Game Thread World of Terrene - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old 08-21-2016, 03:48 AM
BadgerGob BadgerGob is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-10-2019
RPXP: 23
BadgerGob
Posts: 277
"Hmm?" Broderick looked up from the frets suddenly, apparently having forgot the others were still there for the moment but quickly remembered what he was saying, "Oh! Well, I was on my way to a city on the coast of Billows Ocean - Seada. Many tales of great sea monsters and treasures to be found..." He shrugged and leaned back against the tree, "More importantly, many retired fisher folk with fat purses in need of entertainment and strong, young adventurers to run errands." He admitted, then looked to Tomas, "And what of you? Passing through Berth as well?"
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 PM
TN94's Avatar
TN94 TN94 is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2016
RPXP: 0
TN94
Posts: 45
"I was headed out because I couldn't find any work here." Tomas said, which was basically the truth. "Lucky me that I got into this, then. I've been wanting to stop the murder-hobo life before it grows on me and find some real property to settle down into, at least as a home base for future adventures, so hopefully I'll find the real estate to spend our payment on."
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM
El Sijo's Avatar
El Sijo El Sijo is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2017
RPXP: 102
El Sijo El Sijo
Posts: 314
As he ate and rested, Wilfryd considered his companions.

He wasn't sure how trustworthy they were. Tomas certainly struck him as suspicious. Broderick was a little too happy-go-lucky for his tastes. Terin seemed to be dedicated to the cause of good, if a bit impulsive.

But it was not as if he had a choice of allies at the moment.

Approximately an hour later, the group finished resting and mounted again.

By the time they reached the Hills, night was beginning to fall.

Luckily, they easily found tracks, both human and otherwise, leading into a cave. It was easy to guess this was where the Kobolds had taken their human captives.

"I feared this" the sage spoke. "We will have to enter into their lair now to rescue any survivors. My Lady Stormborn, I assume you have Darkvision? The rest of us, however, will need light to see, and that will likely attract the kobolds or other monsters. Unless..."

The mage seemed to think of something. Then he gestured, and four lights, resembling torches, appeared in the air before him.

"A Dancing Lights spell" he explained. "I will project these ahead of us, about 60 feet. That way we will illuminate the way, and also confuse any foe about our position."

And with that, the group entered the narrow tunnels.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:27 PM
El Sijo's Avatar
El Sijo El Sijo is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2017
RPXP: 102
El Sijo El Sijo
Posts: 314
The cave was completely dark, and the ceiling was low, making it something of a chore for the humans and the half-elf (but not the halfling) to explore. It twisted and branched out many times too, further adding to the confusion.

The fear that they would simply become lost started to swell up inside them, though none spoke it as yet.


Suddenly a voice sounded- within their minds!

Greetings, surface dwellers. What brings you to the underdark?

Last edited by El Sijo; 08-22-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 PM
The Eternal Keepe The Eternal Keepe is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-28-2017
RPXP: 0
The Eternal Keepe
Posts: 31
Terin was wandering with her weapon pointed forward, both to be ready, and to avoid it hitting the cieling all the time, when the voice spoke and she froze "Who's there?!" She hissed, demanding to know who it was and end her curiosity
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 PM
TN94's Avatar
TN94 TN94 is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2016
RPXP: 0
TN94
Posts: 45
"Hey, hey, we don't necessarily come to hurt anyone if nobody comes to hurt us." Tomas immediately moved to deescalate the situation by holding his hands up without weapons. "We just want to talk for now, okay? Some people a little way's away wanna talk to some folks we've heard are in here, alright? I'm Tomas, that's Broderick, Wilfryd, and the Princess."

Last edited by TN94; 08-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 PM
El Sijo's Avatar
El Sijo El Sijo is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2017
RPXP: 102
El Sijo El Sijo
Posts: 314
"Be calm, my friends!" Wilfryd suddenly urged. "Whoever this is, it isn't a kobold. And if it wanted to attack us, it would have by now. Let me handle this."

