twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24459
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Uncaged: Found Family

Game name
Uncaged Season 2: Found Family

A one-shot adventure from the Uncaged project.

Game systemD&D 5e
Themes & FlavorA society in decline; how can we belong? Flavors of Late Rome and North Africa.

Exploring issues of social status and power. Looking to include characters and players of many backgrounds and perspectives (which I hope includes a mix of experienced and newer players on the site).
The edge of 'civilization'
right-aligned image
The Five Cities sit at the edge of the known world - at least, the world that the Domantine Empire cares to know. "Know", of course, meaning "control" as far as they're concerned. In old Anykhet, the Five Cities held a position of power, a key trade link near the cataracts of the Iteru River. Centuries ago, they were a crossroads of culture. The cities flourished, a growing oasis at the edge of the desert.

Then the Empire came, and Anykhet became a colonial province. It remains a province, ruled by Domanites who view it as a sinecure far from their ideas of power. The Five Cites are the furthest end of the furthest end of that empire. The Domanites ran off the old Anykhhet Pharohs and their legates. They hardened borders, they put up dams. They took control of Anykhet, used its resources for their empire's ends, and let the people of Anykhet live, as long as they swore their loyalty oaths and paid their emperor's taxes.

Slowly, the Five Cities fell into ruin. The Cities are split not just by desert and oasis; not just by imperial borders; not just by who are the rulers and who are the ruled. They are split by generation. The old cling to power, as they always do. The young rebel, as the young do. But now, the youth are disappearing! The generations are being further rent apart.

left-aligned image
A father, Alexandros Dukas, pleas for help. His daughter Ismene may be the last hope of Synkel, the furthest outpost of the Five Cities. She is young, almost ready to leave her parent's house. If they lose her, who knows what is left for their city? How can the Cities survive when a whole generation is taken? Ismene can not be lost! Adventurers are called to ensure her safety.

Ismene and her family live in fallen splendor. The desert looms closer to Synkel every year. The aqueducts run dry. Greater acreage of crops fail each year. More of the cattle die. People perish, people leave. Old manors sprawl, dusty and empty, even as the poor can no longer afford to pay their taxes and remain in their hovels. The native-born Anykhets say that it is all The Curse, the words of demons spoken over the Five Cities as the Domanites swept in and ran the old rulers away, all those long centuries ago. The Curse will take away all the children.

Jackals patrol the outskirts of town, waiting for the next person to succumb to the call of the desert...
Rules for applicationFor your application, I ask you to give me the basics, plus two brief writing samples that show off your RP chops and give your character a stake in some adventure thematics. I expect to accept about 5 players. I do NOT expect to put much value on mechanical "balance" within the party, and I DO expect to haughtily turn my nose up if I catch whiffs of power-gaming mechanical builds. I do my best to stress narrative and post quality. With that said, I will allow players to build their characters by drawing from all Unearthed Arcana is not published. Campaign and setting books are not rulebooks.WotC published rulebooks. You should like your character!

The Basics: Fill in the following five bullets
  • Name:
  • Race
  • Gender identity:
  • Class: Characters are LEVEL 3, so most of you should have a subclass - I'd prefer that to be declared now, if you have an inclination. Multiclassing is allowed, but with only three levels to play with, I can't really advise it.
  • Appearance: images are encouraged, but not required. Paint a (brief) word picture!

Adventure Thematics: answer two questions
Heed this, my most CAPS-LOCKIEST of instructions: DO NOT GIVE ME YOUR CHARACTER'S "BACKSTORY". I don't want to see it, I don't want to read it. For real! Read those caps again, if you are still confused. Notice: I didn't say 'don't HAVE a backstory'. I just literally don't want to see it No, not even cleverly hidden under a spoiler tag.here in this application thread. Having a backstory, whether that means a few fleeting impressions in your head or a 15-page file on your computer, will be very useful when you give me what I ACTUALLY want in the other portion of your application:

