WorldOfDarkness And the Devil Dances Beneath a Mosaic Sky - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 08:31 AM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2368
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
And the Devil Dances Beneath a Mosaic Sky

And the Devil Dances Beneath a Mosaic Sky

APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED!

Deadline has been met.

PlayerCharacterKithCourtStatus
Nikolas Barbed Rose Sluagh Seelie Completed
TheLawfulNeutralRobin RedcapRedcapUnseelieCompleted
KephrenOisinTrollSeelieCompleted
LazerPapa MungoClurichaunSeelieCompleted
hafrogmanWatcher Upon the WaterSelkieSeelieCompleted

SystemClassic World of Darkness. Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary/Second Edition.

Theme
Urban-fantasy in the 1990’s. Political intrigue. Assassins. Solving mysteries. Fancy parties. Character exploration. Light combat, heavy roleplay. And faerie shenanigans.

FlavourSouthern Fried Faerie

Pitch
Political intrigue thrust into the heart of New Orleans' faerie court. Expose an assassin before blood spills at Count Vauquelin’s masquerade. Don your best wardrobe and flaunt your favorite mask as you search for the truth in a twisting web of lies during a night full of intrigue, deception, and cake.

The Setting & The Hook
right-aligned image
Welcome to New Orleans, the city that care forgot, and home to all manner of spirited characters, some of which are far from human and far from alive. It's a city that houses more than 500,000 people within its lively walls, with more than a million spread out across the Mississippi-Missouri river system, living along the Crescent City’s edge or deep within alligator-infested swamps. It is the birthplace of jazz and the only place where you can get the be-all and end-all experience when it comes to Creole cuisine, unless, of course, you have a penchant for Cajun, in which case, there is plenty of crawfish étouffée to try.

From the French Quarter’s old world Spanish-French architecture to Bourbon Street’s high-swinging nightclubs, New Orleans is a blend of old traditions and new. Of the supernatural and the natural. Of the dreaming and the awake. Many people think they know New Orleans-- the good, the bad, and the ugly-- but they don’t know half as much as you do about the city.

They don’t know that the Garden District with its handsome manors and leafy canopies is where all the satyrs and sidhe flock for a night of fun and splendor. They don’t know that Audubon Park and the Zoo and the many animals that wander through its lush greenery may be a Pooka in disguise, waiting for the right moment to prank an unsuspecting tourist. They don’t know that kings and knights, monsters and nightmares walk beside them every day, every night. That in an instant their dreams could be crushed beneath the weight of mortal Banality.

But you do.

Because you are a changeling. A faerie incarnated into a human body. And the veil between the Autumn World and the Dreaming has long since been parted for you. You know magic is real. That vampires, werewolves, and mages lurk within the city’s walls just as much as ancient dragons do. That imagination and the dreams of artists, poets, those whose souls are drawn to create and inspire are why you exist at all today.

You are a changeling, and you call New Orleans home. The tale we are about to weave is yours, and like all good stories, it could be bad, or it could be wonderful, but it is uniquely yours. So, let’s find out how your tale begins...

-----

left-aligned image
The invitation arrived in a velvet envelope stamped with a red seal in the shape of an extravagant V. You have never received a letter so fine before. Perfumes rich with an ambrosial scent that reminds you of sweet summer days and crisp apple cider waft off its finely pressed paper which crinkles just right beneath your fingertips as you unfold it. You don’t know who sent you the letter. It arrived long after you fell asleep in the comforts of your bed or perhaps snuck its way into your pocket when you thought you were alone. No matter how it found its way to you, you know that it was written by someone like you.

Someone who walked the path between Dreaming and reality, someone who saw magic where others didn’t, someone who lived not one life but two.

Someone that was a changeling, just like you.

You are surprised to find out the writer was a sidhe noble called Count Vauquelin and that he’s invited you of all people to attend his masquerade ball in the coming week. You have heard stories about his Midnight Mass and the miraculous sights seen in his Freehold, where Glamour flows as freely as wine is poured from a pitcher. Only the most notable figures in the local faerie court were invited. Commoners who earned their place at his table due to their grandiose deeds-- slayers of dragons, saviors of princesses, legends without equal-- while the nobles were nothing short of divinity, their lineage so pure and so rich they may as well have been made of gold.

