User Statistics
RPXP: 52
S2condBestScotch
Once More Unto the Breach

Game NameOnce More Unto the Breach
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemePuzzles, Mystery, Monster vs Monster Fights, Opportunity to be Epic
FlavourReady Player One + Westworld + Pokemon
Plot SummarySo, the premise of this game is that reality has been breached and a free zone of unlimited potential has been discovered, an untainted eden limited only by the imagination. Those first intrepid explorers discovered an infinite expanse where rules can be created or erased, but only with the right "codes." So, a series of quantum supercomputers were brought in to unravel the secrets of creating a new reality. Now, three years later, hundreds have been brought in to study the anomalous breach and the possibilities that can be derived from it.

So far, the team that designed the computers have generated twenty pocket realms with various themes designed to inspire wonder and excitement. Dozens of mythologies and sources have spawned lands, seas, skies and a plethora of flora and fauna to fill them (5e creatures.) One of the favorite new activities is using capture codes to catch monsters and use them to battle wild monsters and monsters captured by others. Some dislike the practice, but it's growing in popularity amongst those working in the breach. In fact, the wealthy financial backers of the research project are already designing a theme park to recoup their billions spent on funding the research, much to the chagrin of the lead scientists. Now, a movement is growing to develop cash grabs utilizing the breach with an equal amount of resistance to such an idea. Testing continues while construction of facilities and safety measures developed to minimize risk to human life.

With sufficient interest, I'll pick 3 players at this point to come up with characters and motivations for those characters moving forward. Besides monster catching games, other inspirations for this game are: Westworld and Ready Player One. I like to take existing rulesets for games and add my own signature to them and I think the premise has potential. I've worked out many rule changes and some balancing issues.

You'll be able to capture and keep hundreds of creatures if you wish in a storage demi-plane, but only keep 6 on you in capture pods. You can switch out your roster at any time.

Classes won't be used in the conventional sense, so if you're a Barbarian, you'll confer the perks of your class to your creatures. Some class abilities and spells will be altered to fit this new narrative, but it will be important to build synergy between captured creatures and your class. Can you switch classes? The answer is yes, but you'll be at a reduced level and have to catch up. Weapons and gear? They will be mostly for show unless you meet encounters that disengage safety protocols, other than that, you can get armor, weapons and magic items for your creatures. Starters will depend on what class you are and what area of focus your character will take. They will be CR 1 and lower. Beasts will function differently and will have variants based on where they come from: so a bear from the realm of fire will look like a bear, but instead of being made of fire, it will be more like a Pokemon and have gouts of flame shooting from its mouth or licking its paws or smoldering fur and glowing eyes for example. A bear from the Abyss will have more demonic qualities and a bear from the Feywild will look more normal but have variations that clue you in to its origin. Your team of creatures will require synergy. You don't want to have an Abyssal Giant Toad fighting in a 2 vs 2 with your celestial Cobra. Also, if you're the heroic good guy type, you probably don't want a Wight on your team or a Lich that has dark intentions, nor do you want a Deva if you plan to subjugate a realm to your will as controlling them will become harder and it could reach a point where creatures refuse to obey. Their CR vs your character level can impact this relationship but it won't be 1 for 1.

Evolution is a feature seen in most Monster Catching games and it will be present in this one. Demons, Devils, and Slaad already have a similar feature built in, so in this game, if you have a silver wyrmling and it gains enough xp, it can "evolve" to this next age and gain the stats and benefits therein. Some creatures cannot "evolve" or change, such as an Orc warrior or a Storm Giant, but they can gain advancement like they have class levels, so you can be a Warlock and have an Orc Fighter that gets benefits of your Warlock levels and its Fighter levels. Very powerful creatures won't benefit from class advancement for quite a while, but it gives some creatures more viability if they reach a late game scenario. Eventually your silver wyrmling could be an ancient wyrm by endgame.

