Notices

Old Jan 17th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 302
Tfarley Tfarley Tfarley Tfarley
Hi Homestarbaby,

Thanks for putting up this adventure ad. I hope you consider me as one of the adventurers.

Thelamin character application
Name: Thelamin

Description:
Thelamin is a high elf of noble and rich descent. He is a tall, slim elf with long blonde hair; wearing high end red silk robes with subtle threads of gold weaving through the fabric in the cuffs and lining. He has a wand tucked up his sleeve for when the moment arises and magic is needed.

Class: Wizard

Motivation: Thelamin has had a life of shelter and riches growing up in the elvian castle of Springleaf with his father "Thalamin", who was always telling him stories of adventures that he had been on. Revaling in the monsters he had slain and treasures he had uncovered, which lead to the status he and his family have today. Thelamim wants nothing more than to follow in his fathers footsteps and be as legendary as his father appears to be.
The elf had heard rumours of dungeons that needed to be cleared of monsters in the nearby area and was holding up in the village until he met the contacts that had agreed to show him where the dungeons were. However, being an inexperienced adventurer, Thelamin was unsure of how to take down dungeon dwelling monsters or even how to go about preparing enough food by himself!

Target Role: Group Leader (from his desire to follow in his father's foot steps. My view is that he will try to succeed, but may fail drastically to start with due to his inexperience)

Roleplaying Sample: Thelamin arrived in the village of ....., eager to find his prearranged contacts and slay his first monster. "Jayvon we made it! We made the 100 mile journey to this...beautiful? new place. Our next move is to find these contacts my father made and go slay some dragons!! I oddly don't feel tired at all.".

Jayvon, the high elves servant, trudged his way over to Thelamin and dropped the 7 heavy bags he had carried for the entirety of the journey. He quickly turned on his heels, drew in a deep breath and began walking away from the nobles son. "Where are you going Jayvon?! You're supposed to be helping me!" exclaimed Thelamin.

Jayvon stopped dead in his tracks, shoulders suddenly hunched in frustration. He turned his head slightly and spoken in a forcefully calm voice "No sir...my orders were you get you to this village safely I have done that and now I am going to leave. Perhaps if you had carried at least one bag during this 100 mile journey, I would consider staying to help further. Good bye sir and good luck".

Thelamin watched as his servant walked further and further into the distance. This was the first time he had been left on his own and the excitement he had suddenly turned into dread and fear. However, he was determined to succeed, so he picked up 4 out of his 7 bags and made his way towards the nearest tavern for a room.

Poicture uploaded!

Last edited by Tfarley; Jan 18th, 2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 05:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1871
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfarley View Post
Hi Homestarbaby,
I'm not sure how to put a picture on this thread. I know I need to use the [img] quotation, but not actually sure what text to put in to get the picture up in the screen.
Once you have found a picture you'd like to use from a google search, right click on the image and select "copy image address" you can then paste that code directly to the forum in between your image tags. alternatively if you are using imgur, you can copy directly from their website using the img tags they provide.

You can also use image wrapping by using IMGL or IMGR instead of just the plain IMG tags

for example [img ] https://www.nhm.ac.uk/content/dam/nhmwww/discover/wpy-2020-winning-images/wpy-winning-image-full-width.jpg[/img ] (just remove the space)

Last edited by Alemar; Jan 17th, 2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 12:13 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Shatterstorm Shatterstorm
Well hello. New to the site. Just spent half an hour going over the application post, thinking about this game, and I have a character concept that I'm kind of excited about. But I have to ask one question. You say any published sources. So, will you accept a Warforged character?
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5017
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Yes, Warforged are acceptable from books such as Eberron: Rising From The Last War. Unearthed Arcana variants would not be acceptable, however.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2211
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Tower graduate #820
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 02:42 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 302
Tfarley Tfarley Tfarley Tfarley
Application complete

Hi Homestarbaby,

Just letting you know that I have completed my application with a picture, as requested.

Thanks,
Tfarley

Last edited by Tfarley; Jan 19th, 2021 at 02:42 AM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 04:23 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Constructed Ranger, Model 0, Weapons Variant. Most Fleshies call it Crow.

Description:
right-aligned image

Invented nearly 200 years ago the CR-0-W is in some ways quite crude, and in others highly advanced. Standing barely six foot tall, it's lower body is closely covered in studded leather armor that has been thoroughly worked with leaves and grasses, leaving the leather permanently stained a uniform light green.
The head is very rough forged, dark and lumpy, shaped much like a knight's helm, the eyes, little more than slits that still somehow seem to see everything at once, rise above a slightly curved shape similar to a human mouth, from which emerges a strange voice, almost sounding like a person trying to speak by shouting into a tin spittoon. On either side of the head is what looks like an inset series of concentric circles ending in the center in a small, dark hole.
The hands, however, are finely crafted instruments. Barely larger than normal human hands they have the appearance of silver gauntlets.

Class: Ranger. Favored Enemy: Gobinoids.

Motivation: Crow, known to the villagers as the Legend The Woods Crow, has taken it upon itself to be a Defender of the village. If that means revealing itself to the world again, so be it.

Target Role: Defender, Speaker to Goblins

Roleplaying Sample: Just a brief paragraph (LOL, Sorry, that's not going to happen. I've had a full day to develop this character.)

Half a mile north of the village, 200 feet from the road, 50 feet in the air, CR-0-W sat in it's small platform treehouse, constructed over the years as the best place to spend it's six hour downtimes, thinking over the events of the day.

Too late. it thought. A century of protecting these people, and the one time it really counted I was too late. The thoughts, to say the least, are not pleasant. My fault? Could it have been my fault? It begins searching it's memories.

Memory Engram. 34,117 days ago.
To the West the gold and purple wrapped sun had breached the horizon many minutes previously, to the East the ink-stained indigo of night had begun to spread it's billowing cloak over the land.

The donkey-pulled two wheeled cart carrying the small family of Halfling merchants was not going to make the village before the darkness had swept over them. CR-0-W kept pace with the cart, hidden carefully in the treeline, keeping it's presence unknown. The small party of hunting Goblins it had been tracking for the past six hours was near, the last spoor, found just moments ago, had been less than 10 minutes old. Goblins hunting for food was one thing, Goblins hunting bigger prey was something else entirely.

Even as it found the place where the Goblins had left the treeline to advance on the road, the trap was sprung. Three Goblins, each armed with a shortbow, had moved out into the road from hiding, and forced the cart to stop. It was too far away to hear the shouted words, but it could imagine what they were.

Reaching behind it's left shoulder it pulled out the strange layered brass long bow given to it by it's creator. It's right hand reached back, and pulled the first arrow from the belt quiver. With no warning it knocked the arrow, took aim, and loosed it's shot. The arrow flew true, taking the hindmost Goblin in the throat and dropping it to the ground.

The remaining Goblins, sensing that their ambush had been ambushed, turned, trying to find the attacker, but it was already too late. Two more quick arrows, and the Goblins were no more.

CR-0-W watched the cart for a moment, as the Halflings, having no understanding of what had just happened, cowered in terror. It realized that for the first time in nearly 3,000 days, indeed for only the second time in the 8,761 days since it had arrived on this continent, it would have to reveal itself to mortals, to assuage their fear.

No it thought. That is far too far back. Goblins live short lives, they would not hold a grudge this long. It began looking at other memories.

Memory Engram. 19 days ago.

CR-0-W had always found it mildly humorous that all of the flesh beings of the world seemed to have the same mental blind spot. Very few of them ever thought to look Up.

Two days it had been following these Goblins. Always above them, moving quietly through the tree tops, keeping a close eye on them. When they rested it moved in closer, listening to them talk among themselves. But they were a very canny group, rarely mentioning their purpose in these woods. CR-0-W had only managed to glean that someone, sometimes called Boss, or The Boss, or just Him, wanted to find a hidden way to the village, and this group had been sent to find it.

The scouts were already too close to the village. CR-0-W could not allow them to return with this information. Once they bedded down for the night, it moved in. Slowly. Quietly. The dagger at it's left hip drank much blood this night.

It had been the work of the last half of the night to gather the small bodies, and take them to Silky. The albino she-wolf and her pups had been most grateful for the unexpected feast, and had made quick work of covering up the evidence of the true cause of death.

Yes CR-0-W thought That could well have been the catalyst. Something caused the Goblins to attack in force. Maybe it was me.

The train of thought followed, Crow gathered itself up. There was only one solution. It may have been the problem. It would finalize the equation.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 210
UGOTMERCd UGOTMERCd UGOTMERCd
Hello. I'm completely new to the site, and the first, last, and only time I've played D&D was about 10 years ago, when I played a 4e one shot.

I have desperately wanted an opportunity to play again, but my schedule just doesn't allow for normal tabletop gathering and gaming.

I'd like the opportunity to submit a character, but the reality is I'm so unfamiliar with RPing in general, let alone PbP. I'm willing to fill just about any role, and I doubt I have much in the way of my own 'style'.

Would anyone be willing or able to give me any guidance in terms of what kind of character I should develop? Or am I perhaps starting in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance,
MERCd
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGOTMERCd View Post
Hello. I'm completely new to the site, and the first, last, and only time I've played D&D was about 10 years ago, when I played a 4e one shot.

I have desperately wanted an opportunity to play again, but my schedule just doesn't allow for normal tabletop gathering and gaming.

I'd like the opportunity to submit a character, but the reality is I'm so unfamiliar with RPing in general, let alone PbP. I'm willing to fill just about any role, and I doubt I have much in the way of my own 'style'.

Would anyone be willing or able to give me any guidance in terms of what kind of character I should develop? Or am I perhaps starting in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance,
MERCd
I'm pretty new to the site myself, but I've been looking it over. Your best bet, with that little experience, is to go over to the Solo Adventure forums, find a DM who is willing to work with someone new (there seems to be a lot of them), and spend a few weeks playing one-on-one to get familiar with rules and playing by post.

As for what kind of character to develop, that's entirely up to you, and what makes RPGs so fun. Over the forty years I've been playing RPGs I've been everything from a brash, rich, Wizard whose farts smelled like roses to a lowly orphan urchin living on the streets that had to learn to steal things just to survive. Here, and only here, you can be anything, and anybody, you want to be.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the advice @Shatterstorm! I think the idea of being anyone I want, portraying the Hero and being part of a team is exactly what I'm looking for! Especially during these trying times.

I've made an application to play with a GM in a one-on-one as well. That does seem a good way to get some experience. But I also like the idea of jumping right into the deep end, so to speak. No pain, no gain!

I'll probably post a simple character application here soon, just to see what happens!
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Owain Strongarm

Description: Owain is a Half-Orc Villager. How he came to be there is TBD, but he's about 16 years old; young for a man but among Orcs he'd be considered grown. He stands about 6'3", isn't as burly as many of his kind but is still well muscled. He trains regularly with arms and is an active member of the village guard or militia. When not fighting he can be found assisting villagers or local farmers with physically demanding tasks or in the pub looking for a drink.
Owain is proud, headstrong, sometimes obstinate and occasionally aggressive. But he loves his village and has a fondness for most of the villagers, who I would assume have accepted him despite his heritage.
right-aligned image

Class: Owain's regular practice under arms makes him a good Fighter; some real battle experience will likely lead to him developing his his talents as a Battle Master.

Motivation: Owain's motivation comes from his love of the village, from his desire to protect those with whom he lives, and his desire to test himself against real enemies. Someday he'll be a warrior of unrivaled prowess!

Target Role: Owain is a protector. Heavily armoured and shielded, he'll do everything he can to protect his allies in battle and draw the brunt of the physical attacks.

Outside of battle Owain's temperament makes him something of a wildcard. He'd readily lend a hand to those in need. But he'd also start a bar fight without much provocation. And his heritage means that he's always useful for getting uncooperative captives or townsfolk to 'see things his way'.

Roleplaying sample: Downward slash. Shield block. Back-cut. Parry. Thrust and twist. Going through the motions the captain of the guard taught him for single combat. The foes of his mind surrounded him, and he wondered not for the first time how his blade biting into real flesh would feel.
"Owain! Put down that stupid wooden sword and come give me a hand! I can't pull this stump on my own!"
Roderick didn't mince words. Owain liked it that way. The farmer was tanned and worn, like a piece of old leather and Owain was particularly fond of the elder.
"That's because you're getting weak, old man!"
"I can still take you, puppy! Quit flexing your muscles for nothing and come help me. I have to get this stump out before I can plow under this extra plot. I want more productive land this year. There's more people settling in every summer around here and more mouths means we need a bigger harvest. Nature is enemy enough for you for now, so get over here."
Owain sighs. Roderick was right. Maybe he'd get to prove himself soon, but for now he ought to make himself useful.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
1st post has been updated.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 10:45 PM
Romanes Eunt Domus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 460
Raada Raada Raada Raada Raada
There are so many great apps already, but I've been looking for an excuse to break out this character idea and this is too perfect a fit to pass up!

ApplicationName: Harper Glenn
right-aligned image

Description: Though getting near to his late-thirties, Harper looks much younger, whether it be due to luck or the fact that the man preens obsessively. That, along with his shoulder-length blonde hair, short frame, and impish grin would be enough to make some think this grown human is just a tall halfling teen. All of this is reflective of his overall maturity- or rather lack thereof. With a mouth that always seems to run on a mind of its own and not enough muscle to back it up, the man has a tendency to get himself into more trouble than he could handle. That is until recently. When the man gained magic powers by defeating a ghoul, or maybe it was from a sword he pulled out of stone, or perhaps a gracious god gifted Harper abilities after he freed it from a giant. No one actually knows; the story changes every time Harper tells it. But that is Harper in a nutshell, telling his wild tales and showing off his newfound tricks to any who will listen. Keep in mind, he means no malevolence, he simply has a juvenile need for validation and perhaps a smidgen of that attention-seeking daredevil attitude.

Class: Sorcerer (Aberrant Mind)

Motivation: As the only child to owners of the local inn, Harper spent much of his youth keeping the small business afloat. For the most part, he found it tedious, but once or twice a month, an adventurer or even a merry band would stop in at the town for a bit of respite between perils. On those merry days, everyone, from the pig herders to the blacksmith, would gather in the tiny drinking hall just to hear what these brave warriors would have to say. Harper was no different. He would sit and listen to stories of monsters and treachery and damsels in distress until the wee hours of the night, often ignoring the stacks of dishes he had to wash to do so. And even as the years begin to wear down on him, Harper dreams one day of telling stories like those to an adoring crowd.
In Short: Glory & stories of his very own

Target Role: Negotiator/Face, though perhaps Harper likes to imagine himself as the leader, he is just a talker, telling stories to anyone willing to listen. Some will think him childish or over-eager, and while those may ring true, his roguish charm has a way of winning over others.

Roleplaying Sample: Codagh Sample, Allas Sample
First is from an older game, second is from a current one. Hope these are helpful!

Last edited by Raada; Jan 27th, 2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 09:20 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
OOC
Hello,
here is my application for the adventure. I'm relative new to DnD, I'm going through a solo adventure to refresh my knowledge base at the moment, but not so new to writing in play by post format.

I hope I have understood in the right way what you meant with Target Role. If not, please do tell and I'll modify the application accordingly.

If you need a rp example more relevant to a character like Tea, the provided examples are from a character that is quite different from Tea, just say so and I'll draft something for you to read.

Thank you for reading

Application
right-aligned image
Cheerful young mage

Name: Tea Vandram

Race: Human

Description: Cheerful, young girl in her early twenties with fair skin and black hairs usually tied up in a ponytail of sort; big blue eyes behind simple glasses sat atop a regular nose and regular lips often turned into a warm smile.

Class: Wizard

Motivation: Do a good action! And save her birthplace! Even if she had gone abroad to study magic, she had not forgotten her hometown which she held dearly; then, she believes in doing good actions, but the raiders are bad people, so they should not be given a chance to do more bad things!

Target Role: Tea will be the light of positivity! And stubbornness… sometimes. Well... in other words: if she put herself to something, she is going to reach it. If she must save the village, she will do her best for it at the best of her abilities. And through it, she won’t let discouragement pull her away from her goal. Her magic might not be the best and she might be kind of clumsy and messy from time to time... but it is the spirit with which you do things that count, right?

Roleplaying sample:

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 05:55 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Updated again. Got a lot of great applications, and still 9 days until the deadline!