Notices

Old 07-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7484
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Conversation About the Game

Those of you in the service of a god will now find that more information about that god is displayed to you in secret text in the Campaign Information thread.

Edit 5/18/16: Welcome to Training Grounds! Here's a quick guide on what our threads look like and how to use them:
PurposeThreadThread Type
To talk about the game and how it's goingConversation About the GameOOC
To talk about real life and bond with the gangLet's Get To Know Each OtherOOC
To report time away from RPGX to have a lifeAttendance ConcernsOOC
To make notes to myself or ask questions privatelyMy Private ThreadPrivate
To read the chronicle of our story so farThe Campaign's StoryStory
To learn more about the geography and historyCampaign Information ThreadInformation
To read notes about NPCs we encountered or heard aboutThe Other Campaign Information ThreadInformation
To read an archive of rules discussions, house rules and notesRules, Thoughts and ObservationsInformation
To read more about the custom PbP combat system and discuss the party's default Rules of Engagement, for when my posted actions become impossible/unfeasibleROECombat, Arin StyleOOC
The Thread We Never Use Ever Because It's UselessThe Dice BoxMechanics

Last edited by arin12; 05-18-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Our first game thread is now active. Don't be afraid to hit me up with any questions. A few of you still have a couple of minor tweaks needed on your characters, but we can work on them as we go.

Hope you all have fun!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
That was a fun read. I'm excited to see how this adventure goes and to see the trouble I can get into with lion.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpinator View Post
That was a fun read. I'm excited to see how this adventure goes and to see the trouble I can get into with lion.
A couple of things about your post:
1) Who are you asking about exploring the grounds?
2) Stripping down and putting on your wood armor would take approximately two full minutes. You might be a bit late getting inside if you choose to do this now. (Plus while nudity in public is not illegal, per se, it's definitely frowned upon. A bit like singing the star spangled banner in a library's quiet section.)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
I can edit the first and the second if I need to. I was going for the low Cha aspect. Theo would enjoy singing in a quiet library. If I feel like doing it why not. Books are just trees and who doesn't sing in the forest. Should I be less extreme in my bluntness?

Last edited by delpinator; 07-26-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6350
Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk
I'm like delpinator, excited about this, not wanting to have my character strip naked.

How does timing work, as far as interacting with what people say, and the original post work?

Could I have started to react to Theo stripping naked in the street in that post. I don't think that something like that would be easily missed, and deserves a reaction, but wasn't sure if I should start reacting to other peoples posts in the first post, or how that all works.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I can edit the first and the second if I need to. I was going for the low Cha aspect. Theo would enjoy singing in a quiet library. If I feel like doing it why not. Books are just trees and who doesn't sing in the forest. Should I be less extreme in my bluntness?
Your choices are always your own, I'm never going to tell you what you "should" or "shouldn't" be doing. That would defeat the whole point of the game, which is to be free to do whatever you think your character would.

Since we're in training here, it just feels appropriate for me to point out all of the possible consequences of your choices (most significantly in this case, highlight the rules about how much time it takes to don armor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layk View Post
I'm like delpinator, excited about this, not wanting to have my character strip naked.

How does timing work, as far as interacting with what people say, and the original post work?

Could I have started to react to Theo stripping naked in the street in that post. I don't think that something like that would be easily missed, and deserves a reaction, but wasn't sure if I should start reacting to other peoples posts in the first post, or how that all works.
Things in a thread happen in the order that you see them, so yes - choosing to see Theo naked and react to it is a valid choice. Given the nature of the "crowd" scene, you could also choose /not/ to notice - it's all up to you.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6350
Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk Layk
thanks for the input, also, what is the etiquette for editing posts? (i did to show farnsies reaction after successfully overhearing one of the other players)

Was that appropriate?

Would it be appropriate to go back now and put in something about noticing a crazy kid stripping?

How does the appropriateness change as I change from being the last post?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layk View Post
thanks for the input, also, what is the etiquette for editing posts? (i did to show farnsies reaction after successfully overhearing one of the other players)

Was that appropriate?
Definitely! When you know how to read the results of your rolls (which was easy in this case, since I openly declared what the DC was), it's not only appropriate to go back and edit, it's bordering on expected. Generally the polite thing to do is just put something at the bottom, Post Still in Progress, Updating or something, to let people know that you're going to go back to add stuff based on roll results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layk
Would it be appropriate to go back now and put in something about noticing a crazy kid stripping?
Sure, if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layk
How does the appropriateness change as I change from being the last post?
Generally you have to be mindful of what you're adding in the context of who's gone. Say I was the poster above you, tdexor. Going back to edit my post to include an interaction with Corran would be perfectly fine and probably wouldn't require any special attention, whereas posting an interaction with Farnsie, well - you've already posted, so you might miss it.

It's still okay to do, but I'd probably PM you or throw something in OOC to call your attention to it, make sure you saw it.

The only time it's not appropriate to edit a post is when something's been built on it. Say, for example, delpinator decided he was going to change his post and not strip down. Once you've made your post reacting to it, it's too late - he's got to live with it, because forcing you to go back and repair things based on his repair is not appropriate.
(Of course, this being a training game sort of trumps that etiquette, we might do exactly that a couple of times as people experiment and take their first baby steps into this sort of thing. That's okay because, y'know... training.)

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for teaching me the [tt=Blah]blah blah[/tt] coding - I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of that.

Last edited by arin12; 07-26-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Just to make you guys aware, we are bringing in a new eighth player, Roofio. He is an experienced player, joining us because I thought it might help to have a "big brother" type around to set an example (and to call me out if my recollection of how things worked here years ago isn't reflective of how they work in the here and now), and also because he likes my DMing style and he's okay with going through the training period in order to get to the real game. Also frankly because a lot of my training exercises require an even number of PCs and I didn't want someone to be stuck with an NPC training partner.

Give him a warm welcome when he checks in later today.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:20 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 452
Roofio Roofio Roofio Roofio Roofio
-bows- Thank you thank you lol

Glad I get to join in. Ive been playing various forms of tabletop off and on since I was 14... im 25 now. Surprisingly I havent played as much as one might expect in all that time. Luckily I found this place about two years or so ago. Im actually just now returning here after disappearing last year lol.

Most of my experience is with D&D 3.5 but since Ive come here Ive gotten to play a few other systems and I am definitely a big fan of Pathfinder. I believe this will be my second...or third... time playing this system. And this time I decided to go with a class outside of my usual because the storyline I formed up fit with that a bit more and plus there wasn't already a barbarian. I honestly don't think I have ever played a barbarian, I usually go for Fighter (gotta love them feats) or sometimes a Ranger, so in a way I will be learning something new with you guys.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
You should join me in ditching societies need for clothes! It will be fun to have you along and I'm looking forward to learning what I can from your experience.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
You should join me in ditching societies need for clothes! It will be fun to have you along and I'm looking forward to learning what I can from your experience.
Ahh, delpin.. a first level druid already trying to learn the Invisibility spell.

Last edited by arin12; 07-26-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: It always said Druid, I swear.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 452
Roofio Roofio Roofio Roofio Roofio
Im excited to read whats going on lol I just finished reading Arin's info on the world and such.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
If I stand still out side I can blend into nature. You'd never notice a 13 year old boy naked right ?