Game Thread Legacy of Ruin -Chapter I: The Wizard's Tower - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Haryn: Where Gods Tread
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
The Ground FloorThe heavy armor of the three warriors clinked softly as they followed their two quieter companions, whose soft footfalls were all but silent against the dull, gray stone. A set of stairs turned up through the archway, zigging back and forth as the stairs ascended. Arriving at the top of the stairs was a long hallway, with two sets of wooden doors on the left wall of the hallway, and three single doors on the right. At the far end of the hallway another open archway showed steps curling away, heading further upwards. A thing red rug embroidered with gold thread ran the length of the near fifty foot hallway.

It was so quiet, all the group could hear was the husky breaths of their dwarf companion. Eerily quiet. The flames of the sconces of the well-lit hallway did not crackle or pop with noise, clearly some sort of illusory permanent flame. Wordlessly, "Jaspin" approached the door on the right while "Dehan" moved to the left. Kneeling down at each door and peering through the respective keyholes of the door revealed the following limited information:
  • First double door on the left - A long dining table dominated a well lit room. It was draped with a sheet and had some table settings, though Dehan could not tell any other details.
  • Second double door on the left - An even larger set of double doors faced the keyhole--a mosiac tile decorated the floor. Given the size of the doors, they likely were the front doors to the tower.
  • First single door on the right - A room with a bustling fireplace and floor to ceiling bookshelves.
  • Second single door on the right - The room was completely black
  • Third single door on the right - A dimly lit room, dominated by a grand four poster bed, an armoire, and an unlit fireplace.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3

HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal

The tower was most impressive, and Dehan was correct in his comparative assessment. Judging on what the rogues informed the group, Kayne was weighing options. Clearly either no-one was home, or they were confined to quarters away from where they current travelled. Quietly, Kayne conversed with the group, "A dining hall, the main entrance, a study, likely filled with typical arcane or historical tomes, and what I am guessing is a guest room, along with a room of some mystique. To be honest, I think little will be found on this first floor. It’s possible his first floor library may have the potential for something damning… but honestly if he had it on the same floor as he entertained guests, that would be quite foolish, and I haven’t known many wizards who were fools."

Glancing down the hall towards the next flight of stairs, the half-elf was biting his lip in consideration. "We likely have limited time… focusing our efforts where we’re most likely to discover anything if there is anything to find is best at this point. If nothing in the floors above reveal anything, we can leave the library and that middle room for on our way out… but for now we should likely focus our search elsewhere. Agreed?"

OOC

Old 08-21-2018, 02:02 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
In Check Check
left-aligned image
The momentary pain of Constance kicking him in the shin had long since faded, but the deep-set emotional scars were obviously still there. While it was hard for the rest of them to see his face through the slits in his headshell, especially in this light, Foralvic's intention was clear as his entire head turned, coming to rest on their fearless, redheaded, glaive-wielding leader. She, like him, had been silent this entire time, letting the soft men with soft words and soft steps lead the way. And so he stood there in the hallway, still as a statue after a rainy day (you know, because of all the sweat), battleaxe in hand, waiting on the words of the paladin whose shield still burned bright with magical energy.

Last edited by PeasOfCrab; 08-21-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9816
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
A tidy kitchen a good man does not make.
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
Dehan shakes his head at Kayne's supposition. "We cannot make assumptions on where the evidence we search for could be. A thorough investigation must be made."

While Neddy could be quiet and he knew how to pick a locks, he wasn't the most adept at traps and such. "Jaspin, I defer to your expertise," he said as he motioned to the first door on the right side of the hall.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3698
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Akrin slowly makes his way up the stairs and to what appears to be the ground floor of the tower. He wonders who had the great idea to send three heavily armored people on a mission like this, and comes to the conclusion that the church must be expecting this to turn ugly at some point. He’ll try to make sure that happens as late as possible, but the noise the three of them are making will alert any guards within earshot.

To his surprise, there don’t seem to be any guards within earshot. Logically, if there were guards in the tower they would be on the ground floor. Guarding the entrance. Only, there don’t seem to be any. A chill runs down his spine. A powerful wizard without human guards could indicate they are in over their heads. If he doesn’t have a contingent of guards here, what does he have guarding this tower?

There is little point worrying about that now. All he can hope is that if they are indeed overmatched, that he’ll have time to get out of there while the dwarf and the paladins put up a good fight.

Akrin sneaks closer to the doors on one side of the corridor and peers through the keyholes, and then confers with Dehan, who has done the same on the other side of the corridor.

Kayne suggest moving up, arguing that it isn’t likely anything the wizard wants to hide will be found on the ground floor. Akrin agrees with the assessment, but not with the statement that they have limited time. They probably have plenty of time. All the time in the world, right up until the time they are discovered. Then they'll have no time left.

“I think we should at least take a quick look into the rooms, but I agree that it is unlikely that we’ll find damning evidence on this floor. It’s just that I’d hate to get into trouble up there somewhere only to discover that we overlooked danger on this floor. If we need to fight, I’d rather not get flanked. Besides, it won’t take long, and it’s still early evening. Ideally, we’d want the occupants to be asleep before we head further,” he whispers.

He pauses for a moment, thinking. “I assumed that our brave leader, who is probably either a coward who ran back to the forest or dead, killed by a particularly clever mousetrap, checked if Acertap was at home or not. But we simply don’t know if that’s the case. Perhaps Acertap is out for the evening. In which case we want to get this done before he comes home. Knowing which it is would have been very helpful,” he says, annoyed at himself for not thinking about this earlier. It might make sense that Acertap is out for the evening. Why else would you start a heist at twilight?

He hurries to the door of what they assume is a guest bedroom, quickly checks to see if the wizard is insane enough to place traps on the doors here, before quietly opening the door.

OOC

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
The First FloorChecking thoroughly for traps or hidden devices, both rogues are somewhat disappointed to find that nothing on the doors appears to be trapped. What Jaspin assumes to be a guest bedroom appears to be correct, with a large four poster bed dominating the room. Other comfortable, but unusued furniture adorns the room--a large armoire, an oversized hard backed chair, and a cold fireplace that, despite scrubbing, has hints of soot and ash on the pale white-grey stone. As the three warriors watch from the hall, heads swiveling for danger, the rogues do a quick assessment of the drawers, cabinets, and other parts of the room. The armoire contains a large house robe and general sundries for a guest staying the evening, but nothing of interest. The chamber pot is clean and dry. It appears that no one hass stayed here in recent weeks, or months. Despite the lack of disturbance, not a trace of dust exists anywhere in the room.

The second door provides a bit of a more imposing threshold, for even if Foralvic or Kayne, with their inherent darkvision, opens the door, they can see nothing but inky blackness. Like the first, the door is unlocked and untrapped. Slowly the pair of thieves pry open the door, only to reveal a washroom and privy. The the effect of blackness comes from a velvet lack robe hanging over hooks on the back of the door.
Combined with the lack of light from inside, it appeared to create a field of impenetrable darkness. Unlike the other rooms which are filled with a continuous flames and light, the washroom is dark, but there is a small circular knob on the wall that, if turned, controls the light of the room like a hand held lamp. The washroom contains a great copper tub and a side chamber with a privy, a simple chute leading likely to he same sewers below.

After the anticipation of the washroom, both the study and the dining room are equally bland. The study is a huge room, with seating for twelve in comfortable, well used chaises and chairs. Side tables for glasses and pipes are scattered through the room, and two ornamental fire palces dorn either side of the room. There is no desk or other ornament, this appears to be a room for lounging and entertaining. A quick purview of the books reveal them to mundane--extensive histories, some theatric plays and the like, genealogy of the Nesathran noble houses, books on how to brew one's own beer, others on the biology of the griffin, among other religious texts and theological topics, as well as many books on arcane theory, but no spell books and certainly nothing that would even be borderline heretical.

The dining room has settings for twelve, a white cloth covering a grand oak table. Here is the first sign of any lack of care--the glass stemware has a thin layer of musty dust, likely the ash from the well used fireplace in this room. The stemware and place settings are gilded gold, and are worth a pretty penny to any pawn or fence in the city. There is also a small cabinet in this room, that when opened reveals a shaft holding a dumb waiter. It extended down, presumably to a cabinet in the kitchen, but also up several stories into the darkness of the tower above.

