RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 03:26 PM
Wazdakka: King of Flames!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2858
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
The Hills of Crooked Sleep

Applications closedApplications are closed!

Game NameThe Hills of Crooked Sleep

Game SystemD&D 5th edition.

Theme"Long before recorded history, even before the elves, the dwarves, and the oldest dragons, there were the Ancients—beings of great intelligence with a command over science that allowed them to work wonders that most people would liken to that of gods. They traveled to other worlds, reshaped the landscape, built intelligent machines, and harnessed the very building blocks of the universe itself.
And now they’re gone. Long gone. Loooooong gone.
But they left behind caches of their wondrous technologies and creations, which people lump together under the term “numenera.”

"The Ancients built their civilizations, reaching heights we cannot even fully imagine now. They spoke to the stars, reshaped the creatures of the world, and mastered form and essence. They built cities and machines that have since crumbled to dust, leaving the barest remnants. These remnants are usually called “the numenera,” a term that refers to anything that originates from a cache of Ancients’ lore, such as bio-shaped creatures, beings partly replaced with machine-flesh, and creatures brought here from alien worlds and dimensions heretofore unknown. It also includes things that have been indirectly created by the incomprehensible lore of the Ancients—mutants and flesh-shaping accidents, the descendants of experiments, and so on."

The influence of the Ancients is once more about to be unleashed upon the world... and it starts here!

FlavourDungeon crawl in a science fantasy setting. Character exploration with arcana/technology.

Setting
left-aligned image
The adventure begins in Caracara, a small town nestled amongst the Crooked Hills along the Sword Coast. The town itself is small and nondescript with nary a few hundred residents but is currently in its annual festival - where its population swells five times over - and festooned with tents, decorations, stalls and food carts. The cry of vendors can be heard hawking their wares and brightly-coloured kites dart about the sky. The fair grows each year, drawing travellers from far and wide with its competitions of prowess and talk of exotic prizes, and this year is set to be no exception.

Adventure hooks:
  • One of the big draws of Caracara Fair are the kite fights. Each kite is highly decorated. Many are falcon-themed (especially kites owned by locals). The fights draw many observers and competitors every year. One or more of the PCs is entering a kite of their own.Kite-fighting entrant
  • All kinds of vendors show up at the fair every year, and one or more of the PCs might be one of them, selling a specialty food item, crafted items, entertainment in the form of song or a staged production, and so on. On the other hand, a PC could have been hired to provide security.Working the Fair
  • One or more of the PCs has a friend named Rodor the Rat. Rodor has a reputation for “luckily finding” interesting objects, then selling them for a lovely sum. A message from Rodor reached the PC some time ago asking that the character meet her at Caracara fair. The reason? “At last year’s fair, I won a magic trinket of a sort I’ve never seen. No one knew where it came from. We need to find out. Help me, and I’ll split the proceeds with you. See you there!”Meeting a Friend
  • One of the PCs had a wizard mentor who came to Caracara years ago named Umeli, and they’re hoping to catch up. Umeli was a stern taskmaster and certainly had a cruel streak, but taught the PC much.Looking for Umeli
  • A strange device—a knowledge enhancement cypher—is gained while the PC is at the fair. Managing to activate the cypher, the PC has a vision of a petrified forest of geometrical shapes where a stern woman, surrounded by several floating metal handlike objects, sings a strange, unknown tune to something not seen. Certain knowledge comes to the PC that the song is the key of a gate soon to open. The only other information provided is the general location of the town of Caracara. Solving a Mystery

Notable rules and rulingsMAGIC AND THE NUMENERA EQUIVALENCE
The default assumption for Arcana of the Ancients is that certain creatures and objects are treated as if magical, whether that’s to gain immunity vs. nonmagical attacks, to gain magic resistance, or to have their attacks treated as if they were magical. Creatures that are treated as magical are so indicated in their stat blocks.
Devices like cyphers, relics, and iron flesh do not individually call out their effects as being treated as if magic; however, they should be treated as producing magical effects if there is some question whether a triggered ability could affect a monster with magic resistance. For example, if a PC uses their winter torque iron flesh to create a cold burst that might affect a devil that has magic resistance, the devil’s magic resistance applies.
There are a couple reasons for this default position, which go hand in hand. Story-wise, the fundamental extradimensional or cosmic energy that Ancients’ technology uses might well be the same supernatural field that wizards and
gods draw upon. Though the techniques used to produce the effects are different, they both stem from the same original font of chaos and change that underlies reality.
Balance-wise, this allows the machines, devices, and creatures presented in this book to fit into the already-balanced ecosystem of the 5E ruleset, a ruleset that has given much thought to how magical effects play out among powerful entities.

