User Statistics
RPXP: 382
Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr
The Last Heroes

Game NameThe Last Heroes
Game SystemMutants and Masterminds
ThemeSomething along the lines of Justice League Tower of Babel
FlavourEqual parts gritty and optimistic
Plot SummaryAfter decades of protecting the world, the superhero teams of the world are all taken out through a mass coordinated attack. However, some fledgling heroes who haven’t been with their respective teams long enough to make a mark are able to survive. It is now up to them to find out who was behind the attack and rebuild the superhero community.

I’m looking for five or six players to take through a super mystery adventure. Characters should be made for a Power Level of 7. I’m taking the rules off the hero SRD if there others sources that you would like me to look at, just let me know. I plan to get PDFs of some of the books over the course of the game and would like to know what to get first if there is anything the srd leaves out that you want to use.

Let me know if you have any questions. I haven’t posted a recruitment for M&M before.

Some background ideas could be how your character got powers, how they started heroing and got into their super group if they even did, where they were at the time of attack, what their super group was like, where it was based, and how they were attacked. You don’t need to include all of it, those are just some brainstorming points.

I’ll be keeping recruitment open until Jan 31st.

Last edited by Goldmyr; Dec 28th, 2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 414
Rook Rook Rook Rook Rook
Very interested. Assuming 3rd edition. How often are you expecting players to post?

I’m not sure what type of powers I’d want to go with for a level 7 hero yet just starting to brainstorm. I’m thinking he was a sidekick to a hero taken out in the attack, left for dead the others.

I’m not set on this yet, but something that sprung to mind was the hero’s powers were in someway bestowed by a relic that upon the hero’s death was transferred to the sidekick as his heir or something similar. Again just throwing stuff out there....

Or maybe the character had a latent/ weak ability to absorb/mimic the powers of other hero’s but when there was a massive attack his abilities were triggered and he gained powers that he didn’t have before and is now a fledgling hero in his own right.

Course I’ll probably go for something of a classic hero type energy controller or mentalist scaled to a sidekick level 7 basis. A hero in training situation that was somehow kept away from the attack or simply not killed when it ca,e because he didn’t register as important enough.

Last edited by Rook; Dec 28th, 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 08:55 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
I think once a day or every other day is a good posting speed.

Those are all good concepts. Would it help if you knew what kind of villain had orchestrated the attack?
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Rook Rook Rook Rook Rook
I’m good with a little flexibility but aiming for once a day. I don’t want to spoil the mystery if that’s part of it.

Right now I’m pondering a teleporter that was all but unseen by the team he was a part of because he was treated as nothing but a transporter and not taken seriously as a hero in his own right. His name was typically left off press releases and news stories about the team before the attack.

Though that might be too pricey for a level 7 so I am still considering the other options too.

Last edited by Rook; Dec 28th, 2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
OOh! A M&M game. I hope we don't break the GM... as it happens quite often here. =)

I would certainly be interested if you are offering to run a 3rd edition game.

I am thinking of a capable "teleportation gate" master (well, capable insofar as a 7th PL character can be, and that can be a lot, actually).
[Mind you, Rook, this is a "teleporter", too, in a way, but he uses gates more than anything else... for, well, everything.]

He was part of a team of second or third stringers who didn't do the Big Leagues yet. But they were active on a smaller scale at a street level capacity. When the big guys were taken out, most of his team mates simply went into hiding, fearing that if the "big guys" lost what chance did the little guys have? But someone's got to take a stand, right?

Enter "Gateway". With one unique power, but infinite variations on its uses, his ability to open dimensional gates marks him as superhuman, and he uses his powers to "take out the trash".

Or, if Rook is very much taken with his teleportation concept and we are separating the powers to not commingle the spotlight, I can do something akin to a Melee Tank: big, strong, heavy-hitter with lots of defense. Haven't done of those in... well, ever. =)

Should be a nice change of pace for me.

