... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Oct 15th, 2020, 08:56 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37513
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Want to know of an even more bonkers way of stat rolling that West Marches?

3 player DnD 5e game. We each rolled six sets of 4d6, refilling ones, keeping the highest 3 dice in each set.
Then the DM asked each of us for our two best sets...and those became our six ability scores. It's ridiculous, I mean my dump stat is a 15.

But as to your potential list of PMs, as many games as you've been in, I think you could come up with plenty of names.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 11:24 PM
Chicane dans ta cabane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4764
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Bhelogan had us do 4d4+4 which was pretty forgiving. My sorcerer has 14 Str and 18 Dex.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 04:23 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1777
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
I think the solution to this problem is actually quite simple. Admittedly, I didn't do this for my own game, but I likely will if I run any games in the future here.

Instead of asking for character applications, ask for player applications.

What kind of player are you? What do you like doing in games? What sort of character would you want to play? Making those questions the core of your game's application thread, instead of the usual name/race/class/backstory that has become the primary method of recruitment, would likely breed a group that meshes better. And when they make their characters they'll already know who's playing with them so they will be able to better make a party instead of just a character in a group of characters.

Of course, the DM would still post what sort of game they'd want to run, maybe a setting dump if they have it. Something to grab interest as you must do with these sorts of things. But the core of what's being asked for during recruitment is, I think, the issue.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 06:19 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16527
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
It's interesting that the ability score rolling seems to be such a huge turnoff for a lot of people. I suppose it depends on how much of the game is about maximised scores and "winning", which was never one of my huge considerations. Flaws make good characters in my opinion, if not always useful ones.

Not to derail the thread, I just thought about this because I'm going to start a runequest game next week with one of my live groups, and we are doing the conventional rolling of 3d6 for stats in order - not switcheroos. It's quite exciting for me to go in without a fixed idea at all and just going with the flow of the characteristics, even if they end up being extremely flawed. Great roleplaying exercise, and if you get the worst-case scenario the character is likely not to last long anyway (then again if they did it just makes the whole thing that much more special). Well, might put people off to have some characters that certainly won't have a long run, but I don't actually find much wrong with it. Not every PC needs to have a years-long arc, even though it can be extremely fulfilling too.

Getting back on topic - as I said I think getting together with likeminded people one already knows would probably work quite well. Probably better than playing with randoms on average, where you sort of roll the dice on people. But I'm still worried that if all the veterans started doing this there would suddenly be an almost "generational" gap, with no new players being able to break into this segment of players. People joining up would think this site is brand new when they find nobody is running public ads but other recent joiners like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathe View Post
Instead of asking for character applications, ask for player applications.
That's an interesting idea, so somebody should certainly give that a little go and see how it goes. I wouldn't expect this to be foolproof, naturally, because one of the problems just seems that certain players are quite good at selling something (which might as well be themselves), i.e. making great applications, but then still ghost. I suppose you could say they didn't get what they expected in the game and took their leave, but sometimes I feel like there are people that just love to make characters much more than actually play characters, with having to engage with other people maybe being the deciding factor there. It's quite different from dreaming up a novel-length backstory at your leisure and with nobody meddling much. Huge overlap with the crowd that's inflexible and does not take feedback or suggestions well - which was always one of my hugest red flags with people wanting to join up. If you can't do a little back and forth in the interest of tying a character more into the game in question without getting annoyed or impatient you're not going to be able to do the literal back and forth of gameplay that well either.

Last edited by Phettberg; Oct 17th, 2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 08:59 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
It would be interesting to ask for a reference to a game that applicants were or are a member of and see how the posting history and style looks. I've done this unofficially for GM's to see if their playstyle suited mine, but never as a GM.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 11:59 AM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13605
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
I'll have to do that if and when I start up a D&D game: recruit players first to form a group and then go from there. I'd have to focus on expectations and the general theme. The funny thing is that I just thought up a good first mini-adventure.

Last edited by girlplay; Oct 21st, 2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 06:49 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2586
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Cool

When the SHTF, clean the fan.

The play-by-post system normally relies on “the game.” Tabletop role playing groups normally rely on “gaming.” When RL issues rear their head in PBP, there often comes a time for players and GMs alike to be stuck with the situation that they are really not sure how to pick up where they left off, especially if enough time has passed to make it awkward. So people ghost, or flake, or faithfully announce that things just aren’t gonna happen.

In tabletop groups, if someone has to be absent for awhile, someone else runs a different game in the meantime and player/GM 1 picks up their game the following week, or whenever time permits. No shame, no guilt, no worry, just roll with it. Role with it? At least, that is how it used to work for us.

My most famous words as a GM are probably, “I don’t have anything prepared, but...” And then we ran the game and there was much rejoicing (and intrigue, I love intrigue.) around the table.

The same process can work for PBP if you go a little meta. Establish your group of player GMs. Have each one running a game, anything from Earthdawn to Paranoia. When a player or GM can’t dedicate the time and energy for one game for a bit, the group keeps rolling right along with whatever game or games don’t feel the sting of the hiatus.

As an added bonus with PBP, you don’t have to just do a fill in game of one type. You can have a number of games running within the group at different post rates. This can be done under one umbrella (all games in one forum) or multiple umbrellas (each game in its own forum). All you need is a dedicated “guild” of player/GMs who are willing to maintain communication and use the proposed system of focusing on “gaming” rather than “the game.”

My two. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Classic Gamer; Oct 21st, 2020 at 06:51 PM.