Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 24th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27556
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021

If you have any rules questions, you can make them here. If your question would involve spoilers of the events in-game (or if you want to keep your concerns away from the prying eyes of other applicants), please put your question under a secret tag, and direct the question at your GM (or one of the GMs of this game forum).

General rules for Outplay 2021Multiple applications: Only 1 application. We are running only 1 system this year.

Reusing Characters: : You may use character concepts that were created for other competitions or games. They will need to be reworked to fit the Outplay 2021 The System rules.

Post edits: In all role-play rounds, you may only edit your post in the hour after its initial post. Posts edited after this window will not be considered by the judges, and may not be granted award points. In Round 0 you may edit your application as much as you want until the deadline.

Dice rolls: All game dice are to be rolled in your game post, and labeled. Any editing of the dice tags after the initial post will result in a big red box invalidating your rolls. (This includes editing the label, so make sure you do that first!) This year, we are not requiring the use of inum, although you may continue to use it if you wish. Do make sure that your rolls are separated out into an OOC Fieldset in your post, rather than part of the role play section. See Outplay 2021 The System - Play Example for examples of what a well-formatted post will look like.

Player vs Player Conflict: PvP will not be allowed. In-character disagreements are acceptable, but in most circumstances deliberately acting in a way intended to stop another character from surviving/succeeding will be heavily penalized. Any potential exceptions to this will be made very clear.

Post Rate During role play rounds (rounds one through four), GM will be updating once a day, every day except for the last day of the round, for each week of play. There are one-week breaks between rounds of play. We expect successful players to post once per GM update.

Scoring: Each individual round this year will have a clear-cut objective, and defined scoring metric, depending on the type of challenge being presented that will account for 50% of a player's score for the round. The other 50% will be comprised of the judges' scores. There may be opportunities for bonus points in each round if certain objectives are met. Each week, a number of players will be eliminated as shown below. The Outplay champion for 2021 will be the player who has the highest score at the end of Round 4.
Outplay 2021 The System:

DMs: Bhelogan (savoylen and Imveros as needed)
Judges: savoylen, pianoman90, Retry, Homestarbaby, Imveros, Chrystrom
Elimination structure: This is a single-elimination tournament, but the elimination structure will allow more players than in the past to continue to the next round.
Round 0: Everyone who would like to participate
Round 1: Round 1: Brackets will be formed with 8 players per group. We will run as many brackets for which we have enough qualified applications to fill.
Round 2: 4 Players per bracket will advance to Round 2
Round 3: 2 Players per bracket will advance to Round 3
Round 4: 1 Player per bracket will advance to Round 4
Competition timeline
Round 0 (applications) open: Friday June 4th to Friday June 25th at 6pm EST

Round 0 Character Sheet Reviews: Friday June 25 to Friday July 2
Adjustments to characters finalized: Saturday July 3 and 4

Round 1 play: Monday July 5 - July 9
Round 1 Judging: July 10 - July 16

Round 2 play: Monday July 19 - July 23
Round 2 Judging: July 24 - July 30

Round 3 play: Monday Aug 2 - 6
Round 3 Judging: Aug 7 -Aug 13

Round 4 play: Monday Aug 16 - Aug 20
Round 4 Judging: Aug 21 - Aug 27
Winner declared by August 31

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 8th, 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old May 24th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
What is outplay? Check out this excellent description from Aethera here.

Q and As to follow:

Q: What types of impacts will Debuff Spells have if the enemies are never rolling? At least I saw no GM rolls in the playtest
A: Yes, the GM does not roll dice with this system. The mechanical impact will depend on the spell. Perhaps the debuff blinds enemies, and prevents them from ever being in combat, or applies some other condition to them, that makes anyone attacking or manipulating them do so with a BONUS. It is very dependant on the spell design.

Q: Should we consider taking non-combat signature moves?
A: At least half of the rounds of this year's event will not contain Combat, so you would do well to have at least one signature move, or spell, that can assist with general adventuring.

