Characters Shadow Over the Plains - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Haryn: Where Gods Tread
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
Shadow Over the Plains

Vorsevren - Shadow Over the Plains Characters
PlayerCharacterRaceClass
JReidIovyth Tor'ValeonHumanWizard
The Rat QueenMelisendeHumanLifegiver (Cleric)
NasrithLiam the LeopardHumanBard (Swords)
AnthrueserBran MarremanHumanPaladin of Devotion
HafrogmanDain BladewalkerHobgoblinFighter (Samurai)
WatcherGunkGoblinRogue (Arcane Trickster)
LazerOgukHalf-OrcBarbarian (Totem)
ByronBulbLunn BonerattleGoblinBarbarian (Ancestral Guardian)

Last edited by DarkPaladin; 12-10-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6152
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Dain Bladewalker
right-aligned image
Name: Dain Bladewalker
Race: Hobgoblin
Class + Subclass: Fighter (Samurai)
Appearance: Not as tall as a gnoll, not as broad as an orc nor as nimble as a goblin, Dain is a creature of averages among the Waroc tribes. Powerfully built for his size, he still is lean enough to move quickly when it suits him. He has sharp, angular features and deep red skin. His goatee and swept-back hair are brown, offset by tufts of paler fur at his temples. His ears are vaguely lynx-like, tapering to long black tips at the ends.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Chosen Deity: Dain venerates all totems, but feels the most kinship with Lion and Wolf.
Background: Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)
Personality Traits:
* I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
* When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
Ideal: Self-Improvement. The goal of a life of conflict is the betterment of oneself.
Bond: All Waroc are my brothers and sisters. We must unite our communities if we are to take our rightful place in the world.
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of a good fight.
Personality: Dain is focused and driven, but his fixations often come at the detriment of other aspects of life, such as social niceties. This can make him come across as gruff and aloof, even by the standards of the Waroc tribes.

History: The whetstone glides smoothly down the watery metal of the sword's edge. Is it steel, or some other strange alloy of elven make? Although it pains me to admit it, this is a masterfully crafted weapon, of better quality than anything I have seen our Waroc forges turn out. The sword does not actually need sharpening, barely a mark lies upon its surface. And yet, I sharpen it anyways, in a kind of ritual of meditation. I sit cross-legged on this rock and gaze into the grass at the body of the sword's previous owner. He was a young elf, arrogant like so many of his kind, fully convinced he was the equal of any Waroc. I took his challenge, took his life, and took his sword. The stone makes another pass and I reflect back on how I arrived at this place in my life.

Hobgoblin they name me. A blend of the best the Waroc has to offer: the cunning of a goblin, the tenacity of an orc, and the good looks of a gnoll. Still, in my youth, I sometimes felt disconnected from the others of my tribe. We are all one people, but I felt like I lacked the identity of a purer strain. And so I took to traveling to find myself.

Bladewalker I named myself. My feet carry me across the Iron Steppes as I move from tribe to tribe, offering my services as a warrior wherever they are needed. The half-breeds that have returned from human lands tell me they would call me a 'sellsword', but to me this is a laughable phrase. I do not do this for money. I do not fight for gold, or glory, or even for hatred or bloodlust. I fight for the thrill, the challenge of facing and overcoming your foe. There is nothing like it.

By being of all tribes and no tribe, I have learned everything that the Waroc have to offer. I have studied tactics at the elbow of Vanti Warfarer, I have raided cities alongside Kekla She-Bear, and I have fought a duel of honor against Gutwick the Pungent (I lost, but I impressed him enough that he didn't kill me). Along the way I have killed men and dwarves, watching the Wardhyr and learning from them as well. Just because they are an enemy does not mean they have no lessons to impart. Not because they are strong, but because they are weak. In their weakness they have learned to stand together in ways the Waroc still have not mastered. One tribe, under one chief. I still have not found the chief that can do this, but when I do, I will pledge myself to their service and we shall forge the Waroc into a sword with which to defeat all of our enemies.

About Me
Realistic posting rate: I try to post within 24 hours of anything that requires my attention, but I post mostly on weekdays. I can still post on most weekends, but if a new post/round went up late on Friday and I have a busy weekend, it could conceivably be three days between posts.
Previous role playing experience: I started with the red box in elementary school and have followed the various editions through to this day. I mostly play, with a few brief forays into DMing.
Number of forum games you're currently playing: I am currently in three games and have applied for a fourth.
Roleplay Sample: A couple of posts from sadly bygone games:
A missing princess.
A maid's work is never done.