RP samples: Below is a list of questions/prompts. Show me Two is all I need, seriously! No penalty for two and only two, and no bonus for more. But if you're anything like me, you might end up writing more, anyways, as you think about which is the "best one" for you to write. If that describes you, feel free to share more, but please post them in the order you'd like them considered.two of these scenes, in character. Let us hear your character's voice, and see who they really are: how do they react in novel and trying situations? Please feel free to interpret any aspect of these prompts in any way you'd like. They are meant to be springboards for creativity that relate to the flavor of the adventure. Length is not an important consideration. Understanding your character is.
  • One night you were in desperate need. You could not solve your problems alone. Help came from an unexpected corner, forging a lifelong bond.
  • It was a bad time in your life, and you were uncertain about how to live from one day to the next. It was like the world was aligned against you. You finally again felt safe and secure when you found a way to live according to your own rules or code.
  • A place, or people, that you loved fell into ruin. How did you respond? Could you solve the problem?
  • You know now that words and deeds are two different things. You learned this the hard way. What happened?
  • In your life, you learned that either (a) nature is cruel and indifferent to our plans, or (b) nature provides its bounty even in the most unlikely of situations. How did you learn this lesson?
Additional game detailsGame world context:
This game will occur in a milieu that is heavily influenced by "ancient" North Africa. This means the falling days of Ancient Rome / early Byzantium. The location is most directly analogous to Egypt, so most locals are from that culture. But North Africa was (and is) a dynamic crossroads of culture! Pre-Islamic Middle Eastern influences are in play (Sassanid Iran). The cultures of Nubia (ancient lower Egypt and upper Sudan) and Kush (roughly Ethiopia) were close at hand and heavily influential. Travelers from West Africa could be possible.

It is appreciated, but not required, if your character reflects this milieu, reflecting the naming conventions, religion, clothing style, skin tone, and so on, of one or more of these cultures (ie, Mediterranean, Egyptian, North African, Middle Eastern, and adjacent areas). I am not an expert in this cultural milieu, so this is more of a 'flavor' choice than something that will deeply influence the narrative or player selection. But playing along in this way will be a small point in your favor, relative to picking a name and a god more suited to the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk or Eberron.

This adventure is not on our Earth; we shall build the world together, to the extent required. The only world-building I have done is to call the Roman-influenced colonial power the "Domantine Empire", the Egyptian-influenced province in which the adventure takes place is "Anykhet", and the Five Cities, where the adventure begins, are in a location analogous to the first cataract of the Nile, a river called Iteru. You may feel free to create and expand on any world details beyond that.
Character creation:
As mentioned in various parts of the ad, please feel free to make non-normative class/In both the D&D and IRL senserace/gender/orientation/body type choices in character creation (but I have no requirements in this regard - the norm is indeed the norm!) All fantasy races are welcome in this context.

I do not require character sheets for now. When we do set mechanics in stone, ability scores will be determined by 27 point point-buy (so that the standard array is an option). You will have the basic starting equipment of your class, plus 200 gp more to spend as you please, plus one uncommon magic item (a list of which may be found here. Since this is a one-shot, you may get character rewards, but you will certainly not level up.

I plan on holding a "session zero" scene once the game is underway, where we will have a round of connection-building among the characters. You should be connected in some way to at least 2 of the other characters. You don't need to worry too much about that now, in the application phase. But you should be thinking about it - characters whose stories make them impossible to connect to others will not be good candidates for this game.
My preferred pace is a GM post every 4 or 5 days: faster than once a week, but twice a week may be pushing it. I ask players to be comfortable with that pace.

There is a That is, supposing I have a critical mass of applications at a reasonable stage of development. We can push this date back, if enough people would benefit from it.soft deadline for applications of Sunday Novermber 1st at 10pm EST.
An ongoing project
right-aligned image
As it says up top, I am drawing from an existing set of modules, the Uncaged project. Uncaged is a collaborative anthology of one-shot adventures designed around two big themes. First, they are directly inspired by the folklore and myths of our world, often being a 'twist' on a well-known story. Second, the project is very explicit in its feminist and LGBT-inclusive approach. It explores the power dynamics and political issues of today, through the lens of fantasy gaming.

