... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8813
tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar tsavatar
05 Old Foes

Vignette

The lights of the city shined in the distance like diamonds. Persephone might have been the farthest of the core worlds but it was one of the core worlds nonetheless. It was the frontier between the safe core and the lawless border planets. The last bright spot before the black. The last bustling trade world, the last stop on the way out of true civilisation.

But out here it seemed a suburban wonderland. A large poplar grove surrounded the villa in steep contrast with the few scattered palm, acacia and fig-trees on the premises. The micro-climate generator was set to simulate a late-summer Mediterranean atmosphere, which was not a stretch from the slightly colder summer of this particular latitude.
The busy sky of the city was lost in the distance. Out here, in the pristine suburban bliss it was only led garden lamps that chased away the darkness, along with the light of the two moons, Hades and Renao and the pin-pricks of light from the other planets and moons rotating round the White Sun.

Usually.

The sound came first, even before the lights. A whirring Wheeeeeeowwwwwwww like the screech of an angry magpie closed in hastily and as they broke cloud cover the aircars came into view...

The police cruisers descended upon the villa like a swarm of angry gnats, Ten, twelve of them with flashing red and blue lightbars and powerful light projectors on the undercarriage.
They moved with incredible haste and just as much noise. Quickly, one by one they scanned the perimeter for any signs of an attempted escape then stopped for a second in the air, as orders went out and plans were made. Powerful spotlights flashed on and the police aircars and the courtyard were suddenly bathed in brilliant light.

They circled the residence as one, swooped down so fast and low that they disturbed the trees, otherwise so calm on the breezeless evening. Two patrol cars stopped in the air, one shining its spotlight on the courtyard, the second on the villa. The other ten touched down in the illuminated area of the courtyard, hovering a foot off the ground as their doors slid open. A throng of policemen jumped out, two out of each cruiser and deployed a dazzling array of weapons, all pointed at the villa.

One of the policemen took cover behind a carved statue of Aphrodite then clicked on his amplified vox-box. He aimed his pulsegun at the house as he shouted his warning.

TIFFANY WYNNE, THIS IS THE POLICE. WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED WITH NO CHANCE OF ESCAPE. COME OUT, WITH YOUR HANDS UP AND YOU WILL BE BOUND BY LAW AND AWARDED FAIR TRIAL. YOU HAVE THREE MINUTES TO COMPLY!

In the distance the shambling form of a police Hover-truck crawled forward through the forested residential area, its lights illuminating the poplar grove. it was a large, armoured thing, the type used to ferry around platoons of Federal Marshals. It would arrive in less than two minutes.

TIFFANY WYNNE, COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP. YOU HAVE TWO MINUTES TO COMPLY!

The peaceful night had turned into a cacophony of sound and light, Flashing lightbars and spotlights and sirens going Wheeeeeeowwwwwwww. The chirping of birds and the Glow of Hades had all but disappeared in the maelstrom.

TIFFANY WYNNE, COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP. YOU HAVE ON...

The doors to the villa opened up and a girl stepped outside into the glow of the spotlight. She wore nothing but a pair of pants and a black t-shirt reading I followed by the stylised drawing of some sort of large lizard or dinosaur Londinium. Her feet were bare as she stepped forward onto the pavement. Several officers closed in on her, weapons pointed, and one grabbed her by the right shoulder...

Earlier...

Fri 23.10.2516

14:45

Orbit Around Persephone, White Sun (Bai Hu) System

Christian touched Twigz on the right shoulder startling her. She had been standing on her knees on the comms console of the Deadwind, leaning forward with her face pressed against the forward viewing screen, her feet pushing against the co-pilot's chair, behind her. She was dressed in her usual pyjama pants and one of her seemingly never-ending supply of I Godzilla Londinium T shirts, staring down through the window at the world stretching before them. Home. Prison. Returning to Persephone had not been a good idea, and what she intended to do was even less of a good idea. Christian had promised to help her but... could she really ask this of him?

In the Common area Captain Stacy and most of her intrepid crew were gathered around the table playing a game of tall card. The tall card was banana and Stacy had three bananas in her hand.. if she could only claim it... From across the table Gunny James eyed her suspiciously. He had quickly learned not to trust the 'captain', particularly when it came to cards. Theo had more pressing concerns on Persephone and his mind wasn't really in the game despite a good hand. The Doctor was the most disinterested of all, playing the game only to pass the time.

They had been waiting for almost an hour for the OK on the landing queue. The Eavesdown Docks, the only place cheap and seedy enough to let them dock without a cargo and crew inspection were jam-packed and despite a quick turnover they were still on queue...

James stared at his cards, barely able to concentrate on the game. He did not like waiting. And he did not like lingering so close to the Core. In the core they were waiting. They were alwais waiting for him...

