Game Thread Legacy of Ruin -Chapter I: The Wizard's Tower - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Haryn: Where Gods Tread
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9811
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Oh dear.
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
And there it was. Jaspin and himself only had to him haw about the trap for ten or fifteen minutes before one of the or stupiderbraver members of the team couldn't stand it any longer and walked onto the plates.

He reached out a hand in silent protest but said nothing. The gesture, of course, was only for appearances. He didn't really care if someone got fried by a fireball, fell down a spike laden pit or was pierced by a javelin from a murder hole. As long as it wasn't him.

His eyes darted about looking for the location whatever devilish contraption would fire from.

Last edited by tomplum; 08-24-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
The Checkerboard FloorThe other members of the group breathed in sharply as Constance's heavy foot pressed down on the first tile, her hard metal greave stark against the white marble. A distinct *click* was heard as the tile depressed.

A moment passed, then two. Then three.

Nothing happened.

Constance then stepped forward, a black tile similarly *clicking* as she put her weight down. Again, nothing.

With growing confidence, Constance made her way across the room a series of clicking and clacking from the tiles and her armor. Nothing happened as the others watched.

Walking in a straight line, Constance reached the right-hand door. Carved into the stones around the door were twelve various motifs of angels and celestials, immaculately carved. She reached down and grabed the black, onyx key, her hand pausing for a moment, watching and waiting, but nothing happened. Curious, she jiggled it slightly, but it did not appear to move left or right. She was able to slide it out easily. Examining it, the key was made of onyx, and the ridges were carved into a controrted, snarling, horned demon.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Feels Bad for Corona Beer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11768
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Constance Wintersborne
Human Order of the Dusk Paladin of Vengeance

Tuning around and glaring across the way at those that had been spending such an awful time worried about the hidden dangers of monochromatic tiling, Constance followed her path back and stepped off the tiles. Holding the key out at Jaspin, "Is that the kind of assistance you were hoping for, thief?" But just as the man went to take the key, the woman snatched it back into her hand. Clearly an idea had come to mind.

Taking the key, she glanced over the Kayne and waved him on, "I'll walk a path to the other door, if nothing kills me, follow and take the other key, then circle back on the path we've already covered. I think if we match the keys to the doors and turn them at the same time, it'll work. Given the kind of trickery mages are capable of, I could see him easily being able to turn both keys at the same time himself. It's going to take two of us."

Not waiting but expecting her comrade to understand her logic and follow through, Constance walked up the path she'd made until she turned to move diagonally along the black squares to reach the black door. If still unimpeded, the woman reached out and pulled the white key from the black door, before turning to wait for Kayne to join her to grab his key. She knew the others thought she was foolish, but she understood that being here any longer than they had to was just as if not more dangerous than whatever traps could be left for them. With the room and the puzzle of it being of such scale, she'd rather risk herself, knowing she'd better weather the hit, than risk the others.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
The Doors to Heaven and HellAgain, Constance crossed the tile floor, this time moving diagonally along the black squares to reach the black door. Again, each tile depressed under her weight and remained pressed down. Again, nothing appeared to consume the adventurers' or their souls. All was quiet in the massive, unadorned room.

Constance reached the lefthand door. Like the other, intricate and masterful carvings of horrifying demons with snakes for beards, gaping maws, a woman with six arms and a body of snake, all in terrifying visages adorned the stones around the door.

Her hand gripped the smooth ivory handle of the key. Like its twin, Constance jiggled it, but the key would not move left or right, but easily withdrew it. The ivory ridges of the key itself was carved into the guise of an angelic woman with a flaming greatsword.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Constance Wintersborne

With both keys now, Constance turned halfway back to the others and set her feet. Raising up the white key, she waved Kayne towards her, "Walk right where I did. I'm going to stand just like this until you come get this key and get over to the other door. Don't want to chance it being picky because it feels more than one set of feet walking." Now was the moment of truth. While she was sure the wizard could handle turning two keys at one time, she didn't see him not thinking about the trouble this caused for normal folk. One wizard, one set of steps. Hopefully her treating her lower half as if it were made of stone would be enough. The two paladins had been tasked with being the shield to defend against attack for this group of infiltrators. If they had to spring a trap, hopefully all that armor would catch it, but if not, then she was sure they'd be welcomed into the beyond for their devotion...

