RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 12:13 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmyr View Post
Original post got eaten by the site, I hope it tasted good.

I think I need to experiment a bit for the first couple of fights. I can see where rolling for the players would keep the game speed moving, especially where a player may want to know the state of other players. I can also see where having the players roll keeps them closer to the narrative so they could get more inspiration from their own die rolls.
It may or may not work for you, but in a game that I'm running in 5e, I use a passive score for several of the "automatic" skills. Because it is reasonable to assume that all the characters are at least fairly alert at all times, perception is one of those, along with skills to recall or understand information (like expertise skills). It's just 10 + their modifier. So whenever the players enter a new scene, I just compare their passive scores to whatever is present, to see who notices or recalls information about what.

Then, if the players want to look at something specific, they can roll for it themselves. Saying "I look for danger" doesn't cut it, but it's assumed that the character is already looking for common threats. On the other hand, they can say "I look for traps buried in the dirt." I'm pleased with the results so far, because players are no longer guessing as to what they are "supposed" to roll, and they know that no matter what, they at least have a decent amount of what information is present already available to them. And when they do roll, it is with a specific goal in mind.

~ Oscar Wilde
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 01:23 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 382
Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr
I like to do a lot of that all ready. Passives don’t really help with the combat thing though.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 01:34 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31589
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Goldmyr take a look at Arbiters of a New Age and you can see how WhovianBeast handled rolling in the game. I believe it is the only M&M game here to make teh Hall of Fame. The way he ran it the game was able to keep a pace fast enough to make most DMs cry. It would be impossible if he were constantly waiting for players to roll a Defensive check for each NPC attack and vice versa. I understand there are multiple POV on what to do but you really want to look at what works from the GM perspective in a PbP format. I know Mr K has some experience behind the GM screen too so you could always check out one of his games as well.

Obviously do whatever works for you but there are plenty of samples on here to check out and see what you like.
COVID Vax #2 4/21 if I am slow to post it is probably due to needing some time to bounce back.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 02:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
Goldmyr take a look at Arbiters of a New Age and you can see how WhovianBeast handled rolling in the game. I believe it is the only M&M game here to make teh Hall of Fame. The way he ran it the game was able to keep a pace fast enough to make most DMs cry. It would be impossible if he were constantly waiting for players to roll a Defensive check for each NPC attack and vice versa. I understand there are multiple POV on what to do but you really want to look at what works from the GM perspective in a PbP format. I know Mr K has some experience behind the GM screen too so you could always check out one of his games as well.

Obviously do whatever works for you but there are plenty of samples on here to check out and see what you like.

@Avner: Birth of the Superhumans made it into the Hall of Fame in 2013. It was in contention in 2012 until people complained that it was only around for 11 months, not the full year required. Unfortunately Daygamer had to leave for life reasons but it had an amazing run. I wouldn't normally point this out but I was fortunate to be a part of it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 02:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 993
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmyr View Post
Yeah, I realized that when I looked at her profile again. For some reason, I thought she was an elf. Anyway, I was mostly responding to the part where you said aliens usually describe things that don't resemble humans when a large number of them are practically indistinguishable except for superficial details. But most importantly, I was just being a smart@$$.
I guess what I was trying to say was the "alien" in the description did not add any connotations that were meaningful or accurate. Maybe I'm just being picky because to me "An Elemental Mage from another world" just sounds completely different from "An alien elemental mage". The best way to think about it is like from the sci-fi show Sliders.

Anyway, I figure that if anyone actually recognized the setting Sorsiel is from, they'd be tickled pink. Seems no one has. That's fine. Looking forward to explaining that to Goldmyr, if interested.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 02:42 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
@Avner: Birth of the Superhumans made it into the Hall of Fame in 2013. It was in contention in 2012 until people complained that it was only around for 11 months, not the full year required. Unfortunately Daygamer had to leave for life reasons but it had an amazing run. I wouldn't normally point this out but I was fortunate to be a part of it.
Awesome, that was before my time here but really sweet to have multiple in there.
COVID Vax #2 4/21 if I am slow to post it is probably due to needing some time to bounce back.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 08:12 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
Now I'm curious to know what Sorsiel is based off of.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 08:21 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2299
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
My character wasn't part of a superhero team. I hope that's okay. I think it'll provide some interesting roleplaying opportunities.
Application
right-aligned image
Birth name: Nadia Noire
Concept: Cat burglar turned reluctant hero

Appearance: A lithe, but exceptionally fit woman of Slavic and Romani descent. When working, tends to wear practical, athletic clothes, highlighted with high-tech eye and mouthpieces of her own design.

