RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 18th, 2021, 01:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6652
tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert
By Your Own Grace

GameBy Your Own Grace

Theme:kingdom building in the shadow of awaking evil

FlavorMysteries, Politics and Haunts

Campaign SettingCampaign World: I'll provide some background in the game folder, once is createdAventuria

A few years ago, when the shadow of the Heptarchs fell over the heartland of Great Empire, the principality of Darpatia was hit particularly hard by the events: An army of undead, bloodthirsty mercenaries, an archdemonic cataclysm in at its capital Guardsford. Where the devastation was strongest, the light of order disappeared and a lawless land emerged: the Wildermark

In Wildermark, everyone is his own master: where mercenaries and robbers terrorize the simple population. Where warlords by their own grace rise to power and are pushed from the throne again. Where despair and envy prevail. Where even faith in the gods wavers from time to time.

In these times of turmoil, but also of new beginnings, the churches of the Twelve Gods seek to plant a seed of hope in the hearts of the people of Wildermark. To this end, Brother Travinor, priest of Travia, has been commissioned by the Order of the Three Sisters to accompany a wagonload of blessed seeds to Boarswood, and once there, to build a temple. The characters joined Brother Travinor to protect him, his few companions and the ox-cart with the precious blessed seeds.

ExpectationsI looking for 5 or 6 players to take for this campaign. To keep it simple, I'd like to go with a
  • Core Rule Book (all)
  • Advanced Class Guide (Feats/Spells/Gear & Magic Items)
  • Advanced Player's Guide (all, but Hero Points)
  • Advanced Race Guide (Feats/Spells/Gear & Magic Items)
  • Ultimate Combat (Gunslinger/Archetypes/Feats/Spells/Gear & Magic Items)
  • Ultimate Magic (Magus/Archetypes/Feats/Spells/Gear & Magic Items)
  • Ultimate Intrigue (Vigilante/Archetypes/Feats/Spells/Gear & Magic Items)
  • Ultimate Wilderness (Shifter/Archetypes(also for companions)/Feats/Spells/Gear & Magic Items)
  • Ultimate Campaign (Traits and Story Feats, but goal cannot be reached at the start of the game)
  • Ultimate Equipment (all)
reduced amount of sources. All resources can be found on d20pfsrd.com, aonprd.com or legacy.aonprd.com (however, not all sources, e.g. variant rules, you find there are applicable for this game. If you are in doubt, feel free to ask. If you have questions about pantheon, regions, orders or organisations of the campaign world, do not hesitate to ask.

What will you chars experience in "By your own Grace"
  • You will become the 'lords' for a small city.
  • There will be diplomatic and battle field challenges with neighbouring baronies, raiding warbands as well as vengeful spirit of a warlord.
  • Based on your decisions you will make allies and enemies
  • in-game kingdom building based on your characters choices.

Application and RessourcesPlease include the following content in your application
Name:
Race: Core Races, you can swap one ability bonus to another ability of the same type, i.e. physical ability or mental ability, you can have alternative racial trait.
Class/Archetype: Core and Base Classes only /max 1 Archetype from Advanced xxx or Ultimate xxx
Alignment: no evil alignment
Personality:
Background: keep it brief, but address 1) why your char joined Travinor on his travel to Boarswood and 2) what he could add to the 'kingdom building'

Everything else you need to know
Starting Level: 4
Abilities: 20-point buy, no unmodified ability below 10
Traits: yes, 1 Trait
HP: Full at level 1, and 3/4 of max thereafter, round up the total
Wealth: 6000 gp, no single item above 3000 gp, no self-crafted items except for bonded items.
Background Skills: yes, but alter sleight of hand to adventuring skills
uncommon weapons: emerging firearms, no eastern stuff.
Hero Points: no
Posting rate: This is a campaign that runs over about 2 years in game time. A posting of of 1-3 posts/week, should be fine. If you don't post for a week I'll move on and start to NPC your char after in the second week. If you can, let me know ahead, if you need or want to take a break. Real life is real and you have to take care of yourselves.
The Elephant in the Room: yes, we apply the rules for Feat Taxes

Application DeadlineApplication open till 7th of March

Submitted Applications
NameRaceClassPlayerStatus
HughHumanMagusDraconigenaArmacomplete - to be reviewed
Bolas "Solwreath" SturmHumanPaladinSeasons Endwork in progress
Pharom FalovelElfAlchimistNoquarter19complete - to be reviewed
Zumra BitterbrewerDwarfInquisitorNovawurmsoncomplete - to be reivewed
Lady Sindria Di MemsipepGnomeCavalier(Emissary/Order of Blue Rose)Briancomplete - to be reviewed
Gensym FoundlingHumanSorcerer, dual bloodlines: serpentine&feyCatCanCookcomplete - ready for review
further anticipated applications
- blubbhub (halfling cavalier)
- LeDragon (?)
- Firecat (druid?)

Starting a new Campaign: apply for By Your Own Grace

Last edited by tilbert; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 05:33 AM.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Novawurmson Novawurmson
Absolutely interested. Expect an application by Sunday at noon.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 09:44 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10198
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Application
Name: Hugh
Race: Human
Class/Archetype: Magus
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Personality: Hugh is a grizzled veteran soldier who has, much to his chagrin, found himself in roles of responsibility by virtue of his prowess, not necessarily by any personal motivation toward leadership. This gives him a down to earth disposition, still considering himself "one of the men," even when it is to his detriment. In contrast, Hugh's cunning works in his favor, as he does not have any of the social baggage associated with those who come by their prowess through elitist means. This also means he tends to fit in less with the aristocracy he finds himself progressively spending more and more time having to associate with. Hugh is studious without being bookish, not loving his study as much as understanding the value of being proficient at it. This sense of duty applies to most of his life, as he knows there is importance in moderating his diet, maintaining his health, keeping his skill at arms competitive, etc. This almost clinical analysis also leads him to be able to make choices without emotion others would find difficult, as he is more concerned with the ends and considers the means justified by the goal.
Background: Hugh was born and raised by a peasant family. Not penniless and poor, his father worked as a clerk in a manorial household and so, one of Hugh's main breaks in life was how he happened to learn to read. When he grew up and joined a martial retinue, being able to read and write set him apart from most of the other boys, and garnered the attention of his superiors. This lead to increased responsibility, and access to materials which would have been lost on other soldiers of his station. Mingling with war mages and other wizards Hugh demonstrated an aptitude for arcane magic, if not the temperament for studious study, as he was too active and invested in his lifestyle to stop being a man-at-arms long enough to become a mage. Like the other dominos of fate, this warrior who could master a cantrip or two's reputation got around enough he was taken on as a squire to a magus knight. Many years later, after establishing himself as a reliable and relentless member of any fighting company, he was knighted himself which garnered him ever increasing amounts of responsibility and authority. When it was posed to him he should protect Travinor on his journey, Hugh accepted the assignment. Socially, Hugh would add to nation building as a dutiful knight to whomever the ruler is. His general morality focuses on loyalty, duty, and honor: but the mission comes over the comfort and sometimes good men have to do bad things to achieve the noble outcome. This makes him a valuable foil to characters who assume the opposite perspective, they may temper the more heinous acts he may perform in the pursuit of the mission while he may encourage success through making hard decisions other characters would recoil from. He serves the campaign, as a magus, by being both a useful addition to combat and a valuable and utilitarian adventurer; while also being intelligent and versatile enough to be useful in a governmental and administrative role.

QuestionAre you going to be using Pathfinder's kingdom building rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilbert View Post
@DraconigenaArma: actually I plan to drive the "the players will start with a small townkingdom" development based on the roleplay decisions and action. Mechanics should be in the background. The kingdom building rules seem disconnect the roleplay from that task of running the kingdom and suggest a level of control that players may not always have. I'll have a second look into kingdom building rules.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 19th, 2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 02:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert tilbert
@Novawurmson: great. new players are welcome.

@DraconigenaArma: actually I plan to drive the "the players will start with a small townkingdom" development based on the roleplay decisions and action. Mechanics should be in the background. The kingdom building rules seem disconnect the roleplay from that task of running the kingdom and suggest a level of control that players may not always have. I'll have a second look into kingdom building rules.

Last edited by tilbert; Feb 19th, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 08:17 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Fair. I don't necessarily urge the use of them, I just remembered they existed. The rules as I remember them remind me of board games as much as rpgs, like a pen and paper version of Settlers of Catan. Anyway, I'll update my first post with an application.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 19th, 2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Novawurmson Novawurmson
I'm leaning inquisitor right now, but I've got a few ideas. What gods are there that explicitly deal with death/undeath in a non-evil alignment? Gods like Pharasma, Evening Glory, Blood of Vol, Anubis/Osiris, etc.?

Also, I know you said core and base classes - are hybrid and unchained classes allowed?
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3781
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Hi Tilbert,

You cited www.d20pfsrd.com as an acceptable source -- but it includes a bunch of alternative rule systems, for example here:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/

Do you want to explicitly rule those out? Or if you allow Spheres characters for example they'll just be much more powerful than their Paizo only counterparts.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Feb 19th, 2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@ Novawurmson: Boron would be corresponding god in Aventuria. He's one of the Pantheon of the Twelve.

Last edited by tilbert; Feb 19th, 2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@CatCanCook and Novawurmson: As mentioned, I'd prefer to go with a reduced amount of sources. It's a conscious choice. I'll put up a more clear definition of what will be included in the reduced amount of sources.

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Novawurmson Novawurmson
I mean, I will always use more sources if they're available to me, but inquisitor of Boron is shaping up to be my jam.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
Name: Bolas "Solwreath" Sturm
Race: Human
Class/Archetype: Paladin 4
Alignment: Lawful Good
Personality: Brusque yet kind, Bolas is a man devoted to his duty as a protector on and off the field, as well as his occupations. The job at hand is where his focus lies, always doing his best to make his current actions benefit future states, thinking steps ahead to the best of his ability. Because of this he puts in the extra effort to be kind and personable as best he can, but often finds himself wrapped up in the job instead.
Bolas will lend an ear when needed though his advice is occasionally very matter of factly and solution oriented. He works to manage his expectations for the most part, as his greatest struggle is not being able to solve all the world's problems with his own hand, and through age has found that the greatest help can come from others.

Background:

On the subject of pantheons, I was considering a Paladin of Sarenrae, is there an equivalent there?

Last edited by Seasons End; Feb 19th, 2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasons End View Post
On the subject of pantheons, I was considering a Paladin of Sarenrae, is there an equivalent there?
Which aspect of Sarenae is more dominant in your perception? I see either Sun and Glory, or Healing and Patience?

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 07:00 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Application complete.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilbert View Post
Which aspect of Sarenae is more dominant in your perception? I see either Sun and Glory, or Healing and Patience?
Sun and glory, bringing light once more to a darkened land. Burning away anything unholy
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 03:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2930
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Complete. Let me know if there's more you'd like me to flesh out.

Application for By Your Own Grace
right-aligned image
Pharom Falovel

Race: Elf

Class: Alchemist

Alignment: CN

Personality: Because of their long lives, elves have learned to be more patient than many of the other more mortal races. Pharom Falovel is not one of these. Always eager to find the next discovery, brew the next potion, Pharom rarely seems to have the time for others. In fact, this lack of patience, coupled with his propensity for making things explode, led to the expulsion of Pharom from his study as a wizard. All to the good, Pharom thinks, as now he can devote more time to hands-on experimentation, and less to just reading the theories of magic. Pharom is a firm believer that the gods help those who help themselves, and so unless they have an interest in his potions or letting him try out some of his new explosives, he prefers that they help themselves to leaving him the hell alone.

Background: Once an aspiring wizard, Pharom Falovel has come upon some bad luck in the last few years. Some of that is due to circumstances beyond his control – the death of his parents while on a southern voyage and subsequent collapse of the family business – while more has to do with Pharom’s own lack of charm. His impatience to take the time to study certainly did him no favors up at the wizard’s college, and his unsanctioned experiments into poisons and explosives – the last of which led to some very expensive damage of the college infrastructure – led to his expulsion. Convinced that he had learned everything from a book that he needed to, Pharom set out on his own, with little more than the clothes on his back, an alchemy set, and a field guide to indigenous plants.

It was around this time that Pharom crossed paths with the Brother Travinor. The good priest was planning a trip to the Wildermark, a lawless place beyond the watchful eyes of the empire. At first, Pharom was intrigued by the talk of the seeds, for there was no mention of them in his field guide, and the possibility of studying them for possible alchemical properties was very interesting. When the good priest revealed that the seeds were blessed, and would be used for the purposes of creating a holy temple, Pharom interest waned quickly. Still, he thought, as he stomped off from the suddenly confused priest, it might be a fun idea to get away, head out into this uncharted Wildermark, and carve out my own niche. The prospect of living in a place with no rules, no watchful masters, and all the time and wild plants I might need…

”Hey, you know what, on second thought, I will accompany you, Brother.”

”You will? Wonderful, child! I shall treasure both your protection and your company!”

”I’m not your child. I don’t want you trying to convert me on this trip, either. I’m a traveling companion, not a member of your congregation. Now, lead on.”

[OOC: Pharom's role in the kingdom will be the friendly neighborhood alchemist, only without the friendly part. He'll brew potions for the townsfolk to fund his research, and in that sense contribute to the growth of the kingdom, but he's pretty selfish]