Game Thread The Coming Storm - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Wretches and Kings
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Darkshard's Avatar
Darkshard Darkshard is offline
Epic, Devious Dungeon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 17th, 2013
RPXP: 4407
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
Posts: 2,896
Claudia narrowed her eyes at Viscount Janzen. She
Dice Know:Nobility check, Viscount Janzen:
1d20+5 (5)+5 Total = 10
wondered if he were a young man eager to increase his holdings, or whether he
Dice Sense Motive, Viscount Janzen:
1d20+10 (12)+10 Total = 22
genuinely believed in his affront. As far as she Are there any justifications to his claims of poor management by the empire? I'm not sure what's appropriate to roll, I'll go with Know: History, if it would be Know:Local her bonus is only +1
Dice Know:History, Empire's Management:
1d20+5 (5)+5 Total = 10
understood it, the Empire had served well in providing trade links and organisation for the region.

"Viscount Janzen!" she called, rising in turn to respond to him. "I know your grievances are of great importance to you, but if every man in this hall were to speak without leave, soon not a man could hear another over the sound of argument."

Claudia looked to her father for I'm kind of assuming he'll graciously nod here, otherwise we're going to have to spend a couple of posts just with her asking his leave and him granting itpermission to speak, then
Dice Diplomacy:
1d20+11 (10)+11 Total = 21
Dice Perform:Oratory:
1d20+10 (13)+10 Total = 23
addressed the gathering. "It is argument that this province cannot afford. Without order, this duchy will descend into anarchy."

"War is surely coming; we cannot stand apart from this feud forever. Yet war is the opposite of governance. In war, taxation will be great, and not a lord present will be spared the cost. No longer will men and women travel the roads in safety, for our patrols will be fighting at the borders. Banditry will become rife. As war tears at the sanctity of our holdings, there will be hunger. Our serfs will be slain or fled, and our fields untended."

"Do not mistake my words. We are not cowards. As war will come, so shall we go to it; not in haste, as fools go, but boldly, from a position of strength. Our duty is first and foremost to the province, and to the lands we have sworn to govern; therefore, we shall look to repairs, the raising of levies, and the storing of harvests. We shall defend ourselves from attack; but we shall not take up the offensive until we have secured our own holdings first.

My father has spoken to you of righteous cause. I well believe that one or other side will be prompted to attack us to force our hand. Our true allies would never stoop so low; therefore, we shall strengthen our hand, the better to fight when the treachery of the enemy reveals itself. That is my father's will in this matter, and it is the course of wisdom; so should it be yours."
__________________
Like Short Stories? Visit the Short Story Competition!

Timezone=GMT

Last edited by Darkshard; Aug 12th, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Raunchel's Avatar
Raunchel Raunchel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 18th, 2016
RPXP: 700
Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel
Posts: 1,334
Antonius
Dice sense motive:
d20+13 (13)+13 Total = 26
tried to observe what the reactions were to what had been said so far. He also tried to
Dice knowledge noblity:
d20+15 (10)+15 Total = 25
remember what he knew about the viscount while listening to his daughter, preparing himself for the next part of his speech.
__________________
My homebrew
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
HuaiXin's Avatar
HuaiXin HuaiXin is offline
Chibi Commandant Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2022
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Posts: 1,895
The crowd quietens down at Claudia’s oratory and listen intently, many nods of assent indeed she sounded perfectly reasonable. “Ahem,” Count Althius takes the chance to speak a few moments after Claudia finishes, “That may be so, my lady. There problem is on the very issue of defence, how can we hold against either force. Vos’ Imperial 5th numbers over a hundred thousand men, veterans from the eastern war. The Stadt-holder Brecht and the other dukes lie to the west, they can cross into our territory from the west and south without much difficulty. They also vastly outnumber us.” The court is clearly unsettled by this, except Count Maesen who listens to the grim assessment stoically. “If we do not choose a side it will be too late once the enemy is at the gates.”

Meanwhile in the tavern the two brutes turn to face Gilford, “Crone take you!” one of them spits. The other eyes Gilford’s armour, “You a knight eh, where were you high and mighty folk when we were crushed?” he asks condescendingly.