20 Realms
> Ethereal
> Astral
> Nine Hells
> Abyss
> Shadowfell
> Feywild
> Far Realm
> Limbo
> Celestia
> Arborea
> Air
> Earth
> Fire
> Water
> Lightning
> Ice
> Radiance
> Acheron
> Mechanus
> Ysgard

- Players: Definitely 3 and perhaps 4
- Sources: PHB, MM
- Starting Level: 1
- Ability Scores: We'll figure it out since you'll have your character and a creature partner.
- Starting Equipment: Basic for Class plus 5 Capture Pods, 1 Overwire Console, 1 Safety Band
(Capture Pods capture creatures of course, the Overwire Console is a computer that links with terminals via a wi-fi like thing, and the Safety Band keeps guests from being injured or killed by monsters, dangers, and even accidents like falling off a mountain. The Safety Band will have times when it is deactivated, making for very dangerous situations.)
- Realm Affinity: You can choose one of the 20 realms and have an affinity to it, gaining strengths and weaknesses. This will include your partner. If you choose no realm, you'll have no additional strengths or weaknesses.

So, anyone interested?

Story Mode
Terminal 001 is like all the others, cold, white walls with white floors and lit with soft white light. It's a work space, not meant to be fancy or catch the eye. And a maze if not for the signs designating wings and offices. The only unique feature of this particular Terminal is the presence of the four supercomputers hit deep in its heart. These computers analyze and maintain all within the Breach, including the Terminals themselves, all automated and all connected via portal switches. Doctor Bethis works in his lab adjacent to the cavernous room that holds the supercomputers and he's made a startling discovery in his study of the quantum code that rewrites the empty Breach. Something has invaded the code, a series of equations not generated by the supercomputers, but hailing from outside somewhere. His attempts to isolate the new equations, a Breach virus so to speak, have failed. It's too advanced, too sophisticated and its origin undeterminable until he can isolate it.

Doctor Bethis activates his Overwire Console to generate a broadcast to all team members and engineers until four steely claws burst through his chest and his desk sprayed with blood. He utters a stifled scream and a gurgle before being tossed across the room in a lifeless heap. The assailant is half-merged with the wall behind the doctor's chair and the claw recedes back into the blank wall, leaving only a bloody smear behind it.

It's a full three hours before Doctor Bethis's body is discovered by Terminal Security drones. His death sets off an alarm that reaches all the way back to the real world. The Board of Directors quickly rule the death an accident and review footage of the office leading up to his death, but don't release it. Instead, the footage is archived in the Board's vault and placed under classified status. Phase IV is soon fast tracked after Doctor Emerson is promoted to replace the late Doctor Bethis. Phase IV constitutes an Alpha Test of the Breach Realms, pulling volunteers and family of Breach workers to stress test the twenty zones that make up the realms. It's a mistake, as soon all will discover.

Creative ModeBefore I lay out any changes to 5e or homebrew rules, I'd like prospective players to brainstorm ideas for characters and motivations for said characters in relation to how to handle events that will transpire. In other words, is your character a Will Robinson? A young prodigy and full of hope and potential? Or, perhaps a Doctor Smith? An amiable sort with diabolical designs and dark ambitions for the infinite possibilities the Breach holds. Fleshing out your characters is as important as class choices or monster choices. Cheers and I look forward to the discussions.

- Identity: (Name, Personality, Physical Traits, Age, Background)

- Picture: (At your discretion.)

- Race: (Must be Human as other options can be caught and used in battle. You can have an avatar to fit your class.)

- Class: (All PHB)

- Character Motivation: (What does your character plan to do or what are their ambitions?)

- Starter Monster: (CR 1 and lower monsters from the Monster Manual only. Can have an affinity for one of the 20 realms.)

- Roleplaying Sample: (Something new or from another game is fine.)

Last edited by S2condBestScotch; Jan 20th, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15
TibbyLTP
This is a very interesting concept, I don't have time to dive into this right now, but I will be back tomorrow to brainstorm and give input.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15
TibbyLTP
So, I have some questions. You say that the monsters would gain some of the player class's abilities, so would that be like spells from casters? Or just the class abilities like second wind or sneak attack? Do they use our counters, or would each creature have its own pool for each ability?

