twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4840
Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel
Ghosts of the Saltmarsh

Game NameGhosts of the Saltmarsh

Game SystemDnD 5e

ThemeAdventure on the high seas! A series of character-driven encounters varying from dungeon crawls to murder mysteries to good ol’ fashioned ship battles all woven together into an over-arching campaign.

FlavourForgotten Realms meets Pirates of the Caribbean… without Jack (we named the monkey Jack).

Plot SummaryNestled on the Sword Coast is Saltmarsh, a sleeping fishing village that sits on the precipice of destruction. Smugglers guide their ships to hidden coves, willing to slit the throat of anyone foolhardy enough to cross their path. Cruel sahuagin gather beneath the waves, plotting to sweep away coastal cities. Drowned sailors stir to unnatural life, animated by dark magic and sent forth in search of revenge. The cult of a forgotten god extends its reach outward from a decaying port, hungry for fresh victims and willing recruits. While Saltmarsh slumbers, the evils that seek to plunder it grow stronger. Heroes must arise to keep the waves safe!

And, of course, to fine adventure, fame, and fortune on the high seas.

The Story Begins
It is the 2nd of Flamerule 1493 DR (but don’t read too much into that date). The sailing ship Skimmer is preparing to leave Waterdeep with the evening tide. It has taken on a few new crewmembers in Waterdeep and preparing to sail for Saltmarsh to acquire provisions for your impending voyage to… well actually… Captain Riven hasn’t told you where. As the sun sets, he calls the crew to the aft deck. An educated man and a noble by birth, Captain Riven does not resemble the weathered sea captain many of the adventure tales describe. Instead, he deports himself with strength, grace, and even a bit of charm. People can’t help but like him… but not everyone.

The crew gathered, the Captain gives his traditional address before embarkation. “Some of us have sailed together for years, some of us months, others not at all.” He surveys you, his crew. “But we are family aboard Skimmer. Like all families, we have are ups and down. We work and we play. We laugh and we fight. Some stay and some go. Tonight, we sail to Saltmarsh for supplies. In that short journey, we shall determine our course… and if some of our family should accompany us or remain behind. We have two good officers aboard this ship.” He points to his first and second mates (identities to be determined during “Session Zero”). ”They are ready to command their own ships. In Saltmarsh, we will acquire a ship and one of them will become Captain. Some of you may choose to follow this new Captain, and that is good and right, for while a family should stick together, it doesn’t always mean that they should stay together. Tomorrow, the officers and I will decide who is to be this new Captain. I will also disclose our destination.” There is a general murmur amidst the crew which the Captain silences with a hand. ”I will admit, I have withheld its identify until now because the voyage will be dangerous. Over the years, many have attempted to dissuade me from even attempting this journey, but I cannot escape destiny. However, it would be unfair of me to lead you there without a choice. So… tomorrow you will be given that choice. You may continue on a perilous journey with me, or you can join the crew of a new ship under a new captain.”

At that moment, a messenger boy rushes up the gangplank and hands the quartermaster (identity to be determined later) a folded and sealed note. The quartermaster hands it to the Captain who places it in his coat pocket without reading it.

“And now, let us be underway,” Captain Riven commands. “Hoist sails and prepare to shove off.” All hands engage in the organized chaos that is the Skimmer leaving Waterdeep harbor and sailing into the night.

The following morning, Captain Riven is found dead in his quarters.

Character-Driven Campaign
There has been a lot of discussion on this and other boards regarding character-driven campaigns. One of the biggest frustrations with D&D and other RPGs is that players too often get bogged down in game mechanics which doesn’t allow them to explore character development. I believe 5th edition fixed some of that by removing a good portion of the “math” associated with games. Along with that podcasts and Twitch shows such as “Critical Role” and “Nights of Eveningstar” provide some excellent examples of how characters can drive the campaign.

While I am advertising this campaign as Ghosts of Saltmarsh, I am using that book as the foundation of the beginning of the adventure. This will get us started. I will use this book, several other published works, and a bit of homebrew to links adventures together to provide each character with an opportunity to excel. Some portions of the campaign may revolve around one character, while another will center on another. As the campaign progresses, we will be able to explore a wide variety of character decisions and turning points. Who knows? We may even explore the outer planes if our quests take us there.

Character Creation
The application process will be rapid. Closing date is 8 Feb 2021. All I want for an application is:

Character Name:
Race:
Class:
History:
Link to Current Post:

Okay, the first two are pretty self-explanatory. List the name and race of your character.