You are none of these things. Mind you, you may have earned yourself a title within the court, made a friend or two whose named carried more weight than a well-honed blade, or adventured more times than you can count into the Far Dreaming, but for whatever reason, you were never good enough to earn an invitation from Count Vauquelin.

Until now.

And the truth of the matter is that you are not coming as a guest. No, as Count Vauquelin eloquently noted, he is in desperate need of your services. Someone has threatened to end his life on the night of his Midnight Mass. He needs you to discover the devil that hides behind velvet smiles and silken dresses before blood is drawn in his sacred home. Don your best mask and play the part of a detective as you unravel the ugly truths and the beautiful lies that are steeped deep in New Orleans’ faerie court.
Succeed and you will know riches beyond your imagination, but beware the shadows that creep closer as the night grows long, as the devil dances beneath a mosaic sky.

ApplicationHuman Name: The name you put on your (non-magical) tax forms. It's probably Steve.
True Name: The name you heard whispered from a distant dream. It calls to you, and you to it.
Alias: The name(s) you share with those you do not trust. Be it shady fae or telemarketers.
Kith: The fae were born from the ancient dreams of mortals, and dreams take many forms. What form did you take? Choose one from the following: Boggans, Clurichaun, Eshu, Nockers, Piskies, Pooka, Redcaps, Satyrs, Selkies, Arcadian Sidhe, Autumn Sidhe, Sluagh, or Trolls.
Seeming: How do you view the world around you, and how do you interact with Glamour and the Dreaming? Pick one Seeming from the following: Childing, Wilder, or Grump.
Legacies: All changelings have both a Seelie and Unseelie legacy but only one is your primary legacy and the other your secondary legacy. Choose a legacy from both courts that fits your fae nature best. Keep in mind that whatever primary you choose is the court you’ll be from. Ex. Bumpkin (Primary Seelie)/ Pandora (Secondary Unseelie)
Occupation: Do you own a taco stand? Do you want to? Put that here.
Age: Are you old enough to watch a PG-13 movie? Drink? Vote? Rent a car? Put that number here.
Gender: Male, female, non-binary, etc. Pronouns go here, too.

Physical Appearance: Describe what your faerie form (also called a fae mien) looks like. You can include everything from their physical description to their wardrobe choice to how they carry themselves. You do not have to include their human appearance unless you simply can’t resist writing it. Images may be included but I expect a written description regardless.

Background: Two worlds, one life. A changeling lives both as a human and a fae. Living a normal mortal life right up to the moment where their fae soul awakens and all the magic that was hidden from them in the Autumn World is revealed in a single-defining moment known as the Dream Dance. One half cannot exist without the other in a world steeped in Banality, so what I want to know about your character’s background is who they are-- both as a human and a fae-- and how they live day-to-day, sprinkled with whatever you feel is necessary to know or just sounds totally cool.

Here are some questions to get your creative juices going! Do they have a mortal family? What do they do for a living? How long have they been awakened? Have they sworn fealty to a noble house? Do they seek to right a wrong that was done unto them? Was their mentor horribly slain by a mysterious villain? Were they murdered in a past life? Do they have an unrequited love? What do they desire? Fame? Fortune? Power? And what’s their opinion on jazz?

RP Sample: Show me your skills by writing a scene with your character that captures their personality! Are you a Pooka that loves to prank? A Nocker that loves to nitpick? A Redcap that loves to fight? A virtuous Troll that fights for honor and fame? Then prove it, baby!

The Mask: Everyone knows you must wear a mask to a masquerade ball! What mask are you going to wear? You can describe it or use an image. Please note that Count Vauquelin has made it very clear in his invitation that he plans to don an exquisite wolf mask for the event and has “encouraged” his guests to choose something else to wear for the night.

About the GM
The name is Strangemund, but my pals call me Strange or Mundie! You can call me whichever you like! Unless you are Unko Talok in which case you use my super secret mystery name that only the best super sleuths know.

I have been playing tabletop roleplaying games for over a decade now, both live sessions and PbP, and currently game every Sunday with a very nutty, very fun crew. I’ve seen both sides of the GM screen, but most of my GM experience comes from running Numenera and the occasional 3.5. Eberron game. This will be the first time I have run a World of Darkness game despite having played everything from classic Vampire: The Masquerade to a homebrew Promethean: The Created. It’s a new experience I am more than excited to share with you guys!