With the first floor largely explored, there has been no signs of danger anywhere in the first three levels. Is Acertap really a sinister villain?
Are your superiors in the Church merely casting paranoid aspersions on a man whose house is quite rich and well apportioned, but quite plain and boring? Or does something more sinister await as you ascend the tower?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
The lack of traps, locks and weird stuff might surprise some of the others, but for Akrin this is quite normal. He’s burgled houses before and this is all pretty standard stuff for a rich noble. Of course the enchanted heating system, everburning flames and windowless, sinister tower are not typical, but apart from that this could be the well-appointed town house of any well-off merchant or noble.

When the search on the ground floor yields as little as they had expected he heads on to the second floor. “I’ll check it out, don’t get too close,” he warns the others. “Except for Dehan here you are too loud for this kind of thing.”

He then carefully ascends the spiraling staircase, as usual trying his best to be Stealth check = 25as quiet as possible and to Investigation = 22keep an eye out for any traps or tricks from the owner. As he gets closer to the first floor he Perception = 17stops and listens, trying to hear if there is anyone moving about above.

OOC

Old 08-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
We just need to look harder.
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
Dehan takes up a position near the bottom of the stairs awaiting signal from Jaspin that they could follow him up.

The lack of evidence to this point hardly deters Neddy. Who would keep incriminating evidence on the guest level anyway? Surely it would be tucked in a private room, a secret drawer or even a hidden room. He eyes up the dinnerware but opts to leave it be...for appearance sake.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
The Second FloorAs the stairway curves up, circling the edge of the tower, Jaspin appears at a massive, hingeless stone door. The door was stout, thick, and tall, some ten feet wide by fifteen feet tall and perfectly set into the archway. Listening to the door did no good, the thick stone made it impossible to hear if anything was on the other side. The others followed carefully behind, padding the distance between the sneakier thief and themselves.

A thorough examination revealed the first sign that the tower's owner was cautious and guarded against intruders. First, the door was locked, but more importantly, Jaspin finds tiny arcane symbols carved into the edges of the door--conjuration in nature, but the exact purpose of the wards were unclear. Silently waving for Dehan to approach, the two discussed the runes in hushed tones. The others saw a flurry of hand motions and strange Thieves Cantterms as the two stratagized the best approach to the first obstacle. Eventually, the two decided to take a small dagger and carefully scratch out a few specific runes in a hope to disable the entire ward.

Inhaling deeply through his nose, Jaspin ran his fingers along the runes, then held his breath as he pulled out a few thin metal slivers and went to work on the locking mechanism. Brows furrowed in concentration, in less than thirty seconds the mechanism was undone and he let out a slow, long breath. But they had yet to clear the obstacle.

Now, if he and Dehan were correct, it would be no problem to open the door. Standing and putting away his tools, Jaspin and Dehan each placed a hand on the great stone door and pushed. At first, nothing happened, and Dehan looked down over his nose at Jaspin, wondering if the fool had actually unlocked the door. But then, as the two continued to exert pressure, the door silently slid open. It was susprising, first because the runes did not activate and unleash whatever hostile magic was contained within, but also because of how silent the door moved. Large stone doors usually scraped along the floor, but this one glided open on its hidden Foralvic recognized the design immediately, hidden dwarven hinges. Good work, but not magic or any such sh*t.hinges.

The door opened to a room that took up nearly the entire floor of the The tower is roughly a 100 foot in diametertower. Extending in each direction for nearly fifty feet to the left and right was the same dull gray stone material, but after fifteen feet to the front, it ended and was replaced by a checkerboard pattern of white marble and black onyx flagstones. Across the near fifty feet of checkerboard flagstones waited two wooden doors set into the far well. The doors were fifty feet apart, and each contained some sort of engraving or pictures in the stone frame around each door, but the tower infiltrators were too far away to make them out.

OOCAs I was describing it, I realized it may be a bit confusing, so I created this amazing map using my stellar paint by number skills:

When you make your post, please be specific about where you move and how you get there. As of right now, I have Jaspin and Akrin at the archway of the stone door ("marked Entrance"), and the other three about 15 feet down the staircase.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Oh dear.
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
As the pair of 'burglars' approached the checkered floor, Neddy let a sigh escape his lips.

"And now the game is afoot."

He glanced toward Jaspin to gauge his reaction to the floor.

"My first inclination is two-fold. The obvious, pressure plates on certain floor tiles. The not so obvious, this is to distract from the real danger. Perhaps ceiling or walls contain the real trap. What say you?"

