RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 4th, 2021, 02:57 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8869
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Well, if no one has weapons, you can make them to gain power over others, even basic weapons would give you a huge advantage against people without weapons.

But, if they effectively have thought police and dark city mind wipe capabilities, then that answers the questions on the vast majority of crimes :P. Just trying to get an idea of how someone's live in the lower class areas would be. I'll have an app up this week, just getting a feel for the area.
Is it really "thought police," or is it just people having everything they could need already? You've got a job that suits you, you've got all your essentials and any kind of greater wants covered, and you've probably got a decent say in how the city manages itself (up to the domain of the Light, anyway). I don't know if there's really any need for crime or class in this environment.

Last edited by Muggins; Jan 4th, 2021 at 02:58 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 09:39 AM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10222
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
@muggins: he says the light always finds it and roots it out before it becomes a problem. So this indicates that you effectively have a thought policing system. Maybe it's divine shenanigans, a really good secret police system, or a precog machine that sees crimes before they happen. The end result is a system where you always catch crime startups before they can take root. They would startup because this is a lawful society and there are things you aren't allowed to do or things you can't have which makes there be a black market for those things and activities.

As for having everything you need, that's irrelevant in humans anyway. Dwarves also have an innate greed, so they likely are hit by justice bats more often than even humans. Classes will form in humans by one means or another. Humans naturally group up based on differences which will create sects that then decide on a hierarchy of some form. Like stonemasons being higher than carpenters which are higher than sewer workers.

But most of a human population will be susceptible to brain washing techniques reinforced with periodic propaganda and combined with a common enemy threat. But you still have the problem of everyone being equal and humans generally rejecting that.

A percentage of a human population is power hungry and a percentage will be crazy. You also have younger generations which will reject that status quo for a good part of their lives generally. But as was noted, a mind wiping/memory modification system combined with a means of early detection will completely squash all of these problems for a society. Its literally a dream scenario for whoever runs this city.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Jan 4th, 2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8869
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
We're not talking about the real world here, though. We're talking about a Solarpunk Utopia, where the injustices of the past have been washed away.

But I think I'll just leave this to Pendragon, since it's their game. I definitely think there's space for less-lawful sorts to come about, or even for a character in that world to believe everything you're saying, I just don't see the need for it to be all doom-and-gloom!

Last edited by Muggins; Jan 4th, 2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
oh, it wont have much to do with my character at all, I was just trying to get a feel for the atmosphere, as it may have an impact on my backstory and such when writing. My character may notice the oddities of such things noted above, but I think the government of the city would be quite thorough in ensuring people didn't realize there were mind wipes and such taking place. Overall, the character won't particularly care if he noticed things like that happening as those people likely deserved whatever happened to them. He has more important things to focus on than worrying about hypothetical injustices imposed upon the populace of the city.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Jan 4th, 2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 07:59 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
dr kekyll
"not talking about the real world" is kind of a bad excuse for indulging your own assumptions about a setting. except where explicitly stated, most settings are exactly like the real world because that's our only common frame of reference. no one bothers to point out that their setting's gravity is exactly like ours. we just assume gravity works the way it does in the real world unless we're told something different. so until we're told otherwise, most of what Unforgiven said just makes sense. at the very least, everyone is being denied information about what really goes on outside the wall which means their ability to make informed decisions about their lives is being mitigated by their government. that's ethically questionable regardless of whether or not it results in a "utopia." many people living in such a world likely wouldn't question it as that's what's normal to them, but unless we're told they're genetically engineering curiosity and introspection out of people, there will always be people who do question the norms. that's not doom and gloom, it's just reality, which is the default setting except where stated. there are probably other functional aspects to this utopia that the creator of the setting knows that we haven't been told, but, unless we assume normal reality except where told otherwise, everyone can legitimately have their own completely different idea about how gravity works.

Last edited by dr kekyll; Jan 4th, 2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
@dr kekyll: Indeed, I didn't want to get into a drawn out argument over anything like this, but I agree, that's how you have to assume until told otherwise. Like how the horror movies use the too perfect towns as foreshadowing. People being too nice and getting along too well is creepy and counter to normal human behavior.

Edit: @muggins: there are also four known casts from the introduction post, and likely 5: worker class, law enforcement class(or public servant), merchant class, priest class, and presumably administrative cast(someone has to logistics a city of 200k) and you can be chaotic, but this is a highly lawful society. Everyone has to work, rigid light rituals, priests being the only Latin speakers like the real life church way back when. Almost every known aspect of the city is based around law and order.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Jan 4th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 12:00 AM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
@pendragon: Is the tech we are going to get more magic or more technology? Like a pair of eyes of the eagle, would those be magic goggles or an advanced tech visor?

Edit: I thought of another question while I was working over my background. This city appears to be a limited size. What do they do for population control? Especially in a race like ratfolk that have very high fertility and reproduction rates?

Last edited by Unforgiven; Jan 5th, 2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 01:14 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7729
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
@Unforgiven - You are right on a level, the people have been conditioned into the system. Once your task is complete if you aren't treating others as equals then you have a problem and you may need to speak to a priest at the temple (get disciplined or counseled).

The item/goggles would be magic and would only work outside the city, an actual pair of binoculars would be a common item inside the city. Think 1950's but also missing key things like telephones and fossil fuel derived products.

@Everyone - You all are very into this and I am happy about it, this was designed with an anime flare in mind so there are layers to the story and the ethics that are in play to maintain this society. As for your character in this setting it has a couple options, either high potential outsider (as far as views are concerned, possibly someone who asks too many questions) or high potential cog in the society living the normal life. The only real requirement is that your character has high potential.