__________________
Some characters are born posthumously.
See my campaigns Blod Stormur: Flying Ships, Mithril Men, Blóđ Stormur: Mysteries of the Lucitean Gulf and Blóđ Stormur: Blood and Snow in Arkadia
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Jasontheswift's Avatar
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift is offline
Adult Dragon Jedi
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 2674
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Posts: 4,522
Gilford sincerely says. I apologise for what has happened to you and if I was informed I would've being among the first to ride against your foes. However you standing here making these people uncomfortable will solve nothing, I ask you again. Leave or sit down quietly, however I will ask you to apologise for spitting on my armour for I understand how a man can have everything taken from him.

Gilford removes his glove revealing his scarred hand as he continues to say to them.

This is my only memory of a hellish fire that engulfed my family's house and almost killed me. Believe me gentleman I know what kind of pain you are feeling, the best thing to do is try to help those who have suffered just as you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Raunchel's Avatar
Raunchel Raunchel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 18th, 2016
RPXP: 700
Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel
Posts: 1,334
Antonius started
Dice diplomacy:
d20+13 (20)+13 Total = 33
speaking again: "Much has already been said about marching to fight for or against one of the sides in this conflict. This shows the dilemma that we face in the process of reaching a decision. When deciding for who we will fight we must first be aware of their aims and reasons for war. We are civilized men, many of noble birth, not mindless savages who rush off to fight before thinking. So far we have received very little information from Stat-holder Brecht about his intentions, aims and reasons. Let alone anything that would show the legality of his actions.

However, lord Vos is marching to war for clear reasons. The Stat-holder has declared war against him and rallies forces around himself. We also swore oaths to serve our Emperor. This makes it seem clear that we are to fight for him as well.

There however is one complication. When I assumed my current title I did not only swear to serve my Emperor, but also to protect those under me. That is the foundation of nobility, we, their betters, protect the people who offer us their toil in return. This ancient covenant is what has brought prosperity to our lands. To betray it is to betray our very purpose. We should keep this in mind while reaching our decision. It does not only have an effect on our lives, but also on the least of our servants, who also are the ones who suffer the most during a war. I will honour my vows and be the shield of those below me. And I promise to you that whoever makes the decision to attack us will suffer the consequences.”


Antonius paused again, to
Dice sense motive:
d20+13 (20)+13 Total = 33
see the reaction of his audience.
__________________
My homebrew
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Darkshard's Avatar
Darkshard Darkshard is offline
Epic, Devious Dungeon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 17th, 2013
RPXP: 4407
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
Posts: 2,896
Claudia listened to her father, admiring his speech and intonation. There could be no doubt in the minds of any of his listeners, here and now, that he would choose the best course of action for the entire duchy. She listened and learned as she did so, paying close attention to rhythm and cadence as he addressed the gathered throng.

After the Duke had finished speaking, Claudia looked to him for permission to speak once more, which he gave, and then turned to the gathered lords. "It is as my father says," Claudia stated. "This war will not pass us by. Yet whoever makes the first attempt to attack Röt Karminrot must bid farewell forever to our support; only a fool would choose that whilst hope of support remains to them. Consider; any would-be conqueror must know that they would find themselves quelling rebellions in their rear, losing men whilst still fighting a war upon all sides. If we prevaricate too long, we shall suffer attack, yes. Until then, we may seek terms."

"Which is, in truth, part of the purpose of calling this moot. We must give both sides the chance to prove to us that they would be the better choice."

"To the Empire we have spoken oaths of fealty; to the Stadt-holder Brecht and our fellow Gryzevlaktian rebels we owe the bonds of kinship. We hold neither obligation to be taken lightly; yet since both cannot be upheld, we must choose. Our duty must be first and foremost to our province, our lands, and our people."


Claudia turned to Viscount Janzen, inclining her head with a motion that shook her heavy jowls. "Viscount Janzen. You speak of dissatisfaction with Imperial rule, that the Empire has been a poor overlord. What concessions would you expect to wrest from the Empire in recompense for it's poor government? What would satisfy you as to the Empire's good intentions in the future - what rights and protections would you demand? Now, more than ever, the Empire would be required to be held to account. And it would be in all interests to negotiate."