While the two had previously been sharing semi-good-natured verbal jabs at each other for the entire time they had known one another, Neddy had seen enough to know that Jaspin was indeed a capable thief and trusted his judgement in these matters.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
When the heavy stone door finally yields to the two infiltration experts, Akrin does a double take. He stops for a moment, peering at the doors in the distance without crossing the threshold.

“This is getting interesting,” he replies to Dehan. “So far, everything has been pretty mundane and boring. Then we find a bloody massive stone door warded with a spell, and now this.”

He pauses for a moment. “I think it’s very likely that this floor, like the door here suggests, is designed to keep people like us out. If not, why spend all this space on a huge room? It appears to have no function, unless the wizard is a fan of some large-scale board games I’m not familiar with, which so it makes sense it’s here to keep intruders out.”

He kneels in the doorway, examining the floor around the doorway, peering at the closest black and white tiles. “At the same time, this is a room the owner probably crosses multiple times each day, which tells me that the way through probably isn’t a horribly complex pattern of hopping on different tiles while not touching other tiles. We need to look for signs of wear on the floor. Even dust, or lack thereof, can be very telling.”

Getting back on his feet he now looks at the doorway itself, as well as the walls closest to the door. “At the same time, you are correct. The danger might be above or to the side. The floor might simply be designed to make us look down.”

Thinking about this dilemma he comes to the realization that using a spell to detect any magical auras might help, but since it takes a while to cast that it might be better to use other methods first. He quickly casts a cantrip to summon once again an invisible hand he can use to explore and fiddle with distant objects and directs it into the room. If the wizard is using something to detect the presence or use of magic and use that to spring a trap, the hand might be enough to set that off. Not likely, but then the hand will be useful for other things.

“Let’s work slowly out from the doorway, get to the tiles and then head right,” he suggests. “But first, we make sure the door won’t close,” he says, getting an iron piton out of his pack. He places the metal spike in the doorway to make sure the door won’t be able to close properly, not hammering it in but leaving it where it will stay put if someone tries to close the door behind them. If a trap awakens a magical guardian of some sort, closing the door to stop any thieves from retreating would make sense.

As he starts Investigation check = 17looking for a safe way to cross the room he again whispers to Dehan. “Look for anything that might be dangerous as well as any signs of people passing through. Just a single hair from Acertap's head might be visible on a white tile and give us some idea,” he says as he slowly starts to work his way into the room, staying off the tiles for now, looking for any clues as to why the wizard has designed the room in this manner.

OOC

Last edited by kymrel; 08-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Over Board
left-aligned image
Foralvic had moved in an inverted wedge formation with Kayne his mirror and Constance in the center, her glaive providing the needed reach to help either of them at a moment's notice from a few feet behind. Slowly they had ascended the staircase and made their way to the next floor with no cries of alarm from their rogues. As they peered in through the entrance of the checkerboard room, both Neddy and Jaspin were already in serious discussion and moving slowly to the right side of the room. Looking around Foralvic saw no sign of danger and so stepped forward. He saw the doors on the far end and the fact that they had something inscribed on them. Halfway to the checkerboard area, Jaspin called out to him, "Don't step on the tiles, they're probably a trap."

Foralvic answered his warning with a nod of appreciation. He'd have smiled too but it's not like they could really see it through his headshell. As he got to the edge of the checkerboard without stepping on any of the tiles, he squinted and peered at the two mirrored entrances. After a few seconds, he cocked his head to the side and made his way over to the conversing crooks.

"Ayyy... Sorry to interrupt but I saw something over, over there," he says, while motioning lamely with one thick arm in the direction of the doors, "Was trying to see what was written on those doors but it's too damn tiny... I did notice that there are some keys already in the locks, though. Wish I coulda seen what's on those doors, though. Hey, your rat thing can do that. Right, Jaspin?"

Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3

HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal

Kayne had his arms crossed, just past the threshold of the doorway to observe the checkered floor and looking between the two doors, glancing to the huddling group of thieves and the dwarf, the half-elf decided to speak up, "One door has a black tile in front of it, the other has a white tile… could be aesthetically coincidental, or it may require steppling only on those corresponding squares to open. If there are pressure plates on each square, I would imagine you cannot do both doors at the same time. If a door has keys placed within, you could see if it’s worth checking that one. If it’s a red-herring, perhaps you focus on the door without keys and attempt to handle that one. Either case, we should try only stepping on corresponding coloured tiles based on the door we wish to reach."