I want to be clear about this for a few reasons:

1) If this approach is a concern to you (I'd encourage you to reconsider, but), fair enough. This campaign is probably not your cup of tea, and there are lots of other games on the site. I will not club players over the head with these themes as the game proceeds, but they will be a consistent part of the story and the "attitude" of the adventure.

2) It is a one-shot. This adventure could probably be run face-to-face in about 3 or 4 hours hours. That means there will be something like 4 or 5 scenes, and 1-3 combat encounters. Then boom, rewards granted, insights gained, lives enriched, game over. I expect this adventure to take about 9-12 months (but who knows? 6-15 months is probably a more-honest and less-helpful estimate). I make no promises for a long-running campaign. Quite the opposite; I promise this will end at a very definite point in the not-too-distant future.

This is "season 2" because I have recently completed my first Uncaged one-shot! It took about 13 months. If all goes well, when this adventure ends, I will write up a new ad and recruit again for season 3. Rinse and repeat for as long as time, interest, and ability allow. My hope is to make this a sort of mini-series. Each adventure is stand-alone; Season 1 and 2 have no connection outside being part of the Uncaged project. The characters, contexts and presumably players will be brand new. Each adventure/season simply shares the broad themes mentioned above: mythology, gendered power dynamics, and inclusiveness. I have no plans for running multiple parties at the same time.
Applications
Player Character Class Concept Status
bananabadger Aoshnar Mastermind Rogue Savy tribune of justice Complete
cottontailwind Altrix Dunyazad Lore Bard Wise governess from the mountains Complete
Digorig Elanil Zylbella Ranger (will fill in when I give app full read) Complete
Disciplulus Ziya Hexblade Warlock Swordsperson from afar Complete?
Elanir Haemon Celestial Warlock That old Roman insult for the Greeks Bearded physician Complete
Kepheren Omar Champion Fighter Seasoned gladiator with the fury of doubly-dominated lands Complete
Menzo Raemka Desert storm herald Barbarian Strong Arm of the Desert Complete
MoldyNolds Kyai Applecore Knowledge cleric Proud nomad, in search of truth Complete
Nightcheese Heliae Druid Foundling who walks between the lines Complete
Raada Hapy Long Death Monk optimistic outsider Complete
rhaiber Menefer of the Nine Lives Rogue tbd WIP
TheDarkStar tbd tbd tbd WIP
triedtherest Arcturus Severus Conquest Paladin Canny veteran legionary Complete
voodoozombie Kandake Amanirenas Artificer tbd WIP
Ysolde Amari Kanumba Moon Druid Fluid elf of the desert Complete
Q&AQ: This game looks cool.
A: C'mon now you're embarrassing me! Also that's not a question. Flattery belongs in individual bold posts that will notify everyone, not buried at the bottom of a tedious ad post.

Q: If this is 'real world' inspired, does that mean it's low magic?
A: No, we can assume the regular quantity of D&D magic (which is to say: quite a lot!). People take demons as a thing that exist and sometimes bother people. Mages and clerics hang about town. Magic is literally wonderful, but it's a standard part of the world.

Q: How is this game going to break down in terms of the pilars of D&D; exploration, combat, social, etc?
A: I'd expect something like 70% social encounters, 10% explore/survival, 10% fight, and 10% who knows? Fighting and exploration could go up or down, depending on player inclinations. It is possible to have zero fights, with the 'right' set of choices. Good RP is an essential part of all of those components, regardless.

Q:Are you willing to accept newbies to the system or site?
A:Absolutely! I honestly expect a fairly mechanics-lite play-through, so learning as we go should not be a major obstacle.