OPTIONAL RULE: INTELLIGENCE (ANCIENTS ARCANA)
Characters can apply half their Arcana skill proficiency (if any) to a task for salvaging or identifying numenera. After the character has had some time gaining familiarity with the numenera, the GM may allow a character to develop their Arcana skill—or gain a completely new Ancients Arcana skill—to allow a character to apply their full proficiency bonus.

At the time of the game the numenera have only been spilling out into the world in this one very specific location for a very limited amount of time. There simply is no knowledge of it in the Forgotten Realms... yet.

OPTIONAL RULE: GM INTRUSTIONS

At any time, the GM can introduce an unexpected complication for a character— this is called a GM intrusion. When a GM intrudes in this manner, they must give that character 2 inspiration. That player, in turn, must immediately give one of those inspiration to another player and justify the gift (perhaps the other player had a good idea, told a funny joke, performed an action that saved a life, and so on).

Often, the GM intrudes when a player attempts an action that, according to the rules, should be an automatic success. However, the GM is free to intrude at other times.

Anytime the GM intrudes, the player can spend 1 inspiration to refuse the intrusion, though that also means they don’t get the 2 inspiration. If the player has no inspiration to spend, they can’t refuse the intrusion.

Character creationLevel: The adventure begins at level 3. It is possible that PCs may know each other so joint applications will be considered
Character sheets: Please do not submit character sheets , however...
Stats: Will be 27 point buy
Hit points: Will be max at first level then roll or average and round up
Advancement: Milestone
Gear: Starting
Alignment: No evil alignments
Source material: Any of the classes found in the DnDdeyond list (including Variant Humans). No Unearthed Arcana. I don't have access to loads of sourcebooks at the moment. I plan to include Arcana of the Ancients material as the adventure progresses but as it stands at the start of the adventure knowledge of and access to 'the numenera' is confined to this immediate area. I am relatively new to 5E so I need to keep things as simple as possible, especially with the added (fun) complications of the sourcebook.
Artificers: The answer is "possibly - if you make a good case and have them flavoured for Faerūn". The Artillerist in particular feels dissonant with the source material and concept.

ApplicationName:
Race:
Alignment:

Appearance:

Backstory:

How will your character react to discovering 'the numenera'?:

(EDIT) RP sample and/or a link to one of your in-game posts:

Other information
  • Application deadline midnight Friday 17th April (UK time)
  • Post rate 2/week, Monday-Thursday and Friday-Sunday. I work shifts in the emergency services and don't want to over-commit.
  • In the interests of fairness and balance I cannot promise any application reviews but will endeavour to answer questions
  • I am looking for a party of 5-6 adventurers
  • Balanced party
  • Good story-telling and character-development
  • Players can expect to reach level 4 by the end of this adventure. Next steps depends on the PCs success or otherwise

Applicants
ApplicantNameRaceClassStatus
RetryDarvye ThorngageHalflingBard (Lore)Complete
TyealVilthal SimiatHigh ElfArtificer (Battle Smith)Complete
JohnStoneRe'nella (Rena)Wood-ElfRogue (Thief)Complete
DanabKaeden WurrenHalf-ElfWarlock (Hexblade)Complete
SOUPlexMerik Oarrick the Lantern BearerHuman (Variant)Warlock (Celestial Patron)Complete
Solitaire64Braug ProwlsonHalf-Orc Fighter (Battlemaster) Complete
HughtheHandDurikhas IronbrowHill DwarfCleric of Thautam (Knowledge)Complete

FAQs
Q: Do you need a roleplay sample and a link to an in-game post?
A: On reflection I do not, especially as this would disadvantage NPSG graduates.
Thank you to everyone who already submitted both.