Stat BlockDain Bladewalker | Fighter (Samurai) | Level III

HP: 31/31 | AC: 17 | PP: 13 (60 ftDarkvision) | Speed: 30ft

Stats: Str 14 (+2), Dex 14 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Int 13 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 9 (-1)

Languages: Harcomyn, Waroc

Relevant Equipment: A slender elven blade of fine construction.Greatsword, Shortbow, A piecemeal combination of giant lizard scales and metal pieces salvaged from vanquished WardhyrScale Armor, A pair of The previous owner no longer needed them.knucklebones

Proficiency: Greatsword, Longsword, Light ArmorMartial Training | You know the nomadic life as only someone who has experienced it can. You are able to identify Waroc tribes by their emblems, and you know a little about any such tribe, including the names and reputations of its commanders and leaders, and their recent accomplishments. You can find room at the cooking fire of any non-hostile tribe. You can find warrior work between adventures sufficient to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.Waroc Bladewalker | Defensive: +1 AC when wearing armorFighting Style | HistoryBonus Proficiency

Last edited by hafrogman; 07-09-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 PM
dilige et quod vis fac

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8103
ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb
Lunn Bonerattle

right-aligned image
Race: Goblin
Class: Barbarian, Path of the Ancestral Guardian

Appearance: Lunn is so slim and wiry that his grey frame appears to have been whittled from bleached hardwood. This illusion is made all the more convincing by the patchwork of scars which cover his exposed skin, and by the numerous tattoos which occupy the gaps between. Most prominent of these markings is a mighty serpent, which runs from the back of his left hand to the right across his shoulders. When Lunn clasps his hands together in his lap, as he is wont to in repose, the impression given is of the great snake eating its own tail. Lunn disdains armour of all sorts, trusting to his quickness and cunning to preserve him in battle. His one concession toward protection is a small round shield covered by the scales of the snake which tried and failed to consume the infant goblin in his swaddling. For weaponry he bears a slim sword, gently curved, which he names Fang, and a recurved bow of layered wood and horn. Lunn also bears the scrimshawed bones of his ancestors at all times. Some of these are pierced through his pointed ears, and others he keeps in a pouch at his waist, ready to consult in times of need.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Chosen Deity Totem: Uur the Clever
Background: Uthgardt If I could swap athletics for acrobatics that'd be dandy. Waroc Tribe Member
  • Trait: I’m driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.
  • Trait: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.
  • Ideal: If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan.
  • Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
  • Flaw: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.
Personality: Lunn has listened well all his life to the lessons of the Legendtellers. As a result he bears a great burden of mistrust toward any and all who do not hail from the Waroc. To those few that have earned such from him though, he behaves as though they were full-blooded members of the tribes. Lunn believes himself to bear the spirits of his ancestors in the bones he carries, as a result he is ever-conscious of any potential slight or dishonour upon their legacy. He is also curious, and is driven to see the distant locations spoken of by the Legendtellers. The lessons of the past, glory and betrayal, are things which Lunn believes can only be known when one has felt the truth of the soil of those grounds beneath his soles.

History: When Lunn was little more than a babe, barely after he had taken his first teetering steps, a great serpent slipped into the tent in which he lay swaddled during the night. The child did not cry out in fear at this intrusion, instead tumbling and playing amid the grasping coils of the predator as though it were the most natural thing in the world to do so. When his parents checked upon him with the sun's rising, they cried out in such surprise as to wake the entire encampment. The babe, Lunn, lay upon the serpent as though it were a crib fashioned for his comfort, rather than a wild and hungry thing. The snake had tied itself into impotent knots in its attempts to catch the child, and now was entirely helpless beneath him. In his surprise, Lunn's father snatched up his spear and smote the snake through its crown, pinning it to the floor. The serpent's blood anointed the infant then, and he laughed as he tasted of its coppery life-font. When they had calmed enough, Lunn's parents consulted the shaman, and were overjoyed to hear the event pronounced a fortuitous sign. The serpent was skinned, and once dry its scales became first a blanket for the infant, and then the cover of his shield when he grew large enough to bear one.

As he grew, Lunn developed into a fierce and cunning warrior. His stature meant that he could not match those born of mightier blood for sheer strength, but his quickness and cleverness allowed him to compensate for this lack. Naked but for a shield in one hand, and a sliver of steel in the other, Lunn was a dervish in battle. The events of his childhood had already endowed the young warrior with something of a reputation, and his obvious talents as a fighter cemented this. He took Uur the Clever as his totem early, as the obvious choice really. The serpent had chosen him, Lunn believed, and it would be the greatest of follies to spurn the will of the spirits.

In time he was rewarded for his faith in the correctness of his ancestors' decision. When the blood-mist dropped its red veil over his gaze, and the feral battle dance took hold of his limbs, Lunn found that the spirits themselves would answer him. They were invisible to all but himself, and so he remained silent on their manifestation, lest it be taken as an ill omen. These spirits of his forebears could be directed though. Lunn found that should he request the spectral host aid his companions, they would do so. The bones did not yet speak, but he could sense the truth of their nearness at all times.

Certainly, he was among the blessed, Lunn knew this for a fact.

Last edited by ByronBulb; 07-11-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10144
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Application - Review
left-aligned image
Name: Melisende
Race: Human
Class: Lifegiver
Alignment: Neutral Good
Deity: Ahlya

Appearance: Melisende is of medium height, and medium build. She's conventionally pretty, though much of that comes from her bearing, a regal demeanor that comes from her upper class upbringing. Her eyes always seem to be searching, trying to find some deeper meaning in everything she sees. Her movements are patient and methodical, though not necessarily slow. When she speaks, her voice is confident, but soft, and never seems to be spoken in anger.