I know you said you wanted interested players to brainstorm characters, but those questions were bugging me.

As for characters, what type of organization are we talking about? Is this some sort of SCP type thing, or is this a known anomaly amongst the general population. I assume the later as you mention that the backers want to turn it into a theme park of sorts.

What type of professions would we be from? Are we scientists? Death row inmates ala SCP D-class? Engineers? Little Timmy who's uncle actually does work for Nintendo?

Is this far future, near future, present, or in the past?
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Barkeep

Tools
User Statistics
S2condBestScotch
1. This would include spells and anything borrowed from the PC would use the counters of the PC. There will be creature only abilities that I'll reveal later and they will require essence to perform. Essence will be a collectible resource gathered via nodes, defeating enemy monsters, loot box style items and many more. For example, for a fire ability to be used, you'd need a certain amount of fire essence to fuel said ability. Such abilities would be comparable to spells, but would consume resource rather than be expended and returned after a rest.

2. It's a coalition of organizations backed by private companies and governments. It's a secret for now, but will become public soon, or that is the hope. For profit of course. Only those working on the project or backing know about it. It's like Area 51, people hear theories about it and stories, but only those truly involved really know.

3. That's up to you really. You could be one of those listed and more honestly. You could be an attorney for a backer or country much like the lawyer from Jurassic Park, which also contributes to themes in the game. Or, perhaps you're one of the designers that wants to live test and not observe. I'm giving a lot of creative control to players on this one. Maybe you were a private citizen that won a grand prize and get to be a part of the action as long as you don't disclose anything once back home.

4. Near future, probably 20-35 years from now. Discovering the Breach has allowed technology to advance rapidly given certain rules of physics don't pertain to the Breach and can be circumvented. Plus, the supercomputers have automation labs and infinite resources to create, so tech advanced briskly and without any governing laws, so imagine that.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 06:40 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1
aquaseth
Character Application

- Identity: (Name, Personality, Physical Traits, Age, Background)
Personality: Jerick Aladral, calculating, logical, polite when necessary but a bit self centered. He is the type of person that will work with others as long as there is something in it for him.

Physical Traits: 5'11" with long dark hair down to his shoulders and white, but slightly tan skin. Jerick is a muscular individual and it is pretty obvious that he works out regularly. His face is fairly average with light brown eyes and no distinguishing features. His usual outfit consists of a plain dark blue dress shirt with a vest on top of it along with jeans and a nice pair of skate shoes.

Background: Jerick has spent his recent years fascinated by classical combat. The idea of swords and axes in the classic clashes between men have always fascinated him. He spent time in college getting a degree in historical studies but had trouble finding work after leaving. He bounced between dead end jobs until he spotted an offer on an online forum: "Looking for individuals to explore unknown territories! Will be paid handsomely!" Jerick reached out to this poster as the idea of uncharted land was something he could not pass up. The chance to research new places, find things that had yet to be discovered, and gain fame, money, and reputation! These were things Jerick had only ever dreamt of. The poster did not give Jerick a name, but sent him a plane ticket and a contact who would get him to the promised place. (If accepted all of this can be subject to change as you deem fit. I just wanted to give a possible hook for you into how he would've found a way to the breach. I am fully open to changing my backstory to fit with the world better.)

- Picture:

- Race: Human, planning on battle master

- Class: Fighter

- Character Motivation: Jerick wants to become a renowned archaeologist and have his name written down for generations to come as well as study new combat tactics that may have developed in these other lands.

- Starter Monster: Tiger, no affinity. Jerick would lean toward neutral beasts as the way they hunt and kill fascinates him. In a Pokemon sense I would think of him as a normal type trainer.

- Roleplaying Sample: Alistair looked at his surroundings. The smell of mold permeated the air and the walls were coated in what appeared to be animal feces. "How the hell did I get here" The thought was supposed to be just that, but the words slipped past his lips.