As a GM, I value roleplaying over rules. Games that are driven by character choices, player creativity, and collaborative story-telling are more enjoyable to me than number crunching, constant combat, or maxing out stats. World of Darkness in particular is very much a story-telling system. It encourages players to interact and grow with the world around them and expects you to step out of your comfort zone and think about what you’ll do next. It goes without saying that I expect the same. I want your characters to make enemies and form friendships, grow and fail together, choose paths I wouldn’t think of, and maybe even open a taco stand.

Some general facts to know about me. I am visually-disabled, so please don’t use small, intricate or colored font while writing with me. I will forever appreciate it because otherwise it is more work for me as I try to find a way to make it more readable. I live with my partner who I have shared my life with for a wonderful fourteen years and plan to spend the rest of forever with because they are just that rad. Obviously, gaming is secondary to spending time with them, so I am absent on weekends and during holidays. Mind you, I will let you know when that happens. I also have a cat named Kaiju who eats everything and screams like a gremlin. Sometimes I will talk about him. I apologize in advance.

Additional Information
  • I’m looking for 3-4 players. Woo me with your sexy apps. Woo me.
  • Any level of experience with the World of Darkness system is perfectly A-okay with me. I am more than happy to walk people through the mechanics and the setting so don’t be afraid to apply if you’ve never played a World of Darkness game before, let alone Changeling: The Dreaming.
  • Posting rate will be 1-2 posts per week at the minimum. I am pretty flexible so if your schedule causes you to alter your posting rate in the future then talk to me and we’ll arrange something more manageable.
  • Posting length is about quality, baby. Good grammar. Solid descriptions. But most important of all-- give us fellow writers something to work with! If you can nail all three with a single paragraph, you are aces with me!
  • Write in third-person, please! To be frank, it's just easier for me when I am reading multiple posts from different people. I have no personal beef with first-person or second, and clearly, there are very talented writers who do it better than I, but for ease, this ruling exists. Sorry!
  • You do not have to have a character sheet ready at the start. This is mostly in place in case we have folks unfamiliar with Changeling: The Dreaming joining the game. It’ll be a much smoother process to workshop the mechanical side of the system together as a group then to handle it separately at application.
  • No children characters. I have nothing against youngsters; I just don’t think rosy-cheeked babies are a good fit for this particular story. Them’s the breaks.
  • Accepted materials are Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition or Changeling: The Dreaming Second Edition. I plan to utilize mostly the 20th Anniversary edition because it’s got a lot more meat in its pages than its second edition counterpart. It also contains a lot of information that was originally sourced from Changeling: The Dreaming’s companion books. I highly recommend it if you plan on purchasing a PDF.
  • Communication is key. Every great game requires great communication. It's a crucial part of working together to create an experience that’s enjoyable for everyone. Talk to me. Talk to each other. And never be afraid to open up if you are struggling with a scene or you find yourself not enjoying your character as much as you thought you would. We’ll devise a solution together!
  • Ask me anything! Really! I love questions and I have zero problem answering them!
  • Have fun. Or else. I am kidding! If at any moment you are no longer having fun with the game, it is okay to leave. I will not begrudge or guilt you for that decision. You know you better than anyone else so do what feels right for you. All I ask is that you give me a head’s up before you go running off into the sunset, screaming, “I’m free!”

An important note.

World of Darkness is a dark, gritty setting full of mature themes and content not suitable for everyone. That said I will write only what I am comfortable with and what aligns with the site’s PG-13 rating. Do not expect heavily graphic scenes of extreme violence, torture, sexual violence/abuse, child murder/abuse, racism, sexism, homophobia, and whatever else Hollywood thinks is edgy and cool. I am not interested.

Feel free to inform me of any content that is triggering to you and we will work around it.

Characters: Thunder in the Morning

Last edited by Strangemund; Oct 30th, 2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 08:33 AM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Changeling: The Dreaming's Terminology for Beginners!

Frequently Asked Questions!

Last edited by Strangemund; Oct 30th, 2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
You had me at Southern fried Faerie. Expect a proper application when I can get home and work from my own pc. Thanks for running this as I do love me some WoD.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:20 AM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
It is a delicacy. Just watch your cholesterol intake. Some of them changelings are a little hard on the heart!

And yaaayy! I am very excited to see what you'll make, Kepheren!! I'll admit, I did see in a thread somewhere you were weak for WoD, so I was hoping I'd catch your eye when I dropped my ad. Let me know if you have any questions!