If you want to make a character that was about to have their mind wiped but unlocked their power on the way to the temple rather than the narration that I put forward I am fine with that, but you will be looked down on by the instructors and possibly your teammates, at least early in the story. Your character will have something to prove and your instructors will see you as expendable as this is your only option in the "Light".

Try not to dig too much deeper into "in character" topics out of character though, I'm looking for face value characters that can grow as they realize things about what it is to live in the Light and Shadow. I really want these issues to develop in the group organically through character experience. You will be coming from a homogenous group of stalwart believers in the Light to the outside world of monsters and relative chaos.

I hope that helps
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 08:40 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 294
droobles droobles droobles
@Pendragon - Does spheres of power/might include Oaths?
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 03:24 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
@droobles - I see what you are talking about (I googled it because I wasn't familiar with it), but I think they would be more problematic than anything. Also with the limited belief system in play in this setting I don't see them being as relevant as they would be in other settings.
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 12:17 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 294
droobles droobles droobles
Scias Scathach
left-aligned image

Name: Scias Scathach
Race: Human
Gender Identity: Male
Class: Conscript 2/Disciple Of The Monstrous ArtsReaper 2/DoombladeMageknight 1/Trinity Knight 3
Archetype: As seen on class, 1 per class
Traits: Whenever you are under the effect of a luck bonus of any kind, that bonus increases by 1.Fate's Favored, Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice. Mageknight.Magical Knack
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Description: Typical jackass face and expression, Scias is not good on first impressions, or second impressions for that matter. The ominous aura that surrounds Scias does not help, nor does his typical sarcastic smile, but, after a while, his actions will show that he keeps his word, however twisted it may be. His black hair is always kept slick, as are his clothes, Scias has, somewhat, a flair for fashion. His elegant clothes, contrary to expectations, accentuate his menacing presence. His black eyes are rarely focused at anything, but when they are it resembles a dangerous predator. Last, but not least, some scarring and a lightly sun aged skin makes Scias look older than he really is, meaning his earring looks almost out of place.

Early Life in a UtopiaScias remembers pieces and fragments of his earlier years. He lost his parents when he was still a child, but he was never sure about how that happened. Sven, Scias's uncle, took him in and did his best to raise him, something more out of a sense of duty than out of love, Scias could tell. It was not a bad life, it was just boring and time seemed to fly.

As Scias grew older he felt that life became ever more restrictive, he was living in cage, it was just a very big city. Sven wasn't helpful when trying to find answers, what were his tasks in the city by the way? Scias never discovered what his uncle did, maybe something with machines, and, for some reason, gave up on finding about it.

A strange calling started growing inside Scias, he had to leave but there was nowhere to go. Life was boring, until he heard rumors about shadows...

Life Before Shadow ...time passed, but life didn't change much. Scias had his tasks assigned, he worked, he ended up changing tasks a couple of times. He ended up as an assistant for one of the city architects. It all seemed to click right then and there, all the maps and blueprints were like had many answers he searched for a long time, there was a way out without others noticing.

Even though Scias wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, he took his time studying the maps and found a couple of spots one could use to leave Oroka. There was a catch though, it was easy to leave unseen, but very hard to come back, it was a problem Scias couldn't solve. An eerier discovery was some empty spots on the maps, or walls that made no sense how they were placed. The next weeks were filled with exploration of a city he thought he knew and a sense of wonder he had never felt.

Old rumors he heard as a child resurfaced in the back of his mind, would the oddities on the maps be related to the "Shadow"? He had to go check it out and, as fate would have it, the first place Scias visited had the most unexpected surprise, his uncle Sven. As soon as he spotted Sven everything went black...

Life in Shadow"Can't you do anything about that ugly mug of yours?" the
left-aligned image
pale man spoke softly and with uncanny diction. His posture and movements showed unnatural elegance, perhaps the result of years of practice. His clothes reflected the regal air around him. The pale man stood there, his eyes didn't betray his aloofness while waiting for a reply.

"Heh, if Lydia can't do anything then that's life." Scias responded holding a grin but with a strained face, "You could always stop beating me up." he finished speaking while standing up from the floor. Scias cleaned the fresh blood dripping from his mouth, took posture and raised his sword again.

The pale man chuckled with a still face, "If memory serves me right, you were the one who requested this..." he said with methodical timing as he fixed his gloves and sleeves, "...so, as we close today's lesson, same bet as usual?"

Scias bowed and said "For sure, after paying for these classes with blood..." he paused as he assumed a stance and invoked his most recent awakened power, time seemd to distort around Scias, "...it is the least you could do for me, right teach?" he kicked sand towards the pale man and charged forward. Moments later Scias was passed out on the floor while the pale man looked at him, he fixed his gloves and left.

Last edited by droobles; Jan 9th, 2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
@pendragon: Almost done with my application. If you do a review before I finish up, please correct any assumptions I've made in writing and I will correct them at my earliest availability. I hope you enjoy the read so far. My RP sample will be the time in the shadow, mostly or partially, but I will hopefully finish it up Sunday.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Jan 8th, 2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 01:15 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
I sat down to do reviews a couple days ago and got sucked into the news. I will give it a shot later tonight and tomorrow.

The official deadline is Jan 14th 12pm Pacific time.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 05:04 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics

Old Jan 9th, 2021, 05:37 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1010
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332