Or... as more ideas come to me as I am typing this, i can also do a psycho-kineticist, or mentalist telekinesis guy. Or a solid mentalist with lots of senses.

Oh, my... so many ideas.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
By the way, do you happen to have HeroLab?

Old Dec 29th, 2020, 06:28 AM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
I’ve never bothered to buy HeroLab, no. I’ve always built characters in my head.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmyr View Post
Would it help if you knew what kind of villain had orchestrated the attack?
I'd like to know, if it's no trouble.

~ Oscar Wilde
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 02:43 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Rook Rook Rook Rook Rook
I am not fixated on the teleportet concept MrKinister and can work with you to divvy things up or I can make a different concept we’ll figure it out. The teleporter is a high cost concept so I’ve added to my mix of ideas but it’s not at the top for that reason.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 494
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Very cool idea, definite interest!

I'm considering a either a legacy hero/sidekick to a dead or missing hero or an actual Golden Age (1940s) hero who has either been frozen in time (hey it worked for Captain America), unaging (or at least slow aging), or who has aged but has recently been rejuvenated and is now coming out of retirement. Maybe a speedster of some sort or even a paragon whose powers have waned since their peak but still has cunning an experience.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snek View Post
I'd like to know, if it's no trouble.
I sent you a pm for some background.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 03:53 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I am not fixated on the teleportet concept MrKinister and can work with you to divvy things up or I can make a different concept we’ll figure it out. The teleporter is a high cost concept so I’ve added to my mix of ideas but it’s not at the top for that reason.
Hey Rook,

Yes, no issues here at all. I am not married to a concept, but the "gate master" seems to have captured my imagination. Let's see what possible. It might happen that your character gets accepted and mine doesn't and then the whole question is moot. =)

By the way, Goldmyr, do you want only concepts now? Full sheets?

Do you have any particular house rules for character creation? Any banned or managed powers?

I used to make all characters with pencil and paper as well, and I used to swear on it. But then I got HeroLab and I realized how much easier it is to create a character that way. Takes about 1/3 of the time, and only 20% of the energy.

Highly Recommended. =D

Last edited by MrKinister; Dec 29th, 2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18061
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application - WIP
right-aligned image
Name: Caisson

Secret identity cover: Aleqasina Strauss

Power/Concept: Flying Energy blaster w/ duplicate flying minions

Description: Aleq is 5'4" and weighs just under 140 lbs. She is quite pretty, has an athletic build, green eyes and brown hair that cascades down to the middle of her back.
When in her hero persona, before she activates "the change" she is dressed all black with a cowl and a mask that covers her whole face and has mesh screen over the eye holes. She shows no skin at all. The mask is an off white. She has twin nine millimeter pistols in shoulder holsters to add to her serious look.