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 01:21 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5508
TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral
I'll bite, lets see if I can get something submitted!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 01:22 PM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 589
Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas
Human Name: Alice Allen
True Name: Barbed Rose
Alias: Barbara Washstock/The Locked Room Lady
Kith: Sluagh
Seeming: Wilder
Legacies: Comrade/Fatalist
Occupation: I offer freelance tours of cemeteries around the city.

Physical Appearance: I am told, that at first glance I look much like a ghost from a child's drawing. A sheet kind of draped over a figure and moving in slow, wistful actions. There is of course more detail to me if you should care to observe. I am totally bald, which is just fine, I won't have to clean sewage from my hair. My eyes are deep sockets, home to a searing white light that floats inside my skull. My limbs are long and boney, but leave a trail of gauze in their wake. I've been told I smell nice, which is unsettling to hear.

Background: Every day for the last ten years, I wandered the city's cemeteries. I carry a bullhorn, that allows my soft voice to carry to the back of the group following me. They pay me to do this, but I would likely do it for free. I have done it for free. The architecture of New Orleans might be impressive, but it has nothing on what the residents built for what they see as their final homes. Beautiful mausoleums and memorials fill the world around me, and they all have a story. Even if the resident isn't famous or well known, they have a story. I've always hated that other tours focus only on the famous sights and names, I always try to include one regular soul in my tour. I tell the tourists that I've done my research, and I guess I have, but almost as likely I spoke directly to the soul itself. When I'm not shilling the city's resting places to tourist, I'm pretending to tell their future. I'm sure there's a way to do it for real, but I can't do it. I use my tours and fortune telling to give me the real food I need, I mean, it gives me cash to purchase Oreos, and gas station burgers, but I use this to funnel their imaginations into my fae self. I have a strong connection to the dead energies of the city, and I worry that one day the restless will ask me to help them solve a centuries old puzzle what will let them attain their final reward. Too much pressure!

I've been doing these tours for a decade, but I only became aware of the dreaming 4 years ago. I awakened one night as I sat alone in a cemetery, and I realized I just felt right all of a sudden. I don't think I can speak with the dead, if I'm being honest, but bare minimum, I hear their dreams. Maybe that is enough to keep me living.

My mother hates these tours, she's begged me numerous times, just to find a rich tourist and trick him into a shotgun marriage. I remind her often that I don't have a father for that reason. She usually laughs at that, and I return to my shitty apartment. I live for the friends I have made while doing my tours, sometimes someone will stand out to me, and we will hang out well after the tour has ended, I maintain correspondence with over 100 such individuals now. Despite the distance between us, I would likely drop everything to go to help them.

RP Sample: *Clang* *Crash* I knock a room service tray over, and send the food crashing into an ice machine that loudly clacks since frequent-ish interactions like this have damaged its fans. I fix an icy and blinding stare on the poor man at the end of the hall, he freezes in silence, forgetting to breathe as I slowly and methodically approach him. "You've made a fatal mistake Henry! You should have not returned to this place!" I roar at him and slap a door in passing for an emphasizing bang. He regains some of his composure. "W-who is Henry?" He begs. "I'm on a holiday with my wife and kids!" He throws as his defense in a whiny British accent.

He screws his eyes tight and then notices the light is gone, opening them once more, the ghastly woman accosting him is gone. He gathers himself and makes his shaking way back to his room.

I let loose a raspy chuckle from my hiding place, there is a vent that I can squeeze into at this part in all the hallways of this hotel. I wheeze and hiss my way through the vents into the sewer, my body crawling out of order, and in no particular order. At once my feet are leading the charge, then one of my arms will gain on them. Once in the sewer, I light a cigarette, and immediately drop it into the water to let it go out. I take a moment to soak in the glamour that man just gave me, he definitely believes in ghosts now. New Orleans is 100% haunted but not every building has a ghost to drive the graveyard tour's demand so high. That's why in this Best Western Suites, I am known as the Locked Room Lady. I stayed here a few times as a guest, just to stay on point with the rumors concerning their ghost. I'd hate to disappoint by not living up to my legend. I cackle once more and then return to my shitty apartment.

Alice sits in the newly reconstructed lobby of the chain hotel she calls home in various capacities. She is visibly tired, her waist length blonde hair is impossibly disheveled. Nearby a child is loudly protesting his mother's refusal to insist on one of "The Lady's Rooms". A term used to refer to the dozen or thereabout rooms the the Locked Door Lady is said to have met some tragic fate. Alice pulls her shades close to her face and approaches the pairing and whispers, "I have a reservation on room 314. They say a paranormal team for one of those TV shows was in there just last week. Would you like to trade? I will need my sleep tonight, busy night last night." She was being honest, she was tired, having stayed up 'haunting' that very room last night. She was wholly tired of seeing the stupid wall art in that room, and would gladly trade if it meant a different mass produced painting on her wall that night.

The mother accepted her offer, and Alice slinked to the counter behind her. Upon seeing the clock, Alice exclaimed ""Oh Sugar!" For she rarely curses in front of children, "I will be late, have the room on me!" her shouts being a volume equivalent to the air conditioner's hum in the lobby. Turning to flee the building, she whips her wig off of her head and stuffs it into the ratty red duffle bag she barely forgets to grab. Her recent activities made her forget that the grans soiree was soon to take place, and it would not do to be late to a noble's invitation.

The Mask: I'm wearing a tattered sheet, reminiscent of Charlie Brown. Who is even going to notice me with all the fame wandering the halls?

Last edited by Nikolas; Oct 21st, 2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 01:34 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5508
TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral
Human Name: Gethin Couch

True Name: Robin Redcap

Alias: The French Quarter Strangler

Kith: Red Cap

Seeming: Grump

Legacy: Brute/Hermit

Appearance: Gethin Couch is a small, stout man in a study of grays. His head is a craggy pock-marked map of an aged man who has done little to take care of himself over the years. Sunken burned-coal gray eyes under a sea of crows feet and a thick salt-and-pepper mono-brow. A great twisted, black-head covered lump of a nose takes up the vast majority of his face, ending in warty hook. Lips like a thin slash, almost hidden by a thick and disturbingly crusty silvered mustache, that is until he opens his disturbingly huge mouth to reveal flat yellowed teeth filled in iron filings. A few wisps of gray hair escape from under his bright red newsboy cap, what's left over from his male pattern baldness apart from his ragged tonsure. His long, knobbly arms end in two cartoonishly large hands, made primarily out of calluses and nicotine stains, and barely contained by frayed fingerless gloves. Gethin's clothing of choice is a mishmash of purchases from good will usually under a thick old coat regardless of the weather. Other than his hat, the only piece of his attire that is well taken care of are his thick black boots, steel toed and iron soled.

Robin Redcap is everything Gethin is but pushed into the realm of caricature. His bitten nails extend into terrible claws, teeth become a bear trap, hat drips with fresh blood.

Personality: The Red Cap sit firmly within the realm of the Unseelie, being among the most horrid of the fae to originate out of the nightmares of Welsh and Cornish borderlands. Like many of his fellows Gethin is a bloodthirsty (literally) brute who cares for little else beyond his satisfaction, especially in keeping his namesake red cap dipped in fresh blood. His kind have never been known for their hospitality or for getting along well with any creature (even other Red Caps), however the years have strained this dark race, their ancestral haunts becoming fewer and their numbers decimated by banality. As such he's adapted to work more closely with various other Fey, often doing jobs too dirty or despicable for the more ethereal of their kind. Gethin is no different, an antisocial and brooding sort who'd rather stick his claws into someone than talk to them. That said, he's learned to adapt to a certain extent in human and fey society, learning to take jobs that do not require that he be social, ones that are easy to disappear from. Among the Fey he has taken to associating with any number of unseelie (even a few Thallians) as he's been learning that having "friends" is essentially required to get through the world nowadays. While you might expect one to say that under all of this there beats a heart of gold, the truth in Gethin's heart is about as leaden as you can get. Gallow's humor and dark strong beer might help him come out of his shell some, but there is little like cold blooded murder to get Gethin to really shine.

A note, however, that might add a little shine to the rust on his heart. Gethin is the underdog's ultimate wingman. Whoever is the most downtrodden in the room, this is the person Gethin will stick up for. He has a burning hate for authority and thinks the fears associated with balanity are...well banal. Folks shouldn't have to fear things like politics and where the next paycheck is coming from. They should be fearing the primal things of blood, tooth and nail, it is much more natural. The more free people are from banal worries, the more open their brains are to the things they really should fear. As such, Gethin voted for Clinton.

Character History: Robin has been gifted (or cursed) with a very strong Remembrance, the mist repeatedly filling new new host-bodies to the brim with memories of his distant past. At this point there is more there than can be easily contained in one brain and Robin often mixes up his history as Gethin versus his story as any of his other incarnations. Robin's twisted and rotted swiss cheese of a soul refuses to forget or be forgotten.

