twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 21st, 2021, 01:21 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
I would say that's up to you. Quite frequently the GM makes those rolls because players will be alerted to the fact that there is a possibility that a "danger might lurk nearby". Some players have not yet found the distinction between player knowledge and character knowledge, and have their characters react on player knowledge.

But having said that, if a GM knows that their players will do that might choose to roll "behind the screen" just to keep the players guessing what might be going on, and to redirect attention that way.

But these are details that are best left to actual tabletop play. If you choose to roll silently on a PbP site, no one's going to know. You could possibly make actual rolls with actual dice and not use the dice roller here.

And then there is "surprise". If you feel you need to keep the surprise factor up, sure, roll for the characters. If they make it, you can tell them. If they don't, they will find out right after that cosmic blast to their head.

Up to you. What do you feel makes for a better story or more fun for the players?

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 02:42 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 382
Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr
Original post got eaten by the site, I hope it tasted good.

I think I need to experiment a bit for the first couple of fights. I can see where rolling for the players would keep the game speed moving, especially where a player may want to know the state of other players. I can also see where having the players roll keeps them closer to the narrative so they could get more inspiration from their own die rolls.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 03:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Love seeing all this activity. I need to complete my background. It is mostly done but it needs something. A little tweaking on the character as well.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17181
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
I got this as a running list, and if it's incorrect, by all means copy, correct, and repost it.

Character Player Hero Type App Status
Caisson Drachenspirit Alternate form Flying Blaster w/ Minions Ready for Review
Adamant dbaque Giant Alien Robot w/ vehicle and Human forms Ready for Review
Gateway MrKinister Attack/Defend/Transport Portal Creator Ready for Review
Delirium Solid Snek Mental Powers/Hallucination Array Ready for Review
Blades Avner "British" Superhuman Regenerating Fighter construcing weapons from own body Ready for Review
Lady Luck Ysolde Luck and Nullify powers Ready for Review
Sorsiel DrowNinjaPrincess Elemental Mage Ready for Review
Final Girl Rinninian Psi-warrior Ready for Review
Turbo Draidden Speedster Ready for Review
Mr. Sardonic Yoshimi Angel powers, Enhanced STR and Toughness, Dazzle and Drain attacks WIP
Chernobog Acathala Divine Avatar of Deity, Ghost and Wraith like abilities WIP
Trenchcoat Grouchy Shadow Powers WIP
Elicpse Nightshade Alternate Form w/ Defenses and Telekinesis WIP

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jan 21st, 2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:21 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Thirteen applicants. Nice. And plenty of time until the deadline. There are bound to be more in the days to come.

Goldmyr, I don't envy you the task of having to cull the list to a comfortable number of accepted ideas. I am glad I am not doing it. =)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:25 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1575
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Turbo is completed and ready for review. If you are looking for his character sheet just click on his name.

That is unless you think I missed something or need to add something to it and then let me know.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draidden View Post
Turbo is completed and ready for review. If you are looking for his character sheet just click on his name.

That is unless you think I missed something or need to add something to it and then let me know.
I edited to show he's ready. I missed the link to the sheet, that's why I had it on WIP. As for what your app may or may not be missing, judging the app status is up to our nice, kind, and benevolent GM.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Great chart Drachenspirit!
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:40 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31111
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Drachen you totally skipped over the fact that Blades is a Brit, I mean that is inexcusable Thanks for putting the list together!

As far as the rolling goes I've done is both ways. I think Toughness checks can be done by the DM unless there is a reason not ust to keep the game moving, otherwise the players could always roll them in advance of the round or something. Waiting an extra round just or a roll could drag the game a bit though, so I would somehow incorporate it into the flow, so you can respond in a timely way without waiting on additional stuff from the players.

I've had games where they have Players bank a bunch of d20 roles to pull from in the event the GM needs one on a fly. It is an interesting concept. Honestly though there is no wrong way to do it. I would just pay attention to not stalling the flow of the game in pbp.

Last edited by Avner; Jan 21st, 2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 06:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 938
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmyr View Post
I know that for Dungeons and Dragons sometimes Dms will roll saving throws or Perception checks instead of calling for them individually from the players. Is it normal to do that with Mutants and Masterminds as well? It seems like it would work out well since almost every attack has some kind of defensive roll.
Only problem with this I see is that there's still a lot of options and variable in M&M play. It's not like D&D where there's an armor class and then fortitude saves are almost always static, so it's a done and done deal.

In M&M there's a lot of different reaction abilities, and I think the luck powers influence it a bit. There's also extra effort and status effects which might even change a player's defenses. I'd be really hesitant to be rolling for players until I am thoroughly familiar with the characters themselves and all the party dynamics.

It would probably be best to just have a list/reminder of who needs to roll for what, and if we haven't gotten those rolls after a certain period of time, do our best guess to make them afterward.

---

As for Sorsiel's description, I do not think throwing "alien" in the description works. It's technically true, but the word usually evokes images of beings that distinctly do not look human at all, except perhaps maybe vaguely in shape.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 06:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowNinjaPrincess View Post
As for Sorsiel's description, I do not think throwing "alien" in the description works. It's technically true, but the word usually evokes images of beings that distinctly do not look human at all, except perhaps maybe vaguely in shape.
Dropped the "alien" from the description.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 08:07 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Are Vulcans aliens?
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 09:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 938
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmyr View Post
Are Vulcans aliens?
Yes actually. So is Superman.

You could technically just call Spock a Vulcan or Superman a Kryptonian. But if you were to describe Superman, people would probably just say "The Man of Steel" or "A man with superhuman strength and incredible powers".

The biggest distinction is, if you were to ask Sorsiel herself, she'd say she was human.

Last edited by DrowNinjaPrincess; Jan 21st, 2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 09:48 AM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowNinjaPrincess View Post
Yes actually. So is Superman.

You could technically just call Spock a Vulcan or Superman a Kryptonian. But if you were to describe Superman, people would probably just say "The Man of Steel" or "A man with superhuman strength and incredible powers".

The biggest distinction is, if you were to ask Sorsiel herself, she'd say she was human.
Yeah, I realized that when I looked at her profile again. For some reason, I thought she was an elf. Anyway, I was mostly responding to the part where you said aliens usually describe things that don't resemble humans when a large number of them are practically indistinguishable except for superficial details. But most importantly, I was just being a smart@$$.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 12:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Background added. Just need to tweak the powers in the build and do skills. I just wanted to get the background done first to help me define her in my head.

I think you could basically consider her a Paragon. Her powers are more mental than Physical but ultimately the same effect.

Last edited by Nightshade; Jan 22nd, 2021 at 12:47 PM.