Q:Should we choose „historical“ gods or rather create our own based upon said deities?
A: I do not require 'historical' gods, but I do prefer them. I can imagine a story (for example) where you're part of some mystery cult who worships a god of your own design. That's more than fine! I'd mostly just like to avoid injecting Pelor or Vecna or whoever else comes in a pre-fab D&D world.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Oct 31st, 2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1967
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Arcturus Severus - WIP

Name: Arcturus Severus
Race: Domanite (Human Variant)
Gender identity: Male
Class: Paladin (Oath of Conquest)
Appearance: At 6'2" and powerfully built, he towers over most people. Add to the fact that he seems to be almost constantly scowling, he cuts for a rather intimidating individual. He keeps both facial and head hair as short as he can manage, for practicality purposes.

Last edited by triedtherest; Oct 13th, 2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 04:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7127
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Hiya Wyn! Been a long time.
This game looks cool.

Last edited by lydklein; Oct 11th, 2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 04:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6262
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer

Last edited by Lazer; Oct 27th, 2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 11:59 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Thanks for the initial apps, Lazer and triedtherest! I look forward to seeing what comes of them.

And hullo again Lyd! It’s been a while indeed. I hope inspiration and availability strike!
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 12:50 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4456
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Application Complete!
Character Application
left-aligned image
Name: Honorific for a teacher. Strictly used for males only, who are usually older and venerated.Kyai Real name unknown to others.Applecore

Race: Based on the Bedouin nomads of our worldDulamah (Goliath)

Gender Identity: She/Her

Class: Knowledge Cleric

Appearance (The image is linked with credit to the artist): Applecore is quite young for a Kyai, though well into middle age. At nearly two meters she is a tall woman with excellent posture. She carries more fat than muscle, though that is not to say she isn't powerful. Her deeply bronzed skin has been heavily freckled by a lifetime spent in the blazing desert sun. Long auburn locks flow freely down her back, just barely held in check by a bright blue keffiyeh that she normally ties around the back of her head, leaving her head and face uncovered.

Her green dress is plainly cut and free-flowing, though the bare shoulders leave more skin exposed than might be considered "appropriate". A stylized owl is embroidered onto the dress's right hip, signifying Applecore's adherence to one of the secondary Anykhet goddesses Masiddica; protector of women. A number of golden adornments contrast against her skin including piercings in her ears, nose, and bottom lip. She also wears an upper arm bracelet in the shape of a coiled snake.

Her resting face is usually stern with half-lidded eyes and slightly pouting lips in anticipation of the less-desirable side of people's personalities, both her students and her peers. That is not to say she can't soften up and relax, quite the contrary, though her smiles, laughter, and light-heartedness are usually reserved for the company of those she trusts.

RP Samples:
One night you were in need... Help came from an unexpected corner...

Words and deeds are two different things...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9443f5ef6ed6691c3d0fe38de5e3974f.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	87387  

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Oct 25th, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 01:50 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
justsujoy
Hi,

Amazing concept and possibly better writing - I'm blown away. Just wanted to clarify a few things:-

1. This is an average DnD magic world right or low magic?

2. Can you share a bit more about the expected flavor of the game. Something like 20% role-play, 20% fighting, 20% Survival, 20% Intrigue, 20% shopping etc. I enjoy role-playing the most but I'd like my character to survive long enough to do it.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 02:32 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsujoy View Post
1. This is an average DnD magic world right or low magic?
"Regular" D&D is about right. The game ad alludes to demons, and a typical person wouldn't think "oh demons, that's an allegory for the whims of fate", they'd think "man demons are dicks and I guess there were some hanging around here a few centuries ago?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsujoy View Post
2. Can you share a bit more about the expected flavor of the game. Something like 20% role-play, 20% fighting, 20% Survival, 20% Intrigue, 20% shopping etc. I enjoy role-playing the most but I'd like my character to survive long enough to do it.
I have a hard time separating RP from the other stuff. Good fights should have good RP! But I understand what you mean. I'd expect something like 70% social encounters, 10% explore/survival, 10% fight, and 10% who knows? Fighting and exploration could go up or down, depending on player inclinations. It is possible to have zero fights, with the 'right' set of choices.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 02:58 PM
a bit like you and me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3831
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Application Status
  • Application complete!
Character Application
left-aligned image
Name: Altrix: a Domantine house servant of low station dedicated to tending, teaching, and overall raising the children of a wealthy family. Reports to the housekeeper or majordomo, but never the Domina or Dominus. Effectively, a nanny and governess. Altrix Dunyazad