Personality: As one of the middle children in a large, wealthy house, Melisende learned to be more of a supporter than a leader. While older, or bolder, children fought and jockeyed for position, Melisende was the Peacekeeper among her siblings, soothing hurt feelings, mending relationships, and bringing everyone back to the table. It was a natural choice for her to join the Church of Ahlya, especially since there would be little in the way of fortune or power left for her once her older brothers and sisters inherited. That was fine with Melisende, as she had no desire for either. She gave her life to service, giving back to the people as a way of balancing the scales and improving the lot of mankind.

She's patient, and probably a bit sheltered and naive, but kind and generous of spirit. She acknowledges that there is violence and death, but also believes that there is room for mercy and healing once the fighting is done. She's never truly had to struggle for anything, which she feels a bit guilty about. Whether or not she'll display steel resolve under the silk covering once she does know struggle remains to be seen.

Background: Acolyte
Traits: I've spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.
Ideal: Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond: I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family.
Flaw: I follow orders, even if I think they're wrong.

History: Melisende was born in the northern part of the Central Plains, just south of the Green Hills, near the Istven River. Her House originated as a merchant family, making their fortune shipping and trading the wines of the Green Hills to other areas of Haryn. They are still technically a merchant family, though now wealthy and powerful enough to dabble more in politics than trade.

When she came of age, she was sent to Erethambria to study at the Temple of Ahlya. There she worked and studied, wandering the splendor of the city, and visiting the cool breezes of Ereth Lake as she learned the craft of healing, and of clerical study and prayer. Though there was little open sign of suffering in the carefully monitored and controlled city, she was one of many tasked with ensuring things stayed that way. She also occasionally traveled with a church group to other villages and towns less fortunate, easing burdens where they found them. She spent countless hours working in the medical center, at first practicing the healing and herbalism learned in classes, and eventually plying spells to cure minor ailments and injuries.

Melisende was never the type to desire great fame or notable deeds. She was quite content to serve in her own humble way, healing as much as she could, and contributing to the greater good. Though she enjoyed travel, she found the foreign sights as interesting as she would find a new painting, or a well-designed building. To her, it was all evidence of Ahlya’s blessing, and she was quite happy where she was.

Little did she realize, things were about to change…

About Me
Posting Rate: Multiple times/day
Previous RPG experience: 5e, a little Pathfinder and Shadowrun, online RP
Number of games in progress: Six or seven active, all as a player.
RP Samples: Shadowrun, 5e
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5238
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Liam - The Leopard

Liam - The Leopard
Male Human Bard of Far Thesura

About MeRealistic Posting Rate: 2-3 per week. I can almost always post within a day when a response is required directly. If I'm going to be longer than that, I'm in the habit of letting people know.

Previous Roleplaying Experience: My uncle got me into D&D way back when I was a teen but I never got into playing tabletop, both for social and geographic reasons. I'm 24 and have been on the site for 8 years, so in many ways I've grown up roleplaying on RPGX. Something I've recently discovered - and one of the reasons I'm drawn to this game - is that I need a DM that leans into both the world they're running and the players' they're running it for. Without it, I have a tendency to lose the train of the character, especially when the game begins to slow down. I get the sense that this isn't something I'll have to worry about here.

Number of Games I'm Currently In: Scales of War; Yeohven: Fall From Grace; Mysoth - Winds of Change; The Song of Muse
I don't DM anymore; takes up too much time and mental space. All of the above games are at a pace of 1 post per week or less. Also shoutout to Montage for running Scales & Yeohven, both of which have been running for over a year.

Other Roleplaying Samples: Combat - Quarion Breaks a Rib ; Social - Rori Gives a Tour

Stat Block

Last edited by Nasrith; 07-09-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Illithid Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1819
Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser
A Righteous Warrior
right-aligned image
Name: Bran Marreman
Race: Human
Class: Paladin of Devotion
Background: Knight of the Order (Order of the Chalice)

Appearance: While Bran once stood with a humbleness to him, he now stands tall. In his years of travel and training he has gained a hint of pride that is noticeable in his stance and the charisma of a man with a goal. His sense of fashion has not improved however. Bran still wears simple clothes, rugged from travel and bound with leather and ornamentation. Underneath lays a warrior's chain and a body well-muscled from a life of labor and training that hasn't been often to break for book learning.

When speaking, Bran's voice is noticeably controlled and tinged with a Vorsevrenian accent. He has a tendency to speak with his hands when riled up.

Chosen Deity: Bran worships all the Wardhyr gods equally, believing he must find his true god in time, alike his mentor.

Personality Traits: I act with warmth and respect to all men, be they lord or waif. I hold a love for life and enjoy experiencing the wonders of both man and nature.

Ideal: It is a paladin's duty to lay down his life in the defense of others.

Bond: My word is my bond, I shall never break it.

Flaw: I obey the law, even if the law causes misery, and will not lie, cheat or steal, regardless of the situation.

Personality: Bran is a cautious yet welcoming man who struggles to follow his mind over his heart. While he sees himself as mature and capable, Bran lacks the wisdom of those who have guided him and acts mostly on instinctual knowledge and his sense of right. Curiously, despite his ability with the blade, he tends shy away it; even when it seems the most reasonable way to solve a problem.