Gaining Powers and learning to live with them: Aleq was named after her Inuit grandmother, and her father says it is where he and she get their love of adventure.
She is an archaeologist, and while working on a dig in the thick Amazon jungle, where a survey team had found the remains of some interesting structures that didn’t seem to fit any other known civilization native to that region. While working on an outlying mound by herself, she heard a loud noise — almost like a machine — off in the jungle. Curious, she left her worksite to see what was causing the disturbance. She crept up through the jungle and came upon a most intriguing scene. A group of people who looked like mercenaries, were using a crane to move a strange object. At first she took it for some sort of airplane, but she soon realized it was actually an alien spaceship! She watched them work, careful not to reveal her presence, but keeping her eyes open for a way to obtain something from the ship for herself. An alien artifact would be the find of a lifetime. She’d get tenure. She’d get rich!
Soon her watchfulness paid off . As the ship was lifted out of the crater it had made in the jungle, she saw a small object fall from inside. While the group was focused on getting the ship safely onto a platform that would clearly be covered up and loaded onto a large flatbed truck nearby, she darted out from her hiding place, snatched the object from the ground, and got back behind cover. She stuffed the object in her backpack and snuck away as quietly as she could.
When she decided she’d gotten away without anyone noticing her, she took the object out of her pocket and looked at it. It was... odd. Definitely an amulet or necklace of some sort, she figured, even if it was rather large, but nothing from any Earth culture she’d ever heard of.
left-aligned image
Intrigued, she strung a simple cord through the hole on the object and put it on.
As soon as she had it settled around her neck, she felt it tighten and seize onto her. The amulet was bonding with her, attaching itself to her flesh. As she reached to tear it away, a cacophony of images flooded into her mind, causing her to clutch her head in pain. Finally the agony in her skull became too much to handle, and she screamed, blacking out.
Others from her research team heard her and came to her aide. She was comatose for a week for no known reason.
When she finally came to, she knew she was different.
Over the next month, the alien device that had joined itself with her body continued to interact with her mind and body.
She realized it had given her superpowers — she could change her form to that of some alien hardened substance that could sprout wings, shoot out beams of energy and even create small 'flying wing' shaped duplicates of herself. She realized the good and bad in this. This power was hers now, and she wasn’t going to let whatever aliens this belonged to, or anyone else, take it.
The change brought with it an overwhelming desire to enforce justice. She tries to still work as a professor to maintain some semblance of a normal life, but she’s not the woman she once was. She’s no longer a greedy and fame seeking person with a drive to work to the top of her field and get recognition, she's something far, far better.
She sometimes become suspicious and paranoid, especially where aliens (or anyone who looks like he might be an alien) are concerned — xenophobia in the true sense of the word. She’s particularly concerned that the aliens, or even someone else, will take her powers away from her, which she fears would lead to her death.

Background: A few years ago, Aleq was living a life of self indulgence, greed, and a desire for fame. Her love of Archeology had her traveling the world, seeking that next "find" that would make her name known far and wide.
She was told it wouldn't happen overnight, and after a few years she became jaded and angry. She began cutthroat deals and underhanded practices, which made her some money, but made her something of an outcast in her field.
Once the alien sentient technology melded with her, everything changed.
She has a desire to see justice served now, and a drive to see things put right. Of course, she doesn't always think the law or courts are the best way to go.
She started dressing in what some call a "commando" type outfit to keep her identity hidden once she set out to fight crime. She has pistols, but she's never used them, instead, she will transform to into the solid alien form, fly around and shoot energy blasts at opponents.
She's made a name for herself and has been approached by a super team or two, but she's still waiting for the right one.
She's worked with the police on occasion.
In her altered form, she looks like an ebony-gray stone form of her body with slightly glowing blue lines etched throughout.
Her voice is changed as well. She can sprout odd angular shaped wings from her back and fly, the trailing edges of the wings seeming to propel some kind of energy that makes her go.
When her wings flex and the tips move closer together, they begin to glow. When they touch a line of light blue energy arcs out in a line, blasting anything in its path.
She can also move in an odd dance, and the blueish veins begin to take shape. Up to four things that look as she does flake off her her body, looking like small flying wings about the size of a hawk with it's wings spread. They have no arms, just articulating feet that come out should they choose to land.
They seem very curious and although they have an offensive energy blast just like she does, they can also use their beams to draw on surfaces, and even do somethings as if the beam was a finger.
They tend to carve alien runes on surfaces everywhere they go.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Feb 8th, 2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
Also posting interest. Considering the other concepts posted, I'm thinking about an illusionist that can round out some of the intelligence / social skills.

~ Oscar Wilde
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 06:33 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Rook Rook Rook Rook Rook
I always liked the name Gateway for a teleportal character MrKinister even though I know it’s been used many times. Gate Master is also good one. I was going to go with Lock for my teleporter’s name. Right now I’m going to finish building up Lock but I’m thinking you should run with it. Maybe I’ll make up a complementary hero ..... hmmmm

Last edited by Rook; Dec 29th, 2020 at 06:34 PM.