Game Thread A Silence at Midnight - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 07:46 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,482
Dice (Lack of) Perception:
1d20-2 (16)-2 Total = 14

Dice Hist/Nat check for gnoll languages:
1d20+4 (9)+4 Total = 13

Bill “the Orog,” Custom Lineage FighterSheet|AC: 17|HP: 13/13|+6/2d6+4|Status: Normal
Heavy Armor Master | Interception Style | Second Wind 1/1|1/1 HD

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Bill wonders at these strange new developments. A lone gnoll, hunting Olin, now itself hunted and voluntarily disarmed. Bill knows he has a shot at the creature now, but it does not seem the right time for violence. "Surrender!" Bill suggests as he continues to advance on the gnoll. What do they speak, again? wonders the erstwhile academic, before trying his offer of peace in Orc, goblin, giant.three different languages.

Battle ActionsRelevant skills and statuses: Heavy Armor Master
Initiative: 10
Movement: 60' toward gnoll, with Dash
Action: Dash
Bonus Action:
Free Action:
Rolls:

 

 

Last edited by secretID; Sep 5th, 2022 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 06:13 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 24th, 2023
RPXP: 4983
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,978
Girgadan
left-aligned image


"So not a dumb bunch them." The Half-Orc reminisces a little about his time soldiering as he did pay attention Might have made a good leader if it wasn't for that other stuff "<Sigh>"

He looks at the rest of the group and where they are positioned. The rock gives a handy reference point for any archers so any attempt to dig in will not end well here. The same rock offers something to back up against but anyone could drop over the top.

Looking back out to Bill and Qijon and then back at Olin "So you can fight hey - thats good. Looks like there's no cover worth having out here and those hunters will be looking to split us up and cut us down. How do you feel about catching up to Bill and Qijon and running them down as a squad?"

He squints and holds his thumb up a little to gauge the distance "There quite a ways off now anyone got any magicy stuff or we just running?"




Actions
Initiative: 14
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Notes:

Perception 14


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.

Last edited by psuedenim; Sep 5th, 2022 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 08:56 PM
KhamLuc's Avatar
KhamLuc KhamLuc is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 2337
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Posts: 2,229
Deamiss Roussoss
right-aligned image


Deamiss low his bow.

"Mmmm Curious, GNoll drop bow. Coward Move or Bait of a group plan.... maybe both US and those hunter are gonna fall in to there field of hunting then light fire to cook US. Deamiss Don't like to Run , it's Bad Omen... Deamiss stay here and wait Gnoll movement... if Gnoll come here... then talk to Gnoll or eat Gnoll"

"Deamiss suggest you all come back. "

He move itself in front of Olin

"First Mission for Deamiss its to bring back Olin alive"

Deamiss look around and away and try to
Dice Perception:
1d20+1 (8)+1 Total = 9
spot something odd with his spider on his shoulder...and ask himself what can be the motivation of the gnoll
Dice Insight with advantage with HELP of familiar:
2d20-1kh1 (14, 3 (keeping 14) )-1 Total = 13
Behavior

"What Fluffy think about gnoll building a spider trap ?!? anhemmm.. do you tink too?"
right-aligned image



 
__________________
Yes ... I'll take the Oath of Sangus ;)

Last edited by KhamLuc; Sep 6th, 2022 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 08:20 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,482
Qijon
left-aligned image

Qijon continues to close on the gnoll.

 
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 08:23 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,482
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
Rhaegalt continues to guard Olin.

 


Last edited by secretID; Sep 7th, 2022 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 05:16 PM
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 6885
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Posts: 1,112
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
As the clouds shift in the sky, the shadows continue to hide and reveal whatóand whoóis out in the field. Seeing multiple arrows streaking through the air all from the same direction sets a lump in Rhaegalt's stomach. They may be running right into mouth of the enemy, and we're just standing back and watching...

As Olin says he feels he can defend himself, it lifts some of the weight off the Half-Elf and gives him the assurance that was needed. "Stay safe," he says with a solemn face to the old man. But as he turns back toward the expanse where the action was, Rhaegalt catches the faintest sounds of footsteps quickly approaching from behind him. "Wait, does anyone else hear that?" Carefully making his way around the stony outcrop, the Paladin begins heading northwest and keeps his Rapier raised in case another threat should present itself.
Perception CheckNat 20!