Like much of his kind, Robin was rose out of the lingering malice present in dark and haunted places. Robin's earliest memories of the Autumn World are the ruins of Dryslwyn Castle, the last bastion of the Welsh princes. He could tell you next to nothing of he place's history, however, as he did not occupy the site until it was left to ruin in the early 15th century. From this dark haunt atop the hills of the Tywi Valley, Gethin preyed upon travelers, shepherds, and the occasional knight-errant. Such a life was perfect for the terrible creature: a dark and gloomy haunt, a regular supply of victims, and a scary enough reputation that he had enough solitude to brood in. Best yet, he didn't need to report his allegiance to any of the Courts nor associate with any of the Trooping Fey. His soul was free to be born again and again to mortals who would grow to be brigands, mercenaries, and monsters. However it was in the mid 19th century that life would make a drastic change for the Red Cap of Dryslwyn.

While the Age of Reflection and Enlightenment was a great time for human development, it was a sorry time to be a fey. Science, logic, and reason seeped into society, replacing superstition, fear and folk religion. What was once the haunt of "Robin Red Cap" was now merely an interesting bit of archaeology. Economics had the locals moving in droves to the cities and to the New World across the sea, putting fewer and fewer victims in line to meet their fate at Dryslwyn. Furthermore people even had the audacity to investigate the disappearances and deaths around the ancient castle. It was these investigations that would eventually lead to Robin's flight across the sea. The world had changed greatly around him, and Gethin was still working on 15th century logic. He wandered the moors and quiet regions of the countryside, however what few ruins he would come across were taken already or showed signs of too much human activity. It was, with heavy heart, that Robin Redcap hid among the poor masses and emigrated across the Atlantic in search for a safe place in the late 1850's.

Hiding among his fellow immigrants, Robin quickly found that this new land held little for a Red Cap who held too firm to the old ways. For a time he found work as a butcher in in a small mining town in northern Virginia, a mountainous little region where the occasional disappearance could go unnoticed. However it was not long before the War Between Brothers began and Robin found himself in the middle of the young nation's greatest bloodbath. The awful imp haunted the fields of battle, occasionally posing as a soldier from either side or other times merely trudging through the aftermath and picking off stragglers. For Robin, it was a wonderful time. However, like most things, the fun was not to last and an uneasy peace was re-established. His Northern Virginia Home became West Virginia and he came to find that the iron and coal had overtaken his little isolated home.

Robin's last incarnation died in balmy day in Honolulu on December 7th 1941. Robin's newest incarnation is Gethin Couch, a mean old man who was born a a mean old souled child in Cole County West Virginia on that very same day. His father was killed only two years later in the Pacific Theater of WWII. Raised by a mother with lungs full of coal dust and a future of the very same, Gethin was a cynical boy with few pleasures beyond petty acts of spite and a good hot meal, usually acquired through theft. As Gethin grew, he of course ended up on the mines but it wasn't long before he signed up with the military to escape the mines. Well, more so he could escape before the bodies of all those missing foremen could be found. It was a good war for Robin to break free in, because it was a war of pointless atrocities on both sides. Gethin's service would end when he was found drinking Agent Orange, being dishonorably discharged on the assumption he was attempting sicken himself and escape the war. Truth be told, Gethin just wanted to taste it and see what all the fuss was about.

Gethin arrived in New Orleans, just around the time of the Sidhe return. He fought in the Accordance War against the new Sidhe Nobles who wished to take away the last shreds of his joy. His Corby joined the commoner forces against these newcomers, but he and his lot were defeated long before the last stand in New York. Going solo worked for a time, however the creature eventually had little choice but to align himself with the powers that be in New Orleans...

Today Gethin is just a mean old man who makes a living by day as a Taxi Driver, hiding himself with thick leather gloves and copious coats. He earns enough to maintain his cab and occasionally rent a motel room for a bed. By night, the Robin Redcap does dirty dealings to keep his cap red and his belly fed.

In-Character Writing Sample: The sun was glaring down O'Farrel street, where Gethin's old yellow cab sat baking. An Indian restaurant to his right and a bar too swanky for him to get a drink on his left, Gethin was caught between the smell of too warm curry chicken and the too far promise of whiskey. Needless to say the mood was not exactly welcoming in his musty vehicle. When the man who made the call came hurrying out of a hotel twenty minutes late, Gethin almost considered leaving him there. But...he needed the money. Rent a month late and the water was already turned off. He couldn't pass up another job.