With class, please also list your desired build (i.e. shadow sorcerer, death domain, battle master, etc.) with the understanding that we proceed through the character creation process and even the first few weeks of the game, this may change. I don’t expect anything beyond first level to be set in stone at this point.

Described the history of your character to include your proposed background. Where does your character come from? What events placed that character in Waterdeep and prompted them to join the crew of the Skimmer? Please note: I don’t expect everyone, or even anyone, to have a Sailor or Marine background. Choose any background you want, but something drove your character to a (temporary?) life at sea. At least for the time being. Is it a phase their parents will hope will pass? Is it a personal quest given by a deity/patron? Is it a matter of running from the law? Why join? This is what your history should detail.

Provide a link to a current post on RPG Crossing. This means, yes, I am looking for somewhat experienced players, or at least players who have gone through the initial Solo Campaign to get the feel of the play-by-post environment. I would like to see your writing style, how you interact with other players and GMs, and generally how you play. Since this is going to be a character-driven campaign, I would like to see a post with some characterization in it. Simply right-click on the number in the upper right-hand corner of the post (not the forum, but the individual post) and select “Copy hyperlink” or whatever is equivalent for your browser. Paste that in your application. Obviously, this should be a post to a public game that I would be able to view.

That is it. No rolling yet and no character sheets required. By the end of the day on 8 Feb, I will notify those players I have selected (about 6-8 players, depending on applications). I am looking for players who can post two or three times per week (other reason for the link to a post… I can actually look at past posting rates).

For what it’s worth, characters will start at 1st level with a 29 point-buy for stats. Starting proficiencies and equipment will be according to class and background. You may use a combination any WoTC published material with the exception of Ravnica and Ebberon (since those books contain elements which sometimes do not translate well into the Forgotten Realms). The only other thing I would say is that monster races are often met with extreme resistance and prejudice in many port towns, so playing a little goblin girl might pose a significant disadvantage. But hey, it’s character-driven, so have a good backstory and a strong character concept and I’ll consider it.

Please no homebrew material at this time.

Session Zero
Going to try something a bit different, for me anyway. For other games, I have included some “Session Zero” elements in this forum as part of the character creation process. I don’t want to do that with this game. Again, since this one will be a bit more character driven, I want to build the scenario from ground-zero. During Session Zero, which will be a thread in the game forum, we will further discuss relationships with other PCs and NPCs, establish roles in the crew (i.e. first mate, bosun, cook, carpenter, etc.), and identify key goals for each character (such as a life quest, personal mission, etc.). These elements will be included in the campaign.

Application Status
Player Character Name Race Class Status DK DH  
hafrogman Bartholomew Finn Human Artificer (Armorer) Complete - - 
delpinator Sarpetor Horineth Wood Elf Druid Complete Y - 
Dembe Gurdis Thunderbeard Hill Dwarf Tempest Domain Cleric Complete Y Y 
Wyrom Eric Calhoum Water Genasi Warlock (Pact of the Tome) Complete - - 
Noltelix Mindri Vesh Mountain Dwarf Fighter (Rune Knight) Complete - - 
Murdoch Rolf Nose Biter Half-orc Barbarian (Berserker) Complete - - 
Girlplay Kethra Ravenhorn Human Paladin (Vengeance) Complete - - 
AG128L Rangi Te Kura Half-orc Barbarian (Storm Herald) Complete - - 
Tahril Celia Celeste Human Druid (Circle of Stars) Complete - - 
Novawurmson Hyanath Aedius Elf (Eldarin) Bard (Creation) Complete - - 
Alemar Solara Terrene Wild Elf Ranger (Hunter) Complete - - 
Oakie Gustomere "Lucky" Brambles Lightfoot Halfling Cleric (Trickery) Complete - - 
Mason Kayne Masari Half-elf Sorcerer Complete - - 
Silent Rain Chance Leforte Human Rogue (Buckles o' Swash) Complete - Y 
Gath Blayze Fire Genasi Warlock (Efreeti, Tome) Complete Y - 
Homestarbaby Avanha Waverider High Elf Wizard (illusionist) Complete - - 
Thesandwichking Euros Leonin Barbarian (Wild Magic) Complete - - 
Arjuna332 Reginhild Drakewill Human Paladin (Glory) Complete - - 
Draidden Puma Seawatcher Nagulaga Goliath Fighter (Scout) Complete - - 

These last two columns indicate whether you have expressed interest in joining my other campaigns.

