Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1
Mipui
Collaborative Map Editor

Hi RPG Crossing,

I just found out about this community and though you might be interested in a map editor I'm developing: Mipui. It's collaborative: maps are stored in the cloud, and anyone with access to the URL can edit or view the map, so it's probably a great fit for play-by-post games.

The maps themselves are pretty simple, but on the up side they are extremely easy and fast to create

The app is free, open-source and requires no installation or registration - just follow the above link and start editing. As I'm not a play-by-post person myself, I would appreciate any feedback that can help me improve the tool to benefit this kind of play.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mipui
Oh and I nearly forgot - a couple of example screenshots:

Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59
gabrielserrin
I have to say, it's a very very handy tool. So far, it seems easy and intuitive to use. I'm not sure if it is possible, but the ability to make doors on the diagonal would be nice, even if it's just a token or some that can be put over the wall.

I would also say (though I myself figured it out) that maybe saying in the help about removing the &Secret= portion of the URL would create a read only map. I did notice the buttons, though, and they should be more than enough for the average person.

All in all, though, great work! Seriously, awesome job! It is a wonderful utility that can see a lot of us, at least in my humble opinion such as it is, both on and off these boards.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mipui
I'm glad you liked it!

Good point about the doors on diagonals, I'll keep that in mind! Tracking in https://github.com/amishne/mipui/issues/85, though it might take me a while to get to that.

Meanwhile, I've seen someone working around that by using a white round "shape" from the shape menu: https://www.mipui.net/app/index.html?mid=mp06w1631dv I'll try to make something proper, though.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1826
Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen Jkaen
What would be handy that is currently missing is the ability to place spell effects over (or under) existing creature or wall markers.

Think for example is somebody cast a mist spell in combat, it would be nice to show the area that was affected.

Other than that looks good
Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mipui
That's an interesting idea. I always thought about just using shapes for overlays, e.g. https://www.mipui.net/app/index.html?mid=mwiatht6a9w
but maybe I should add some shape variations that can appear over other shapes and/or are translucent, and so you could use regular shapes for stuff like furniture and translucent shapes for area effects. I don't want to overcomplicate things, though. I'll give this a thought.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:34 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5551
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Oooh, new to making/using maps so giving this a try as something dead simple to start. So far seems great as easy way to get started/into it.

One immediate thing is usually when people use maps on site here the DM does all the updating, and so all the squares on the maps have coordinates -- like, letters across the top, numbers along the side, so the players can reference where they want to move to, which monster they want to attack, etc.

I think idea of your site may be more players can move their tokens themselves, but having a quick way to put coordinates might be good.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mipui
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztk View Post
One immediate thing is usually when people use maps on site here the DM does all the updating, and so all the squares on the maps have coordinates -- like, letters across the top, numbers along the side, so the players can reference where they want to move to, which monster they want to attack, etc.
That's a neat idea! Sounds very doable, tracking in https://github.com/amishne/mipui/issues/143, though I'll probably not get to it for a while.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mipui
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztk View Post
Oooh, new to making/using maps so giving this a try as something dead simple to start. So far seems great as easy way to get started/into it.

I think idea of your site may be more players can move their tokens themselves, but having a quick way to put coordinates might be good.
OK took a while but this is now implemented! In the version released today, hovering over a cell shows its coordinates, facilitating the kind of communication you're describing. Thanks for the idea!

Full release notes are at https://www.mipui.net/docs/updates.html#2018-06-12
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
hedgehog hedgehog
Map Editor

Seriously, great Job !

Its pretty straight forward, without being too over complex. Thanks for sharing.

Kudos to you.

I have been looking for an RPG map editor, and many seem quite complex. This however, seems quite straight forward, and intuitive to use.

Do you think development in the future would include an out door/ area map feature, ie hills, forests, lakes, rivers, roads, towns etc ?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mipui
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Do you think development in the future would include an out door/ area map feature, ie hills, forests, lakes, rivers, roads, towns etc ?
To be honest, I'm not planning on any of these. In particular I prefer to polish what I have instead of branching out.

By the way, I know the author of Hextml is also considering adding collaboration support, that might be more useful for outdoor maps.