Looking from one door and then the next, and glancing at the squares that correspond to direct diagonal lines to each doorway, Kayne spoke to the group once more, "Straight shot from this position for the white door on the right, and that other spot is a straight shot for the black door on the left. Perhaps it’s a process of removing keys from one door to apply to the other... perhaps you can use your familiar to check out the righting on the door without keys first, and return and then we try the other door… just a thought. I defer to your experiences, as you have gotten us this far."

The paladin crossed his arms again and tried to glance at the doorways, or
Dice Perception check:
1d20+2 (3)+2 Total = 5
anything else that may jump out at him. Short of finding anything useful, he’d then try to
Dice Arcana check:
1d20+1 (8)+1 Total = 9
recall any arcane traps he’d come across during his studies that may seem familiar to this situation.

OOC

Old 08-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
After spending what seems like an eternity examining the floor, Akrin again summons his magical hand, this time choosing not to make it invisible to allow the others to see what he’s doing. He picks a black plate half-way to the door on the left and tries pushing down on it with the skeletal-looking hand, increasing the strength behind the push until it can’t push any harder. The plate doesn’t depress. He tries the white tile one closer to himself, with the same effect, and then several tiles almost at random.

“Well, they don’t depress easily, so I guess you’re up,” he says, fishing Tooth out of his pocket. The weasel squeals indignantly, having been awoken from its nap, but Akrin gives it a stern stare. “Go over there and check out the doors,” he commands it, staying still on the grey stone while the creature scurries across, oblivious to the fact that it could be blown up by something nasty at any moment.

Akrin stays still, watching through the little beady eyes of the weasel. Once it returns, he reports back to his companions while he puts Tooth back into his pocket. Before he does, he goes to the dwarven-made door and looks at Constance. “I think you won’t get hurt if you enter the room with the rest of us. You might want to see this and help us make up our minds on what to do.”

He gives it a little time to see if she enters before continuing. “The door here on the left has a black plate in front of it and daemonic faces carved into it. A key that looks like it’s made out of bone or something with a white ribbon hangs on that door. The one on the right has a white tile in front of it and has angelic faces, but a black key with a black ribbon.”

He lets the others digest this for a moment. “It could be as simple as doing as Kayne suggested. Sticking to the tiles corresponding to the color of the tile closest to each door. So we stay on the black ones going to the left door and on the white ones going to the right door. The problem here is the keys. Do we need the black key to open the left door? What happens if we use the keys on the doors they are at?”

Mulling things over for a bit he continues. “I suppose I could try to head to the door on the right using the white tiles and try to turn the key with my magical hand when I’m close enough. Unless anyone has a better idea...?”

He suddenly stops talking. What would he do if he were the wizard? He wouldn’t want to bother with this three times a day. Coming home drunk and trying not to step on the wrong tile sounds hazardous. Either they are blowing this whole thing way out of proportion and this is mostly just something the wizard has set up to stall intruders, or the wizard has a way past. “Dehan, come with me for a moment,” he says, running to the edge of the room to the right and inspects the wall thoroughly. “If I was a paranoid wizard I’d have a way past my death trap so that I don’t risk death if I slip on my sodding robes. Wouldn’t you? I’d put a hidden door here somewhere,” he says, .

OOC

Old 08-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Feels Bad for Corona Beer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11768
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Constance Wintersborne
Human Order of the Dusk Paladin of Vengeance

Constance had been perfectly content leaning against the large stone door as she watched the two thieves examine the floor and decide what it means, if anything. It was clear there as a great deal of fear causing such hesitation. While the paladin understood the stories of the wizard and had an idea of his power, the very thought of making some complicated trap that would instantly kill seemed like too much of a risk to her. One bad step and that would be the end of the wizard.

But okay, if Jaspin really wanted to have her input on how to handle this particular puzzle, she was going to give it. At least her fellow paladin had had the same idea when the group first encountered the room. Pushing herself to standing, Constance didn't show even a bit of hesitation as she pushed forward and took an initial step onto the white tile that started the long, diagonal stretch to the white door. As long as nothing happened from that first step, she had every intention of continuing on and plucking the black key from the door.

Last edited by Saratek; 08-24-2018 at 02:22 PM.