Last edited by Paerniel; Feb 8th, 2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12528
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Application
right-aligned image
Character Name: Bartholomew Finn
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Artificer (Armorer)

History: Finn was never quite sure just why his father was so fixated on him becoming a wizard. Atticus was always going on about opportunities he hadn't had as a child, opportunities he was going to make sure Bartholomew took full advantage of. But why specifically a wizard? Maybe it was Grannie Finn's ramblings about there being magic in their bloodline that first put that particular idea in her son's head. Either way, Finn was just a boy when his father apprenticed him to a local mage, a crusty old man living in an even crustier manor, surrounded by ancient tomes and strange odors. Young Finn took to magic well enough, it was all exciting and new. But the life of a wizard just didn't appeal. Perhaps with a different tutor, things might have turned out differently. But Old Man Sedgewick just wasn't an inspirational role model for a boy with far too much energy and curiosity for his own good.

In the end, though, it was Master Sedgewick who put Finn on his path. He was always placing custom orders for this and that from the local craftsman. Then, far too important and busy to run his own errands, he would always send his apprentice to fetch his things. The mage was also just a little bit absent-minded when it came to piddling little details like 'when the items will be ready' and 'how long ago I sent that Finn boy into town'. As a result, Finn spent many hours watching various craftsman going about their work, finishing up Sedgewick's orders. That was where Finn first discovered the joy of working with his hands. He began assembling his own tools and materials on the sly, using his spare time to tinker with anything and everything he could get ahold of. He even started taking knowledge he had picked up from his apprenticeship and combining the two pursuits, applying arcane skills to his craftsmanship and vice versa.

It was Atticus who finally brought things to a head, though. He discovered his son's workshop, which led to a long, wearisome lecture on the unsuitability of a craftsman's life. Finn's father was bound and determined that his son would have a real career, not be some... common laborer. It was somewhere in the second hour of this lecture that Finn found himself staring out the window, as he often did during Sedgewick's lessons. But today, something particular caught his eye. Over the rooftops, the topmasts of ships down at the dock were visible, passing this way and that as they went about their business. The port had always been there, just a sort of background part of life in Waterdeep. But today it represented something else, it represented an escape.

A more patient boy might have completed his studies, and lived a comfortable life of his own choosing. But that was years away, and Finn never was one for long-term planning. Instead, that night found him stealing away from home, away from his father, away from Old Man Sedgewick and towards a life of freedom. He was still too young to be much of a sailor, but he found a berth as a cabin boy. Life at sea was a rather harsh adjustment, not exactly the excitement and adventure Finn had envisioned when he'd made this plan. But he was young and resilient, he bounced back. Eventually he even found himself work as a apprentice Mechanical background: GoS p33shipwright. Captain Riven's announcement has left him a little uncertain as to his own fate, though. A new ship, under a new captain? They'd need a new shipwright, yes? Was he experienced enough to take on that responsibility for himself?

Link to Current Post: Dragon Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paerniel View Post
You may use a combination any WoTC published material with the exception of Ravnica and Ebberon
Are you considering the Artificer as Eberron specific, or with the advent of Tasha's Cauldron, has it entered the more general realm?

Last edited by hafrogman; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2149
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Character Creation
right-aligned image

Character Name: Sarpetor Horineth
Race: wood elf
Class: druid(moon druid)
History: I was born in the misty forest where we lived our lives in relative peace. I cared for our animals and learned to hunt as fish as needed. Life was simple this all turned around a few years ago when my family was attacked by a cat-like demon though it spared me. I tried looking for it though it seemed to have disappeared. In the morning I found a totem and I sought out elders to learn further information. I learned the totem was a fey and was trained in the ways of the druids for further defense.

I met enweenen she was beautiful and was a cartographer who worshiped Corellon Larethian. She was learning from the elders the elven history and lore reguarding the various maps of the area. We had hit it off well and traveled some time looking for the creature though we grew appart my search for the creature became my passion and she had other projects she needed to pursue. She left me and said should we find each other and i found what i was looking for we could continue were we left off. I still don't know why it spared my life or why it attacked though further information was said to be in waterdeep a place full of people that there must have been someone there who might have answers.

