Other SWN:R Thora Alpha: An unexpected adventure - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2020, 08:59 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 452
Thofed Thofed Thofed Thofed Thofed
SWN:R Thora Alpha: An unexpected adventure

Thora Alpha: An unexpected adventure

A Stars Without Number: Revised game

PrologueThe ships hatch slowly opens amid a puff of pneumatic steam. The quiet of the docking bay is broken by a squeaky wheel as the gurney is wheeled down the ships ramp. No one gave the figure groggily moving under a blue sheet a second look as it made its way through the sliding doors.

A scream echos off the walls of the nail shaped station cut short as the door latches closed with a deep thump. A guard shifts as he leans against the wall fingering the safety on his laser rifle, eyes darting left and right at random. His eyes finally settle on an armored woman across the bay, taking a deep breath as he clenches his jaw.

You blink, becoming aware of your surroundings. The silence contrasts starkly with the red flashing lights that give the only illumination, how did you get here?
Theme and flavor At the start, this game will have elements of mystery and horror, after the initial “act” the game will be a more traditional SWN game and be player driven as to what they do. The player decisions will impact the sector but will not be the only impact on what factions do.

One key note is that, at the start, each player will be completely alone without any equipment. Additionally, SWN is a game where death can happen quickly and I will be letting the virtual dice lie where they land.

This game will be slightly slanted toward the role play over roll play. I will be trying to keep close to the SWN: revised rule set available for free from RPGdrivethrough HERE
AdminPost rate: ~3-5 per week
Accepting applications through 18Oct20 (as of now)

Link to rules quick refrence (thanks to HatsuSama): HERE

Sector information

Characters will start in the Treaty space

Sector Refrence
Read as needed, will be available throughout game

THORUNN (0702)
-Sal-

-Bazar-

RAN (0703)
-Jorg-

-Scaribo-

KHAM (0704)
-Gunn-

RAFQUAT (0602)
-Dah-

ApplicationYou do not need to build the crunch of the character for the application, if you want to, that’s fine, it’s just not required!

Name: What’s in a name

Brief description: Quick description on what others see when looking at your character. Doesn’t need to be an anatomical description (is standing 5ft 7.75 in with 12in of brown hair).

Character concept: A few sentences on who your character is and how they would fit in with a group.

History & homeworld/system: Where is your character from? Or are they a spacer that has been in space and on ships as long as they can remember? What happened before the story? Basic background stuff. I will be adding information on systems and worlds presently

Friends: Who is a friend to your character, what’s the relationship, why are they a friend?

Enemies: same as friend but... opposite(ish). What is the enemies motivation?

Character motivation/goals: what does your character want?

Player goals/wants: what are you looking for in the game?

Character creationDO NOT ROLL IN THIS THREAD

Character sheets are not required for an application but providing the below for reference

Attributes: Array (14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 7)
Background: any in the book or discuss with me if one doesn’t fit (choose or roll, just not here)
Class: Warrior, Expert, Psychic, Adventurer

Last edited by Thofed; Oct 14th, 2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 12:02 PM
The sweet-faced one

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5368
orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane
Very exciting!

Application in-progress.

Name: Leus

Brief description: E is young, with dark hair that reaches out in every direction. The lightweight canvas pants and the baggy black tunic give no indication to es profession, other than to signal that e is certainly not part any uniformed or on-duty crew related to es current surroundings. An observant person might notice the peculiar loops-within-loops charm that lightly dangles from es cloth wristband. A specifically-learned individual might recognize that symbol as an "Intricacy" - the holy emblem of the Pursuance religious order.

Character concept:

History & homeworld/system:

Friends:

Enemies:

Character motivation/goals:

Player goals/wants:

Last edited by orcbane; Oct 9th, 2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the interest, I’m pretty excited too!

I’ve been trying to add some detail to the systems to give a flavor for what they are like. If you want to know more or have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks again and hope all is well!
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 06:26 PM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 754
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
I just downloaded the rulebook, looks interesting. I will try to come up with a character concept soon.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 08:15 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6400
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
As (possibly?) the only other SWN GM on-site, stepping in to give this a plug.

To those on the fence; SWN's a pretty easy system to get a general idea of. A lot of the bones are similar to D&D, especially its older roots. You'll be rolling 2d6 instead of d20 most of the time and the modifiers are a lot smaller, but otherwise you'll be in familiar enough terrain that it's worth a go if you want some scrappy sci-fi adventures.

I'm very tempted to apply myself but the posting rate's a little heavier than I can reasonably manage at the moment. Definitely hoping this does well though.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 09:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
As (possibly?) the only other SWN GM on-site, stepping in to give this a plug.

...I'm very tempted to apply myself but the posting rate's a little heavier than I can reasonably manage at the moment. Definitely hoping this does well though.
Thanks for the plug! I do really like the system because of the ease to get into. As for the workload, I don’t know how you keep it all going with your current load. I am planning on having this as my only thing for a while (very conscious of overcommitting).

Also, welcome HalcyonRhys! Let me know if you u have any questions about the mechanics or setting (SWN or this sector).
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 09:56 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6400
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thofed View Post
Thanks for the plug! I do really like the system because of the ease to get into. As for the workload, I don’t know how you keep it all going with your current load. I am planning on having this as my only thing for a while (very conscious of overcommitting).
Working from home + high-level quarantine lockdown in my city do wonders for one's posting rate.

But yes, overcommitting is a very easy pit to fall into. Knowing your limits is important.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 12:17 AM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
Fernando Santos

Name: Fernando Santos

Brief description: He wipes the sweat from his brow with a rag, tucking it back into the back pocket of his jumpsuit. Taking a moment to gauge his progress so far, he runs a hand through his dark hair and goes back to work. Lowering his goggles, he goes back to what he was doing. When the wires in the harness are all soldered into place, he inserts the power core and sets about closing it up.

He cleans it up with the rag and hefts the newly repaired laser pistol, dark eye staring down the iron sights for just a moment before setting it back down on the workbench.

Now that he is done, he walks over to his locker and throws the battered door open. Goggles are hung within and gloves set neatly on the shelf. A quick glance in the scratched mirror forces him to look away again.

I should get rid of that damned mirror…

He stares blankly at the inside of the locker for a moment.

No, I should just get used to seeing myself like this… I’ll be this way for the rest of my life.

Fernando turns back and deliberately stares into mirror and runs a finger down the recent, yet familiar scar running down his weathered left cheek, tracing the jagged line from just below his eye, all the way down to his chin.

Too bad there wasn’t a medic handy.

No! He berates himself. There is no reason to rue the past. What is done, can’t be undone.

Character concept: Fernando is a fixer. If anything breaks, he almost obsessively tries to fix it. In a group, he is rather unassuming, doesn’t immediately draw the eye, but he always has a laser pistol handy in case things go south, and he can be relied on to do whatever needs to be done.

History & home-world/system: The small mining colony of Gryphon is on a rocky, desert moon rich with ores. It had subsisted there for decades, even thriving from the rich ores present in the soil. That all dried up when Fernando was a kid, and the citizens began to focus more on scrap, scavenging what they could from unused structures in the area.

Fernando spent most of his life on the remote planetary colony, living the meager existence offered there. Life in the slums didn’t offer many opportunities, but Fernando did what he could to make money for his family. He found out early that he had the knack of repairing things, and soon the ragged people of Gryphon began bringing him things in need of repair.

Whatever scrap was left over, he used to make things, practice his talent in a different way. The townsfolk were astonished the day he set up his first makeshift wind turbine, one that provided his home with power for the first time in years. Though he didn’t have any formal training, he continued to provide more and more turbines to the colony until; in his 14th year, the last of the structures had electrical power. Things went well until the summer of his 20th year.

They came in the night like ghosts, and opened fire on the relatively unarmed colonists, leaving only a scattered few alive. The Golden Ring had taken Gryphon by force; so they could have a base in the sector.

The survivors were bent on taking the place back, but Fernando knew they were too strong. Instead, he and his little brother stowed away on a cargo ship bringing food and materials to the Golden Ring, and he remained undetected until it eventually docked at a distant space station; several light years from his home.

Friends: His little brother; Antonio is the only other known survivor of the colony on Gryphon, and is always close to him. The young man is angry, moody and just like Fernando, wants revenge. To this end, he is always practicing with weapons, boxing and really wants to learn martial arts.

Enemies: The Golden Ring. A ruthless band of pirates that took his home colony by force when he was 20. He has vowed to destroy any that he sees, with the same amount of mercy they’d offered the colonists. None.

Character motivation/goals: what does your character want? Fernando is driven towards revenge on the Golden Ring. More than that, he wants to be part of a crew that will allow him to exact his revenge.

Player goals/wants: what are you looking for in the game? As a player, I am looking for a role-playing game to explore the depths of my character, to see how they progress and change through the course of the game.

Old Oct 12th, 2020, 12:26 AM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:

Also, welcome HalcyonRhys! Let me know if you u have any questions about the mechanics or setting (SWN or this sector).
I am just getting into the meat and bones of the system dynamics, but it seems pretty easy to pick up. Normally, I like to build the whole character (even if I am not chosen) so I kind of took some liberty with him coming from a small lunar mining colony, could be anywhere really.

If you have anything else you want or need, don't hesitate to ask.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 09:03 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey, that’s great! We can find a nice moon somewhere for Fernando to come from, I was mostly looking for that so I can Know what more information you might know about a system so well plug him in somewhere. Everything looks good (was looking to make a pirate band so now they have a name)
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 10:26 PM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Hey, that’s great! We can find a nice moon somewhere for Fernando to come from, I was mostly looking for that so I can Know what more information you might know about a system so well plug him in somewhere. Everything looks good (was looking to make a pirate band so now they have a name)
Awesome. Glad it helps!

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I have finished the system information in the main post for the planets listed, again if there are any questions or you want more detail let me know!

I have also added a good overview of the rules that HatsuSama generously provided, they are available HERE

Last edited by Thofed; Oct 13th, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 01:04 PM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
So just to verify. We will not start with any equipment?

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 01:20 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nope you wake up somewhere on the station and don’t have anything or remember much of what went on, though there will be plenty of things lying around...
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 01:52 PM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Nope you wake up somewhere on the station and don’t have anything or remember much of what went on, though there will be plenty of things lying around...
Then luckily, I am Mr. Fixit... I can build stuff from scrap.

Speaking of which. I have been going through the character process. I have my starting skills as:

Human Male; Technician Background (Level 0 Fix Free), Adventurer Class (partial expert/partial warrior), Tinker Foci (+1 to Fix)

Fix – 2 (lvl 0 for technician, level 1 for tinker, level 2 for partial expert)
Shoot – 0 (lvl 0 for partial warrior)
Pilot – 0 (lvl 0 for technician)
Know – 0 (lvl 0 for technician)

Also, rolled a +2 to mental ability (added to wisdom) (technician background)

Does this look right to you?
Closed Thread