PF-1e The Four Spears, a Gost Adventure - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 8th, 2021, 11:20 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 106
Kadakithis Kadakithis
This may seem an odd question, but due to the complicated nature of the halfling social hierarchies, how does marriage work? Political or love based, any unwritten rules on who can be with whom?

Last edited by Kadakithis; Jan 8th, 2021 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Autocorrect doesn’t recognize the word halfling
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 06:52 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4401
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
I don't know that I ever anticipated this question; the answer is in a bunch of my personal notes that were cut because it was such minutia I deemed no one else would care about. I'm supremely interested to see what you do with it. When I think of halfling marriage on Gost I envision arranged marriages where there's a lot of social pressure to comply with your parents/guardians but no legal consequences if you don't. Love matches do happen, and more frequently as the ages pass, but the average halfling is very traditional. Another tidbit I haven't put up anywhere for the same reason is that lineage is traced based on the gender of the family's founder. Gender inequity is extremely uncommon on Gost, over-all.

Edit: Because I answered pretty much everything but your actual question. Yes, there are definitely written and unwritten rules on who can marry whom. Halflings cannot marry outside of their species -with the exception of gnomes-and have the marriage recognized legally. The very thought of any form of romantic relations with another race would have most NPC halflings clutching their pearls. This extends to gnomes! Though gnomes are nominally afforded all the rights and protections of any halfling, no respectable halfling would marry a gnome. Theirs is a very separate, "but equal!", society.

The unwritten rules are fairly simple. Marry up or, at worst, laterally. I may further elaborate on families feuding in the future but for now I'll just say a full on Romeo and Juliette is highly plausible in this society.

As a note, it would make sense for a butcher's child to be forbidden a scribe's child not because one job is better than the other but because jobs tend to run in families and the butcher family and the scribe family may be at odds.

And because I haven't tackled it yet, I'm off to ponder over how they handle same sex marriage.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting

Last edited by Icereach; Jan 9th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Is Everything.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1470
Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude
Thank You
Tales, thank you for the compliment. I look forward to playing with you soon.

Ned and Randall
right-aligned image
Ned swirled the contents of his mug while he thought about the other Guarsman’s question. The foam danced the same way his thoughts did. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. Thinking better of it, he put his teeth back together and considered some more.

“Magic,” he began, “is as much a part of nature as anything else. We might not be inclined to think so, but it is.” Ripley made his presence known by pushing his snout in the direction of the plate that sat between Randall and Ned. The latter admonished his companion briefly, but then succumbed to the bulldog’s pout and threw him a treat.

“As druids, we harness the life force of plants and animals, the fury of the storm, and the power of the land itself. It is often a delicate balance channeling the power while sculpting it into subtle uses.”

Ned shrugged as he gave his incomplete answer. Even though he had been a Waterbearer for many years, his use of magic was more about feeling. It was hard to put into words, doubly so to for someone who didn’t use magic himself.

Old Jan 11th, 2021, 05:55 AM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18334
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Tess' character has been updated, and planned classes has had a tweak or two. I would prefer normal rogue if given the chance, Tess won't have any need for weapon finesse with her current plan.

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Settling into a work pattern. Mid-week is busy, close to weekends, clear for posting
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 403
Tales Tales Tales Tales Tales
@Attitude: Great job of combining the two of them. I will also be looking forward to the opportunity of playing together.

@Icereach: I imagine that the various farming communities around Hearthhome often produce daughters and sons that can be arranged to be married and thereby also secure good relationships between the farms. For Nancy and Randall, I very much envision an arranged marriage, but with caring and loving parents who have done what they could to urge romance with that particular girl, right from the start. It turned out well, it is a deep-rooted and flowering relationship between the two of them.

@Piano: Looks like Tess is shaping up too. I think we need to strap down our stuff if adventuring with her.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Is Everything.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1470
Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude
If you have any ideas about your character and mine knowing each other, let me know.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Attitude: Yes. I will expand on the subject one of these days.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 07:21 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Everyone, I really appreciate the time and investments you've made in creating your characters. However, if this game doesn't get more interest I'm going to have to scrap it, rework it, and maybe try again in the future. Maybe in a different part of Gost. I'm not saying the game is officially canceled yet, but I recommend you keep an eye on this thread for new activity before committing any further.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 02:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes. I hope it will pick up though. It would be a shame if it is not going to run in the end.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Frisky Thrall

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4650
Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse Norse
Hey. I originally passed this one due to the limited character options, but I have been giving it a thought and would like to add an application, to learn more of the world you have conjured around Gost.

Now, as I return, I can see that you have put it on pause. Is this the case or would it be worth the effort to create an application? I was thinking to add a Paladin and his trusty dog mount.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 08:39 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
The more interest this gets, the more likely I am to run it. You'd make the fourth application, which is the minimum required to run the module. I won't officially pull the plug or click the green light until Feb. 1
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, Norse. Do it!
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 01:25 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1010
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332
Like Norse, I also originally passed this one due to limited character option, but now, I think I should probably try this one out.

I'll think of something after this.
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 01:57 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Well that's much more encouraging. I'll be interested in seeing what you guys come up with.
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 04:43 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1010
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332
Jocinta Gulchwind Quakemire
right-aligned image
Name: Jocinta Gulchwind Quakemire

Race: Halfling

Class: Sorcerer 5

Role: Magic

Affiliation: The Home Guard

Physical Description: Like most halflings, Jocinta is short, though the way she carries herself seems to indicate that she thinks of herself as the biggest person in the room. Jocinta is often clad in her robe and is always seen wearing a circlet on her head. She often seen taking careful strides, looking poised and composed wherever she goes. Despite her simple getup, her force of personality shines through.

Personality: Jocinta has a rather overbearing and bossy demeanor, and she can be quite commanding despite her rather diminutive figure, being a halfling. She expects that others must listen to her words, though that doesn't mean she is arrogant. In fact, she is quite empathetic and can be sensitive to others, and she often seeks to do good to others. This is one of the reasons why she became one of the Home Guards. Believing herself to be simply better than others, she believes that it is her duty to take the leadership role, even if others may not agree with it.

Background: Jocinta was born in Hearthome and had a normal upbringing, though her heritage gave her slight edge over other halflings her age. Born with sorcerous powers, which she inherited from her mother, she spent most of her childhood exploring and experimenting with her powers, and as she grew up, she thought about how she could use her power for the good of her home.

That was why she had decided to join the Home Guard, patrolling the halfling territories. She honestly thought that with her powers, she would be able to defend her home better, and while she might overestimate herself, thinking of herself as someone fitting for leadership, her intention was good. One could only hope that her fellow guards could stand her bossy and overbearing demeanor.

Last edited by Arjuna332; Jan 26th, 2021 at 08:26 PM.