..Barring some hold up by her fellow paladin, or something happening besides the expected silence of anticipation, Constance would wait for Kayne to make the journey, hand off the white key to him, and then for the man to traverse his way in her previously laid steps to the opposite door. Looking across the way and nodding to see if the man was set, Constance called out, "Let's start with in, and then you'll count us down. Three, Two, One, Turn, okay?" Barring any lightning bolts or golems, Constance works with her comrade to simultaneously turn the keys, wincing slightly as she prepares for the very possible ouchie.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3698
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Akrin is quite content to see that Constance is finally doing something other than moping, even if she is brashly walking over what could be a deadly trap. He is, by now, certain that the wizard has to use another way to get past this place. Perhaps he is powerful enough to be able to teleport, but it seem strange not to have a way past... His eyes shoot open. A way past. They do have a way past this place.

As Constance asks Kayne to assist her (a choice Akrin can wholeheartedly support) he steps a little closer to the black and white tiles. ”You could continue, or we could try the other way,” he says in a neutral tone. ”Since we have no idea what we’re doing here, and are just blundering in the dark, perhaps it makes sense to go down and see if we can get up through the dumb waiter shaft? There was an access point in the dining room. Perhaps we can climb up there, or use the dumb waiter to get someone up. Tooth, at least, to take a look.”

OOC

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3

HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal

Chuckling, Kayne walks along the same path Constance took to her current position. He stops just shy of stepping onto the tile she currently resides on, and holds out his hand to take the ivory key from her without putting more weight on the depressed tiles. As he walks back the exact way he came, careful not to touch additional tiles, he then takes the other path she took towards the white door.

Speaking out-loud as he goes, "You know… if I let my imagination run wild, I would say that it would be particularly nasty if you were able to step on any tile of this floor, and nothing happens until the keys are turned… at which point whatever black tiles are pressed down would summon a fiend of sorts, and whatever white tiles are pressed would summon a celestial. I would think the creation of a trap which summons a fiend would be enough damning proof in and of itself, but we would have to survive the encounter for it to amount to anything…" Kayne nods to Jaspin as he walks past the thief, musing about using his pet, or familiar, to go up the dumb waiter they witnessed down below.

"A decent thought… but I wouldn’t be so quickly to leave a room with all these pressure plates pressed. We’re committed at this point it seems…" Arriving at the doorway in front of him, Kayne holds the ivory key in his hand and considers the door in front of him, filled with angelic and celestial beings in beautiful renderings. "I’m just going to put this out there… paranoid mind and all. Should we turn these keys… and the pressure-plates suddenly drop below us into a series of slides that send us straight to the fire-pit in the basement… perhaps we should try to grasp onto the frame if at all possible. Just a thought…"

Without further delay, Kayne pushes the key into the slot of the white door, and with his other hand outstretched, hovers over one of the sculpted angelic bodies which seem to have the most solid hand-hold he could find… just in case.

"Right then… may the Wardhyr protect us…Three… two… one..." Kayne turns the key in time with Constance….

OOC

Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Doors to Heaven and Hell
right-aligned image
Both keys turn together, the black key turning right, while the white key turns left. A booming click sound echoes off the smooth walls and throughout the chamber, causing everyone to crane their necks to see if anything was revealed.

Then, with a sizzling and tiny explosion, the topmost rock above each door explodes, sending a harmless shower of rock and dust down upon Constance and Kayne. The perfect carved illustrations have been destroyed, but suddenly the rocks behind them glow brightly until with a final flash of light the party is momentarily blinded. As everyone's vision clears they see the room is now filled with two new figures.

Standing between Constance and the gray stone is a hulking red demon, some 8 feet tale with a wicked black halberd and wiggling copperheaded snakes from its chin. A wicked smile crosses its lips, showing jagged teeth and its snakes rear up and hiss at the holy warrior.

Meanwhile, an figure with white plumed wings at least ten feet tall floats just inches above the tiled ground. A hood covers the figure's face but it wields a small shield and short spear. The darkness behind the hood is broken only by two glowing yellow eyes, which narrow as it looks at Kayne, reading its spear to strike.

Before anyone can act there is a thunderous boom as if someone let loose a thunder storm inside the tower. Shooting out of the middle of the far wall came a bluish field of energy, straight and narrow. In an instant it had crossed the room, forcing Jaspin and Dehan to dive in opposite directions to avoid collision. As it reached the other room it collided with the door, pushing it shut, causing Jaspin's piton to snap in half and shoot off into the far corner of the room like a crossbow bolt. Looking up each of you see the shimmering, translucent blue field separated the two halves of the room. It reached up to the ceiling and to both floors, dividing the room neatly in half. Dehan places his hand against the wall, feeling it is solid and immediately recognizing it as a Wall of Force--an impenetrable barrier that even extended to the Ethereal Plane.

But more pressing matters were at hand, as both the demon and angel were prepared for battle. Divided from one another, the adventurers had their hands full.
left-aligned image

Maps & Notes

Old 08-25-2018, 04:52 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3698
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
”I really think we should try the dumb waiter,” Akrin protests, but if there is something that’s as unmovable as the tower they are standing in it’s the stubborness of paladins. He can only cringe as the pair of them turn the keys, wondering if he should dash through the door or not. In the end, pride wins out. If the damned idiots have by some miracle guessed how to get past this thing running away would not win him any friends. He does stay close to the door, just in case.

The loud click makes him jump a little, but then the rocks above the doors shatter, apparently summoning two guardians. ”Yeah, good luck,” Akrin hisses as he decides to head for the door. As he’s coming to the conclusion that he’d better get to the cover of the doorway at least, a thunderous boom shakes the room and a wall of pure magic splits it in two, forcing him to dive to the side. It impacts on the door and the tiny spike he jammed in there is tossed out of the way by the immense force of the wall as it closes the door.

Grimacing, Akrin realizes that there is no way out, and that he’s stuck with Kayne on one side of the wall with what appears like an angelic figure, armed with a spear. ”Not good,” he hisses as he quickly yanks out his bow as he moves away from the magical wall and closer to the stone wall, pulling out an arrow from his covered quiver as he moves. He is almost directly behind the angel-guardian when he stops and pulls back his arrow and releases it in a smooth motion. The feathered shaft flies true and to his immense satisfaction sinks deep into the back of the guardian.

OOC

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 08-25-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Constance Wintersborne

As the loud click rushed out to wash across the room like a wave, Constance's fingertips were cemented to the key as she scanned the room for whatever that had triggered. That hand was finally pulled away as the cracking of stone drew her eyes up to the doorway, giving her just enough warning that she was able to raise her arm and cover her face from the showering of stone shards. She already had a feeling this was not the intended outcome the group wanted, but it was the hand that they had been dealt. The Church knew well the kind of man they were dealing with, so she had no doubt she wouldn't have been chosen if she wasn't capable of whatever they came across.

But as vision came back to her eyes from the blinding flash of magic, the sight of the eight foot tall demon had a surprising effect on the woman. Quickly spinning into a readied position, Constance brought her glaive around to bare and gripped it firmly with a grimace on her face. That grimace turned quickly into a bright smile as her eyes narrowed on the demon with absolute murderous intent within them. The feeling consumed her as she let out a loud, "HA!" before glancing through the wavering, translucent wall at Kayne and calling out, "Now This is why I joined the Order!" And with that her gaze turned back and the woman stepped forward.

Despite the threat before her and the promise of deadly battle, Constance still wore a grin as she came into range and began to calmly speak an incantation as she swung her glaive in the preparation. As the power within her formed and was pushed to her hands, the paladin knew the power would be there when she needed it. The woman's feature hardened as her entire body turned to use every bit of reach to bring her blade right across the demon's throat. While Constance had struck true, it wasn't the damage of the blackened blade that mattered, but the power she'd infused in that strike.

Constance's divine power flowed from the strike like a magical poison into the very mind of the demon in front of her. Despite appearing to be a creature of the abyssal depths, the visage of the paladin changed in the demon's mind into something truly frightening. The woman's spell had been a threat, a promise that she would end all existence for the demonic creature. Her wrath would be quenched only when the vile creature lay slain at her boots. Now it was to see if the demon could be so easily frightened by the holy warrior.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9811
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Oh dear.
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
Pulling himself back to his feet after barely missing being sliced in half by the magical wall of force that separated him from Jaspin, Dehan drew his shortbow at the newly created foe.

"Bollocks! On the bright side, consorting with demons is not a tally in Acertap's favor. We just have to survive to tell anyone about it."

He shot an arrow at the creature and even though his aim was true and the arrow struck its target, it didn't seem to have the affect he expected it to have.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Doors to Heaven and Hell
right-aligned image
Constance's glaive trikes against the iron-like skin of the demon, scratching it but not digging deeply into it. The divine energy flows through it, but its effects on the demon is far less than she expected. The demon should have cowered in terror, but instead it seemed only angrier, itself more Immune to frightenedterrifying. It wielded it's own glaive and brought it down towards the paladin. She quickly pivoted her wrist and brought the pole of her own weapon to catch the wicked looking blade before shoving it away, harmlessly.

Then the hulking red monster closed the distance, the snakes hanging from its chin snapping, but the warrior's forged armor deflected the tiny bites.

