RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15037
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
What I've read of the setting it seems like they're going for a bit more of a realistic approach to powers. Obviously not my call, but it seems like you'd want to do something like your character actually has the ability to convert chemical potential energy into kinetic energy, which works best with food items because they're objects who have relatively high amounts of chemical energy that's relatively easy to convert. They may start with lunch meat but it builds from there with practice.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1403
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
GleefulNihilism has it about right. A fairly realistic approach to powers does appear to be the goal for the setting. While I'm not automatically saying NO to the lunchmeats idea, it seems like that would be just one branch of potential for a power, not the core power in and of itself.

Gleeful also has a good explanation in the conversion of potential chemical energy to kinetic energy. That's a good baseline and can work with more than just food if you know what you're doing.

As a note... There is an example of a character who used a very specific kind of item for multiple effects in the books. A person who took on the features of certain bugs that he ate, to great effect. So it IS possible to work with a very specific set of objects like lunchmeats if that's the path you want to take.

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 01-13-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
I'll start offering up feedback come next week. I wanna give people time to streamline their concepts and expound upon things on their own before I start poking and prodding and seeing what parts should be shored up a little more. I'll also let people know who they'd be most likely to intern under -- or ask them who they'd rather intern under in the event that they have more than one option for some reason.

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 01-13-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
OOo! Feeback! Yummy.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:08 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12548
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Riptide
left-aligned image

Character Name: Marina Diaz
Hero Name: Riptide
Power: Hydrokinesis combined with several aquatic adaptions
College: West Private University in Orlando, Florida
Major: Ranged combat

Last edited by PalladiaMors; 02-07-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 689
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Whoo! I look forward to feedback!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4261
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Split Second would like to argue that if you think time doesn't heal all wounds, then you are clearly not using enough of it...
(Like violence solving all problems)
Or time wounds all heels.

To the lunchmeats guy. Inspired by the Batman villain the Condiment King are we?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Panda View Post
GleefulNihilism has it about right. A fairly realistic approach to powers does appear to be the goal for the setting.

Maybe I'll cut out the metamorphosis... And Animal Communication.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11082
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Not necessarily.

Cursory glance through the wiki has shown at least one perfect metamorph (right down to mimicking their superpower) and multiple references to psychics. That puts those powers well within the realm of realistic for this setting.

You just need a unifying 'power set' that explains it. Which puts me in mind of Beast Boy who, depending on which version of him you're working with, had a connecting to an underlying force of existence that linked all animal life on a planet together. You could have something like that, albeit barely controlled (and thus you're always in the form that's most comfortable to your body, vulpine humanoid). Your family could be reincarnated fox spirits, your 'power' not so much intrinsically related to foxes but actually your ability to imprint your will onto your body (the most natural form of which is vulpine). And so on.

And that's even assuming you know, in character, what your underlying power set is. I doubt they have a machine that scans you and gives a read-out of your power's functions and limitations. In many super fictions a hero discovers some new trick they can do from applying their power in a way they never thought of before, or realizes the true strength of some odd thing they were always able to do once they understand how it's merely an extension of another skill they've already refined through some other power.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AximusLokar View Post
Not necessarily.
I doubt they have a machine that scans you and gives a read-out of your power's functions and limitations.
I can honestly say that they do not. Power limitations are usually discovered either in the HCP or later on in a hero's career.

The goal isn't to severely limit you, but it is definitely to have your powers linked to a conceptual powerset. A person with 'Fire powers' might be able to superheat their body or throw fireballs, or even become living flame, and that would all fit in with their core power.

Try not to create powers that don't directly pertain to your core power in some way -- not without tech, at least. Devices are an exception, though they should usually be used to complement your primary abilities.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Looking at your concept, Marshmallow, I don't see why your powers in their current form couldn't work. They all seem to tie into a central 'Fox' theme.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Oh, thought it might be slightly problematic if the setting lends itself more towards realistic powers, though I am looking into what sensory powers would work for her currently.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Realistic in how it feels, not what it is exactly.

I read a cliff notes version. The official stories have a Gravity Manipulator. As a Physicist, I have to a respond with a "Sweet Mercy of Mary and All of Her Wacky Nephews!", but the feels is treated semi-realistic.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 850
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Wait, so this takes a more silver age approach to powers? Oh man, was I stressing too much. I'll have an app up shortly.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
I was interpreting it as less Silver Age as just Not-Doom Patrol.

Which could be awesome in it's own right, granted.