Part 5: Old Foes

OOCTake over guys, Feel free to do what you think best, going as far as to land the ship and get into Persephone Proper. The game if you want to play it works like Poker. Check out the link i posted it sorta explains it. Otherwise do your own things... But i found that card game interesting... it's the one played by Jayne et co in an episode of Firefly.

Last edited by tsavatar; 05-30-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11461
copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt copatt
Incredibly bored with waiting to land, but, having avoided mandatory cargo and crew inspection thus far, too happy to complain, Twigz amuses herself by raising up on the toes of one foot. Stretching she hooks the toes of teh other foot over the back of the co-pilot's seat, plasters her lips against the forward viewing screen, and puffs out her cheeks. Holding the position, Twigz shifts her eyes in Christian's direction, looking for some sign of approval. When none is immediately forthcoming, she pulls her mouth away and asks, you will warn me when I need to strap in, right?

Slumpoing down in teh co-pilot's seat, she continues to assail Christian with questions and comments. Ahh, Persephone. I love this place. I so shouldn't have gotten myself into all that trouble. Do you know anything about the law? Do you think there's any way I could get pardoned or maybe just serve an abbreviated sentence? I knwo escaping hurst my prospects, but you hear about lawyers getting people out of even deeper trouble all the time, right? I know you said that there are no mandatory cargo and crew checks here at the Eavesdown Docks, but do they ever do selective checks? Oh Christian, I'm so nervous-- hold me!

Twigz makes the goofiest face she can for the Companion when he finally turns her direction.

Last edited by tsavatar; 06-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10406
DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987
Christian listened to Twigz's questions with one ear, keeping his main focus on the controls as he reset the controls for keeping them in orbit - every so often a new ship would join the queue or leave it, and so to prevent them from ramming or being rammed by another ship, he occasionally jad to make adjustments to their flight path.

When he finally turned his attention to Twigz, he looked right into the goofy face she was pulling and snickered a little, before grinning oddly - it wasn't quite evil, but it was rather mischievous. Leaning over, he did as the young girl had jokingly asked and briefly embraced her. "Nothing shall harm you in my strong, manly arms, wench!"

With a chuckle, he let go, smiling at her. "Always wanted to find a way to work 'wench' into a sentence."
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
And I have always wanted to be a wench, my dashing helmsman.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987
"Dashing helmsman, huh?" Christian laughed and knit his fingers behind his head before leaning back in the pilot's chair. "Maybe I should give up Companion-ing and become a rebellious, but well-meaning pilot. I should get one of those battered old trenchcoats, oh, and definitely something like an eyepatch."

He looked sideways at Twigz. "So, I was thinking...Since you lack a pilot at the moment, do you think perhaps I could persuade miss Stacy to let me pilot for you in exchange for transport to any appointments I might have? There's bound to be some non-illegal work on the Core planets for you, and there are a few advantages for a ship carrying a Companion."
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Twigz holds an index finger up to her lips and makes a "shhh" sound. Don't tell anyone that I said this, but my guess is you have already become our de facto pilot. We just need to get you that battered old trenchcoat to make it official. No eyepatch though. I like your eyes too much to cover them up. Twigz resists an urge to straddle Christian there in his pilot's seat-- for fear of opening any of his wounds.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
"Oh, well, that's that then - I guess I should be glad then that I'm willing to do it. Then again, there are worse things than being held hostage by you, miss Stay and doctor Tarasova...And I suppose James, if you like the slightly-grizzled-but-wounded thing," Snickering a little, Christian relaxed and enjoyed the moment. He'd have to be the cultured and refined Companion again soon enough, but it was nice to occasionally be reminded of what was normal and ordinary for most of the 'Verse. "And really, you're going to make my head explode if you keep flattering me like that."

He looked at her with a playful smile. "You know, you did make me an offer on St. Albans, miss Wynne...Are you still planning to keep it?"
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9691
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
The entire game Theo kept glancing from the card game up the hallway into the cockpit. Every time he sees the planet as far away as always. So far, nothing about this particular venture had gone very smoothly, though it was still working out. Then back to the game. Even without paying attention, he was doing well. It could be argued that almost everything in the world came down to math, as much as that destroys the hopes and dreams of elementary school kids across the 'Verse, and cards was by far an example of the rule. Though Tall Card wasn't a game that benefited enormously from counting cards, it didn't hurt. What he wasn't very good at was bluffing, so he never really tried it. He was an infuriating player; it was pretty easy to tell when he had a good hand, because he'd run with it. At the same time when his hand was terrible he'd do things like he's doing now, and pick up the tall even though he had no bananas. He had nothing else in his hand, had every intention of matching reasonable bets to stay in the game, and if he wasn't going to win the hand he'd make sure to make it harder for someone else to win.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5621
Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman
OOC I read the rules for the card game and was very confused, either they were poorly written or I was too tired, either way I am going to Fast Play the card game, I hope this is OK your the rest of you, besides the Love birds in the bridge, that is.