 

__________________
+ Come join the fun in Tug of War! +
Current Tug of War game- #119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest

Last edited by JaDeX105; Sep 10th, 2022 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 05:01 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 24th, 2023
RPXP: 4983
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,978
Girgadan
left-aligned image


"Now we are properly split it seems best I stay put"

Settling into a more comfortable position on his heels the Barbarian scans the grass tops looking for any additional movement out to the sides. Relaxed but readied, his Javelin in hand, he knew first hand how exhausting the constant tension can be waiting for a fight to start.



Actions
Initiative: 14
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Javelin throw (Atk: 15, Dmg: 7) at an enemy
Notes:

Perception 20


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.

Last edited by psuedenim; Sep 10th, 2022 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Hitmyto's Avatar
Hitmyto Hitmyto is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Posts: 126
Qijon
left-aligned image

"It is a lower lifeform, I do not think it even knows the meaning of surrender. Or self-preservation for that matter." Qijon calls out to Bill. Nonetheless, he lowers his crossbow and takes off at a dash towards the Orog, still quite a ways away from him.

Perception check19

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath

Last edited by Hitmyto; Sep 10th, 2022 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:53 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 24th, 2023
RPXP: 21671
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,952
A Silence at Midnight
left-aligned image
The gnoll's howl rings out, carrying across the meadow, fading into the distance, then faintly echoing back from the distant mountains that border the highland meadow. Bill runs through the low grasses toward where it dived, calling "Surrender!" over and over in four different tongues, while Qijon approaches more cautiously with his bow at the ready. The hunters advance steadily, keeping to their line, and Bill Perception 14barely hears the gnoll snicker as seems to roll in the grass, while faint voices from the hunters carry from far past it. "Nice try." "Have they ever?". The gnoll archer rises again from the grass, now with a crude wooden shield on its left arm and a spear in its right hand, and advances directly toward the Orog.

Girgadan, Deamiss, and Rhaegalt hold their ground, listening as the howl fades. Olin speaks quietly from the shelter of the shield. "Gnolls know their strengths, and have some cleverness in crafting. But beyond that, my experience is that they're fairly stupid." Girgadan and Deamiss Perception of 14 and 9hear nothing, Deamiss Insight 13lost in thought over the meaning of the gnoll's actions. He poses the question to Fluffy and the spider returns a mental message conveying that perhaps the gnoll had underestimated the opposition.

Rhaegalt and Qijon nice perception rolls!catch the sound of faint footsteps padding through the heath from behind the outcrop at the last moment. The paladin rushes past Girgadan to the north end of the outcrop, the artificer spins to face the camp, Girgadan turns to look past the paladin. Rhaegalt nearly runs head-first into a second gnoll rounding the outcrop, also wielding a spear and shield. The paladin 17 to hit for 8 damageslashes past the gnoll's guard, Qijon snaps off a shot that misses with 14 to hit vs 15 ACthuds into its shield, and Girgadan heaves a javelin, hits with 15 for 7 damagepunching through the creature's crude leather armor. It thrusts back at Rhaegalt, a weak blow that he gnoll 2 misses with 7 to hiteasily dodges. Out across the meadow, three bowstrings twang again. One hunter one hit for 5 damage on gnoll 1finds the range and Bill sees the gnoll wince as it charges him.


OODMEveryone is up! A little confusion with the perception rolls, I just took whatever came first if anything was duplicated between player and NPCed posts.

Gnoll 1 (the archer) looks slightly hurt, Gnoll 2 looks pretty bad after taking hits from Rhaegalt and Girgadan.

Bill is 45 feet from Gnoll 1, which used its action to don its shield. The hunters are still closing at 30 feet per turn and look to be a little under 300 feet past gnoll 1.
Qijon is 75 feet from the camp and Gnoll 2, 150 feet from Gnoll 1.
Rhaegalt is in melee with Gnoll 2, Girgadan is behind Rhaegalt and 10 feet from Gnoll 2, Deamiss and Olin are 15 feet from Gnoll 2.
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 01:38 AM
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 6885
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Posts: 1,112
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
The stench of the second Gnoll hits Rhaegalt a moment before he comes around the outcrop. Perhaps it tipped him off a split-second ahead of the assailant, as the Rapier lashed out before the Gnoll could act. It made a lazy attack with its Spear that the Half-Elf easily sidesteps.

Brandishing the Rapier above his head again, Rhaegalt thrusts out, shouting, "Die you dirty dog!"

 

__________________
+ Come join the fun in Tug of War! +
Current Tug of War game- #119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 08:09 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,482
Bill ďthe Orog,Ē Custom Lineage FighterSheet|AC: 17|HP: 13/13|+6/2d6+4|Status: Normal
Heavy Armor Master | Interception Style | Second Wind 1/1|1/1 HD

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

A spear. Bill considers how this changes things. Bill has opted for javelins because in his experiments he had some difficulty controlling his throws of their longer cousins. Perhaps gnolls have the same trouble...and the hunters are on the job anyway...