Mechanics

Last edited by Anthrueser; 07-10-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1658
JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid
App
right-aligned image

Name: Iovyth Tor’Valeon/ Vythica Vance
Class: Phaedashyn (Evoker)
Race: Human (Variant)
Appearance: Iovyth is a thoughtful girl with a gentle disposition and a maturity far beyond her twenty three years. With short, silky blonde hair, a pale complexion, and striking grey eyes, she can fly the sweetest smile when her mind is afire with ideas. Though outwardly frail, a bit wiry and petite, Iovyth moves with a delicate grace. Even her mannerisms, meek as they are, exude a quiet benevolence—too kind to squish a spider, or to even say a hurtful word. Iovyth once perused the ancient tomes and dusty scrolls among Thranduin’s collection, unraveling arcane knowledge with the greatest of care. Though, as the saying goes, don’t judge a book by its cover.

Her manner of dress is modest and practical, and she is never without her black-singed spell book, the gold chain talisman of her favored goddess, or something to write with—quick to jot down her thoughts at the slightest spark of inspiration.

Alignment: Neutral Good
Chosen Deity: Darwyth
Background: Sage (Wizard’s Apprentice)

Personality Traits: Knowledge is like gold in the mind’s vault, the more you know the richer you are. Magic is the key that allows oneself to achieve their highest potential, so a great deal of personal accountability should come with it. I’m not afraid to question the Church, or any power, that believes there is merit in using fear and subjugation. I may seem weak, but I won’t hesitate to fight for my friends and the greater good.

Ideal:

Knowledge. Power, Self-Transformation, and Truth all begin with a thirst for Knowledge.
Change. The Aedar and Phaedashyn have always been at odds, blinded by past scars. Surely we can find common ground. With our combined minds, we could do so much good, even create a Haryn that is truly free for all. Even so, I’m painfully aware that expectations often fall short of reality. I’ll risk life and limb to keep the spirit of Artur Phaedash alive!
Beauty. Beauty is far more profound than just one’s outward shell. Life is composed of little moments thrummed with joys and sorrows. My heart yearns to explore beauty in all its forms before life passes me by.

Bond: Those I love are all ghosts now, taken from me by a nemesis called Greed.

Flaw: Due to my child-like innocence, my faith in people is often misplaced. Naïve as it seems, I believe even the blackest heart can be reasoned with.

Personality: Iovyth is first and foremost an idealist, determined to make the best of circumstances no matter how dire. There aren’t always easy answers to problems, but to live by the slapdash seat of one’s pants is not how she prefers to go about business. The use of magic should not be taken lightly. Not only does it attract attention, and questions, but she also grapples with using it for harm—especially against mundane citizenry, clergymen, and fellow Phaedashyn. With that in mind, Iovyth has the long suffering patience of a saint, perhaps too forgiving of others shortfalls, but when matters truly go array you can be assured that she will quickly sweep away the opposition.

Iovyth answers to Vy for short, as the sound of her name brings a bad aftertaste.

History:

For three years Iovyth has been living with the Phaedashyn at the Erethambrian College under the alias—Vythica Vance—as it is much easier to play dead than confront the ones responsible for so much pain and misfortune…but she never intends to give them a second chance at her life. That, and they absolutely petrify her. To Vy, they are the very picture of monsters in human form—decadent, devoid of empathy, and bent on destroying her simply because they desire it.

To properly understand, the true depth of her story goes quite a ways...

Stat BlockIovyth Tor'Valeon * Phaedashyn Evoker* Level 3
HP: 20/20 AC: 12 Saves: Int (+5) Wis (+3) Speed: 30ft
Stats: STR 8 (-1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 14 (+2) INT 17 (+3) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Waroc, Elvish
Relevant Equipment:Burnt Spellbook, light crossbow, dagger
Slots: 0: 3/3 L1: 4/4 L2: 2/2 Spell Bonus: +5 Spell Save DC: 13
Feats: [1]Arcanist: Increases Int by 1, gain proficiency in Arcana skill, or doubles your proficiency modifier if you already have it, and gives you prestidigitation and detect magic spells. Can cast Detect Magic once without a spell slot per long rest. Arcanist, Learn 2 extra cantrips and 1st level spell (Wiz). Restored after long rest.Magic Initiate
Prepared Spells (6): Firebolt: 1 action, Instant, 120ft, evocation cantrip Make a ranged spell attack. On hit, the target takes 1d10 fire dmg. A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn’t being worn or carried. This spell’s dmg increase by 1d10 when you reach 5th, 11th, and 17th lvl.Firebolt, Burning Hands 1 action, Self (15ft cone) Instant, 1st lvl evocation Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity save. A creature takes 3d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much on a success. The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried. At Higher Levels: The damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.Burning Hands, Mage Armor 1 action, touch Duration: 8hrs / 1st lvl spell Touch a willing creature who isn’t wearing armor. The Target’s base AC becomes 13+ its Dex mod. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.Mage Armor, Chromatic Orb 1 action, 90ft Instant, 1st lvl Evocation Make a ranged spell attack against a creature you can see. You choose the damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder. If the attack hits, the creature takes 3d8 damage of the type you chose. At Higher Levels: The damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.Chromatic Orb, Grease 1 action. 60 ft Duration: 1 min, 1st lvl conjuration Grease covers the ground in a 10-foot square within range. It's difficult terrain for the duration. When the grease appears, each creature standing in its area must pass a Dexterity save or fall prone. A creature that enters the area or ends its turn there must also make this save.Grease,Mirror Image 1 action, self Duration: 1 min, 2nd lvl illusion spell • Three illusions of yourself appear in your space. You can use your action to dismiss the duplicates. • Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the spell's duration, roll a d20 to see if the attack targets one of the duplicates. If you have three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher for the attack to target a duplicate. With two duplicates, it's an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, it's an 11 or higher. • A duplicate's AC is 10 + your Dexterity modifier. A duplicate is destroyed by an attack that hits it. It ignores all other damage and effects. The spell ends when all three duplicates are destroyed. • A creature is unaffected if it can't see, if it relies on senses other than sight, or if it can see through illusions. Mirror Image.