Meanwhile, the angel floated almost lazily towards Kayne, virtually ignoring the arrow that had grazed its skin. It feinted and thrust towards the dark haired paladin, but he deflected it with his shield. The angel's eyes glowed bright--signifying what, Kayne did not know.
left-aligned image

Maps & Notes

Old 08-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Pawn Charges In
left-aligned image
Foralvic was looking back at the door and listening for signs of enemies approaching from the rear when the two (un)holy enemies were summoned before them. By the time he had pivoted around to see what was going on, Constance had already slashed her glaive across its throat and deftly slapped the shaft of the demon's weapon away as it attempted to return the favor.

"Woah!!" was the only thing that came to the dwarf's mind as he was quite confused at what in the world had just happened, including the odd, clear wall spanning the middle of the room. Still, one thing was clear to Foralvic's military mind - his allies were now separated in multiple directions. That was something he could resolve. He reached down and grasped his waterskin, pulling it into one hand. He then rushed forward, hopping from black square to black square as his teammates seemed to be concerned about that, for some reason. Using the battleaxe in his other hand, he slapped its side into the front of his pauldron, making his approach behind the red-skinned dude which, due to negative stereotypes which the dwarf trusted implicitly, Foralvic was almost certain was a tiefling.

"HEY! UGLY TOMATO B*TCH! YOU'RE DEAD, M*THERF*CKER!" Foralvic shouted as he rushed forward on his stubby legs, clanging.

Last edited by PeasOfCrab; 08-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3

HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal

The holy creature’s spear barely slid off Kayne’s shield in time to avoid impaling the paladin’s shoulder. This was a difficult spot. Jaspin had fired an arrow which barely seemed to affect the celestial at all.

Of course he couldn’t get the demon… no he had to be stuck with a creature that would force him to utilize all his skills… or die here before he could even succeed in his mission to avenge Nadina…

With a growl in frustration, Kayne grasped the hilt of his blade and called out, "I serve the Wadhyr by their grace, and ask the Lady forgive whatever transgressions may transpire!"

Jaspin would just be able to make out some of Kayne’s form from around the angel, but what he’d witness would be very different from the type of combat exhibited by Constance on the other side.

Arcs of red electricity would spark from Kayne’s eyes, and they would begin to glow a red light as he drew his blade, bright red and white arcs of energy cascading along the blade as it is drawn, runes of power etched into the metal of the blade, glowing blindingly in white light. Once fully released from the hilt, arcs of red and white energy jump and skitter between the blade and the angel, causing streaks of arcing energy to surround the celestial being.

Without further delay, Kayne launches into a series of movements, precise but graceful. Where Constance’s blows were powerful and overwhelming, Kayne moved more like a dancer than a warrior, but whoever received his blows would not seek to belittle his prowess with a blade, as his blows seemed to cut across the angel’s form.

OOC

Last edited by MontageManiac; 08-26-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:36 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Constance Wintersborne

This was not good. The strike barely did any damage, and it was clear the demon wasn't going to be so easily frightened by anything, let alone a lowly paladin who was probably sent on a suicide mission anyway. Still, Constance would not relent, she would not settle to fear that which so obviously could overpower her if it really tried. Bringing his glaive around in a sweeping arc, the blade skidded off the thick demonic hide, not even causing a scratch and probably only going to anger the demon more. But the paladin had speed and expertise on her side, so even though her initial strike was cast harmlessly aside, the woman spun the glaive around just in time to crack the creature across the jaw with it. It wasn't a very powerful strike, but it was better than nothing. If nothing else, Constance would hopefully keep the demon's attention.

But no matter how much force they used, the woman had an idea that force wasn't going to be the answer her. She cursed herself slightly for letting her frustration with the thief get to her, but she had called upon to do a specific job, and hers was not one of commenting on the work of lockbreakers, but of making sure those thieves didn't go down. So when goaded into action where she had no reason for it, the paladin had come with an approach of force in sense, even if that was a force of will to push on into danger. Now it was time to do her job and vanquish the danger.

Putting a step between herself and the demon, neither her now the demon were left out of the range of danger. Just as easily as he could swing his halberd at her, Constance could return with her own glaive strike, but that's not why she stepped back until she felt her back hit the door. Hefting her glaive along her forearm, the woman reached back and tried to give the key a turn. She wasn't sure if it was a foolish idea or not, but if it even gave them a momentary indication it might help somehow, someway, it was worth it.

Mechanics

Starting Position: C-5

Actions:
Action: Miss with Glaive Attack
Bonus: Glaive Butt Attack hits for 5 Bludgeoning Damage (After Great Weapon Fighting)
Move: Step backward to B-5

Reactions
Enemy Initially Enters Glaive Reach triggers Opportunity Attack
OA: +5 to Attack, 1d10+3 Slashing Damage with Great Weapon Fighting in Effect

Rolls

Last edited by Saratek; 08-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.