Stacy did not get the Tall card but she wins the hand anyway. Now James, and probably Theo, is sure she is cheating at the cards. After a minor altercation, something about a "Dishonest thieving whore of a captain" Stacy smiles and gets up from the table, her tablet chimes in, in it mechanical voice; James, Don't forget your extra chores, and make sure that waste tank is fully cleaned out. Now no one saw her type that in, so that meant she had done it before the game, Oh she was cheating alright, just no one was quite sure how. Nodding to Theo and Doc and smiling at James, turns and heads for the Bridge.
As she walks in on the two on the bridge making googly faces at each other and generally being distracted from their "Jobs" Stacy looks at the two, GOD! Get a room already! If she could speak everyone would have heard the jealousy in her voice, but as it was having her tablet doing the talking she felt that she had mostly covered it up. The rest of the crew knew all too well of her little jealousy, but after the first week, it seemed to have calmed down, a little at least.

Tapping her table, it plays out a pre programed voice message; Status update please. Looking at Christian, she had stopped calling him "Loverboy" after it became obvious that Twigs and him where having a "Thing" and she was not invited to play. She knows that their status has not changed, but she want's to make these two know she is always watching and doing her "Captain" duties. To her this mostly means bossing James and Twigs around and breaking in on Christian and Twigs as much as she can. Jealous, no she was not jealous, not at all.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
Christian smiled slightly to himself as their captain came strolling onto the bridge, though didn't say anything about the brief look of disapproval that flashed over Stacy's face. Instead, he playfully saluted the mute girl and nodded at her question. "Still waiting in line to get down on the planet, miss Stacy. There's been some kind of mishap down on the docks, so they're slowing the incoming traffic a bit. I'll let you know once we're clear to start hitting atmo and head down for docking - I've already called ahead and gotten us a bay."
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9691
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Watching Stacy excuse herself before another hand was dealt Theo sighs and tosses the deck he had begun to bridge back on the table. "Who knew Persephone was such a popular place eh?" Nodding to himself he tips his chair back a bit, digging one of the more fresh packs of cigarettes he picked up at the skyplex out of his pocket. Setting it ablaze he draws deep, and blows the smoke at the cieling.

"James, do you have any idea how long you plan to stay on Persephone?"
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5621
Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman Wolfman
Stacy was glad to know what the hold up was, she was starting to think they were going to be in trouble when they landed, but it looked like it was just a normal mess up on the ground that was holding them up. Touching another key the tablet spit out; Thanks for the Report Turning her attention to Twigs, she signs to her "What are you going to do?" Over the last several weeks she had been trying to teach the crew some of the Sign Language she knew, so she could at least get basic concepts across.

It was going OK, not great, but she really did not expect a lot from the group of people on the ship, she figured at least half of them would be unloading here and she would then be looking for a new bunch of lowlifes she could boss around. Beside she thought that if Twigs stepped off this ship, she was probably going to end up back in jail, she hoped she just stayed hidden, but Stacy was sure that was not going to happen.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Alone in the cockpit, Twigz stood gracefully and in a single step, planted herself atop Christian's lap. She sat there, wither her thighs on either side of his own, her bare feet tucked between his knees and her butt. Twigz smiled and nibbled on her index finger. She laughed-- not her usual girlish giggle, a mature, sexy laugh-- and lifted her t-shirt to expose her waifishly thin abdomen. Twigz looked down and shook her head. "No scar there; it must be higher up." Twigz' t-shirt continued to rise, exposing her small, perky...

Then Stacy walks in, and Twigz' daydream comes crashing down around her head. She slinks down lower in the co-pilot's seat, planting bare feet on the console. Twigz listens, with casual disinterest, to Christian's report, but perks up when Stacy questions her. I dunno. I thought I'd probably just stay aboard the ship, maybe do a rundown on the elctrical systems I've not had a chance to look at yet. If you land us a fat cargo, I could probably be persuaded to help load it.

Lies, they were all lies. Twigz had been away from Persephone for too long, and she was willing to risk arrest to enjoy its pleasures once more.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
"It's a bit of a shame you'll be missing out on seeing the planet's highlights, but I guess you can't really go running about in public too much," Since sign language wasn't exactly one of the things he was good at, Christian was sort of forced to read between the lines to pick up what Stacy's gestures had meant. "But I'll bring you back a souvenier if you like...Well, apart from the things you want from your parents' house."
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Twigz frowns. It's not an unpleasant frown, just a disappointed one. If Stacy would hurry up and get out of here, I could just tell him that he doesn't need to worry about a souvenier, that I fully plan to enjoy Persephone's pleasures in person.

Well, there is this pizza place that I love, called Wick's Pizza. I've not seen another Pizza like the Big Wick anywhere in the whole 'verse. If you bring me one of those things, I could probably eat it all by myself, but, since it's you, I'd share.