She gazed at him thoughtfully for a moment, wondering what he made of that, before addressing the rest."Again, what demands will the Stadt-holder impose upon us, should we cede to his dominion? Can he set before us terms beneficial to us, that guarantee our ancient privileges? Or will he lay heavy burdens upon us whilst we fight a reckless war that will dispossess us all? Does he have the strength to command order within the realm?"

"We must learn, then, and swiftly, who will prove to be the better ruler, in peacetime and in war. These are not questions that can be answered lightly. Nor perhaps can they be answered until battle has been met and joined, and we have seen the mettle of those who fight."

"Messages have been sent, envoys have been summoned. Yet let it not be said that Duke of Röt Karminrot does not give heed to the advice of his most faithful lords. We would hear your voices, and the terms that you would think acceptable to ask, if any, from either side." Swiftly she held up a hand, before the hubbub grew any louder. "To avert debate! - to avert a debate that would sow seeds of division amongst us all, we would hear your petitions not together but apart. The Lady Chancellor will organise appointments over the next few days; or you may, if duties do not permit you to remain, submit your concerns in writing."

Claudia sat back down. She rather expected that her father's Counts would expect to speak with her father in his chambers; such a courtesy was rightly due to them from rank and birth after all. She scanned the crowd,
Dice Know: Nobility, Jakob Brecht, his family and his Heir:
1d20+5 (11)+5 Total = 16
Dice Know: Nobility (not sure if this is appropriate Know? Hopefully!), Carsten Vos:
1d20+5 (7)+5 Total = 12
considering
__________________
Like Short Stories? Visit the Short Story Competition!

Timezone=GMT

Last edited by Darkshard; Aug 16th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Macross's Avatar
Macross Macross is offline
Dungeon Explorer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2012
RPXP: 538
Macross Macross Macross Macross Macross Macross
Posts: 700
Reynna Solaris

Reynna was definitely thankful she made time to attend this session of court. What a treat hearing the riveting speech from the Duke ... certianly the rumors were true and his ability to captivate an audience was without question. His daughter clearly has advanced oratory skills of her own as well. No doubt from years of training, practice and following the Duke's noble example.

Now for the truely important details ... how will this crowd of nobles react to this topic and will a decision come from today's discussion? She wondered if envoys had already been sent and what were their intentions ... maybe such things will be detailed a bit later.

Reynna leaned back against he wall. She was comfortable here - she had a good view of the room, yet remained out of the way and inconspicuous. This would definintely be an interesting assignent, but she did miss the activity among the training battallion. She listened intently as the discussion continued...

Last edited by Macross; Aug 16th, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
TristineEndelwood's Avatar
TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood is offline
Imperial Nuisance
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 18th, 2020
RPXP: 7081
TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood
Posts: 2,092
As Aria continued to listen she was more than contented with how this meeting of minds was progressing. As her name is mentions she nods her head in accordance and speaks firmly over any murmuring voices.

"We must remember this much: When two children struggle with one another over a single trinket a good mother knows the two easiest solutions: the first being to introduce a second toy of equal value thus sating the children, the other is two distract the children from the toy with something else and disposes of said toy. Choosing sides is not the only option available to us. I urge you in the time before your meetings to consider all options and to remain open-minded."

Her piece said she returns to her seated form, her hands folded neatly and eyes watchful.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
HuaiXin's Avatar
HuaiXin HuaiXin is offline
Chibi Commandant Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2022
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Posts: 1,895
Antonius’ voice fills the hall, the assembly of nobles quieten down again taken in by the duke’s impressive oratory. Many agitated nobles behind Count Althius and Viscount Janzen also find themselves nodding becalmed by the duke’s words and any others are silenced by Claudia’s strong finish. Count Maesen takes up in the silence after the chancellor, “You indeed speak the truth my good lord and ladies, and you have put our minds to rest as to where you stand. I’m sure many of us can now return to our duties.” His weary eyes rise to meeting Antonius in the eye.

“If I may be so bold, my lord,” Count Althius speaks, “I would petition to meet you in private first.”

***
Meanwhile at the tavern, “You could never know…” one hisses.

“You’ll never know until you see what we do to the blutter scum.”

They push past the knight to leave, “Long Live Brecht!” they call as they exit, slamming the door. The innkeeper lets out a sigh of relief. “Danke sir,” he thanks Gilford.



__________________
Some characters are born posthumously.
See my campaigns Blod Stormur: Flying Ships, Mithril Men, Blóđ Stormur: Mysteries of the Lucitean Gulf and Blóđ Stormur: Blood and Snow in Arkadia
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Jasontheswift's Avatar
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift is offline
Adult Dragon Jedi
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 2674
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Posts: 4,522
Gilford looks over to the innkeeper and says. Your velcome, please ask ze young lady to meet me in my wroom from lazt night.

Gilford then proceeds to move toward his room to rest.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Darkshard's Avatar
Darkshard Darkshard is offline
Epic, Devious Dungeon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 17th, 2013
RPXP: 4407
Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard Darkshard
Posts: 2,896

Claudia rose with many of the others, as the hubbub died down and the I'm assuming that was what that end part wasgathering broke up. There were knots amongst the men in the hall; half-spoken murmurs that were quickly silenced as she drew near. No doubt many would be trying to decide what the outbreak of war meant to them.

She considered speaking to the Chancellor and privately suggesting that it might be prudent to watch some of these lords to ascertain their allegiances. The Chancellor would shortly be inundated with lesser petitioners, though, and she trusted the woman to know her job and to do it well. Likely she does not need telling.

The Lady Chancellor, Aria de Lange, cut a tragic and yet stern figure as she stood. Graceful and elegant, there was nevertheless a hardness to the woman that Claudia rather approved of. Cold beauty; like a diamond, or winter's ice. Claudia knew that she believed her husband had been murdered. The deed had remained unproven; though given the circumstances it seemed all too likely. Claudia wondered idly as she looked around the lordlings now, which amongst them might have been involved in the deed.

The hall seemed stifling; and Claudia was bored with the repetitive rigmarole of court. She could not envy de Lange, who would certainly have to deal with many petty concerns in the meantime. Still, she also had a role to play, and could not in honour escape herself.

She stepped down and approached the nearest knot of discussion; an older but minor lord whom she recognised as a regular visitor to the castle, or at least who had been until his gout had set in. "Ah, my Lord Holt," she said, stepping forward, "it has been some time since we last entertained you in this castle." She had the advantage; she always had the advantage in being a duke's daughter. Old Holt was garrulous and genial, but there would be others with whom she would have to attempt to Claudia is generally mingling as the lords disperse, trying to gather informal soundings (gauge opinions) and gently discourage the formation of knots of discussion.
Dice Diplomacy check(Gather information):
1d20+11 (9)+11 Total = 20
speak with in her courtly role who would be less warm.

She caught the eye of the new arrival to Grauhafen as she did so. The foreign cleric had been assigned to the infirmary. In another time she might well have been bored with such a post; alas, she is likely to see a great deal of work as this situation unfolds. Claudia was not inherently hostile to the woman or to those who worshipped other deities, so long as they understood that Röt Karminrot was the place of the Old Gods first and foremost.

The posting that the woman had would have in other times become something of a sinecure; hence the lazy and lackadaisical attitude that the prior incumbent had held. The old man had known that his position was, in a time of stability, hardly essential to the running of the keep, the infirmary wards empty for months at a time. Claudia knew very well that the Lady Solaris would have no such luck.

The priesthood of the Old Faith - of Grotziel and Odvroute - had been for time out of mind the healers within the community. They did not work from the infirmary, however; they travelled what was known as 'the rounds', working between villages to provide what succor they could to the peasant folk. There was an old saying; 'Grotziel for the births, Odvroute for the deaths'. Since her initiation, Claudia had sat the last vigil with many an old man or woman, holding their hands until their last death rattle had left them. She used her healing arts where she could; resorting to prayer only when all that could be done had been done.