Link to Current Post:
poking the bear

Last edited by delpinator; Jan 30th, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 10:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafrogman View Post
Are you considering the Artificer as Eberron specific, or with the advent of Tasha's Cauldron, has it entered the more general realm?
Tasha's made the artificer not world-specific. So, an artificer would be a great choice.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 350
Dembe Dembe Dembe Dembe
Application
right-aligned image
Character Name: Gurdis Thunderbeard
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Tempest Domain Cleric

History: Gurdis, a devout follower of Kord, never stays long in one place. Constantly in search of divine inspiration, he travels the Sword Coast for signs of Kord's work. Be it on land or sea, Gurdis never shies away assisting those in need, nor does he fear a new adventure. This bravery is how we find Gurdis on the deck of the Skimmer, defiantly standing guard against the waves. The destination of the ship is not important. Kord will be there, guiding Gurdis to his next great adventure.

Link to Current Post: Tides of Retribution
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 11:09 AM
One Among the Fence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 797
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Basic Information
right-aligned image
Character Name: Eric Calhoum

Race: Water Genasi

Class: Warlock (Pact of the Tome)

History: Eric grew up poor on the streets of Seaton alongside his mother. Stealing for food grew into stealing for coin and Eric had only turned fourteen when he had his first encounter with the Barsee gang, a group of thugs running smalltown jobs in the seedier parts of the city. Two years later he was fully in their grasp, abandoning his mother at the promise of fortune and adventure.

This promise was very shortlived, as the Barsee's had sinister plans for the lad. Eric was used as a scapegoat to begin a feud between two royal factions on the city, and the gang left him to be caught red-handed stealing from one family, presumably for the other. A young man's adventure turned into a fifteen year prison sentence and a waking nightmare.

Five years in Eric began to hallucinate, first just sounds, his name coming from the far corner of his cell. Later it became visual, creeping tentacles and barnacles growing along the walls. The visions grew to daily occurrences, interrupting his already miserable life. Fearing he was going mad, he reasoned with the vision, asking how he could end his otherworldly punishment. A deep voice Eric had not heard clung to his mind, demanding his sanity and refusing to let go.

Eric fought for days, eventually being carried to solitary for fear of harming others. When he finally gave up, tired and near death from exhaustion the voice praised him, promising to give Eric all he would need to fulfill The Deep Ones wishes. He told Eric to head towards Saltmarsh, board the Skimmer, and await his call.

The very day, Eric was released early. No explanation was given, only a beating and a word of caution to leave Seaton. Seeing no alternatives, the man of now twenty-four departed for Saltmarsh.

Last edited by Wyrom; Feb 9th, 2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 306
AG128L AG128L AG128L AG128L
I’ve been keeping my eye out for Ghosts of Saltmarsh to appear. Would you allow us to use a feature from one of the Ghosts of Saltmarsh backgrounds (thinking Fisher) to make a customized background? To better tailor the tools and skills to our character idea. I know we don’t need a character sheet yet, but I’d like to make sure it makes sense with the History section I write.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 01:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG128L View Post
Ive been keeping my eye out for Ghosts of Saltmarsh to appear. Would you allow us to use a feature from one of the Ghosts of Saltmarsh backgrounds (thinking Fisher) to make a customized background? To better tailor the tools and skills to our character idea. I know we dont need a character sheet yet, but Id like to make sure it makes sense with the History section I write.
I'd prefer that we don't do homebrew to ensure balance between characters. Go ahead and write up a history and we can see what we have to work with. Perhaps a different background might work. We can talk about it.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 306
AG128L AG128L AG128L AG128L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paerniel View Post
I'd prefer that we don't do homebrew to ensure balance between characters. Go ahead and write up a history and we can see what we have to work with. Perhaps a different background might work. We can talk about it.
Okay! Sorry, I didnt think about that being homebrew since the PHB has rules for customizing a background. Thanks for the quick response.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:37 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1084
Noltelix Noltelix Noltelix Noltelix Noltelix Noltelix Noltelix Noltelix
Application
right-aligned image

Character Name: Mindri Vesh

Race: Dwarf (Mountain)

Class: Fighter - heading to Rune Knight (Sage Background)

Description:

History:
Mindri is, first and foremost, a scholar of history. Mindri is also, as a fairly close second, something of a pariah. Always prone to gravitate to the more arcane and obscure corners of the theoretical, Mindri stumbled upon a manuscript some years ago that had been stuffed away in the dusty corner of a seldom visited wing of a small and otherwise unnoteworthy Waterdhavian library. The premise proposed therein would capture his imagination entirely and set him on a course that would see his own life forever altered and, if he can bring others around, forever alter the very foundation of Dwarven society.

Mindri is looking for further evidence to support the idea that Dwarves (potentially Gnomes as well, but that is beside the point) are in fact Giants. Or, at least the races are closely related. Or, perhaps more accurately put, they may share a common ancestor. It’s all a bit convoluted actually, though he is more than happy to dive in should he find an interested ear to bend. If true, this revelation could mean upheaval on a grand scale with social and religious implications for his fellow stout folk.

What it has meant in more practical and immediate terms is that Mindri is now persona non grata among the less imaginative and more “traditional” sages of the region. Having burned what few bridges he’d once built, he finds himself at a crossroads. Now, a discredited academic with ever dwindling sympathy among the learned (and narrow-minded) elite of the city, Mindri has collected his papers and headed off to the docks.

The bundle of parchments he carries includes within a worn and tattered map that he has studied with particular interest of late. It shows an unnamed body of water and an island marked by what appears to be a stylized Ferd rune in Old Giant script. Of course, this could mean any number of things but there is knowledge out there waiting to be uncovered and Mindri can picture with glee the blushing and bespectacled faces that will eat their hats when he finds it.

He almost reverses course when he gets a look (and a whiff) at what the docks have to offer but, just before turning back, his gaze lands upon a potential diamond in the rough. A man of noble bearing is barking orders to a sharp looking crew. More impressive still, the man actually seems to know what the words “tailoring” and “grooming” mean. In at least that regard, a man after his own heart perhaps. As Mindri makes his way over coiled ropes and around tangled fishing nets the name of the ship comes into view. With any luck, his ticket out of town will be the "Skimmer."

Link to Current Post: Lost Mines

Last edited by Noltelix; Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG128L View Post
Okay! Sorry, I didnt think about that being homebrew since the PHB has rules for customizing a background. Thanks for the quick response.
You're right. PHP does account for customizations. Let's take a look at your backstory and see what we can adapt for a background.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1066
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch

Character Name: Rolf Nose Biter
Race: Half Orc
Class: Barbarian (Path of the Berserker)

I am happy to change any background details necessary to fit into your game.

History:
Rolf grew up in the Iron Claw Orc tribe in the grasslands and rolling foothills at the base of a mountain range. The tribe had made a truce with a nomadic tribe of humans that travelled through the area a few times each year. The orc and human chieftains both had younger sons that needed wives, as well as an unmarried daughter, so the truce was celebrated with a double wedding, and Rolf was born not long after. He took after his father physically, but his mother also had her influence. She was able to blunt the harsher attitudes of the full blood orcs, so Rolf never engaged in the more vicious activities of the tribe.

Life in the Iron Claw tribe could be brutal. Those who were too weak were left to die, and the adults would not intervene in the fights of the children. Rolf was as rough and tumble as the other children, but a boy named Goresh, who was a year older, took great pleasure in beating him almost every day. Rolf would always fight back, but Goresh was bigger and stronger, so it never made any difference. Finally, Rolf had had enough, so one day he decided to strike first. Goresh was talking to some other boys when Rolf spotted him, and he leapt on the larger boy with a scream of rage. Goresh went down in a rain of blows and Rolf jumped on top of him and kept swinging. Unfortunately, the surprise wore off and Goresh grabbed both of Rolf’s hands and smiled cruelly. Before Goresh could take advantage of grabbing Rolf, the younger boy closed his mouth over Goresh’s nose and bit down until he tore off a large hunk of flesh. Goresh bellowed in pain and let go of Rolf to put his hands over his face. Rolf looked at the older boy with a large, bloody grin and swallowed Goresh’s nose. He then picked up a rock and laughed as he beat Goresh unconscious. This, of course, is why Rolf is called Nose Biter.

As sometimes happens with young boys, Rolf and Goresh became close friends after the fight. They began combat training together and, when they beat each other bloody now, it had a purpose and there was no malice in it. As they got older Goresh and Rolf would go hunting together and they always fought next to each other when the tribe raided their rival orc tribe in the area, the Bloody Fang’s.