Side note: This is my first application on this site but I am not new to play by post. I have run multiple sessions for co workers over chat programs with stories that spanned years. I can provide a longer roleplaying sample if you would like, I'm just unsure of the standards for an application on this website. I am very interested in this campaign concept and would love a chance to play. Thanks for your consideration!

Last edited by aquaseth; Jan 21st, 2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 10:30 PM
Barkeep

Tools
User Statistics
S2condBestScotch
The only thing to alter is that he wouldn't know about the Breach until he's there. Everything would be hidden from him until he traveled through and before he left, he'd have to sign an NDA first. Everything else is good.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 11:25 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
aquaseth
Ive made corrections to the backstory for that
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:42 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2303
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku

- Identity:
Name: Dr. Harold Feltz
Personality: Inquisitive, curious, analytical, adventurous, insightful
Physical Traits: short and wavy light brown hair, 5’10” and average build, typically clean shaven, dress casual attire under a white lab coat
Background: Dr. Feltz is an accomplished entomologist (bug zoologist) that has a focused study on the predation and survival trait and behaviors of insects and the animals that prey upon them including arachnids. Many of his discoveries had military applications such as dynamic camouflage, toxin development, and infantry exoskeleton armor which led to his work having ample funding.

- Race: Human

- Class: Ranger

- Character Motivation: Discover new possibilities in animal survival and predation. Discovery of new species. Analyze the effects of natural selection when two species who have never encountered each other or evolved near each other come together in battle.

- Starter Monster: Psionic Thrikreen/Arborea

- Roleplaying Sample: From a Shadowrun game I’m in.
Mustang had been sleeping the day off since most of the action he participated in was at night. His sedan was parked in the parking lot of the local trucker gas station where he would be able to hang out without being bothered as long as he didn’t stay overnight. His car had back seats that flipped down providing direct access to the trunk which made it ideal for inflating a blowup mattress to sleep on. Opaque sheets of black plexiglass were cut out and secured over the windows to block out the light so He could sleep and make sure nobody could see inside. Anytime he would hear someone hovering around his ride, all that needed to happen was him pull down the shade and point his Cavalier Champion at the snooper to get them to leave. His spacious sedan had been upgraded to be his mobile home and fortress. Seats were made of quality synth leather and the armrests had coolers built into them where drinks could be stored. The windows could be activated into screens to display trideos and other forms of AR entertainment. The only thing it didn’t have was a toilet or a shower, but he had a gym membership where he could do those things when needed.

He was having a serene dream of running across open fields with a herd of wild horses when his Commlink went off. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and brought the feed to overlay his vision via the image link in his contacts. A long sigh of annoyance escapes his lips when Tequila Pete appeared in all his glory in the feed. The dwarf seemed to be looking to see if Mustang was alone or had company of the female variety, but all the little man would see is the ceiling inside the sedan. The sound of seven figures readily caught his attention. He had a debt that needed to be paid off and this would certainly pay it in full. This Achak person sounded interesting and worthy of further investigation. Maybe Hive might have heard of him being a prime runner and all. The stipulation that no weapons were allowed wasn’t a deal breaker just a little annoying. His main weapon was his fists, but since he didn’t have a permanent home he would have to either leave his car somewhere or leave his pistols with someone.

Mustang punched the coordinates for the meet into his car’s pilot system and packed up his bed as the car sped to its destination. On the way, he pinged Hive on the comm. “Hey, its Mustang. Got a call from Pete about a job from a guy named Achak. Pete said he is one of us, but I don’t know anything about him and neither does the Matrix. Figured a prime guy like you might have heard about him. I got the usual 150 Nuyen for info.”What popped up on the image link was what looked like Hive working on one of his Flyspies. The rigger stopped when he heard the name Achak. “Really? Achak recruiting again? Well consider yourself both lucky and unlucky at the same time. Ran with him before and got a huge score, but we lost two of our group despite my best efforts. It was the hardest job I ever pulled. He’s the real deal and likes to take on the biggest troll in the room. Show him respect, and you’ll get the same. Just be ready for something crazy dangerous. Oh, and tell him Dr. Smith and I said hi.”The line cut off and a request for a funds transfer popped up. The brawler inserted the Credstick into his Commlink and sent over the 150 Nuyen to Hive as promised for the info.