Last edited by JReid; 07-14-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:47 PM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Gunk Darkmouth
Race: Goblin
Class: Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Chosen Deity: Owl Totem (Marsal the Old)

Appearance: Gunk is a young but typical specimen of his race. He is short, around four feet, thin with wiry lean muscle, and has slightly oversized feet. Gunk has a large head that has long angular features, long pointed ears, narrow yellow eyes, a broad hooked nose and a smirking mouth filled with sharp teeth. His skin is a mottled green, largely smooth [for a Goblin], with small scars and scars here and there across his arms and face.

On Gunk's small form are a combination of leather armor and simple clothes, dark and somewhat ragged, ripped and torn in places. A sleeveless leather vest, a pair of shorts, wrapped forearm guards, and fingerless gloves. Around his waist, Gunk has a simple belt that has several weapon sheaths and pouches. On his legs Gunk has toeless shoes that have been wrapped in leather straps up the shin, helping to dampen his footsteps. On top of it all, the Goblin has a hooded cloak that is as equally ragged as the rest of his clothing.

Finally, around Gunk's neck is a small leather pouch on a partly frayed string necklace, which contains a small A silver skull the size of a coinmysterious trinket, and is threaded with four Goblin teeth [two either side of the pouch].

Personality: Gunk is a Goblin that is greedy, opportunistic, suspicious and sly. From a very young age, Gunk's family were considered outer circle by his people, Clan Ulruk. Doubly so when his parents were killed under suspicious circumstances, instilling the Goblin with a severe and consistent distrust of everyone. Being a step short of outcast, Gunk grew up watching other Goblin families enjoying Chief favor, being lavished with reward, food and the pick of loot. The crumbs and leftovers were given to Gunk and his family [and other small groups in similar standing in the clan], and this treatment determined the young Goblin's personality and development.

Growing up with very little, Gunk has no qualms with taking whatever he can get away with taking, and the shinier the better, in fact. Long past the point of caring about morals or right and wrong, there is little concern or guilt over the source of any procured items. Even family members aren't safe from Gunk's thin, long, sticky fingers. So consumed by the need to attain wealth - gold, jewelry, trinkets, or any item of value - Gunk will do just about anything.

While not an overly social person, Gunk isn’t afraid to talk to a stranger when the need is upon him. Usually his youthful energy and curiosity leads the way, with a near unending spattering of questions. Despite his ability to talk and socialize, Gunk has a deep-seeded distrust of everyone and everything, and no matter how friendly or trustful he seems, will never fully trust anyone but himself. This can lead to times when Gunk seeks solitude, preferring to be alone, where he can focus and plan and prepare. Even though young, he can be surprisingly introspective, perhaps even wise.

Gunk believes in eye for an eye, or favor for a favor. Anyone who has done wrong by him can expect some kind of retaliation, and those that have assisted the Goblin can expect the same help in return. Gunk does not like to be in anyone's debt, it makes him feel uncomfortable, so he seeks to repay those he owes sooner rather than later - even if that means manipulating them into accepting help when it might not necessarily be needed.

In terms of spirituality, Gunk is very tight-lipped. As far as he's concerned, his clan's ancestors haven't really done anything to help him, so he doesn't feel the need to worship them either. He has a respect for tradition, but is by no means dictated by it.

SpecificsBackground: Urchin
Personality Traits: I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets; I ask a lot of questions.
Ideal: People - I help the people who help me, that's what keeps us alive (Neutral).
Bond: I escaped my life of poverty by robbing an important person, and I'm wanted for it.
Flaw: Gold seems like a lot of money to me, and I'll do just about anything for more of it; I will never fully trust anyone other than myself.

History: Born to clan Ulruk, Gunk was the only offspring to a pair of Goblin parents. His father, Eyecutter Darkmouth, was an archer of some renown and earned a name for the Darkmouth family within their tribe. Having served under Chieftain the OrcUlruk, Eyecutter unfortunately had made enemies from his successes, which put a Literally and figurativelytarget on his back. Gunk was but a small Goblin when the OgrillionUlruk was made Chieftain, and it was with dire circumstance that Eyecutter did not agree with, nor support, the newly appointed leader; in fact, in the past, Gunk's father had been quite open about his disdain for the Ogrillion, which had led to a strong dislike of one another.

When Gunk was five, his father was killed on a scouting mission. The circumstances were vague and suspicious, and when Gunk's mother - Nok - wouldn't let the death be, she too died under mysterious conditions. Left without parents, Gunk was forced to rely on whatever generosity his clan members bestowed on him, as they saw fit or when they could be bothered, and the child Goblin was forced to mature quickly living on the social outskirts of his tribe. Gunk became self-reliant, skilled at moving quietly, and by the age of seven was capable of moving about the camp with little-to-no one noticing... save for one, much to the Goblin's surprise.

The beautiful Legendteller, Atosh, seemed to take something of an interest in Gunk. Even though she was welcoming with most, for some reason she took a liking to the young Goblin. When Gunk was unable to scavenge food, Atosh would have some ready; when Gunk's feet grew too large for his ruined shoes, Atosh would have some ready; and when Gunk accidentally angered Chieftain Ulruk by getting underfoot, Atosh was there to calm the situation and send the young Goblin on his way. It was quite perplexing to Gunk and even to this day, despite speaking with the youthful Legendteller, Gunk still hasn't gotten an answer as to why Atosh took a liking to him. And given her penchant for riddles and stories, he probably won't.

Still, as the years continued, Gunk grew weary of living as a shadow in the clan. He ventured out, seeking a large Wardhyr city, hoping to find something that would earn him favor with the Chieftain and allow him to reclaim his family name. The city was busy, far too busy for the Goblin's tastes, and there were Wardhyr everywhere. Yet, Gunk's particular skills allowed him to amass a small purse of gold coins, and with every successful theft, the Goblin fell more and more under the wondrous metals sway. In fact, Gunk was so taken with gold that he became obsessed with getting his small hands on as much as he could.

After some months, Gunk drew the attention of a band of thieves, and proving himself capable was inducted into their number. He did well, learned a lot, and soon had a reputation never felt in his old clan. Unfortunately things don't last, and no sooner had Gunk spent several months with his new friends, than he was sent on a fateful task that would snatch everything away. Gunk was ordered by the leader of the guild to steal a small chest of items from a mysterious old human, who lived in one of the richer parts of the city. Feeling it was a simple task, Gunk accepted and went on his way. Little did he know that the old man was a powerful archmage and the chest of items were some of the magic user's most prized possessions!

Gunk sneaked into the tower, passed numerous traps, had his hands on the chest... only for the mage to appear, acting quite expectant of the thief's presence, and to then start hurling magic at the green, small intruder! Dodging and weaving, Gunk jumped from the tower window, using a rope to slow his descent, before he made a hasty escape from the guards on alert. For several hours Gunk ran and evaded, seeming to dodge almost every guard in the city. Then, returning to the guild den, the Goblin was concerned and surprised when the group had seemingly disappeared, having moved on. Outside, the city was on alert, perhaps far more than what Gunk thought was reasonable for the theft of some mage's box. Going through the items within, the Goblin had his fingers wrapped around a small silver skull, no bigger than a Wardhyr coin, when mysterious men in black robes burst into the den!

Later, Gunk would believe that the guild members had used the easily recognizable Goblin as a distraction. While he had kicked up a fuss for the city mage, and thus drew the city guard down on the area, the guild had fulfilled their own task unknown to him. They had then moved to a new location, and Gunk suspected even told the mysterious robed men where to find him in the old den. Still, through sheer instinct and reaction, and being small enough to use pipes and passages the guards couldn't, Gunk managed to escape the ambush - though most of his belongings were lost, his collection of gold and trophies in the den left behind. All Gunk had to show for his time away was the gold in his purse, the items on his back, and the small silver skull he now kept in his necklace pouch, right beside the teeth of his parents.

Dejected, angered with the Wardhyr, and further distrustful of anyone, Gunk sought out his clan and returned to share his misadventures with Atosh. For several months he wandered, finding hints of clan Ulruk's passage or campsites. He tracked them using methods known only to fellow clan members, slowly closing on his people. Along the way, Gunk began to feel strange, but couldn't explain the sensation... not yet. And being unsure of what it was, Gunk decided the best decision was to remain quiet until he could work out what had happened to him and who he could speak to about it within the clan.

Several days later, Gunk had finally returned to clan Ulruk, reaching the Forktongue swamp and seeing nothing but death and destruction...

About MeRealistic posting rate: 1 post per day
Previous role playing experience: High level of pbp RPing, not as much experience in D&D 5e.
Number of forum games you're currently playing: Four (including Haryn)

Stat BlockGunk Darkmouth |
Archetype

Arcane Trickster
Level 3 Rogue

HP: 27/27 | AC: 14 | Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 |
Ability Scores

STR: 10 (+0)
DEX: 17 (+3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)
Ability Scores |
Checks

Perception: +3
Passive Perception: +13
Passive Investigation: +16
Checks
Racial Features:
Darkvision (60 ft.)

You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Darkvision,
Fury of the Small [+3 dmg]

When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature's size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Fury of the Small,
Nimble Escape

You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.
Nimble Escape
Class Features:
Expertise

At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves' tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies. At 6th level, you can choose two more of your proficiencies (in skills or with thieves' tools) to gain this benefit.
Investigation & Thieves' Tools
Expertise,
Sneak Attack (+2d6 dmg)

Once per turn, you can deal extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.
Sneak Attack,
Thieves' Cant

During your rogue training you learned thieves' cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves' cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.
In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves' guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.
Thieves' Cant,
Cunning Action

Starting at your second level, you can use your Bonus Action to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Cunning Action,
Mage Hand Legerdemain

Starting at 3rd level, when you cast Mage Hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:
- You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature.
- You can retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature.
- You can use thieves' tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range.
You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creatures Wisdom (Perception) check. In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.
Mage Hand Legerdemain
Skills: Acrobatics (+5), Insight (+3), Investigation (+6), Perception (+3), Sleight of Hand (+5), Stealth (+5)
Tools: Disguise Kit (+2), Thieves' Tools (+4)
Languages: Harcomyn, Waroc
Combat Equipment:
Leather Armor
AC: +11
Type: Light
Max Dex: -
Properties: -
Leather Armor,
Rapier
Attack: +5
Damage: 1d8+3
Type: Piercing
Properties: Finesse
Rapier,
Shortbow
Damage: 1d6+3
Range: 80'/320'
Properties: Ammunition, Two-Handed
Shortbow,
Dagger
Damage: 1d4+3
Properties: Finesse, Light, Thrown (Range 20'/60')
Dagger (x2)
Spellcasting Ability: INT | Spell Attack: +4 | Spell Save DC: 12 |
Spell Slots
Cantrips:
Level 1: 2/2
Level 2: -/-
Level 3: -/-
Spell Slots
Spell List:
- Cantrips:
Booming Blade (1d8 thunder dmg)

Type: Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
Description: You make a single melee weapon attack against a creature you can see in range. If the attack hits, the target is surrounded by magical energy, and it can't willingly move or it takes 1d8 thunder damage. The spell ends after dealing damage or at the start of your next turn, whichever is sooner.
Leveling - At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage, and the moving damage becomes 2d8. Both damage dice increase by one again at levels 11 and 17.
Booming Blade,
Mage Hand

Type: Conjuration
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute
Description: You use your action to create a spectral, floating hand at a point you choose. Once made, you can use your action to control the hand. It can move up to 30 feet at a time, but can't be more than 30 feet away from you or it will vanish. The hand is able to manipulate objects, open an unlocked door or container, put away or get an item out of an open container, or pour out a vial's contents. It can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds. If you cast the spell again before the duration is complete, the hand vanishes.
Mage Hand,
Toll the Dead (1d8/1d12 dmg)

Type: Necromancy
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: A creature you can see must pass a Wisdom save or take necrotic damage. If it's missing any hit points, the damage die is 1d12; otherwise, it's 1d8.
The damage increases by one die when you reach 5th, 11th, and 17th level.
Toll the Dead
- Level 1:
Disguise Self

Type: Illusion
Range: Self
Duration: 1 Hour
Description: Until the spell ends or you use an action to dismiss it, you can disguise yourself magically in many ways. You can appear to be shorter or taller by about a foot and change the appearance of your body weight, but you cannot change the basic structure of your body. The illusion can include your clothes, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person.
The illusion is only visual, so any sort of physical contact will only interact with the real size and shape of you. Someone may also use an action to make an investigation check against your spell save DC.
Disguise Self,
Find Familiar

Type: Conjuration
Casting Time: -
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M (10gp charcoal, incense, herbs; consumed by brass brazier's fire)
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: An animal becomes your familiar, obeying your commands, though it is still an independent creature. It has the appearance and statistics of the animal form you choose. You can choose from the animals: bat, cat, crab, toad, hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel, but the familiar's type must be chosen from celestial, fey, or fiend.
You can telepathically communicate with your familiar and as an action you can see and hear what it does until the start of your next turn. If your familiar has any special senses, you also gain the benefits of those senses while you are seeing or hearing through it. While doing so, your body is blind and deaf. You can also cast spells with a range of touch through your familiar as if it has cast them itself, but you must be within 100 feet of it and the familiar uses its reaction to cast the spell. Otherwise the spell is cast as if you had done so yourself.
When initiative is rolled, the familiar also rolls, but it can't make an attack. It can take other actions, but if its hit points fall to 0, it disappears until you cast this spell again.
You can dismiss the familiar permanently any time you choose, as an action, or you can temporarily dismiss it to a pocket dimension. You can recall your familiar from the pocket dimension, also as an action, to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.
If you try to cast this spell when you already have a familiar, you can choose for it to take a new form, but you cannot have more than one.
Find Familiar
(Owl)