The sage could hardly hide his fascination. Telepathy! He had heard tales of such an ability, but didn't expect to find it so early in his adventurering career!

On the other hand, the tales also mentioned that most creatures with such powers tended to do horrible things, such as enslaving the minds of others. And that they lived precisely in the underdark...

Fear not, wise one- the 'voice' said. The creatures you fear live much, much deeper within the earth. My people only hurt those who bring evil to our lairs.

"Ah, good" Wilfryd said, relieved. "Because we only come here to rescue some of our kind, taken away by force."

Ah, you mean the humans whom the Kobolds brought to their lair. Yes, I am aware of them. Unfortunately, I am alone here, so I was not able to help. But I can guide you there, if you promise not to attack me when you see me.

"Why would we do that?"

Your kind is not very... accepting of creatures who are too different from yourselves, or so we have learned from past encounters.

Wilfryd realized that they had an unique chance here: not only to find the hostages, but to learn more secrets from the underdark! Putting on his bravest front, he said: "Please, help us find those innocents before harm comes to them. Judge us by our reactions."

Very well.

For a moment, there was no sound in the cave, not even the "voice".

Then they spotted what at first appeared to be a color-shifting cloud approaching them. And then...

Once it was close enough to the Dancing Lights, it could be seen fully.

The creature resembled a glowing jellyfish, with two eyes at the ends of stalks, that literally floated in the air!


GM:Players: Make a Nature check to see if you can identify this creature. DC 15.

Last edited by El Sijo; 08-24-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 PM
TN94's Avatar
TN94 TN94 is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2016
RPXP: 0
TN94
Posts: 45
"****!" Tomas recoiled instinctively and his hand flew to his rapier. "That's--that's a, uh, uh..."

Dice Nature check:
1d20+4 (7)+4 Total = 11


He drew his rapier. "Well I dunno what it is but you can't trust anything that's being this nice!"

Last edited by TN94; 08-24-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 PM
El Sijo's Avatar
El Sijo El Sijo is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2017
RPXP: 102
El Sijo El Sijo
Posts: 314
Dice Roll:
D20+1sh15 (17)+1 Total = 18


"No, wait!!" Wilfryd said, quickly interposing himself between Tomas and the creature. "That happens to be a Flumph! They are among the few creatures in the underdark who are in fact, good in nature! Besides, we need its help- face it, we are lost down here!"

He then turned to look again at the bizarre creature and said "Please! forgive my friend- he's rather... untrusting by nature."

The flumph glowed a soft pink in color, then 'spoke' again, its mental tone almost sounding amused: I know that. In fact, I was aware of all your natures the moment I felt your presence. Still, there are protocols to be followed in these situations. Worry not; you have passed the test.

"Then... you will lead us to the kobolds' lair?" Wilfryd asked.

Yes. Follow me.

Suddenly, there was a sound of escaping air -a sort of phlumph!- and the jellyfish-like being turned around, and drifted away and into a tunnel.

The Sage wondered if the creature was named after the odd sound it made. In any case, he signaled his allies to follow it.

Last edited by El Sijo; 08-24-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM
The Eternal Keepe The Eternal Keepe is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-28-2017
RPXP: 0
The Eternal Keepe
Posts: 31
Dice Nature:
d20-1 (4)-1 Total = 3


Terin had absolutely no idea what that kind of beast was, but she trusted the Sorcerer, albiet still a bit suspicious of the creature as they headed further in into the caves... But she could not help but let out a little giggle at the sound it made

Last edited by The Eternal Keepe; 08-25-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 PM
BadgerGob BadgerGob is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-10-2019
RPXP: 23
BadgerGob
Posts: 277
Dice Nature:
1d20+1 (10)+1 Total = 11


Broderick had spent the last few moments in tense, fearful silence as a strange voice filled his mind. He didn't trust anything that could do such things, let alone without permission. According to Wil it was a 'flumph', which he had not heard of before, and apparently benevolent. He did not believe the sorcerer at all, a hand resting on his rapier ready for the inevitable betrayal and trap, "You can't be serious... Trusting a strange creature with mind altering powers?" He spluttered as the others seemed content to follow the floating monstrosity, "And in the Underdark of all places! For all we know it is in league with the kobolds - or worse..." The bard complained, but the others were already moving. With a grumble he consigned himself to trail behind them, weapon ready and wary of every move the flumph made.