Powers: "Mundane" expertise in technology, medicine, acrobatics, martial arts, and break-and-enter skills. Uses super-drugs to boost her physical abilities to low-superhuman levels.

Background: Firstly, Nadia was never a superhero. She was a criminal - not even a supervillain. This was not due to any tearjerking backstory; no absuive parents, no socially isolating mutations, no desperate need for money that forced her into a life of crime - just arrogance, disdain for authority, and an addiction to the adrenaline rush. Though she could restrain her fierce independence long enough to pass through years of ballet, gymnastics, and martial arts training as a girl, or to earn her engineering and pharmaceutical science degrees as an adult, she couldn't stand to enter the working world of nine-to-fives and kowtowing to management. Instead, she took her skills to the streets.

Nadia essentially became a mercenary cat burglar. Clients, ranging from mob bosses to millionaires to businesses to foreign governmens, hired her to steal high-security goods such as art, historical artifacts, or technological prototypes. In addition to having the acrobatic skills and technical know-how to defeat advanced security systems, she used "super drugs" of her own invention to boost her physical abilities to superhuman levels. She never set out to hurt anybody, but when jobs went south, she wasn't afraid knocking a few heads together to stay out of the clutches of the law. Naturally, her work often brought her into contact and conflict with superheroes, and she's won and lost fights with them more than once, but she never considered herself a supervillain - just someone outside the law trying to pay the rent. All of this superhuman good and evil drama is just not her thing.

Motivations: It turns out it's a lot easier to ignore the eternal battle between good and evil when someone is fighting it for you. With the heroes gone, the villains are running amok, and some of those guys are bad news. Nadia's no saint, but she's not evil, and it's getting harder and harder to just mind her own business while people are suffering around her. Someone's got to do something, and while she doesn't want to admit it, it looks like she's the only one who can.

Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2386965

Last edited by Snicker; Jan 29th, 2021 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Character sheet
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Artifact Creature - Myr

Tools
User Statistics
7 days left to get the applications in for anyone that is still a work in progress.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 10:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18061
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Updated. And please, any one feel free to copy, edit, and paste anything that needs changed/correcting on your character application. Just doing this for me own sanity.

Character Player Hero Type App Status
Caisson Drachenspirit Alternate form Flying Blaster w/ Minions Ready for Review
Adamant dbaque Giant Alien Robot w/ vehicle and Human forms Ready for Review
Gateway MrKinister Attack/Defend/Transport Portal Creator Ready for Review
Delirium Solid Snek Mental Powers/Hallucination Array Ready for Review
Blades Avner "British" Superhuman Regenerating Fighter construcing weapons from own body Ready for Review
Lady Luck Ysolde Luck and Nullify powers Ready for Review
Sorsiel DrowNinjaPrincess Elemental Mage Ready for Review
Final Girl Rinninian Psi-warrior Ready for Review
Turbo Draidden Speedster Ready for Review
Mr. Sardonic Yoshimi Angel powers, Enhanced STR and Toughness, Dazzle and Drain attacks WIP
Chernobog Acathala Divine Avatar of Deity, Ghost and Wraith like abilities WIP
Trenchcoat Grouchy Shadow Powers WIP
Elicpse Nightshade Alternate Form w/ Defenses and Telekinesis WIP
Nadia Noire Snicker Exceptional Cat Burglar w/ Boost to physical Abilities WIP
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Fourteen now. I knew they would all come out eventually, and that's not counting the fact that Avner has his own set of players for his own particular gaming/running style.

Awesome!

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
I'll be finalizing tomorrow. I thought it would happen tonight but work calls.

Even though it is a lot of competition it's nice to se so much interest.

Last edited by Nightshade; Jan 25th, 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 04:28 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Its always neat to see all the different ideas that come out during one of these apps and like Mr. K said the M&M community never disappoints. We still have just under a week to add to that too. I wouldn't be surprised if some sleeper apps showed up at the last minute.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
Its always neat to see all the different ideas that come out during one of these apps and like Mr. K said the M&M community never disappoints. We still have just under a week to add to that too. I wouldn't be surprised if some sleeper apps showed up at the last minute.
Especially considering that there is practically no overlap in concepts. Any other system, like 5e, and you'll have 3 rogues, 2 rangers, a few wizards, a few fighters, etc... and several of the characters are remarkably similar.

I love M&M.

~ Oscar Wilde
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 11:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5414
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to withdraw my application of Trenchcoat. I got accepted into other games and have reached my personal quota. Some absolutely amazing concepts here though, you will have a tough enough choice as it is. Best of luck to all!