Story Eberron: Sharn - City of Towers : Part II - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Eberron - Sharn: City of Towers
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 489
Miklar Miklar Miklar Miklar Miklar
Kaven finished his first ale and sat down his first mug. He didn't call for the barkeep to bring another though. He frowned at the wall for a few moments. Something was off. The patrons to the Rose were a varied bunch, but too many of the people he'd never seen before.

The new comers were different, a couple were definitely dressed finer than what normally rode into the Rose. if it had been just one, it would be just chance. But this many was an aberration. It was just the type of thing he came to the Rose to avoid damn it!

There was no help to it though. Better to face the situation now than. He turned back with an affable smile on his face. He took a moment to feel the twin daggers at waist and tip of blackened rod he used to focus his sorcery.

One of the more familiar faces in the room had attracted several of the new comers with her.... Was that colored water? He hope she at least used alcohol in whatever she was mixing. Regardless, she had them occupied and handled at the moment. Now who else....

He spotted a human nursing what appeared to be wine. Wine at the Rose? Most people avoided the wine at the Rose because the Rose didn't cater to that type really. But here he was, and he was out of place here, but his demeanor was neutral at worst.

Kaven walked to the man's table, and pulled up a chair to his table. He turned the chair around backwards and straddled iy, resting his arm on the back of the chair, beaming a smile at the man.

"You know, I have a theory about the Rose's wine. My theory is that years ago madman tried to blackmail the Gilded Rose by inserting poisoned bottles of wine into their stock. The Rose could either replace the entire collection or pay the man off and he would tell them which bottles were poison. They decided to pay the man off because it was cheaper. However, after the man had the money, he cackled and blew himself and the money up!" Kaven pauses to make the hand gestures illustrating the scene. "So now the Rose could no longer even afford to replace the whole wine supply. Their customers were thirsty, but the Gilded Rose would not risk poisoning their dear patrons! So, out of love for their customers, they cut the wine with water till even a babe could drink it and never fear the poison. And this why your red wine is probably more of a hazy pink than blood red. "

Kaven grins mischievously and continues before the man can respond "Now this story is just mad rabbling. It's the type of thing a man only thinks about when he is sitting alone, nursing a bottle of watered wine. So, rather than condemn you to such mental torment, I'd rather join you and find out what brings you to the Rose besides watered down wine and stave off my own madness."

Kevan held out his hand to the man and said "My name is Kaven, pleased to meet you friend."

Last edited by Miklar; 03-31-2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2201
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"I'm Higgins. The alchemist guild sent me here."
I should not mention Guildmaster Hewer by name until I'm certain this isn't a joke the city is having at his expense.
After a moment...
"I advise against using that stuff-it turns the lungs ragged."
Old 03-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Master of Ones

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 87
Pinohkio
Xavfire was content to just sit and watch the commotion, the new patrons seemed to share his interest in one another but unlike them he preferred to take everything in from a distance. He simply smiled and kept to himself.

Once his pint was empty Xav retrieved his lute. Always a lightweight, alcohol had a sombering effect on the young human and he strummed a soft tune, barely noticeable over the hustle and bustle.

Last edited by Pinohkio; 03-31-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
crowdarkfall crowdarkfall crowdarkfall
Seeing a human rummaging for what appears to be a lute, Thailen begins to talk a bit quieter to the people around him. "What do you do with the alchemist guild?" looking at the gnome for some sort of conversation. Its always the same way in cities everone is either to poor to survive or spend their money trying to make more money or forget losses of money. One day hopefully the world would change but for now he was content to enjoy the company of the gnome and the changling. Pooring the last little bit of pipeweed from his pack he begins to puff lightly on the pipe stem and drinking the stout he ordered on the way in."Its a misserable day to be out and about" he mumbles to no one specific.

Barendd
Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
Kingkiller Kingkiller
For a moment Davren simply stared at the man’s offered hand, feeling a faint surprise. It was unusual to have someone come to him for a change, usually it was him who made the introductions. Moving the cup of wine into his left hand, he at last took the man’s hand. Idiot, he’s a half-elf. Davren corrected himself, seeing the other’s vaguely pointed ears.