He had to admit, the sound it made was disarmingly amusing.

Last edited by BadgerGob; 08-25-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 PM
El Sijo's Avatar
El Sijo El Sijo is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2017
RPXP: 102
El Sijo El Sijo
Posts: 314
An undetermined amount of time later -it was hard keeping track in a dark cave- the group plus their unusual guide finally stopped.

They noticed the flumph was now glowing a bright red. And indeed, its mental tone sounded angry: Here. The lair of those craven creatures is over there. You're lucky; it is nothing but a temporary place to rest, not their real lair, so you won't have to face dozens of them.

It then rotated to face them. You'll have to excuse me for not helping, but again, combat is not really my specialty...

"It is OK" Wilfryd whispered. "You have done more than enough, and we thank you for it. Now it's our turn." With that, he signaled to Terin. His meaning was obvious; he wanted her to peek over the corner and see what lay beyond, since using a light would alert the kobolds.

If she did, the priestess would see a larger cavern, with 8 kobolds walking around; 4 were armed with daggers, and 4 with slings. They were about 30 feet away. Against one of the cavern's walls sat 5 men and 5 women, bound and silently praying for their lives in the dark. Also, something like a pile of coins could be seen laying in the center.

GM:Players: state your actions

Last edited by El Sijo; 08-25-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 PM
TN94's Avatar
TN94 TN94 is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2016
RPXP: 0
TN94
Posts: 45
"Someone else go in first and get some attention." Tomas whispered. "Broderick, you know how to make an entrance. Maybe open up by asking for negotiations. If they don't take kindly to that I'll start splitting skulls, but if the Flumph wanted to play us it'd want us to just go charging in and if it didn't I doubt it'd want us to just open with murder, so I figure either way that's a good start."
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 AM
BadgerGob BadgerGob is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-10-2019
RPXP: 23
BadgerGob
Posts: 277
Broderick already had his rapier ready for a fight, however it appeared the kobolds had yet to notice them. He was also glad to see the flumph leave, albeit worried that it was simply departing as part of some dastardly plan. Nevertheless, there were people in need of rescue and the bard was less than impressed with Tomas' suggestion, "And become the prime target of all four slings, let alone daggers..." He whispered back, "Perhaps there shall be so many eager to attack me they shall trip over themselves. Truly a masterful plan..." He rolled his eyes and pulled at his moustache, tucking Vim away into safe pocket.

A distraction in general was not a bad idea, though leaping out from the corner waving his arms was not a wise method. He considered the pile of coins in the centre of the cavern and had a mischievous idea, "I can, however, see about providing a little show for them - and them we may attack as one. Wilfryd? If you would be so kind as to project one of your lights into the cavern..." Broderick requested and, if Wil did as asked, began to hum quietly, weaving a simple cantrip he used to practice at bars - albeit mostly to win drinking games. He used Mage Hand to lift a coin and fling it towards a kobold. Then another and another in a flurry of movement.

OOCMage Hand (cantrip) range is 30ft, working on anything under 10 pounds for about 1 minute.

Last edited by BadgerGob; 08-26-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: GM made me do it...
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 08-26-2016, 01:15 AM
TN94's Avatar
TN94 TN94 is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-18-2016
RPXP: 0
TN94
Posts: 45
"Alright, guys, charge in as soon as I inevitably get destroyed by these savage monstrous humanoids who just always resort to violence and who are definitely our guys." Tomas slipped into full sarcasm and stepped into the cave with his hands held up. "Hey! Hello! <Friendly!> <Friendly!> <Friendly!>" He cycled between Common, Halfling, Elven, and Draconic in turn, trying all four languages he knew until he could get a response. He did, however, still keep himself prepped to dodge any incoming projectiles.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB