twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 02:09 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27606
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Meet the Judges

This year, we have 6 fabulously talented judges, and one GM of questionable credibility.

Each judge will introduce themselves and give you an idea of what they are looking for. I have asked our judges this year to score each participant for every round using the following matrix:
  • Enjoyability and Creativity - 10 points (How well did you like the content)
  • Clarity, Formatting, and Technical - 10 points (Was the post clear, easy to follow, Used these system rules correctly)
  • Grammar and Writing - 10 points (No obvious spelling errors or grammatical blunders, how was the quality of writing?)
  • Moved the Plot / Acted true to Character - 10 points (Did posts move things forward, and fit the theme of the character doing them?)

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 02:11 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27606
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Hi, Bhelogan here! My intent is to NOT judge this year, but just to facilitate the event, GM the rounds, post results, and sell popcorn. Despite that, as the GM, I would just request that you do everything possible in your posts to make my job as easy as possible. The more time I have to write and react to your PC's actions, rather than figuring out what the heck you are doing, the better for you! The Outplay 2021 The System - Play Example has some great posts by rhaiber and Chrystrom that you can use as a measuring stick to see if your formating and organization is up to snuff.

With that, I won't take up any more of your time, but will let the judges introduce themselves.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 02:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18987
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Good day everyone. I'll be one of the judges this year. Thank you for having me.

I've been in the hobby since the early eighties cutting my RPG gaming teeth on D&D and Traveller. I've GM'd every version of DnD and am running several long-term 5e campaigns. My favorite systems are Traveller and TSR's Alternity (bonus points for knowing what that is) and my favorite settings are OTU, Dark*Matter and Star*Drive. I've spent most of my GM time in The Forgotten Realms. I love trying out new game systems that focus on the narrative and player synergy.

As far as my time here on RPGCrossing, I've been around a bit. I'm in the first class of "Hall of Fame" games from 2007 (Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute - which may be one of the longest running campaigns on the site). Some folks might know me from the New Player Solo Games - I support the Traveller, FATE, and 5e threads. I'm not sure how many people I have GM'd in games on this sight (not counting NPSG) but its got to be approaching 100 by now.

As an Outplay Judge, what I am looking for is....

1. A solid understanding of the spirit of the ruleset. This year we are using a generic "rules light" system. I'm looking forward to how you as players will dive into the system and use the mechanics to tell amazing stories.

2. Different and Interesting stories that tale unique approaches to challenges and a focus on the 'rule of awesome.' When interacting with others, I notice posts from players that make others look better rather than 'one-up-manship.'

I'm looking forward to this year's competition!

- Savoy

Last edited by savoylen; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 03:29 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25524
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Hey folks! I'm Retry!!

I partook in last year's 5e competition and am now here to help judge this time around! I have been playing RPGs for around three years now and have spent the vast majority of that time GM'ing here on this wonderful site. Dungeons and Dragons 5e is where I got my start, like many now these days. In the past year I've started branching out to other systems in an almost obsessive search for fun and interesting stories. I also serve as one of the many volunteer New Player Solo GameNPSG GMs tending to both the Dungeons and Dragons 5th EditionDND5e and Call of Cthulhu 7th EditionCoC7e queues. There I try to teach newcomers the in's-and-out of this wonderful addiction hobby we all share!

As a judge I'll be on the lookout for posts that are formatted well and both easy on the eyes and easy to read. Along with seeking out characters that tickle one's curiosity to know more about them without acting as a one-person show.

Best of luck, I look forward to reading what you wonderful folks have to write!
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 04:36 PM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23045
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
left-aligned image
I have been playing D&D, on and off, since the early 80’s. I joined RPGX in 2009, I even still have the old T-shirt. I was the first graduate of the SNOT:WWAD Bachelor of Axe, I have played in several Hall of Fame games, DMed a few games on site, and currently, out of the many great DMs and GMs that help run the New Player Solo GameNPSG’s, some people get stuck with me.

My most recent experience, system wise, revolves around D&D 3.5e and 5e and also Pathfinder 1e and 2e. I love the format of PbP gaming here on RPGX. The rich storytelling and the creative characters that are possible in this format, beats anything else in my book.

As a judge, I’ll be hoping to see the following
  • Clearly written, engaging, and concise posts (unlike this one here). I will have a lot of reading to do, much of it done at the end of a long day on the farm, and if your post is not clearly written, engaging, and concise…I might just fall asleep in my nice..soft..chair…zzzzzz…What?! What?! Oh yeah back to the list.
  • I love interesting characters. Your character doesn’t have to be some wild race or bizarre concept to grab my attention. Even a stereotypical I enjoy dwarfs, maybe because they remind me of myself so much dwarf, played to the hilt of dwarfiness can be fun and engaging.
  • I enjoy out of the box thinking. Sure, you can just smash everything...Hey, when you are a barbarian everything just looks like walking EXP to kill …but it is the kind of thinking that comes at the problem from a different angle that I find most interesting.
  • I am looking for players that absorb what the DM has written, using the information given to the fullest in their posts.
  • I am looking for players who engage with what their fellow players have written and who leave openings in their posts for others to engage them. Be a team player and help the whole group shine.

+

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 06:16 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8062
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Hello all! I'm Homestarbaby!

Yes, really.

I've actually been running games for more years than I'd care to admit. Very familiar with 5e, FATE, L5R, Open Legends, Open Legends, and most of the Powered By Apocalypse games. I currently run a lot of solo games on the forum as well as a couple of group games.

This is my first time judging one of these events, and I am very much looking forward to it! Lots of experience judging Forensics, Speech, Debate, and Theater events though! I'm a big fan of creative thinking, narrative, and character growth. Excited to see what everyone comes up with for this new system!
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 11:13 PM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22077
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Hello all! I am Pianoman90 (Yes I really do play piano - and flute too!)

I have been playing D&D since I was a child, with my dad being my first GM and ADnD 2nd edition being my starting point. First character? Dasarath - a human rogue that played on my initials (DAS). Since then I have become far and away the most familiar with Pathfinder, though I have dabbled in 5e, Call of Cthulhu, Dawn of Worlds, Sol, and a few world-building RPGs that I have sadly forgotten the name of, though I loved at the time!

This is also my first time being on the judges side of the table! What I am looking for:
  • Posts that really drive the action forward, looking for an angle or taking charge of something to help further the end goal of the group. This sort of thing is extremely useful in the written form of the game - it gives other players and the DM plenty to work with.
  • Good grammar and spelling. Last year I ran every post I wrote for the competition through Microsoft Word, and I suggest you do the same, or something very similar. It is a tough competition and missed words, odd spellings or other little slips can sneak in very easily. Let the computer double check!
  • Ideas that develop along the 'rule of cool' spectrum. This is a rules-light set up, and much of what you will be creating in Round 0 for your character will need to be checked by the judges to ensure we understand how your Character and your Signature Moves work. Creative thinking, and a bit of back-and-forth where necessary will allow these ideas to flourish and I am eager to see what is created!

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Update 20/07 - Lockdown at home throwing a spanner in the works...
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 05:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 42023
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Greetings chummers!

You may remember me as the GM of last year's the vastly superior bracket Shadowrun bracket. While there may be no Shadowrun this year, I'm still looking forward to the excellent creative energy I soaked in last year <3

What am I looking for?

TLDR; I want to see something I've never seen before. I want to say, "Wow, I never thought of doing that! I never thought I'd ever see that! " at least once per person per round!

Well, the contest is half mechanical and half roleplay. So, I'll break it down into two parts:

1) Mechanics side, we have a custom, rules-light system for this year, and I want to see you use it to the fullest. What's something you've always wanted to do, but *insert system here* never got it quite right? That's what I want to see! I also would like to see how you make the rules tell the story you want to tell and not the other way around like more restrictive systems sometimes do.

2) Roleplay side, as above, Grappling isn't complicated anymore. Yay!the rules aren't holding you back! I want to see creative, colorful situations! Use that to your advantage to tell a story with your fellow contestants. Last year, my highest marks went to the characters that worked together and did something awesome as a group. Keep that in mind as you build. How will this signature move/spell help me tell an astonishing collaborative story no one has ever seen/heard/read before!

Lastly, remember to have fun! I know it's a competition and all, but if you have fun, we'll have fun too, and then everyone wins! <3
Closed Thread