”I’ve never heard that story before.” Davren laughed. “But I have to say that whatever poison he used was most certainly tasteless. I swear I can’t taste anything in this cup except water. And brackish water at that. It’s good to know that it was intentional at least, and just not the bartender trying to rip off a pour soul like me. As to why I’m here I must admit to being something of a masochist. I came here with nothing more than to drive myself happily mad contemplating such stories while getting myself well and truly drunk.”

Davren hesitated slightly then, unsure whether to give the half-elf his real name. Kaven seemed a discerning enough fellow, but not quite in the more dangerous way that he was normally used to. Definitely social, and very friendly, perhaps too much so. Still…

”I’m Davren.” he said, making up his mind and giving his new friend a smile. ”I must admit it’s nice to talk to another person. These rainy days have kept me far from such happy company.” finishing with another chuckle.

Not technically a lie, I suppose. he thought to himself, still grinning. ”You ask me why I’m here but I’m afraid I have no clue myself. In all honesty my feet brought me here before my mind was even aware of where I was being taken.” He didn’t mention the paucity of coin in his pocket. It went without question. After all, why else would someone stick around in a dive like this, drinking wine that tasted like tepid rainwater?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
"My position with the guild is not important at the moment. As for the wine being poisoned, that's a story I'll have to remember..."
Old 03-31-2015, 07:09 PM
One Ring to rule them all

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1882
Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm
Time waned into the evening, as the rain continued to fall. More and more of the incessant drops that fell from the sky often in times like a torrential down pour. Soon the Gilded Rose began to thin a bit within it's ranks of people tending to dutiful drinks and bouts of eating the nightly food. As the night drew on, more and more people became intoxicated and with nothing to do, left for their temporary respites despite having little ownership or rights of their own. Even the dragon marked were stuffed down here like prisoners of war as the refugees poured in daily through the Black Arch. The steel iron portcullis opened with the sound of grating metal and closed with a timely thud.

Yes, times were dire indeed. Talk of rioting escaped those brave enough to become systematically rounded up and carted away to prison or forced to work in the foundries located within the Cogs or the Depths of Sharn. These foundries excavated kyber shards to fuel the monetary value of trade in Sharn as some loathed and feared even talk of leaving lower Tavicks Landing. There were those that wished to leave however, and with the recent storm, talk of future events filtered among the local gossip and rumors of people within the Gilded Rose this night.

There was a man, in fact a half-elf that bore the mark of Siberys all over him. This in fact puzzled most people, as the mark of Siberys was one of the greatest blessings among Khoirvaire ever. This mark of the storm had etched it's way upon Gaven d'Lyrandar. Little is known of Gaven or where he came from, but soon you find Gaven d'Lyrandar at your table. Lowering his cowl to his hooded cloak, he has been watching you for sometime. His face is etched with the dragonmarks of a hydra that signify the house of Lyrandar.

When all have his attention, Gaven begins to speak, "Greetings everyone. My name is Gaven Lyrandar and I am a refugee much like yourself here in the Black Arch." Looking around suspiciously, he waits before he begins again to see that nobody but those he is talking to are listening to the half elf. " I seek to leave this auspicious place and find a more comfortable living arrangements within Sharn. I hear if escape could happen, becoming lost within the hundreds of thousands is impossible to become caught and I have some information that could very well lend to an escape when the time is right. Do you have a minute or so to listen to my plan?"
Old 04-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 489
Miklar Miklar Miklar Miklar Miklar
As soon as he realized the Siberys mark was a Lyrandar, he grabbed his right forearm tightly. Could he actually feel his fledgling dragon mark writhing? He couldn't take his eyes off of Gaven though. A Lyrandar with a Siberys mark, here? Now? Could it mean.... Oh. Oh!

After several more inarticulate thought, he finally came to a couple of conclusions. For one, it was unlikely Gaven was here to kill him and likely might not even realize their related. Secondly, Kaven was stuck in these slums without much idea of where to go and Gaven was not only offering a way out, but an action. And possibly the favor of a man with a Siberys mark!

So Kaven forced himself to release his right forearm a put on his best cock smile no even though he was still shaken up. "Gaven, my fellow Khoravar, I would be glad to help you. However, I need one thing, just one, from you," he held up one finger for emphasis "A bottle of decent wine from Sharnc. A good one. Good enough to serve to the Undying Court good. Or lose enough. Deal?" and held out his right hand to Gavin.

Last edited by Miklar; 04-01-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Misspellings of Gaven
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"If this plan would allow me to set up a workshop in more suitable situations, I'll support it."
The little gnome leans in to listen...
Is this a trap? I doubt it-what would the city gain by luring ME into a trap?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
"I will agree to help, the people around here could use some hope, To you i ask Is there any hope this will be a peaceful affair?" Looking around and seeing most of the people gathered have already pledged their safety to this man, he hoped their would be little blood spilt.

Barendd
Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Tavern Burner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33
A Special Moose
"I am also interested in hearing your plan" says Lily. "But I also hope that this will be a peaceful affair, I may be a thief but I'm not a killer."
Old 04-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Master of Ones

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 87
Pinohkio
The quiet stunning stops as Xavfire makes his way to the table with the other. "Excuse me, did I hear you say that you wished for more comfortable living? I'm tired of these refugees and yearn to explore, where do I sign up?" The bard spoke with a whimsy in his voice which would betray the most callouseds' true intentions.

Last edited by Pinohkio; 04-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
Kingkiller Kingkiller
Davren thought for a moment as a new person, the bard who had been playing the music he'd been hearing a little while ago, spoke. By now he and the others had already made each other's acquaintance, and he found himself enjoying the little group. They seemed willing enough to go along with this adventure. And after all, what was the harm of it, after all. Whenever House Tarkanan needed him they'd smuggled him out of this squalor easily enough. The half-elf seemed to have at least a hint of what to do to get out of this place. Besides, Davren could certainly use the money, if there was any to be had. At the very least a better opportunity to make some, which definitely wasn't to be had in as overcrowded a place as this.

"I'll agree to this little escapade of yours." he said, turning from Kaven to finally look into the newcomer's eyes. With a hint of a smile, he continued, "It's not like I have anything to lose from such an adventure, after all. What is it you intend to do to get us out of here?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Looking over at the bard Thailen says"Hello bard, would not suppose you have some extra pipeweed? As for this plan when do we get started

Barendd
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 AM
Meet thy maker, sinner!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8997
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
The night continued as Ulster watched the crowd in its ebbs and flows. Lila....leda....for some one that he'd seen here often, he had a heck of a time remembering names...continued to chat up the other Hill Dwarf that had recently came in. If she's put up with him for that long she must consider him a potential mark, he thought. He's in for an interesting, if unprofitable night. Might even lose those fancy clothes of his.

A gnome seem to appear out of nowhere unannounced to their little twosome, intently interested in her liquid based wares. Ulster stood up and began to head towards the privy, the high water content in this pubs ale begging for the rent to be paid. He overheard him ask about ginseng, although he'd be hard pressed to find any in her concoctions, he though. As he passed the bar he overheard ramblings of someone introducing himself as Devan, spinning a yard about the quality of the Rose's wine to the wine drinker. Ulster slightly smirked at the yarn being told as he passed them and into the privy. It was blown up, but the fool had stolen most of the wine that had gone off and turned into cooking vinegar. The innkeeper was wondering what to do with it when that idiot did the job for him. He took a few extra shakes, convincing his warhammer to finish the job it had started. Damn place smelled like off wine for a few weeks though, yet another foul odor to add to the mix around here.