Not that I, as a Duke's daughter, often have the chance to do the rounds. She did not need to fear being too familiar with the peasants she tended; all the priestesses of Odvroute were viewed with a superstitious fear and awe. Many a family saw a familiar black-cloaked figure arrive ominously just as the death of a loved one was imminent; then again, many a dying serf owed his final hours to them, passing over with minimal pain and the assurance that Odvroute waited to receive him.

She would have liked to have spoken with the battle cleric, but at the moment she was rather unfortunately engaged in conversation. Still, once she could escape her onerous duties she might well be able to engage the woman in conversation and see what manner of person she was.
__________________
Like Short Stories? Visit the Short Story Competition!

Timezone=GMT

Last edited by Darkshard; Aug 19th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
HuaiXin's Avatar
HuaiXin HuaiXin is offline
Chibi Commandant Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2022
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Posts: 1,895
Eventually the colourful crowd of nobles filter out to return to their duties and shore up their holdings. The council hall empties, leaving only Count Althius waiting patiently in his fine attire to speak with the duke. He walks calmly, his leather riding boots clicking across the flagstone, to stand in front of Antonius at the base of the platform. “My liege, I would speak with you privately.” He requests politely.

Outside the hall Gilford sees the guards step aside to let out the crowd of nobles.

__________________
Some characters are born posthumously.
See my campaigns Blod Stormur: Flying Ships, Mithril Men, Blóđ Stormur: Mysteries of the Lucitean Gulf and Blóđ Stormur: Blood and Snow in Arkadia
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Macross's Avatar
Macross Macross is offline
Dungeon Explorer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 22nd, 2012
RPXP: 538
Macross Macross Macross Macross Macross Macross
Posts: 700
Reynna exits with the crowd, returning to the infirmary. There was a whole corner and closet area of the small section that had not been cleaned out and sorted in who knows how long - leftover from the previous keeper of this post. It would take some time to go through those supplies and decide what, if anything, was still usable.

She learned alot today about the concerns of the nobles ... some married well with the concerns she remembered of the common folks - no one wants another war. Others, however did not match - many common farmers, villagers, etc are more concerned about how they will feed their families than worried about the troubles of court life. It was an eye-opening experience and she was thankful she was able to participate.

She wondered how and why she was chosen for this post. Who recommended it and what did she do to earn such distinction? She had heard rumors that the Marshall specially requested her, but that was just talk. No one was able to confirm anything. Reynna's open worship of Sarenrae was certainly a minority following here, despite her best efforts to still respect customs and courtesies of other ways. Perhaps she would never know - but for now, the best she can do is straighten this place up and be ready for troubled times ahead ...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM
TristineEndelwood's Avatar
TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood is offline
Imperial Nuisance
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 18th, 2020
RPXP: 7081
TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood TristineEndelwood
Posts: 2,092
As the Gathering was dismissed and the nobles began to stream from the room, the relief she felt did not manifest on her stoic features. In truth she had thought the council would have been more persistent with their enquiries, but their curiosity had been sated....for now.

She rose with Claudia and Antonius giving them both a nod of acknowledgement. As she turns she is fully prepared for the several nobles who approach her.

“Any concerns you may have please notify me by letter. I will address each individually and if there is need I shall schedule you an appointment to meet the Duke in Person.”

She appeared cold and unaffording however now was not the time to allow the Duke’s time to be eaten up with petty trivialities. She had every intention of acting as the filter between the nobles and Antonius. Aria had more than enough time and diplomacy skills to keep the others at bay. As she inclines her head towards several others she engages a few in polite conversations her eyes never leaving Count Althius.

She moves to stand behind the count, ready to intervene at the Duke’s request and also making a note to herself to write out invitations for concerns to be addressed to her.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Raunchel's Avatar
Raunchel Raunchel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 18th, 2016
RPXP: 700
Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel Raunchel
Posts: 1,334
Antonius turned to face the count, he says: "Of course we can speak privately, my friend. Let us retire to my office so we can speak without interference."
__________________
My homebrew
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB