Game Thread Chapter 6 - Off to Sea - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Knick Knacks of Doom > Trinket Hunters
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3173
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
"Stratus!" Ceridwen shouts, watching as one of the sailors wavers dangerously on the yard arm, jerking the footrope about and earning curses from his peers, "You should come down before someone gets hurt. Of course it's going to be a bit loud, we're basically staying in the belly of a drum."

Once she's sure Stratus is convinced there's no threat, she decends the ladder again, returning to the conversation that had been interrupted by the sailors' pesky work. At Ezechiel's suggestion, Ceridwen scowls, ignoring his amusement and his jape.
"Why should I have to bunk alone?" Dwen honestly can't remember the last time she's had to sleep in a room devoid of other intelligent life, and she finds the idea unsettling. She vaguely remembers that her roommate at the library had left to visit family for a week once, and it had been nice to have some privacy... for a night. Then it got lonely. Though Hravingar had the tendency to wander off with his slim need for sleep, she'd gotten used to having the others nearby when she bedded down for the night.
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Justiciar of Peregratas

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2421
brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka
Seeing stratus appear in a cloud of black ink, Hravingar raises a brow and says, "Stratus, what are you....put the blade away, I promised the captain this would not be an issue." Seeing Ceridwen with the same concern, He gets up to follow her down to see why the dragonborn had been startled in the first place, only to realise it was the ships movement that caused him distress. Feeling he had missed something and come in halfway through, he mentioned anyways, "While I have the fortitude to bear the cold at night, Sigurd does not. If you request company while you sleep, I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

Last edited by brann miekka; Jan 8th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1041
Valistar Valistar Valistar Valistar Valistar Valistar Valistar Valistar
The teenager that the group had seen earlier when meeting with the captain is outside helping with preparations and visibly shivering despite being bundled up more heavily than most. When Stratus takes off the teenager jumps and screams a little and the rope in his hands catches fire. He quickly puts it out with his bare hands and looks around to see if any of the crew had noticed him jump. He had realized quickly (after some of the other guests had checked him out) that Stratus wasn't really a danger and more just unused to being on a ship. "Landlubbers..." He says under his breath. "I wish I were with them though..." The teenager looks longingly at where the guests were staying and then gets back to work continuing to coil the rope on the deck. Getting a ship underway was always an all-hands operation, and unfortunately a damn cold one right now. He was going to be much happier once he got to go back below decks where it was at least a bearable temperature, still cold, but bearable. It was times like this that his heritage worked against him.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:08 PM
囲碁選手七

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8559
goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7 goplayer7
Hubert shrugs, "I'm fine with that arrangement." Turning to Ceridwen, "If you don't want to sleep alone, then I'm sure that you can think of someone to be in the same cabin as you to make the split more even," with an unconscious turning towards Ezechiel as he pulls out a small crystal from his backpack, "That reminds me, I still have that crystal that can be put on armor to allow one of us to endure the elements if anyone feels that they need it with this cold." Hubert finishes.
I am no longer actively looking at this site, but may come back at some point. If you do want to reach out to me for some reason, make some attempt before saying I'm a lost cause [Discord, Reddit, anywhere you can find my username].

Last edited by goplayer7; Jan 8th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
"Sigurd is welcome to hang out with me if you want him out of the elements at night, but I was hoping for sentient company. Maybe Stratus? Unless you think I have cooties, too." Dwen spares a doubtful glance at Ezechiel, as she asks the winged man, knowing the shadowbane prefers to keep his distance.

As to the stone, she answers, "I'm set against the temperature, but I'm sure someone can make use of it."

She gives the pack she'd dropped a kick into the cabin, sighing, already feeling a bit cooped up. "So, how are we meant to amuse ourselves for this indefinite voyage?"
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck

Last edited by MagicallyMusing; Jan 8th, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Justiciar of Peregratas

Tools
User Statistics
brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka
"I brought gear to fish. We may run into an interesting phenomenon on the way to our destination maybe. I'm also pretty sure if we look around long enough we are going to find at least one interesting crew mate. Anyways, I'm returning topside, the ocean is beautiful and I can't wait to see some of the creatures that inhabit it." Turning about and returning to the top of the deck, Hravingars eye noted the young one who was waiting on Napier when they first boarded the ship. Stepping across the gently rocking deck he stops behind the lad at work and says, "I thought you were Napiers steward, why are you working these....rope..things?" Dreadfully unfamiliar with boats, he embarrassedly scratches his neck while looking around at the jigsaw of of strange rope and pulley systems as well all the weird riggings.

Last edited by brann miekka; Jan 8th, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
"Well, cabin boy, assistant cook, and junior sailor. Right now I'm coiling up some of the lines we used to moor the ship so that they are ready to use when we pull into our next port and so that they don't get in the way while we are sailing." Squeee!!! One of them is talking to me! The teen thought as he responded to the question, while trying not to look as excited as he actually was. He rubs his hands together for a bit to try to warm them up. This close it is easy to tell that the lad had bronze, almost red skin and pink eyes. It was obvious that he was not a native to these waters. "After we've set sail I'll be stopping by your cabin to ensure you have everything you need and are comfortable. If you'd like some entertainment at that time I'm sure we could trade stories. In the mean time, do you have any other questions about the ship?"
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
Stepping up behind Hravingar, Ceridwen asks, "What's her rig? We had ships of all kinds in Cambridge, and I tried to learn, but I was always hopeless. While we're here, I figure I can at least learn one rig and learn what makes her such. What's her deck length? Why do you have so many sailors? It seems like with a little magical assisstance, so many hands would be unnecessary. The merchant ships I encountered often had half as many hands." Looking at the colorful lad, Dwen can't help feel a bit drab herself in her paleness, even accounting for her blue hair. "I'm sorry, that was a lot all at once. I have a hard time quitting talking some days. What's your name? I'm Ceridwen. Of Cambridge, not that it matters."
–John Steinbeck
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
"This here is a Brig, she has two masts and is 200 feet long as far as you are concerned. The rest of the length is more to just keep things in place. The Cap'n spends most his money on quality of life and comforts so there is a lot less for magical propulsion. As for the trade ships, they likely had two to three times the numbers that you saw. After all, ships have to run constantly and everyone has to sleep some time. Which goes back into why we have so many crew... It makes life easier not having to stand watch constantly." Lacha responds carefully. He was a pretty good sailor, but he also knew it helped to translate to something non-sailors understood. He liked the questions, but he loved attention in general, so that was okay.

"My name is Lacha, and don't worry about all the questions. I enjoy answering them Cerdwhen... No, that's not quite right. Ceridwen. That is how you pronounce it right?" Lacha wasn't great with pronouncing new names... and even worse when he was freezing. He breathes on his hands and rubs them together again. His breath was much hotter than a normal human's, but still not quite hot enough to overcome the cold air. I really need to invest in better gloves Lacha thought while contemplating the last pair he owned.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Justiciar of Peregratas

Tools
User Statistics
Grinning, Hravingar listens in incredibly interested. He doesn't understand much of what's being said between Dwen and the boy Lacha, the slang means less then normal common to him, and when he repeats the name he says, "That is correct Lacha. And once your duties are done I would love to trade some tales...but for now, sorry; I did not intend to interrupt your work. I am Hravin of clan Gar. You may call me Hrav, or Hravingar, either works." The killoren warrior gives a slight bow and walks away, finding himself a barrel to rest on, Hrav looks about with casual curiosity at the workings of the ship, before letting his view finally slip to the rolling waves of the Cut Hravingars scene until some other force tries to interact with him.ocean.

Last edited by brann miekka; Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
"Thank you Hrav, I don't mind the interruptions as they help distract me from the water and cold. I'll be down in a bit to trade some tales. I may have more than you might expect despite being only 69 years old." Replied Lacha as he bows back to Hrav and continues working while paying attention to the people talking to him. Most of it was mindless work right now, luckily. Am I 69? Or am I 70 yet? How the heck to elves keep track of their age? I may have to start recording that information so I stop forgetting. Oddly, age had never mattered that much to Lacha. Dwarves and gnomes were the closest at maturing to him, but he was still a little slower to mature than they were. It was the main problem with being a rather uncommon race. At least he was humanoid enough to attempt to pretend to be normal.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
As Hravingar withdraws, Ceridwen goes a little sheepish since she'd never realized that his name included a clan name. Ah well, he'd never seemed to have noticed her ignorance on the subject. Recovering, Dwen turns her attention back to the sailor, "It is good to meet you, Lacha. You can call me Dwen if it's easier for you. My friends do. I'll leave you to it. I'd hate for you to get yelled at on my account."

Her eyes widen at the sailor's declaration of his age, though she says nothing. Where she had assumed he'd be several years her junior, he turned out to be more than three times her age. That was... interesting, as well as unexpected.

Dwen does her best to keep out of the way, picking over the lines on the deck, apologizing profusely when she ends up entagled in one or stumbles against one of the sailors. Eventually she finds a spot where she can stay out of the way and still observe the deck, squished between one of the ladders to the quarterdeck and the massive bilge pump.
–John Steinbeck

Last edited by MagicallyMusing; Jan 9th, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21174
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
The hellspawn glares at the sun-priest and nearly returns Ceridwen's scowl. But he relents and quips instead: "Far be it from me to suggest roomier accommodations, then. As you wish, I'll bunk with you." In retrospect, he's not thrilled with the idea of leaving her in a room by herself on ship full of sailors, disciplined or no. And his unwelcome visitor will not be due for quite some time, so little concern over that for now. "Do you prefer being on the top or bottom?" he asks, hastening to add, "Bunk. Top or bottom bunk?" The stern look on his face patently warns her, "Not. One. Word."

Turning quickly to another subject, he echoes: "Amuse ourselves? Didn't you bring any of your literary trove with you?"
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Rarity is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1860
dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185
Stratus returns in a soft pop of air beside Ceridwen, visible shaken and carrying the cold air. His wings folded and he leaned over Ceridwen - "Let's bunk together," he says smiling. He looks at the stweward with narrowed eyes and listened to the ship talk. He shook his head and sighed, "This is my first time on a ship actually, I come from the mountains and the biggest thing we needed was a canoe sometimes," he added, superfluously. Stratus silently mouthed the name over and over again, trying to remember it before he was asked to say his name.

With a little work he was watching the ship move. It didn't quite make sense to him and he idly rubbed his hand together. This was going to be an impossibly boring trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21174
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Stratus' offer earns an unabashed death glare from Ezechiel, before the hellspawn even realizes he's giving it. The dark crimson glow of his eyes "suggests" in no uncertain terms, that the dragonborn best reconsider that idea.