Q: Are you allowing Artificers?
A: On the one hand I can see why you'd really want to play them in this setting but on the other hand they feel like they could cause me a some headaches flavour-wise for the setting. If the concept is fun, fits in with the setting and would make for a good roleplay experience for the group then I can be persuaded.
DEFINITELY no Armourers as they are Unearthed Arcana / Playtest and I've got enough new rules to concentrate on already. As above, ensure Artificers are flavoured for Faerūn. The Artillerist in particular feels dissonant with the source material and concept.

Applications closedApplications are closed!

Last edited by Lord Ruthers; Apr 17th, 2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added table of applicants
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 03:40 PM
I've returned to help!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21088
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
~COMPLETED~
Darvye Thorngage
right-aligned image
Darvye
Name: Darvye Thorngage
Race: StoutStrongheart Halfling
Class: Bard - Lore
Alignment: CN
Background: Charlatan

Appearance: Standing at the roughly the same height as that of a typical preteen human Darvye, unlike many of his kind, is definitely not mistaken for a child. The signs of a hard life show upon the confident smug face in the form of light scars and wrinkles that have set in already even though he is still so young in comparison with the rest of his kin.

Greasy brown hair that has unlikely seen water in days is pulled back into a low pony tail that rests comfortably on a light leather jacket. A finely groomed beard runs along his jawline to his chin that appears to hold shape purely from the natural oils from his skin.

A simple attire of a light tan shirt and dark linen pants overshadowed by the leather jacket that seems to be his only form of protection. Within the jacket one might be able to spot the halfling's prized possession; a maple finished Viol he calls "Minerva"

Backstory: Life had not been easy for this simple man. A love of coin and the finer things in life - such as ale and women has forced Darvye to spend many a nights in the gutter. Often times leading him into the company of less than savory companions. In the end it always is the same; another fib, another story, another smooth-talking out of a situation that would either leave him just barely alive or even further in debt.

Fluttering from town to town in search of more suckers patrons to beguile with his fabulous viol playing and maybe perchance at some gambling. Darvye has been up and down the Sword Coast numerous times, always looking for a chance to strike at something big and enjoy the boons it brings with it.

How will he react: The bard isn't overly fond of magical trinkets or doo-dads of any sort. Yet, Darvye is no fool either. Just seeing others react gleefully will let him know that someone would most definitely pay handsomely for such things!

Link to in-game post(s)

Last edited by Retry; Apr 9th, 2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7866
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Also dropping a placeholder. I've actually played Torment: Tides of Numenera and the TTRPG, so sprinkling in more grounded magic/arcana tech among already fantastical magic users sounds pretty fun to explore!

Character Application
Application Complete!

right-aligned image

Name: Vilthal Simiat
Race: High Elf
Class: Artificer (Battle Smith)
Alignment: CG

Backstory: Vilthal Simiat was born in the Elven city of Dragonpoint to two Half-Elf parents. Her mother, Eliean Simiat [Azure Rider], and her Father, Am'Zytrillar [Shining Dancer of Ivory] Iatos, were surprised to see their daughter with clear Elven features all around. What came with her high-born-esqe good looks is a brilliant mind. She quickly took apart any and all mechanical devices, starting from her toys and working her way up to clocks. When she got bored of watching grain mills, horse carriages, and even plumbing, she started building things herself out of whatever she could find lying around. More than a few times she was scolded for cannibalizing house watches, clocks, and even a stove in order to make something.

As she reached maturity and made her way through school, she devoured everything that was presented to her and applied it to her love of mechanical machinations. During her graduation ceremony, she actually built a device to fire clouds of confetti and fireworks as she left the stage. No fires were caused by this device. After that, she received a letter from the Mechanist's Guild in the city of Stonefell, having heard of her achievements in school and the few creations she claims to have made. Vilthal jumped on this chance and pulled together funds to send herself far to the west in order to gain the tutoring and knowledge she wanted in order to build something truly spectacular.

When she arrived and was introduced to her fellow Crafters, she got a very frosty reception. It seemed not everyone shared the same enthusiasm over having a female Elf among them trying to craft the next big piece of technology. Regardless, Vilthal threw herself into the class. She suffered a number of setbacks, as her instructor, Golgrim Duskeye, showed her no preferential treatment, and there were a few students who intentionally tried to sabotage her work. By the end of her tutelage, she had completed her major project; A humanoid soldier made form metal, wood, and gears. Powered by a device of her own design that she had worked on intensely in secret for most of her 140 years; An Aetheric generator. A device that drew in the same energy that Wizards shaped to cast spells, and that same energy would power her mechanoid. The purpose of this metal golem would be to be produced on a greater scale and deployed with other Humanoids to create life where there is none, to tame inhospitable lands.