The fare was perhaps in his mid-twenties, had on an ill-fitted jacket and tie on (looked like it could have been for a man of much greater width), and the fresh wide-eyes of someone unused to the City. "Hmph?" Gethin grunted by way of greeting and inquiring the fare's destination. "Nothing Records, I have a recording session so if we could be quick." The fare buckled in and was immediately toying about on one of those new fangled "cell phones." The hunched sour-faced Gethin grunted again, fares who were in a hurry were less likely to give a tip, in act they are sometimes in such a hurry they forget to pay.

He could get there in 19 minutes taking I-10, perhaps getting there in a hurry was more likely to get him paid than taking the kid on "the tour" and racking up the meter. The drive was uneventful, Gethin hated social fares who wanted to talk to him, but this kid was too absorbed in chattering into his black flip phone and such shenanigans. " Hmph." Gethin grunted once again once they had pulled up outside of the recording studio. The kid's hand was immediately on the door handled, but the door was locked before he could even give it a tug. "Hey, come on man, I'm in a rush!"

A too-big hand covered in a leather glove reached back into the seat. "Hmph, pay. Twenty-Six bucks." The kid rolled his eyes and pulled out a credit card. "Hmph, no. Cash." The kid sneered, "Who carries cash any longer? I'm not carrying anything except plastic. Come on man, have a heart." Gethin's hand flexed beseeching. "Pay now." The kid kicked at the door, scuffing the plastic panels. That did it. Gethin squeezed his huge hand and pulled it back, then pulling the red cap down hard over his brow. A finger reached over and flicked a hidden switch under the steering wheel, causing tinted film to suddenly push up over the windows. Unfortunately the kid wouldn't be making it to his appointment. On the bright side though, Gethin knew a few guys who would bought second hand cellphones and business casual wear...

Mask: A very shitty rubber werewolf mask from party city.

Theme Songs: 16 Tons , Misery is the River of the World and Hand That Feeds

Last edited by TheLawfulNeutral; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 02:02 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
@TLN -- AYYYYYYY!! My boooyyyy! Can't wait to see what you whip up!

@Nikolas -- Alice is hysterical. I mean. She'd terrify me in person, but the fact that she holes up in a "haunted" Best Western Suites to scare people is amazing! Top-notch concept. You definitely nailed how a Sluagh works in my opinion, right down to cemetery tours! That said I realized I left out a key detail in my ad and that's that I prefer 3rd person narrative over 1st person when writing with a group. Now, I don't want you to butcher your app to fit that need because it flows so perfectly the way it is written that it would hurt me a lot to change that.

So, I guess what I'd like to know is 1), are you okay with joining a game that'll require 3rd person writing, and 2), could you possibly add an additional blurb using 3rd person narrative for the RP sample so I can judge you on that? I do apologize for that inconvenience. It was the one thing I didn't think about when putting up the ad, and I totally understand if that ruling turns you off.

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 02:08 PM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'll add a 3rd person bit to it.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 02:18 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you so much for your understanding, Nikolas! I look forward to reading more of your work!

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 02:25 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Just for the record, I'm working on a concept for an angry old Troll hermit and will fight anyone who tries to steal that before I can get the chance to write up my application tonight. :P

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 02:34 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
Listen. My heart is big enough for multiple crotchety old fae. Mind you, I don't think anyone else could survive a room full of them, but you know, some things are worth the sacrifice.

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:12 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Actually, on further thought I do have a question. The physical copies of the rulebooks I have are the original core rule book and the players guide. Is the info in them close enough for basic character building or do I need to go on safari for more up to date material?

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:30 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
That's an excellent question!

I don't own a copy of first edition, so I can't say for certain how different it is from second edition. I researched it some and from what I understand magic is handled very differently, which that alone makes me suggest you hit the internet for second edition material! But don't worry! It is easy information to come by and I am happy to answer any questions you have!

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 03:59 PM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepheren View Post
Actually, on further thought I do have a question. The physical copies of the rulebooks I have are the original core rule book and the players guide. Is the info in them close enough for basic character building or do I need to go on safari for more up to date material?
Too bad you missed when Onyx Path gave out the PDFs for free earlier this year.