RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1743
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
The War of Cleansing Fire (L5R 4th Edition)

Game NameThe War of Cleansing Fire (L5R 4th Edition)
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeExploration and Supernatural Hunting with katanas.
FlavourSamurai, Zombies, and Revenge.
The Return of an EmpressI still remember what it was like that day when the Great Legion came to Bugaisha. The city was under siege by a band of warriors bearing the mon of the Spider Clan, and had been for several days. I was just a simple scribe in that time, hired by a merchant to keep track of his wares. It was a clear day, not a single cloud in the sky, but for hours the sounds of thunder grew louder and louder. Even the warriors who came to siege Bugaisha thought it was strange, and simply milled around in circles trying to find the source.

I was in one of the watch towers, as my employer had connections through his mothers family to the Unicorn clan, the previous controlers of this city on the edge of Rokugan. On a whim, I gazed westwards towards the mountains and saw her there. Alone, on a proud steed. Her armor was the color of jade, and her eyes burned with a fire resevered for those who seek vengeance against a man who killed their family. But most strange of all was the banner upon her back, which bore a seal the lands had not seen in many a year; the seal of the Imperial Family.

Without a word the woman drew her blade and pointed it down the mountain, down the length of the Ki-Rin's path. The thunder grew louder and louder, almost deafening, and to the shock of all the Path became choked with a wave of horseman. They moved in perfect sync with each other, like a school of fish swimming through the vast ocean, their steeds foaming at the mouths like rabid animals. It wasn't until the massive army of mounted cavelry was upon the foul Spiders that we were able to make out the purple banners and flashing scimitars that told us all we were safe. The Unicorn Clan had come home again, and fell upon the Spider warriors like locust upon a field of grain....

...Not a single member of the warriors seeking to take the city lived past that day, the ground soaked with their tainted blood. As the last one fell, I saw her wheel around and come to the city gates, the banner of the Imperial Family still proudly on her back. The look of bloodlust had passed from her eyes, and I saw instead a look of nobility incarnate. Even the horses of the Unicorn bent knee to her as her steed solemly entered the city. It was then I knew who she was. It was then that I knew the Empress had returned to claim her Throne.

-The War of Cleansing Fire, by Doji Hiroshima
Plot SummaryThe year is 1224, it is the 13th day of the month of the Goat. For the past several months, the northwestern corner of Rokugan has been consumed by war. Iweko Mikihime, daughter of the Emperor-in-Exile Iweko II, has rallied together one of the greatest armies the history of Rokugan has ever seen in order to take back their homeland. With blade and blood she has cut a swath through from the keep of Bugaisha down to the palace of Kyuden Miya in the foothills of the Spine of the World Mountains.

Once Kyuden Miya was captured and fortified, Mikihime called the march to a halt and unveiled the second part of her cunning strategy. Their next target was the very heart of the Spider Clan’s foul powers: The Temple of the First Seal. Once the seal was restored, the barrier between this world and Jingoku would be stronger, and the foul traitors would lose some of their advantage.

But Iweko Mikihime is no fool. The Temple of the First Seal lies deep within Shinomen Mori, the mystic forest that hosts the fallen cities of the Naga. Even before the Exile these woods were poorly mapped and full of mystery. So before a full assault can be set into motion, information needs to be gathered. For this purpose, Mikihime has assembled a group to scout and explore Shinomen Mori and determine the best route for the army.

You are that group, men and women of high honor and skill. You are the ones chosen to explore this most sacred of sites in hopes of finding a way to overthrow the vicious and traitorous Spider Clan. Go forth and bring the honor of victory to your families and clans!

Greetings one and all. It is I, MaximumUnicorn, looking to return to the land of Rokugan. For this game, we will be using the 4th Edition, the last one published by AEG, which can still be found for sale in PDF form. The new 5th Edition from FFG is simply not at a place where I would like it for the type of game I want to run at this point in time.

Players will have 60 starting Experience Points from which to build their characters. Any family or Clan is allowed, even the dead ones (perhaps you are seeking to rebuild your family legacy?) EXCEPT the Dragon and the Dragonfly Clans. You know what you did. We have no end date at this time, and please let me know if there are any questions. End Date set for Sat, Dec. 1st, at 11:59PM EST.

ApplicationFor your application, please play the Game of Twenty Questions

Last edited by MaximumUnicorn; 11-24-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Claimed for future use.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2143
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Im a bit familiar with the lore of L5R but am new to playing. If that isn't an issue I wouldn't mind making up an app.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36045
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Good to see you are offering this.
What are your desired number of players and posting rate?

60 XP includes the traditional starting forty, yes?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31165
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
What about complete newbs?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
Complete newbs are more than welcome! The more the merrier!

Zevonian, you are correct about the XP. I decided to go with a little bit of a bonus from the traditional starting 40 xp to represent the time in the war so far.

I'm hoping for somewhere between 4 and 6, posting rate of 1/week.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:44 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4800
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
I do enjoy L5R but I don't think my Blind Swordman would fit well here. I'll have to think of something else for this campaign. Had an interesting Dragonfly diplomat once too but I guess he's out as well.

Last edited by taleteller50; 11-09-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Are you allowing Monks and/or Minor Clans?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:23 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 324
g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n g047br41n
Yoooo.... Big fan of the L5R setting, but outside of a one-shot a couple years back, I haven't really had a chance to play.

Also, starting in the month of the Goat... How can I not post interest?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Well then I'll go back through the rules and make up a character then.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Hiruma Mikio
Clan: Crab
Family: Hiruma
Class: Bushi

Last edited by mjb; 11-19-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Got a character up. First time making an L5R character so feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:25 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
@mjb - if you are looking for feedback from anyone in this thread, I would like to offer just a few points to your solid app.

1. Some folks like seeing apps under a spoilerbutton.

2. A Crab bushi having a slight build is a nice touch. They do tend to be the large and in charge type.

3. Rocks Fall as your death? No, this can not be. No glory to be had, and has a tint of "angered GM" to it. How about something like "the result of dutifully facing a boulder throwing oni that first made Lions run and Cranes hide" instead?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
I appreciate all feedback. Thanks zevonian
Im just having trouble thinking of his preferred way to die. I'll mull it over. But really though. If we don't mess with the DM's carefully laid out plans even a little are we truly living up to our characters potential?

Last edited by mjb; 11-10-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
I think it's best that if there must be a preferred way to die, the answer should not include seppuku as one's fate.