Eventually word came that the nomadic tribe they had a treaty with had a new chief. The old chief’s children had all died in battle or from disease and he had finally succumbed to an illness himself. The new chief, Hyrim, had never liked being allied with them, so the Iron Claw chief was sure it would end. So, he declared that when the humans next passed through the area, they would launch a raid on them. However, Hyrim didn’t wait for that to happen. When it was still about a month from when the humas were expected, Rolf woke up one night to the sound of battle. He grabbed his axe and left his hut to join in the fight. Everything was chaos, but he soon saw they were under attack by the humans and by the Bloody Fang tribe. It seemed they had made an alliance and launched a surprise attack. Rolf cut his way through several humans before he managed to see Goresh, surrounded by dead foes, with his huge bloody maul wreaking havoc. Rolf joined his friend and they slaughtered several humans and orcs, but the attack was well coordinated and his tribe was taken completely by surprise, so they weren’t able to mount any sort of proper defense. Rolf and Goresh were soon surrounded and the last thing Rolf remembers from the fight is cutting a human almost in two, but being unable to recover his axe in time to completely block the sword that was being swung down on the top of his head. He felt terrible pain, and then nothing.

When Rolf regained consciousness, he was lying under Goresh’s dead body and his village was mostly in ashes. He was the only member of the tribe to have survived. He managed to gather some weapons and enough supplies to survive and he left the only home he ever knew. As the last of his people he had vowed to achieve enough glory that they will be remembered, and to some-day return home and kill Hyrim and as many of his tribe and Bloody Fangs as possible.

Game Link
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...194616&page=10
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14199
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
I'll go ahead and throw my ski mask in the ring here. I've pondering an unusual character concept for a while and this looks like the place to try it out. She's a a paladin, probably a former guild artisan or merchant, or maybe a custom background as a farmer or hunter or serf. I'll have to peruse the deities of the Realms. Her career path would be the Oath of Domination, but a more lawful good or neutral version. In short, some people are meant to lead. Others are meant to follow and happy to do so. She's an archer but when she does get in close, she uses a whip - because smiting with a whip is really funny to me. Plus, it adds to the whole dominatrix theme. I'll probably have to get a waver on the starting equipment for a paladin to start with a bow and a whip.

This is all still a work in progress.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Digging the applications. I really like these ideas. Some excellent character choices.

Glad to see you give it a shot, Girlplay. A lot of my "getting started" content came from some of the discussion about adaptive GMs. This should be fun.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14199
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Character app, archer-paladin
right-aligned image

Name: Kethra Ravenhorn
Race: Human (variant) - Illuskan
Patron: Savras, god of divination and fate
Class: Paladin of the Order of the Gilded Eye (Oath of Vengeance)
Build: Armored archer
Background: custom: Skills: Nature and Stealth. Tools: cooking utensilshunter
Theme: Submission and Domination

A brief history: After a failed attempt as traders, the Ravenhorn family settled in the small community of Blackford Crossing, outside of Luskan. They plied their skills at archery into becoming renowned hunters. Stor, the family patriarch, was more than a successful hunter and businessman but also a bit of a philosopher about the state of the Human condition. It was his studies and teachings into class politics that gained him some recognition with other scholars in the area. With his partner Silifrey, he raised a large family of 6 children. The oldest of his offspring was Kethra. He ran his house with a firm but fair hand, and taught his children much of his philosophies: that there were 2 kinds of people in the world. Some are meant to lead. Many more are meant to follow. The followers do so gratefully. Leaders often do so reluctantly, and always with the welfare of their followers in mind.

Confidentially, Stor viewed Kethra as a budding leader (a dominant), not just because she was the oldest but because she understood the roles better than most. To that end, he sought out the Order of the Gilded Eye as a place for his daughter to learn and grow into the person she was destined to become. While Kethra was not as interested in the order's mission of hunting infernal creatures, she did find the concept of serving and guarding others as compelling reason to stay with the order. Her interest in Fate and her role in the world lead her to worship of the god Savras. A small sect of the order in Neverwinter practiced the ideals of domination and submission, furthering Kethra's understanding of her father's philosophies, which she adopted as her own beliefs. She was anointed as a Paladin of Savras in a secret ceremony presided over by a nobleman and cleric named Ivor Bersk. If anybody in the world is Kethra's superior, it's Ivor.

Since joining the order and choosing the path of a paladin, Kethra has began to travel up and down the Sword Coast in search of the place she belongs. Having always enjoyed nature, whether it be the forest she grew up in or the open sea, Kethra took to the life of a sailor immediately. While not as adept as many other deckhands, she proved to be smart and capable enough to be useful. Mostly, she earned her place as a cook. Her fellow sailors came to respect and like her, especially for her interest in domination which proved to be quite an icebreaker and bonding experience (pun intended).

Example of play: Sister Noemie

Last edited by girlplay; Jan 30th, 2021 at 04:15 PM.
Closed Thread