Name: Beak
Species: Owl
Size: Tiny Beast
Alignment: Unaligned
Armor Class: 11
HP: 1/1
Speed: 5 ft., 60 ft. (fly)
Ability Scores: STR: 3 (-4), DEX: 13 (+1), CON: 8 (-1), INT: 2 (-4), WIS: 12 (+1), CHA: 7 (-2)
Skills: Perception (+3), Stealth (+3)
Senses: Darkvision (120 ft.)
Passive Perception: 13
Traits: Flyby - The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach / Keen Hearing and Sight - The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
Actions: Talons - Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) slashing damage.
(Owl),
Sleep

Type: Enchantment
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (Fine sand/rose petals/cricket)
Duration: 1 Minute
Description: Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose are affected in order of their current hit points. Starting at the creature with the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious. If the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action wake the sleeper, they are awoken.
Subtract each creature's hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points. A creature's hit points must be equal to or less than the remaining total for that creature to be affected.
Unconscious creatures, undead, and creatures immune to being charmed aren't affected by this spell.
At Higher Levels: Roll an additional 2d8 for each slot level above 1st.
Sleep

Last edited by Watcher; 12-08-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3963
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Application - Half orc Barbarian
right-aligned image
Name: Oguk, son of Urzal
Race: Half-orc
Class: Barbarian, Path of the Totem Warrior
Appearance: To his shame, Oguk’s face owes more to his human heritage than his orcish; his tusks are laughably small, his skin is almost brown instead of a decent grey, and his facial ridges are severely underdeveloped. Other than these superficial things, though, he is all orc. He stands a reasonable 6’2” tall, and has honed his body into a potent weapon.
Alignment: Lawful Good
Chosen Deity: Wolf Totem
Background: Outlander
Personality Traits: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups.
The disdain shown me because of my heritage only makes me work ever harder to be accepted.
Ideal: Greater Good. It is each person’s responsibility to make the most happiness for the whole tribe. (Good)
Bond: Despite what life has dealt me I will become a legend.
Flaw: I am slow to trust members of the Wardhyr.
Personality: Determination is probably Oguk's defining attribute; he has a will of steel. He has perhaps become a bit over-sensitive when it comes to any traits which may be seen as human; he tries hard to keep any personality traits from his human side very much in check, desperately hoping that none of that silly sentimentality or humour ever leaks from his dreams into reality. He embraces the ideals of the Wolf Totem and works hard to ensure his companions are safe no matter the cost to himself.
History: The tribe of Ruukul was a small but ambitious one, and in the day of Chief Kurz they were steadily growing. Kurz was an unusual orc chief, who viewed the strengths of humans as being complimentary to that of orcs, and as such bade his own sister, Urzal, to go into a human town to find seed for a child. When Oguk was born of this union, Kurz even began to raise him to be the next chief of the tribe, much to the disgust of some of the more traditional members of the tribe. This disgust turned to open rebellion, and many of the dissenters splintered off to form their own tribe, the Argug.

Kurz went on with his plan, but those who knew him saw that doubts had been planted. So it was that when his own concubine, Lash, bore him a male child, Bruk, Kurz named him his preferred successor and five-year-old Oguk was supplanted. The shame made him work twice as hard, determined that when the time came he would yet be chief. He loved his cousin, and fully intended to give him a place of honour in his tribe, but knew to every fibre of his being that he was meant to be chief.

Whatever he may have thought he knew, fate had other things in store. Before Kurz had been ready to pass on the mantle, the Ruukuls had ended up at war with the much larger Rorgal. Normally the Rorgal wouldn’t bother to muster much enthusiasm for these little wars, but for whatever reason this time they showed up at the Ruukul encampment in force. The battle was brief and fierce, with the Ruukul warriors taken by surprise and also heavily outnumbered. Kurz was slain gloriously in battle, his son Bruk was grievously wounded, and Oguk, to his humiliation, was captured.

All Oguk could honourably do was wait for the war to be over so that he could go back to his own tribe. The wait was far shorter than he had expected, as word soon came that the Ruukul had been totally decimated. The majority of the survivors of the battle had joined with their erstwhile brothers, the Argug, but that was not something that Oguk would be able to do since they had split off in protest at his own status. He was a warrior without a tribe. He was desperate, so he approached Rorgal with a request to join his tribe.

Rorgal was intirgued and immediately spotted an opportunity. He gave the prisoner a chance to prove himself; he set him an impossible task, and if he accomplished it he could join the Rorgal. If he failed, well, then the problem had sorted itself.

The story of that trial is a good one, but this is not the place to go into it. Suffice it to say that Oguk returned, triumphant, and were allowed to join the Rorgal. Given a second chance, they were among the most loyal of the tribe, and followed Rorgal almost fanatically. But because of their origin as outsiders they had to work double as hard as any of the others. Oguk grew to be a mighty warrior, channeling the Wolf so he could work seamlessly with his brothers. He found his place as an expendable warrior, one who could be used in the most dire of missions.

About MeRealistic posting rate: 1 per weekday
Previous role playing experience: IRL I have been playing 5e for six years. I have also been involved in more than a dozen games on this site and Gamersplane over the course of that time.
Number of forum games you're currently playing: I’m in four games right now, although two of those are going very slow and may fizzle out completely soon.
Roleplay Sample:

OOC

Last edited by Lazer; 12-10-2018 at 02:23 AM.