He stopped at his Talismonger’s shop, Captain Morgan’s Revenge where he asked the owner, Kraken, if he could pay him 200 Nuyen to let him park his car there and Kraken’s employees just keep an eye on it while he met up for a job then pick it afterwards. The tatted up ork just snorted at him. “They’ll just look at it. If someone decides to mess with it, you get a call nothing else. Pay at the front.” It was good enough for the runner. The Sioux didn’t expect the meeting to last long. He packed up a lot of his gear including his pistols and ammo into the smuggling compartment where the passenger airbag would be and put up the window screens once again. The main things he would take is his: Ballistic Mask, Commlink, contacts, Goggles, earbuds, biomonitor, 5 silver Credsticks, gecko tape gloves, Stim patches, and trauma patches. All of which he either wore or could fit in his myomer pack. With his Second Skin on in Sioux Warrior mode, he got out of the car and activated the security system and sophisticated biometric anti-tamper maglock on his car. It would take more than you average car jumper to get into it and get away. Of course he was close enough by to get back if someone messed with it. The Sioux Warrior knelt down into a sprinter’s stance and prayed to his mentor spirit, Horse. “Please grant me the speed to chase the winds of the earth and run free...”Horse came to him and pressed its nose to his head before disappearing back into the ether. “Thank you.”With that, he shot off like a bullet across the bridge faster than any meta would think possible. The adept only stopped when he reached the security checkpoint.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; Jan 26th, 2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Barkeep

Tools
User Statistics
S2condBestScotch
I suppose being new carries with it some drawbacks regarding player interest. I'm patient and optimistic or is that the scotch?
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 08:51 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
aquaseth
I'm watching the thread daily man. I want this game to happen so bad. The concept is really cool.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 915
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
I commented on the initial interest check, but I am stoked this is getting traction. I'll submit my formal application ASAP!
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 03:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Application filled out in original post above.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 915
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Man, narrowing down characters I've wanted to play in this genre is really difficult! I've got a couple of ideas, but I want to throw it out there to the group and see which option would have the most traction with the story. The characters are similar in scope, but wildly different in how they approach things. Which of these do y'all think would be the most interesting and/or fun to have in the party?

1) A Cleric/Paladin aligned with the Celestia (or a similar plane of Good). The character would have an emphasis on Religion and Insight with the motivation to provide support and hope for the party (and the Breach project) as they venture further inside. If you're familiar with Digimon, the character would be like T.K. with angelic companion to boot.

2) A Great Old One Warlock aligned with the Far Realm. The character would also have an emphasis on Insight as well as Charisma-based skills. I envision them as a psychologist brought in to help maintain group cohesion, similar to the Cleric detailed above but less bright and innocent and more grounded. I see them as wanting to push the boundary of the Breach, to see the Far Realm and all of its glory. Basically, the character is something out of a Lovecraft story and/or Annihilation (the film), though I envision them as trying to maintain their goodness despite the alienness of the situation.

I'm also super interested in the Elemental Plane of Air, but I want something that would work well for the party as a whole and, frankly, the Player's Handbook really skimps on pure Air-related options (instead, focusing on lightning damage).

Either way, I'm very excited to conceptualize the character, whatever they may be!
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Too bad only PHB is allowed. A Celestial Warlock sounds like the perfect merging of the two concepts. I went with Ranger even though the Unearthed Arcana version is better because the Ranger fit the theme.

@S2ondBestScotch
My opinion is that there would be more player interest if the book options were expanded or options from D&D Beyond.com (which is free) were allowed. But I completely understand sticking to just the core books to keep craziness from happening.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
aquaseth
FraterChad I like both of those ideas! I think no matter what you decide this is going to be an awesome campaign.