Q: Are there limited Spellslots per day that you will have to manage for your KS?
A: Thre are no spell slots, spell points, mana pools, or anything of the like. If you can cast spells, you can cast spells all day long.

Q: Is the number of Cantrips you know limited by the number of spells you know and do Cantrips have to be defined at I saw in the play example that it follows different rules, but I wasn't sure what the limitations are.character creation?
A: You do not need to define your cantrips, there is not a limited number of them available. You decide what the cantrip does as you cast it. If you want to pre-define cantrips for flavor, you can do so, but at the cost of your 500 world limit for the stat block section of your character.

Q: Are Cantrips mere flavour, or will they be allowed to be used for the sake of adding dice to an Outplay Roll?
A: Cantrips are just flavor. They will not impact any die rolls.

Q: Are there any race restrictions if you roll an exotic race character?
A: No restrictions, so long as your character has a reason to be part of the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild.

Q: Is the intended setting constrained to high fantasy concepts, or would Just to be clear, this is obviously not what I'm aiming for myself, but I thought it's a good example to get the point across.Dr. Who be allowed to make an appearance?
A: The setting is the High Fantasy alternate universe, used by D&D in the past. However, the Outplay universe has had alternate dimensions, using Mutants and Masterminds, Shadowrun, and others that are in parallel to this universe. You could very well play a Timelord who is somehow stuck in this existence, or maybe even the ultimate 3rd dimensional guitar hero, defeated by Ziltiod the Omniscient, and banished to this timeline. In any scenario, like with race, the important part is that your character's background gives them a reason to be part of the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild, and striving to solve the friction of the day.

Q: I don't like my Race and CN die rolls, do I have to stick with them?
A: No, you may choose to select your own race and CN, if you don't feel inspired by your rolls. You just forfeit the small bonus for doing so.

Q: If rolling for CN, can we roll 1d4+1, instead of 1d6 with rerolls on 1 or 6? The result should be the same
A: Yes, you can do this if you choose. Someone should have mentioned that to Wishkamon before they had to... oh never mind.

Q: Who and how do we request help for approval of our character's mechanics ahead of the Round 0 Character Sheet Reviews? Would it be secreted questions to you and the outplay judges inside this thread?[/QUOTE]
A: PM me (Bhelogan) with questions. I will be reviewing via PM every application as they are ready, and during the week of reviews before play. Every CM and KN will receive a mechanical review and rework if deemed needed.

Q: Does city <xyz> from previous Outplay's exist in this world? Is it the same setting?
A: Some of those settings were destroyed at the end of their respective Outplay's events. There is a good chance though that a parallel dimensional equivalent to city <xyz> does exist in this setting, somewhere. This year's setting is the exact same one used for the D&D brackets starting in Outplay Season 9.

Q: How do bonus points work?
A: Each round will list objectives that may be achieved, and bonus points given for them. In Round 0, this is 1 point for using a randomly rolled race, and 1 for using a randomly rolled CN. These points will be added to the judges scores. A judge has 40 points to assign, shown in the matrix in the Meet the Judges thread. Thus, 1 bonus point is roughly 2.5%. (As the GM, I will add the bonus points to the judges scores when they are being tallied)

Q: How long has the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild been around?
A: This year's competition runs in parallel to last year's, which was about a year after the 9 found their new member. So, Adventuring Guilds have really been blooming over the last year. Of course, the CCAG could have been around a lot longer than that, just it has seen growth during this time too.

Q: Do I need to list specifically what my adventuring gear does?
A: A piece of Adventuring Gear is just something your character knows how to use well. You do NOT need to define mechanics for it, or list the special cases where it can be used. Anything you do during the adventure that uses the piece of gear benefits from the 1d6. For example - if my character has a Well Trained Duck as a piece of adventuring gear, I can just describe what it is, and maybe list a few tricks it has been taught. In play, if I choose to use the duck to cause a distraction, to impress a merchant to give up information, or trick a guard into thinking he is going crazy, these are all things using the duck that would get the extra roll. I don't have to list those use cases in the mechanics section though.

Q: Do I have to specify which piece of Adventuring Gear a Signature Move uses?
A: Signature Moves will always use at least one piece of adventuring gear. If it makes sense, could potentially be done with any piece of Signature Gear you have. For example, if you had two different types of weapons, and the signature move was a special over-head attack, you could potentially do it using either one.

Q: Can I benefit from using multiple pieces of Signature Gear during an action?
A: No. You can certainly use multiple pieces narratively, if that makes sense, but you only gain the 1d6 benefit once per action.

Q: Can you cast 'unknown' spells, using only 2d6?
A: No. You can only cast your known spells and cantrips that have no mechanical effect.

Q: The examples of a weapon, armor, lockpicks, ropes, orb, spellbook, magic wand, talisman necklace, holy symbol, trained duck, and baseball bat are all things that could be lost in the narrative. A duck could be eaten, a spellbook could be confiscated, or a wand could be broken. The implication seems to be that they are separate, losable items. The magical tattoos caught me off guard. I guess they could be removed, but the process would be fairly extreme. Tattoos are fairly intrinsic to the body... so then could a Monk's 'Iron Fists' or 'Catlike Reflexes' be considered gear? Could they then be paired with signature moves, like shattering items or catching and returning arrows? What about a harpy's wings? They don't strike me as a 'signature move', but perhaps a bit too useful to get as simply a 'Racial Characteristic'... as I get the impression that those would fall under the 'roleplay/thematic effects only' category.
A: The Gear needs to be a physical thing, not a body part. Yes, a tattoo could be argued to be part of the body, but it is something you intentionally picked up, similar to a piercing. Your Fists would not be considered adventuring gear, as it is part of your body. But, perhaps you have Muay Thai Hand-Wraps that could be. Harpy's Wings also fall into this category. (If your exotic race can fly, then you can fly. That isn't going to break the narrative or be problematic with this years event) 'Catlike Reflexes' is something you physically do, so could be a signature move. But it isn't adventuring gear.

Q: Do Signature Moves and Known Spell descriptions count towards the 500 word limit on your stat block?
A: Yes they do. There was an editing mistake that said they were exempt. This has been corrected.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 10th, 2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 05:08 AM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5112
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Q: Are there limited Spellslots per day that you will have to manage for your KS?

Q: Is the number of Cantrips you know limited by the number of spells you know and do Cantrips have to be defined at I saw in the play example that it follows different rules, but I wasn't sure what the limitations are.character creation?

Q: Are Cantrips mere flavour, or will they be allowed to be used for the sake of adding dice to an Outplay Roll?

Q: Are there any race restrictions if you roll an exotic race character?

Q: Is the intended setting constrained to high fantasy concepts, or would Just to be clear, this is obviously not what I'm aiming for myself, but I thought it's a good example to get the point across.Dr. Who be allowed to make an appearance?

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 4th, 2021 at 05:13 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@Mindsiege - Great questions! Answers are above.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 11:43 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19072
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
If rolling for CN, can we roll 1d4+1, instead of 1d6 with rerolls on 1 or 6? The result should be the same
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, 1d4+1 will give the same result. So would round((4d100+100)/100). You are free to choose your level of complexity or ease with this one.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5112
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Q: Who and how do we request help for approval of our character's mechanics ahead of the Round 0 Character Sheet Reviews? Would it be secreted questions to you and the outplay judges inside this thread?

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 4th, 2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
Q: Who and how do we request help for approval of our character's mechanics ahead of the Round 0 Character Sheet Reviews? Would it be secreted questions to you and the outplay judges inside this thread?
PM me with questions. I will be reviewing via PM every application as they are ready, and during the week of reviews before play. Every CM and KN will receive a mechanical review and rework if deemed needed.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 12:16 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11790
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
For round 0, you get 1 point for using a randomly rolled race, and 1 for a randomly rolled CN.
so there are 2 bonus points available in round 0. 1 for each random generator. How many regular points are there? 10? 100?

If I forgo the randomness I'd like to know how bad it'll hurt. I might not be fazed by .9% but an 8% will hurt. Plus, I was both looking forward to my potential Character and the using the generator so I'm already torn

Last edited by Qiksilv; Jun 5th, 2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
The matrix for judges has 40 points available. So 1 point is roughly 2.5%
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8040
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Are there any limitations to the roles we can take in the guild, and how long has the CC been functioning at this point? (as in how long could we potentialy have been with them?)

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jun 8th, 2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
This year's competition runs in parallel to last year's, which was about a year after the 9 found their new member. So, Adventuring Guilds have really been blooming over the last year. Of course, the CCAG could have been around a lot longer than that, just it has seen growth during this time too.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:16 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1605
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
Can a spell caster use 'unknown spells' in a pinch? For example... could a person without a 'known' healing spell use their spell focus to cast one anyway, using two d6 instead of three?

I also have a question about the Adventuring Gear. The examples of a weapon, armor, lockpicks, ropes, orb, spellbook, magic wand, talisman necklace, holy symbol, trained duck, and baseball bat are all things that could be lost in the narrative. A duck could be eaten, a spellbook could be confiscated, or a wand could be broken. The implication seems to be that they are separate, losable items. The magical tattoos caught me off guard. I guess they could be removed, but the process would be fairly extreme. Tattoos are fairly intrinsic to the body... so then could a Monk's 'Iron Fists' or 'Catlike Reflexes' be considered gear? Could they then be paired with signature moves, like shattering items or catching and returning arrows? What about a harpy's wings? They don't strike me as a 'signature move', but perhaps a bit too useful to get as simply a 'Racial Characteristic'... as I get the impression that those would fall under the 'roleplay/thematic effects only' category.

I have to say that I adore the system that's been cooked up. It seems like it will really support the strengths of a narrative-focused game.

Last edited by JustSomeGuy; Jun 10th, 2021 at 03:48 AM. Reason: added follow up questions to avoid a double-post
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Can a spell caster use 'unknown spells' in a pinch? For example... could a person without a 'known' healing spell use their spell focus to cast one anyway, using two d6 instead of three?
No. You can only cast your known spells and cantrips that have no mechanical effect.

During playtesting we initially tried to make a distinction between known and 'unknown' spells, but we ended up with too much back and forth between the GM and player before a spell could be cast correctly. So, we decided it was not a good fit for Outplay, and are sticking with spells that have set mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
I also have a question about the Adventuring Gear. The examples of a weapon, armor, lockpicks, ropes, orb, spellbook, magic wand, talisman necklace, holy symbol, trained duck, and baseball bat are all things that could be lost in the narrative. A duck could be eaten, a spellbook could be confiscated, or a wand could be broken. The implication seems to be that they are separate, losable items. The magical tattoos caught me off guard. I guess they could be removed, but the process would be fairly extreme. Tattoos are fairly intrinsic to the body... so then could a Monk's 'Iron Fists' or 'Catlike Reflexes' be considered gear? Could they then be paired with signature moves, like shattering items or catching and returning arrows? What about a harpy's wings? They don't strike me as a 'signature move', but perhaps a bit too useful to get as simply a 'Racial Characteristic'... as I get the impression that those would fall under the 'roleplay/thematic effects only' category.
The Gear needs to be a physical thing, not a body part. Yes, a tattoo could be argued to be part of the body, but it is something you intentionally picked up, similar to a piercing. Your Fists would not be considered adventuring gear, as it is part of your body. But, perhaps you have Muay Thai Hand-Wraps that could be. Harpy's Wings also fall into this category. (If your exotic race can fly, then you can fly. That isn't going to break the narrative or be problematic with this years event) 'Catlike Reflexes' is something you physically do, so could be a signature move. But it isn't adventuring gear.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 08:36 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11790
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
In the example a character has a piece of armor (mithril gauntlet) listed as an AG. Does armor reduce damage taken or would I have to find an atypical usage of armor for to be useful (like as a mirror against Medusa)?

You said cantrips can summon/create some objects. Would that include things like ropes, ladders, buckets, water, torches, etc or is it more limited?

Last edited by Qiksilv; Jun 10th, 2021 at 08:37 AM.