twitter facebook

Notices

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
Chaopsychochick
Awww man, you mean we don't get to see the judges panel... We wanna hear all the goodness and torment! Lay it on us! Hey Sed, can you go peak in and relay back to the rest of us hapless competitors
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1731
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
You will see it when all three judges have posted on each battle. The judgement will be posted in the Stadium. This way, you can vent your ire on us! I find judging one round to be incredibly tough.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5071
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
I am going to make one general comment to the participants. I am looking for good inclusion of all the Ingredients in the main plot of the story. The more you can make it an important part of the story, the more points I am going to give you for that Ingredient. Including something as part of an enemy's gear or a minor point that the PCs might not encounter will yield you less points than if the Ingredient holds a important role or major portion of the plot. I will give the participants credit in including the ingredients in their current applications. They all are good, and it is hard to include every single ingredient in the adventure and make them all equally important. You guys have done a great job, and again all deserve great credit, but this is the IronDM Contest. Could the ingredients be used in better ways? I have to answer this with a "yes". So those of you who move on, here is something to work on for the next round!

Here is one helpful hint to all when choosing how to use ingredients. Ask yourself the following question:

"If I took this ingredient out of the adventure to what extent would the adventure be changed?"

Set your aim for "there would have to be major changes to the adventure"

Last edited by Silent Tiger; Nov 30th, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
*likes his redness* Yea, there's judging going on, allright. *ducks the tomatoes, too*
I must say I usually do stuff on the fly more than I prepare adventures. Coupled with a writers block and lack of sleep... well... you guys saw the result.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
Chaopsychochick
With Silents remark I have to admit I didn't do that the best that I could have. I most built the idea around those, as opposed to keeping those centralized. If I happen to move on, I will definitely try and keep that in mind.

That is one thing that is hard to tell on the first round, you don't know what the judges are looking for. All you have really is the example post, and I for one tried to emulate the tongue in cheek type of adventure that the example gave. I hope that everyone at least enjoyed the concept that I came up with. Cause if so, then I have done my job. Even if I don't meet what the judges deem as their standards.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
PaintedBear
My best adventures have always been done by the seat of my pants, so I know how you feel there, Sed.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Briefly here, Oct 2, 2018
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5497
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
I am really enjoying it too. This is some really spectacular stuff.

Last edited by CE2JRH; Nov 30th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
Just so you know, that wasn't a random rant from me. I am going to spill the secret and announce that I am one of the team of judges that is evaluating your adventures. I wanted to give you an idea about what I was looking at when judging your entries so that you could improve upon them in the future rounds.

This is a very hard contest. You have a limited amount of time to turn around an adventure that includes these ingredients the best that you can. Kudos for everyone on their efforts and for even joining and subjecting yourselves to our scrutiny. You all got... guts... yeah, guts.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
5) The ingredients are then used to design an overview of an adventure. You should try to either give the items equal importance in the adventure, or ingenious and pertinent ways to incorporate into the adventure. You are free to add and create any other elements of the adventure, but the use of too much filler to bring unrelated objects together will likely lead a judgment against you.
------------------

As for what we look for, don't worry too much about it and just do the best you can. Kudos indeed to all of you; ultimately this is a great exercise, I know I have learned a lot in participating in similar tournaments.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
I will consider this a great venture if we come out of this contest with 8 DMs who have somehow improved their DM and adventure making skills. Or at least get to show off the diamond polished perfect skills they already have!
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
Chaopsychochick
I suddenly have a sinking feeling with all of this, that mine just got torn to pieces... >.> Dangit, and I really liked my adventure too, politics, and open endedness and what not... Although, maybe I am just being too paranoid and what not... I know I have a tendency to do that a fair bit of the time :P But... I think I will have to wait and see on feedback to see if I get any new ideas for DMing. As for the most part I have a good idea of what I like to do with my games. Open ended, allow the world to be a world, don't railroad PCs, make the game fun, and react to the PCs and such. Also, lots of lies and deception in the way the world works is fun.... But that's just me, and I hope the PCs that I have in my current game who are lurking in on this like the game I am running with those things.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Sed, stop reading the judgement thread; it's not fair to the others.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
Chaopsychochick
LMAO, someone just got owned by CS power awesomeness.

*is highly amused... and highly ADD... and highly bored at work*
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Briefly here, Oct 2, 2018
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5497
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
I can since I'm not playing, right?
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE2JRH
I can since I'm not playing, right?
I can tell that other people are looking; if you do need to look, ensure that you can and will keep your mouth and key board zipped until the verdict is posted publicly. If you are a player with the ability to do so, do not, under any circumstances, including threats of death, view the thread. It is private for a reason. Be honorable. Do note that Admin Securis is one of the judges and he has powers that mortals don't have.

Last edited by Colatine; Nov 30th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.