He came out of the privy and pulled out his pipe, stuffing it with some weed that was less pipe quality and more whatever was growing in the back. After a few attempts in vain, he finally lit the spongy material, coughing the first inhale as most usually do, due to the weeds acrid smoke. He looked up to see a half elf sitting down to what seemed to be the popular table tonight, but something was very different about him. His dress, while better then the average customer here, wasn't enough to make him stand out, much less in comparison to tonights rabble. No it was the way he carried himself; aloff, yet confident, like he was used to having people listen to what he had to say without question. He took a puff, blowing out the smoke he had inhaled as a waitress passed by.

“Lass do you know who that elf is that just sat down at Lola's table there?”, he asked.

“That's Lily.”, she replied, slightly amused at my inability to remember such a simple name. “And no, never seen him around before tonight. Odd looking too, had markings all over him and all.”, she stated, walking away to serve some other customers some ale.

Markings, he thought. His waitress, for her skills at her job wasn't the most worldly of people. Could she had meant some form of tatoo? Or dragonmark, he realized with a snap. Well at the very least, it'd hopefully jog why he was getting a bad case of deja vu with this guy. He slowly walked over to the table that this elf had sat himself at, as he began to speak.

"I seek to leave this auspicious place and find a more comfortable living arrangements within Sharn. I hear if escape could happen, becoming lost within the hundreds of thousands is impossible to become caught and I have some information that could very well lend to an escape when the time is right. Do you have a minute or so to listen to my plan?"

A brief smirk crossed Ulster's face before disappearing once again. He thinks he's got a way out of this accursed slum? He'll be in good company around here, there's usually someone peddling that at least once a week. For most their success depended on how drunk their marks were and how believable the plan was, which usually ended either in the peddler getting laughed out the door, or their marks....disappearing. The table's reaction was leaning strongly into the latter. Indeed, they seem to immediately buy what this elf was selling, almost as if this elf's mere presence was enough to sell them of this proposal’s success. Even Lily seem to at least be open to hearing this strangers plan, which was an interesting juxtaposition. He looked over this seemingly charismatic stranger, trying to deduce who he was, and what, if any, his game was.

It was at that moment that Ulster got a good look at the face of the popular man and noticed too things; one that he was a half-elf, not a true blood. The other is that he bore the Mark of the Storm across his face, prominent for all to see. He had heard of an elf that bore the Mark of the Storm being cast down into this pit of despair. A leader in the Last War he had heard. How he found himself falling from such a great height with both history and that mark is one that no-one knew, and one that made him wary. A typical con man pulling this would know better then to use such a famous dragonmark. One of the lower houses sure, they could possibly get away with it, but people with the Siberys*mark usually reside a lot higher then here. What could he have done to have himself cast out of the higher levels, what sin was that great? He racked his brain for more but blankness and a slight buzzing from copious amounts of ale were all that greeted his attempts. It did help to explain why little suspicion was being cast by the members of this table. Indeed, they seem to have lapped it up like cats to a saucer of fresh milk and were begging for more, he thought to himself as some of this rabble started rhyming off requests for wine, pipeweed, and a safe journey.

He stood to the side of the wine drinker, and took a puff of his pipe. “Why not just ask for the rain to leave or to live forever”, he bemused, although realizing that for the former, he possibly could do something about that. “For most of you that seem to be new faces, you may not know this, but our friend here is playing a con that's quite common around these parts. You see, someone comes in and tries to pass themselves off as having a plan to get out of this place and out of Sharn. He or she finds some rubes much like yourself and if they're successful, which he seems to be from your reactions, you all leave the Rose as one big happy group thinking of the freedom that soon awaits you.”, he took another puff of his weed, trying hard to keep it from going out. “And in a few weeks, the ones that had any skills of value or were of ample size or beauty will be sold off as slaves. The fortunate ones will have been killed off and stripped of values long before then.” He looked at the table's Storm marked friend, staring into his eyes intently to see if he could ascertain any notion of treachery or deceit. “But then again, these cons aren't proposed by a Siberys marked war general that's fallen from grace, now are they?”, he sneered at the Storm marked half-elf. “So why don’t' you tell us this plan of yours that'll succeed where so many others have failed, and if it's believable enough, maybe you won't become the locals punching bag for the evening.”