But first she'd need to demonstrate her golem was not only reliable but that the generator powering it was stable before she could consider getting the funding and staff to make such a trip possible. While she tweaked and tinkered in the days after she heard tell of a festival taking place in Caracara. Perfect! Such a place would be flowing with people, drunk or otherwise, and even if she just put on a little show for all to see she could show off the potential of her construct. Afterword everyone would spread the world as they ventured home and the notoriety would soon follow. Excitedly she threw everything she'd need into a big backpack and her tool belt and caught the next carriage out to the Sword Coast town, planning the routine she'd put Stonewall through to show off not only what set him apart but the potential of her Aetheric Generator.

How will your character react to discovering 'the numenera'?: *high-pitch schoolgirl squeal muffled by her work gloves*

Link to one of your in-game posts:
Pumpkin Patch Punch-up
A 'Friendly' Reminder, Inventor to Inventor
Where Half-Dragons Come From

Last edited by Tyeal; Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 06:19 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
COMPLETE

Intro
left-aligned image
Re'nella (Rena)
Race:Mechanically...technically shes a half-elf Wood-Elf (Female, 13)
Class: Rogue (Thief)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Urchin - (Caracara Local)
Plot Hook: Kite Fighter

Personality Trait: People say I ask a lot of questions, but I jus' wanna know stuff.
Personality Trait: I don't like to bathe, I eat like a pig, and have horrible manners.
Ideal: Aspiration- I'm going do something with my life, maybe become a great adventurer.
Bond: None- I want out of this lousy town. Caracara more like Crapacrapa
Flaw: Umm I told you, I don't like to bathe, I eat like a pig, and have horrible manners. Fine, I like to steal stuff.

Numenera? Wow this looks like frickin' amazing. I'm not sure what it is... Is it Magic? What does it do? How much you think it's worth?

DescriptionAppearance:
Well lets see, I'm little, only four feet tall. Mums was little too though but not as much. I have reddish brown hair, green eyes and stupid freckles. I'm kind of a mess right now just haven't had time to do my makeup hehe. sniff sniff... I guess I could use a bath but whiskers, that's my mouse, he doesn't take baths. So why should I have to?

People say I dress like a boy but I just think it's comfortable, leather pants, basic tunic, brown cloak...simple. I do have a nice belt I found, all kinds of pockets and stuff. I like to shoot so I got a bow and this leather wrist thing, bracer aint that what you call it?

Personality:
Ummm Awesome!! Seriously everybody loves me. I'm always doing nice things for people. I hate it when people treat me like a kid. I think I'm pretty funny in a witty sarcastic way. I like to collect stuff like you know trinkets and little treasures. I don't like to sit still got to keep busy you know. sigh Is that good enough?

BackgroundBackstory:
I grew up right here in Crapacrapa, Mums did her best when she was alive. I never knew my father but Mums would tell me stories. I guess he was some Elf ranger or something, that's why my ears are funny. We used to work together doing laundry and cooking for some of the people up in the north district. Me and Mums, not my dad, He's a great adventurer. She got sick a few years ago though. I wanted to help but there wasn't much I could do.

Ever since I've just been making my own way out here in the streets. Sometimes people are nice and help out but mostly I'm by myself. The fruit-farmer Mr. Jacobs he doesn't mind when I take a few things from his cart without asking, at least he's never said anything. I found a way into the back of Ms. Reynold's dress shop and I sleep there sometimes, don't tell her though. Next thing you know she'll have me all gussied up in one of those frilly things.

Lately I'm about the kite fights, I did real good last year. This year I got a real winner. Made it myself, I know it doesn't look like much but she's sturdy, and fast...What do you think pretty sweet huh?

RP Sample:

In Game Posts:
Danelli, a Kender, Looking for a group at the Inn
Dani leaves. Kender don't belong everywhere.