Bill slows, then backpedals, before cocking his arm back again. The gnoll does not appear to be surrendering, so violence will probably be necessary.

During this maneuver, Bill becomes aware of some commotion back at the camp. "If there are others, I recommend capturing one," he calls back, "for questioning."

Battle ActionsRelevant skills and statuses: Heavy Armor Master
Initiative: 10
Movement: To end 60' from gnoll 1
Action: Ready javelin on #1 for when it comes within 30' or ends its turn (without surrendering) - miss with an 8
Bonus Action:
Free Action:
Rolls:

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 10:05 AM
Hitmyto's Avatar
Hitmyto Hitmyto is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Posts: 126
Qijon
left-aligned image

Torn between assisting Bill and supporting the others, Qijon takes a moment to think whilst reloading his crossbow. He makes a decision, 18 to hit, 7 damagefires at the gnoll near the camp and turns around towards Bill. "None of us should stand completely alone right now." he says in a low voice to himself.

And we still have no clue where the loyalties of those other hunters lie, no telling if they will remain friendly after the gnoll dies. I just hope the other 3 will be enough if more reinforcements do show up at the camp. He starts to run towards the Orog. "Not like I could not run back, should it prove necessary."

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 01:48 PM
KhamLuc's Avatar
KhamLuc KhamLuc is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 2337
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Posts: 2,229
Deamiss Roussoss
right-aligned image


Deamiss take Fluffy in his hand putting his bow in his back, and grab his Battle ax with one hand

"Yeah I know fluffy... no scrambling death for us to do for now ... at least near our camp... But Bill maybe will need a little help if he continue to be out of reach of Deamiss... But Bill like to run ... it's how he keep death running behind him instead of facing her ... Deamiss learn that this is call tactic by MOTHER"
right-aligned image



 
__________________
Yes ... I'll take the Oath of Sangus ;)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 12:19 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 24th, 2023
RPXP: 4983
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,978
Girgadan
left-aligned image


"Looks like you have this one Rhaegalt" satisfied that the Gnoll is no longer a serious danger Girgadan keeps his eyes looking around for any other of the Gnoll ambushers. Grabbing another Javelin he starts slowly turning, scanning across the top of the vegetation ready for any sign of another 'surprise'.

The Half-Orc catches some words from Bill but they are not clear at this distance, something about capture perhaps. Having been captured a few times himself the ex soldier had mixed feelings about that, yes you live but sometimes it feels like the worse alternative. Flexing his shoulders to get more set with his Javelin he looks back to the others in the camp "Any one in the mood for playing prison warden speak up but I'm a clumsy butcher"



Actions
Initiative: 14
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Javelin throw (Atk: 18, Dmg: 5) at an enemy
Notes:

Perception 19


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 24th, 2023
RPXP: 21671
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,952
A Silence at Midnight
left-aligned image
The gnoll at the camp pulls its spear back for another strike, leaving itself wide open. Rhaegalt takes advantage of of its carelessness to 22 to hit, 7 damage, gnoll 2 is downrun it through, his rapier barely slowing as it pierces leather armor. Qijon's bolt good shot Rhaegalt got it first by damage, but just barelythuds into the creature a fraction of a second later, finding an already-slain target. The gnoll's eyes roll up as it slides off Rhaegalt's blade.

Out in the meadow, the spear-carrying gnoll picks up speed toward Bill. The Orog stops his charge and pulls back, waiting on the gnoll with a javelin ready. Deamiss drops his bow in favor of an axe and rushes out after Bill as Girgadan draws another javelin. The gnoll seems undeterred by the forces ahead, easily Bill's javelin misses wih an 8sidestepping Bill's throw as it gnoll 1 Dashes 60 feet to melee range with Billcloses with him. The hunters fire again and miss, advancing slowly, apparently willing to keep their distance and let Bill do the hard work.

Rhaegalt finds Olin at his side, stooping over the fallen gnoll. The monk murmurs "One of Grivin's pack, I think."


OODMEveryone is up! Gnoll 2 is dead.

Bill is in melee with gnoll 1. The hunters are still closing at 30 feet per turn and look to be around 320 feet past gnoll 1.

Qijon is 105 feet from the camp, 60 feet from Gnoll 1.
Rhaegalt and Girgadan are at the camp, 165 feet from Gnoll 1.
Deamiss is 60 feet from the camp, 105 feet from Gnoll 1.
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB