Shadowrun Shadowrun [5E]: The Right Hand of G.O.D. - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 02:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1092
orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum
Shadowrun [5E]: The Right Hand of G.O.D.

This is a Shadowrun campaign set in the current time with 5E, however, it will be exploring the Cyberpunk mythos from the top-down rather than from the bottom up. Rather than the outsiders and individuals facing off against the monolithic corporations in an attempt to scratch a living from what remains or to even tear them down, the players will be at the top of the monolith looking down struggling to keep it and the society that rests upon it from crumbling. This will be a mature game in every sense of the word, where characters will be challenged by moral and ethical issues just as badly as any combat or puzzle.

The party will be employed by the Corporate Council through the Grid Oversight Division and will comprise the ninth team of the Right Hand; a special operations task force that handles any matters related to, but outside the Matrix where their hackers and administrators cannot reach. As a result, the characters should be knowledgeable about the Matrix and be able to talk the talk, but they are needed to fill roles other than hackers, who all get to stay back at the office enclave. The game will start with some softball missions to get everyone settled into the game, but a larger narrative will begin to unravel. The team will need to be able to perform investigations, combat, and support for the Matrix administrators in any way that access through the Matrix does not encompass. As a result the characters should meet a balance of being confident in their role while also being well rounded.

I will be running this game on this site but will augment it with a Discord server as well to facilitate rapid communications which are less substantial or inappropriate/disruptive as a forum post. Participation in the Discord server is not required but certainly encouraged. I am asking for initial character concepts with the intention of sitting everyone down and do a final polish on characters together so that the end result is closer to a honed team rather than a gaggle of individuals. I will be looking for six to eight players to account for the inevitable PBP player bleed. I am seeking players who can commit to base knowledge of the game/setting, a minimum of two weekly posts, and have thoughtful contributions to the scene and narrative while actively reacting to and engaging previous posts.

Provide the following in a FIELDSET labeled "Applicant Bio", then below that provide a sample post highlighting your character in a FIELDSET labeled "Writing Sample".

Applicant Bio
Name: Character's Name / Callsign
Race: Character's Metatype
Sex: The Character's Sex
Specialization: The role or archetype they serve in the unit
Corporate Sponsor: A member of the Corporate Court
Description: One Paragraph; a photo is also encouraged.
Personality: One Paragraph
Background: Three to Five Paragraphs
Story Hook: Describe the sort of personal spotlight story you would like to experience with this character.

Writing Sample
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Character Creation Mechanics
- Prime Runner
- No Technomancers (Corporations still want to experiment on them like rats)
- Apply SINner (Corporate SIN) 25 at no karma credit/cost and this does not count towards the maximum budget
- Apply Trustfund 20 at no karma credit/cost and this does not count towards the maximum budget

I will allow for two weeks to ask questions and submit concepts before I close down the submissions and select the final team of players. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through all of this and the hard work that I know will be put into each character submitted.

Sources of Inspiration

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG OP

New Dominion Tank Police Intro [HD]

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1

Neo Tokyo - Cyberpunk Mix

Questions and Answers
Shadowrun Rules Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherwolf View Post
Honestly this sounds like a great idea.

To clarify, we don't need to be deckers/hackers per se. We just need to know the ins and outs of the matrix and how it works?
Correct. The Hackers/Deckers will be enjoying an air-conditioned office environment and will be provided as npcs. The characters are there to do the leg work. That being said, this doesn't prevent you from making a hacker/decker, but then it will be your responsibility to highlight why they are on a deployment team and how they are an asset to that team when a matrix admin is just a call away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyfox View Post
Hrm. I am interested. I will have to ponder some character ideas and see what I can come up with. Erm, is there any sort of penalty if we go over the paragraph limits, or is that just a minimum?
Strictly speaking? No - those are just guidelines. But please don't go crazy - I don't know how many applications I will need to be able to review.

Last edited by orichulum; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 02:43 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1010
UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord
I'm curious about why the game says it will use the Pathfinder game system. Is this a personal hack, or some kind of conversion will be in use? I'm leaning no based on what you outline in character creation, but figured I'd ask to clarify.

Returned!
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 02:53 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37945
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Moderator Note-system in thread title changed from Pathfinder 1e to Shadowrun. This doesn't affect the placement of game forum
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 02:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
That was a misclick when submitting the ad which has been corrected. To clarify:

- The game will be run in Shadowrun 5E.
- The setting's meta timeline will be in line with the 5E core book.
- Only the core book is required, but all 5E publications are allowed.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 04:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 649
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf

To clarify, we don't need to be deckers/hackers per se. We just need to know the ins and outs of the matrix and how it works?
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 08:18 AM
CommSupp/Kitsunemimi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Alyfox Alyfox Alyfox
Hrm. I am interested. I will have to ponder some character ideas and see what I can come up with. Erm, is there any sort of penalty if we go over the paragraph limits, or is that just a minimum?
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 10:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherwolf View Post

Correct. The Hackers/Deckers will be enjoying an air-conditioned office environment and will be provided as npcs. The characters are there to do the leg work. That being said, this doesn't prevent you from making a hacker/decker, but then it will be your responsibility to highlight why they are on a deployment team and how they are an asset to that team when a matrix admin is just a call away.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 10:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyfox View Post
Strictly speaking? No - those are just guidelines. But please don't go crazy - I don't know how many applications I will need to be able to review.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 11:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I already added this link to my Q&A section, but it bears repeating: Here is a link to our Shadowrun Rules Questions Thread

Last edited by orichulum; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 11:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4044
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Applicant Bio
left-aligned image
Name: Jimmy Estevez / "Paladin"
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Specialization: Melee/Alchemy/Face
Corporate Sponsor: Saeder-Krupp
Description: Jimmy is a solidly-built Hispanic man in his early 20s. Always quick with a friendly smile, he's rarely seen without a crucifix necklace around his neck. When deployed on missions, he wields a riot shield and a steel mace that hums with magical energy.
Personality: Jimmy is always making friends wherever he goes, and is quick with a joke or an encouraging comment. When alone, he spends much of his time in study, both of his alchemy and the scriptures, as well as praying for the souls of those he's faced in battle, dead or alive.

Background: Jimmy grew up in Saeder-Krupp, with both his parents working as low-level wageslaves. He got into a lot of trouble as a kid, especially as he discovered he was Awakened and he began to tinker with alchemy. Eventually his mother reported his talent to the company, over the wishes of his more conservative father, and he was drafted into an intense training program away from his parents.

The discipline ended up being good for him, and he quickly impressed his teachers. Due to the encouragement of a Muslim classmate, he also reconnected to his parents' Catholic faith, and began looking for ways to use his talents for good. With his skills, it didn't take long for him to get assigned to security work, and eventually an HTR team.

Jimmy loved security work, and the opportunity it gave him to protect people and stop criminals. He gained a reputation for getting targets to surrender rather than using force. Eventually he rose up the ranks high enough that he was able to get in parents into more comfortable lodgings, although he rarely got to visit them. Getting assigned to work for G.O.D. and the Corporate Court was a huge validation of all the work he'd put into his career.

Story Hook: As a patriotic Saeder-Krupp company man, Jimmy thinks he's doing the Lord's work by maintaining law and order. But as he learns more of what goes on behind the scenes, he faces a conflict between his morals and the Corp he's sworn to serve.

Writing SampleJimmy stood silently by the door, waiting for the signal that the security spider had disabled the rogue decker's security alarms. Sweat trickled down his neck, and he nervously shifted the weight of his mace in his hand. Intel said that he was alone, but you only needed bad intel once to end up full of holes.

Alarms are cleared, came the message. Locks are down. Paladin, you are a go.

Jimmy gripped his mace tighter, then whispered a brief incantation. "Loricam iustitiae". Mana energy surged from one of the amulets around his neck, draping him with magical protection. Then in one swift movement, he threw the door open and rushed into the run-down tenement.

The decker wasn't alone. No sooner than he stepped in the room, a trio of bullets thwacked into his riot shield, coming from an Ares Alpha wielded by some ork thug. The impact threw off his balance for a brief moment, but the assault rifle didn't have the power to penetrate his shield, augmented as it was with alchemy. Before the ork could get off another shot, Jimmy had closed the gap and deflected the gun to the side, pinned down by his shield. Out of the corner of his eye, Jimmy could see the scrawny little elf decker cowering in the corner.

"I could cave your skull in without a problem, but I don't want to. Stand down, and you'll have a fair trial; make a move, and your story ends right here, right now, along with your friend's."

The ork's eyes darted around for a second, scanning for vulnerabilities. Without a word, the ork pushed Jimmy away with inhuman force, twisting the shield from his grip. Before he could react, another volley of shots rang out, this time hitting him square in the torso. The trauma plates did their job, but the impact hit like a sledgehammer, and he knew he'd be bruised by the time he got back to base. Jimmy came back swinging, his enchanted mace practically singing as it struck the ork's cyberarm. The thug must have not been expecting the magical enhancements, because he yelped in shock as a crack appeared in his arm's chrome surface.

More shots fired wildly, spattering the wall and ceiling, but Jimmy pressed the offensive and struck the ork another two times, until the final impact made him go limp. The decker made a dash for the door, but with a whisper of "Scutum fidei", he ran into a translucent wall of force instead, knocking himself unconscious.

"Paladin requesting exfil with two unconscious suspects."

Last edited by RainyDayNinja; Oct 27th, 2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 01:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 456
Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles Arialles
I'm interested! (Although sad you're not using 6E as I'm just getting my head round that... ), will try and post a bio after the weekend
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 02:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 279
Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm
Just picked up 6e myself and I like the streamlining they have done. I do believe I shall try and put something together for this as well.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 05:53 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1010
UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord
Alright I'm all-in. Playing for the corporations has been a lifelong dream. I'll return with an application sometime this weekend.

Returned!
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 06:16 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13000
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Sounds fun. Putting together an app. Never played at Prime Runner level but could be interesting.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 07:57 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2636
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Applicant Bio
right-aligned image
Name: Randy Mortal/ST0N3R
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Specialization: Utility/Skill Monkey/Hermetic Mage
Corporate Sponsor: Horizon
Description: Randy looks to be in his mid to late 20s. He has long brown hair, soft brown eyes, and usually sports a beard anywhere from stubble to braid worthy. He likes verrrry casual clothes and will only wear shoes when absolutely necessary.
Personality: Kinda sleepy. Kinda funny. Kinda hungry. Smarter than people expect. More down to earth than people would ever imagine. Always happy to help out, especially in scoring good munchies.

Background: Remember that Proto-rock Star from about 30-40 years ago from Canada. The “One Man Boy Band” guy? That was Randy’s dad. Remember that blonde sitcom queen who went on to do all those late night infomercials? That was Randy’s mom. Yeah, he grew up in Cali in the heyday of the rise of the Horizon corporation when they were buying up the contracts for every B list celebrity on the planet and using them to sell everything from retro music collections, to vegan dog food, to accidental overdose insurance.

So Randy grew up on “The Scene” thanks to the connections of his parents and the Horizon corporation. He got to rub elbows with all those rich Cali celebrity kids. Remember that reality show where the one celebrity offspring did a tour of rehab facilities, getting kicked out of each one? Yeah, Randy dated her sister.

What’s his talent? Being wasted. But they say he is really smart, even when stoned off his asteroid. He has journeyman skills in about 20 different subjects and they say he is a killer chemist. Remember that Buddy Blue smoke that was making all the rounds at parties two summers ago? They say Randy concocted all of that. Word is that Horizon has invested some major Nuyen in his education, and have him under contract until doomsday. When he finally blossoms, they want to cash in on his success.

Story Hook: Conspiracies, man. That’s what’s going on. We are talking shadow corporations, secret governments, and criminal organizations all scratching each other’s backs while not even some of the top board members know what is going down. I wanna Scooby Doo my way through as much real, hidden information as possible.

Writing Sample It was sometime in the afternoon when Randy heard the song that played whenever someone used the doorbell to his corporately provided abode.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...91MSNtrBp6Rwtb

Afternoon was a strange time for visitors, so Randy rubbed the sleep from his eyes and crawled out of his waterbed. Luckily, it was one of the nights that Randy has chosen to sleep with his clothing on. So in a pile of wrinkles and bed head, Randy shambled to the door. Randy swung the door open without looking to see who it was and shuffled his way into the kitchen. Once there, he poured himself a large glass of orange juice, added a splash of triple sec orange liqueur, and lit himself a cigarette.

Filing through his door came the entire runner team. They had been out all night on a mission and were just now returning. Randy wasn’t tasked for the mission so he had spent the night testing his water pipes. Not the ones that provided water to his building, but the ones that provided smoke to his lungs.

“Fraggin’ drek, guys. Come in and grab some couch.“ Randy always talked as if he were trying to inhale while he talked. Maybe out of habit. Some of the team began to doff armor and stow away their guns while others just plopped down as they were. Randy’s place, or The Pad as he called it, had become the unofficial gathering place for the team. Mainly because Randy always kept the place stocked with food, booze, and...medicinal supplies.

Even at that moment, Randy was rustling through his recipe box. Whereas most recipe boxes contained instructions for how to prepare meals, Randy’s recipe box contained take out and delivery menus. Finding what the was looking for, Randy dutifully handed out a menu to each one of his team members.

“Looks like you chumlies had a rough one. Which means that I missed out on all the fun again.” Randy glanced at his chronometer which was again displaying the time in Brussels for some reason. “We can do...brunch. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever you want. That Happy Haterz Diner and Deli place serves everything at all hours. And I could really go for a pastrami pizza. Take your time and decide and then I can place the order. Now, tell me, what happened?”

Last edited by Classic Gamer; Nov 4th, 2020 at 07:02 AM.