Last edited by JohnStone; Apr 9th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2010
danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab
Have a character I never got to use before. Seems like he'd slot into this game just fine.

Edit: Whoop, will have to rework some stuff.

Application (Complete)
right-aligned image
Name: Kaeden Wurren

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Warlock (Hexblade)

Background: Archaeologist

Alignment: Neutral (Leaning Good)

Hook: Meeting a Friend

Appearance: There is something about Kaeden. Perhaps it's the wild shock of red hair that nearly occludes his intense stare. Or it could be the bold blue robes of his homeland that match his piercing eyes. No, there's something hidden here...

His robes conceal his armor, tools and trinkets. His hexblade rests in a scabbard along side two other nondescript blades. Kaeden lives his life in layers. But when he's laid bare, much like when he draws his translucent blade, he leaves little doubt about his intentions; good or bad.

Backstory: The son of two serfs has come very far in the world indeed. A resident of Amn, he had a unique insight into the power of gold and the way that power flows out into the rest of the world. Propelled from an early age by a mix self-confidence and the desire for a better life, Kaeden has become a dealer in the lost riches of the world. Considering the tumultuous nature of the Coast, Kaeden has found a ready supply of customers for his services and wares. Especially those that have more "discrete" interests in the past. While he does have to fulfill the strange whims of Glass, nothing says that he can't make his fortune along the way.

How will your character react to discovering 'the numenera'?: He wouldn't be that shocked by it. Considering the things he's seen... Wonder, awe? Certainly. But he wouldn't be surprised by what these bits of ancient artifice can do.

Link to one of your in-game posts:
Good Intentions/Bad Luck
Trust

Post rate: Usually Tuesday and Friday are my free days. Wednesday and Thursday are cluttered, but I can usually make a post. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are the most packed and I can rarely post those days, unless I get off from work early.

Last edited by danab; Apr 10th, 2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 12:48 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 294
SOUPlex SOUPlex SOUPlex
Merik Oarrick the Lantern Bearer

Name: Merik Oarrick the Lantern Bearer
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Warlock (Celestial Patron)
Alignment: Neutral Good

left-aligned image
Appearance: A young, tanned man with a sharp nose and brow, and a perpetual light stubble on his face. He is wrapped in clothes that offer protection from the desert winds, and his skin is sun-toughened from exposure. A bright white smile splits his face as he greets you with a familiar ease.
Weight: 183 lbs
Skin: Brown and tanned deeply by the sun
Hair: Sandy blonde
Eyes: Bright Green
Usual Attire: Loose pants and vest, with a wrapped cloth Shumagh over his head.

Backstory:
Merik's family were poor potters with days filled by the drudgeries of eeking by, and Merik wanted none of it. Working with pottery was dirty repetitive, and back-breaking work, and he didn't wish to be stuck in the same rut his parents were in. He took to the streets at a young age, joining the urchins and beggars in the game of urban survival. Growing up on the streets of Tarsus was not as bad as the stories make it out to be. He was able to join in the excitement and thrilling deeds like pocket picking and pulling cons. This lasted many years, until a street boss had an opening in his gang.

Merik found himself competing with one of his peers, Petoril over the spot. The task was simple, sneak into the Scorpion Warren caverns days into the desert - a known hiding spot for the desert raiders to store their ill-gotten goods, and recover an item that was stored there. An item much coveted by the street boss was the target, and it was easily found by the duo. Unfortunately, Petoril was willing to kill for the prestige and spot in the street gang. Merik was not.

This left our poor Merik bleeding on the floor of some long lost cavern. Petoril's light - and the prize - disappearing down a dark corridor. Merik was alone in the dark, slowly dying when a voice reached inside his head. "I can help you leave this cave...but you have to take me with you."

Days later, Merik returned to Tarsus a completely changed man. He carried himself with a confident bearing - a new light burned in his eyes, and an ornate lantern held in his hand. That same day, constables from the city descended on the outpost of one deeply entrenched street gang, and the reward money for the information ended up on the front doorstep of a destitute family of potters.

Merik left Tarsus and never looked back.

Merik's personality is one of a carefree and charming young man. He has smiled his way through many hardships; both those he has gotten himself into, and ones thrust upon him by his endeavors. However, sometimes he acts as if driven by some sort of inner fire, and becomes an immovable object of beneficial purpose. This has become a more and more common occurrence since taking up the Lantern. He has wandered far from his home city, finding new adventure, and following the signs of his inner voice.