Race: Half-orc tribes of the Anykhet mountains, descended from generations of half-orcs. Literally translates to "peoples of the mud-home." Have an earth affinity and, in addition to traditional half-orc presentations, sometimes manifest earth genasi presentations, such as stony ridges protruding from their bones, rocky fissures in their skin that emanate faint light, or dust unsettling from them when they move. Leutakimah (Half-Orc)

Gender Identity: Female; She/Her

Class: Bard, College of Lore

Appearance: Her already short stature seemed even shorter from her hunch - craned forward from a lifetime of picking up children that were not her own. Old Dunyazad wore her years plainly, in the folds around her eyes and cheeks and knuckles. One sunspot for every story she'd come to carry, she'd say. And there were so many.

Inside the domūs and villas, the standard was to keep one's hair in a tight bun, suspended with wooden hairpins. The uniform only changed slightly between families and generations, but it was usually some flowing robe with a long, embroidered apron. More as a badge than for any utility. Jowls stoic and unmoving around the other servants, of course. Especially around the Domina. And when reporting and deferring to the housekeeper, she kept her gravelly voice down to only the gentlest of whispers, no more than dust settling. To be seen was to be trouble.

When she was traversing the open city streets, whether on an errand or slipping away to exchange news with some distant, native-born kin, Old Dunyazad leaned on a gnarled cane to keep a steady pace. Her eyelids hung low, barely moving when she'd wrinkle her brow and tut, as was her response to so many things anymore. Swaddled in the layered wraps of her cowl - another must for all good Domantine house servants venturing outside - the altrix might even appear as any common dwarf. Maybe at a quick glance, anyways. A sarab, her people would have teased her. Able to pass. None of the traditional protruding incisor underbite. No gemtone sheen to her eyes, which had instead begun to develop a mild haze. Her only real mark as a child of the Leutakimah - the half-orc tribes of the Anykhet mountains - was that small areas of sand-colored skin would appear to sometimes shift and settle along the surface, almost granular. But surely, it must have been a trick of the light. This was just a common dwarf, an Anykhet local, a hunched elderly maid running some nothing errand, after all, no?

Most wouldn't know it, but Dunyazad loved to smile. Sometimes at the most simple things, though she didn't always have the opportunity. Her jowls would pull back and crease a thousand and one times on either side.

Roleplay Sample 1: You know now that words and deeds are two different things. You learned this the hard way. What happened?

Roleplay Sample 2: One night you were in desperate need. You could not solve your problems alone. Help came from an unexpected corner, forging a lifelong bond.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProfilePlaceholder.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	87388  

Last edited by cottontailwind; Oct 28th, 2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 03:53 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
Omar

Name: Omar

Race: Human
Gender Identity: He/Him

Class: Fighter (Champion)

Appearance: Omar is a young man of about thirty years who is in prime physical condition. Despite his youth his face appears haunted and time worn from traumas that an observer can only guess at. For a young man he has a lot of hard earned wisdom and experience that make him seem an old and tired soul. He moves with a predatory grace and is covered in many scars earned in the gladiatorial arena and inflicted upon him by sadistic masters. Of late, since moving to Synkel, he has adopted the style of dress from his Nubian ancestors. This includes a loincloth, kilt and sandals as well as bone and bead jewelry.

RP Sample 1: One night you were in desperate need. You could not solve your problems alone. Help came from an unexpected corner, forging a lifelong bond.

He could only watch in helpless silence as his own blood pooled on the street with that of his enemies. Omar spared a glance for the two Domanite soldiers he had ambushed and killed. He had been fierce in his attack and had cut them down but not before one had managed to slip a dagger between his ribs. Ah, the folly of youth; to win his personal battle but lose the war in a moment of reckless rage. He would die on this lonely street corner in the middle of the night, and for what? Revenge now seemed a rather bittersweet reward.