Word has reached Merik of an old friend from Tarsus, Rodor the Rat. He was in a small town on the Sword Coast, and had a deal for his old acquaintance from the desert city. Merik was not compelled to venture that far out of his way for such a reason. Until, that is, he woke one morning to find his campfire had escaped the confines of its stone ring, and the embers had burned into the grass a single word "Caracara." It seems the Voice had other plans...

How will your character react to discovering 'the numenera'?: Merik is not a stranger to magical effects, being tied to the Lantern and the Voice himself, however his abilities come from his connection to The Voice, and he has no normal schooling in the Arcane. This would be an object of great power and awe. Even if The Voice told him otherwise, he would find himself entranced by such an ancient object of Lore.

RP sample:
Despite having a lot of real life RP experience, I've yet to successfully get into a game aside from the NPSG. But here are some quotes from that session:

Last edited by SOUPlex; Apr 13th, 2020 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Cleaning up the application
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 02:33 PM
I've returned to help!

Tools
User Statistics
Question:
Do you want an RP sample and links or either or?
Have no problem providing both but am a lazy bear

@SOUPlex - Just so you know, most folks cant see NPSG threads. I can, as a NPSG DM, but Lord Ruther's and others won't be able to.

Last edited by Retry; Apr 8th, 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 06:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3206
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
The Hills of Crooked Sleep application-COMPLETED(?)Name: Braug Prowlson -- COMPLETED
Race: half-orc
Class: Fighter (Battlemaster)
Alignment: CN

Appearance: His brown hair and relatively pale skin coloration show little of his orcish heritage. It's the red flecks in his irises, the sharp ears, and a jawbone twice the size of a human’s that shows he has the fiery blood of orcs is in him. At almost six and a half feet, he is well built though not as stocky or muscular as most half-orcs. He has a thick neck and a large nose that has obviously been broken many times.

Backstory: Braug is an ex-mercenary who grew up in the sword coast, estranged from his family and currently at loose ends. He hopes to find an employer to hire him as a gaurd.

How will your character react to discovering 'the numenera'?: Magic is magic, as far as he is concerned. At least until the amazement of those around him starts to clue him in, and he can see the difference between a mere wand and the wonders of the Ancients. Then he is likely to feel fear of a powerful artifact getting in the wrong hands, and what it could do on battlefields and to townsfolk.

RP sample:

Link to one of your in-game posts: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...42#post8674942
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...28#post8627928

More importantly, it isn't D&D if a DM isn't scrambling to react to a player's creativity!--Solitaire64 to Haunted.

Last edited by Solitaire64; Apr 14th, 2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: COMPLETED(?)
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 10:52 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59
Bellona
I love your world! I have a question before I dive into a character:

You mentioned Artificer was "possibly" a Class we can apply with if we can make it fit the world. You also said no to Unearthed Arcana stuff. Would the new subclasses for the Artificer--namely the Armorer--be off limits due to them being from UA or would they be OK given that they're tired to the Artificer?
EDIT: Just noticed the Armorer was a Playtest subclass and not official. I wasn't sure what I was thinking. I'll keep the question posted (just in case) but maybe divert some of my creative juices towards something else.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Bellona; Apr 8th, 2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 06:01 AM
Wazdakka: King of Flames!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2858
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retry View Post
Question:
Do you want an RP sample and links or either or?
Have no problem providing both but am a lazy bear
On reflection I'm happy to accept one or both on the understanding that requiring both disadvantages NPSG applicants. Thank you for the gentle reminder, and thank you to everyone who has thus far submitted both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellona View Post
I love your world! I have a question before I dive into a character:

You mentioned Artificer was "possibly" a Class we can apply with if we can make it fit the world. You also said no to Unearthed Arcana stuff. Would the new subclasses for the Artificer--namely the Armorer--be off limits due to them being from UA or would they be OK given that they're tired to the Artificer?
EDIT: Just noticed the Armorer was a Playtest subclass and not official. I wasn't sure what I was thinking. I'll keep the question posted (just in case) but maybe divert some of my creative juices towards something else.

Thank you in advance!
Thanks for the question. I've added an FAQ in which this features

On the one hand I can see why you'd really want to play them in this setting but on the other hand they feel like they could cause me a some headaches flavour-wise for the setting. If the concept is fun, fits in with the setting and would make for a good roleplay experience for the group then I can be persuaded. Definitely no Armourers as they are Unearthed Arcana / Playtest and I've got enough new rules to concentrate on already.

Last edited by Lord Ruthers; Apr 9th, 2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 09:06 AM
I've returned to help!

Tools
User Statistics
Post updated with completed app

Old Apr 9th, 2020, 03:33 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1514
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Retry...Is it possible that Darvye has been in Caracara for a while now. Perhaps he and Rena could be friends. She needs a mentor, someone to move her from Urchin to Rogue, teach her to be a bit darker. I could see them teaming up on the streets Darvye teaching her to "work" the crowd while he plays. She would love to hear his stories of adventures. I bet we could get the DM to give you thieves cant so we can chat. and they'd be so cute together.
(but i get to be at least an inch shorter)

ALSO everyone, DM included. 5E has a specific background system, it would be nice to know what people are choosing.

Last edited by JohnStone; Apr 9th, 2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 08:41 PM
I've returned to help!

Tools
User Statistics
We can discuss it if we both make it in. I'd be game to figure something out though

Last edited by Retry; Apr 9th, 2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: rewording so i DONT sound like a jerk haha
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4862
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
Durikhas Ironbrow
left-aligned image

Name: Durikhas Ironbrow
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Cleric of Thautam (Knowledge)
Alignment: True Neutral

Appearance: Unlike most of his burly cousins, Durikhas Ironbrow, Cleric of Thautam, would make for a slight, lithe character if he shed his protective scale mail. Though middle-aged, his forehead is furrowed by thought wrinkles, gained from countless hours poring over ancient tomes and dusty scrolls. Half-moon spectacles perch onto a prominent nose, under which a well-manicured blonde-but-not-yet-white beard sweeps outward in a flourish. He carries a rune-engraved quarterstaff instead of a mace, as well as a pack filled with scrolls, quill and ink rather than rope or pitons. Upon meeting him, you get the feeling that his dark gold eyes aren’t really seeing you, but rather reading you, scanning you, like the pages of some book.

Backstory: The clan of Ironbrow takes their name not from the thickness of their skulls but from the sharpness of their thought. While other children pounded each other with leather maces while their drunken parents nodded approvingly, Ironbrow children glowered at each other over chess boards while passing elders ’tsked in disapproval at unwise moves or stroked their beards approvingly at a wise stratagem. Members of the clan often became advisors, archivists, arcanists, or all manner of dwarf not often sung of in tale yet coveted by wise kings that wished to keep their kingdoms.

Durikhas was born into this clan to a wise dwarven family that, spying his eagerness to delve into every secret magical book no matter how many times he had been told not to, apprenticed him to the acolytes of Thautam, the closest thing the dwarves have to a dedicated god of magic. Their choice was wise, for the teachings of Thautam matched perfectly with Durikhas’ own inclinations, the promise of divine power and knowledge filled him with ambition, and the duties of acolyteship impressed the importance of discipline into the young dwarf.

Now, no longer a young dwarf but a full-fledged cleric of Thautam, Durikhas has come to the fair to meet Rodor the Rat. Rodor had previously been able to “acquire” some valuable dwarven items of magical importance, and the “friendship” was truly no more of a convenient business arrangement. Though Rodor’s knowledge was nowhere near the equal of that of Durikhas, the Rat was no fledgling when it came to magical items. So when she shared that she did not understand the item’s function, Durikhas was intrigued...

How will your character react to discovering 'the numenera'?: Durikhas will be desperately fascinated with it, and see it both as his sacred duty as well as greatest personal ambition to recover and understand the numenara.

Link to in game post

Last edited by HughtheHand; Apr 17th, 2020 at 02:15 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 06:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2010
danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab danab
@HugtheHand Hey, want to pair our apps? Durikhas and Kaeden certainly seem like they'd travel in the same circles. Also, they both are going to Caracara to speak to Rodor.

Last edited by danab; Apr 10th, 2020 at 06:12 AM.