The Anykhet had put his own people under their thumb only to be in turn conquered by the Domanites. And they too would be brought down one day no doubt. Only now did he understand that all the works of men died one day just as surely as the men themselves did. As he bled out now, too weak to help himself, it seemed only proper that such things would finally make sense to him.

How long he lay there Omar was not sure. The world was growing more dim around him and his senses were swimming in alarming ways but he became aware of voices. For a moment he assumed it was the friends of the soldiers he had killed. Surely they would just finish him off. But no, he felt gentle hands and heard kind words. No friends of the Domanites then? With a last feeble bit of hope he tried to identify his rescuers but only managed to make out one face in the crowd.

She was a priestess he thought, though being far from certain. Her voice was kind and it was her gentle touch that soothed his pain and staunched the flow of blood. Omar tried to speak but he didn't have the strength and consciousness was fading fast. He didn't know who his savior was or what role she would play in his life going forward...though he now realized that there would be a life going forward...and he would owe it all to her. It was with that comforting thought that he slipped quietly into the darkness.

Omar was not sure how long consciousness eluded him. He was dimly aware, from time to time, of events around him. The passage of time, riding in the back of a wagon and then finally of laying on a comfortable bed as people tended his wounds. All of this was observed in bits and pieces as though it was from far away and happening to another man. Finally, how much later he didn't know, he found the strength to open his eyes. The room he found himself in was not large or richly appointed but it was comfortable. Sitting at his bedside was a young woman. It took a moment for him to focus but he quickly realized she was the face he saw in the crowd of his rescuers. Seeing him now awake she smiled.

"Ah good, your awake,"she said in a gentle tone. "Welcome to the temple of Bastet in Synkel. I am Sanura, Priestess to the Goddess and your hostess."

"Thank you," he said in a weak, confused tone. Then, after a second of thought he added:"You saved my life."

She studied him for a long moment but the smile didn't waver. Omar felt that she could see into his soul in that moment. It was an odd feeling but strangely he didn't find it a bad one. He felt comfortable and safe with this woman. Finally she spoke again.

"I took it from what we saw upon finding you that the Domanites had persecuted you. The clergy has ways of seeing what is in a man's heart and I could tell you weren't evil. Angry and afraid perhaps but not evil. Please don't prove me wrong in that assessment. Anyway, we were setting out on the long journey to bring me to Synkel so I could minister to the people here. You are now far from where you were. No one here will know your face. If your willing to live as an honest man and not cause trouble you should be able to without any difficulty."

It took a few moments for that to sink in. Omar could scarcely believe his good fortune...or that a Priestess would go to such effort for him. Most of his life he had only known violence and hardship. Now it had taken a stranger to show him there was still some kind hearted people in the world.

"I will not prove you wrong. And a trouble free life? I don't know how that would even be possible....but I will try."

Omar's voice failed him. He was still so terribly weak and Sanura had the right of it; he was scared. Scared of being dragged back into the violent, pointless life he had escaped from. All of his talents involved taking the lives of others but there and then he vowed to only fight for what he believed in, not for the amusement of others. All of this thinking though was quite wearying given his current state. The darkness threatened to engulf him again at any moment. Sanura could see this and stood to leave him to his rest.

"You should rest. I will be by to check on you later and see to your care. We will talk more then."

She smiled again and the sight of it warmed his heart. Gentle fingers caressed his face in parting and Omar felt more stir within him than gratitude. She had an inner light and he had been moved by her kindly nature. His life had been changed and had new purpose. For the first time in a very long while Omar felt as though he had come home.

RP Sample 2: You know now that words and deeds are two different things. You learned this the hard way. What happened?

His eyes grew wide at the spectacle before him. Abubakar had been his friend and mentor. He had taken Omar under his wing here in the gladiatorial stables. Most important of all he had taught the younger man much of what he had needed to survive here. And now, after all of that Omar realized how badly he had failed his friend.

It had been a simple plan. The gladiators wanted out. Slavery did not suit them and they had the skills to fight for their freedom. All they had needed was a chance and Abubakar had found it for them. One of the guards was a hopeless drunk and was often well into his cups by late night hours. One of his fellow gladiators had been something of a sneak thief in life before being sent to the pits. He would use his skill to get out of his own cell and to the weapons room past the drunken guard. There he would steal the keys so they could arm themselves and help free the others. The elder gladiator had planned it all out for them. All Omar and the others had to do was be ready for the call and to come join the fight.

The appointed night arrived and Omar couldn't sleep. He was young still, barely old enough to shave, and scared out of his mind. Life as a gladiator in training was hard and filled with danger. But rebelling against Domanite troops? That would be real and more immediate peril...more than he had ever faced in his young life. His knees were knocking as he waited alone in his cell and time seemed to creep along ever so slowly.

Eventually he heard quiet steps approach and heard the lock on his door being undone. Their thief whispered in to him.

"Be ready. When you hear the signal meet at the weapons locker."

As Abubakar had planned it would draw too much attention if everyone were out of their cells all at once. Only a few of the older, more highly skilled gladiators would meet the thief at the locker to arm themselves and then create enough of a diversion for the others to come arm themselves as well. Then it was reasoned they would be at least thirty or forty of them. Easily enough to overwhelm the remainder of the guards and force their way out into the city proper. What then? No one was sure. Probably go their separate ways and try to blend into the city and make their individual escapes. It was not much of a plan Omar thought but most of the older men thought that any chance at all beat the certainty of dying in here for the amusement of others.

Time seemed to slow even more then as Omar listened. Finally he heard the signal, a shrill whistle, and the moment of decision was upon him. Omar didn't move. He had promised the others hadn't he? He owed it to them to fight as they were going to fight for their freedom. But despite this fear and uncertainty kept him rooted in place. After a few moments the sounds of fighting reached his ears and it made him cower all the more. They had been set upon early? Omar didn't know and for the moment he was paralyzed with fear. Though he knew he would regret it for the rest of his life he didn't act when the others needed him the most.

Which brought his mind back to the sight now in front of him in the present moment. Abubakar and the sneak thief and some few others who were taken alive were being whipped to death for their attempted escape as the others were forced to watch. In the end only twelve men had found the courage to fight for their freedom. Would it have made any difference if Omar had found his courage in that moment? Probably not he realized but that didn't diminish his guilt in the least as he watched his friend being lashed to death. It seemed to go on forever and was an awful sight for a fourteen year old to have witnessed. The pain of the sight of it though paled to the pain in his heart and the guilt he knew would never fade away.

I have never played in 5E. My last D&D experience was 3.5 but I have played a lot of Pathfinder and other games. If your willing to have a newbie to the system I'll try to learn all the things that have changed since I last played and contribute to the story.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Oct 15th, 2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: fieldsetted with permission
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 03:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
How could I ever resist such a game based on the antique world, Wynamoinen? I guess, you could say this is my Achilles‘ heel! (I know, wrong era, but still...)

A question about the gods: Should we choose „historical“ gods or rather create our own based upon said deities?

Thank you in advance! I will start with character creation today... A warlock, perhaps?

Last edited by Elanir; Oct 12th, 2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 04:00 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
I do not require 'historical' gods, but I do prefer them. I can imagine a story (for example) where you're part of some mystery cult who worships a god of your own design. That's more than fine! I'd mostly just like to avoid injecting Pelor or Vecna or whoever else comes in a pre-fab D&D world.

Edit for all:I'll add a Q&A section to my first post, centralizing my answers, and I'll update the table of applicants. It may take me a day or so until I get to it.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Oct 12th, 2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 04:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1967
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
So someone who worships Phobos, God of Fear and son of Mars, should be ok?
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, absolutely.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
I was thinking more like Bastet for the Egyptian vibe.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Closed Thread