RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Code for tacos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5975
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Creation

Discuss backstory, builds, and complications, etc.

Tentative setting is providence, rhode island, present day. High school will be based on Hope high school.

Last edited by gravenimages; 06-02-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1553
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
So... I mentioned 'force projection' on my initial character idea. Playing around with Herolab to create my character, I noticed that the blast effect can be strength-based, so I'm considering making it a sort of shockwave punch... By which I mean they punch the air so hard that it creates a shockwave and a blast of air in the direction of their strike.

Because it's strength based, it actually only uses 1 rank of the blast power, becoming relatively limited in range, but explosive in actual power output. I'm considering increasing the range and making it a line area attack, so as to be able to shockwave punch multiple enemies at once... Thoughts on this?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Code for tacos

Tools
User Statistics
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
I could see collateral or property damage perhaps becoming an issue but no other thoughts at first blush
Old 06-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6077
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Are these normal high schoolers who recently got powers or high-school age people who HAVE powers already?

If the former, what are the restrictions on gear? Things commonly available to high schoolers, or can we begin with spidey suits, batarangs, specialized weapons, etc?

Is the main source of metahuman abilities the chemical weapons?

I presume you're looking for 'Good' characters who have a respect for human life? My characters get a bit murder-y when I don't have this in mind to begin with.

You should also consider banning Variable Immunity, if it comes up.

Trying to decide between rich kid melee regenerator or a low middle-class mechanic sniper. The first works in any scenario, the second works if I can start with a rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably Me
"Then I will defy heaven!"
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1553
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravenimages View Post
I could see collateral or property damage perhaps becoming an issue but no other thoughts at first blush
What fun are superpowers if there's not a bit of collateral damage?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Code for tacos

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhovianBeast
Are these normal high schoolers who recently got powers or high-school age people who HAVE powers already?
I suppose it could be either... At least one person will be getting powers very soon after the game starts but it doesn't have to apply to everyone.

Quote:
If the former, what are the restrictions on gear? Things commonly available to high schoolers, or can we begin with spidey suits, batarangs, specialized weapons, etc?
Gear outside the normal high-school kid's stuff should be tied up into an advantage or a complication... Yes I got cool stuff due to my contacts (or my father/uncle's contacts) or perhaps I stole them or am beholden to someone for them. Go ahead and propose whatever you like, the GM's job is to say no and/or negotiate down.

Quote:
Is the main source of metahuman abilities the chemical weapons?
For at least one character, however I'm not going to force origins. Just make it a good backstory.

Quote:
I presume you're looking for 'Good' characters who have a respect for human life? My characters get a bit murder-y when I don't have this in mind to begin with.
We had tried that in Tokyo but the PC playing the PTSD captain america/punisher hybrid dropped out of the game. as the resident do-gooder I can say it would have at least been a very tense roleplaying experience(s).

I think, maybe, we put this to comment amongst PCs for just that reason. It could be fun to roleplay but if it's going to make the game less than fun for someone I'd rather avoid it.

Quote:
You should also consider banning Variable Immunity, if it comes up.
Noted

Quote:
Trying to decide between rich kid melee regenerator or a low middle-class mechanic sniper. The first works in any scenario, the second works if I can start with a rifle.
A rifle can be a lot of different things. >.>

Last edited by gravenimages; 06-03-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
That's fine, I'll be asleep by then, driving all day tomorrow. Might be able to get back online in about 20 hours, otherwise it'll be 6/4 before I can.
Quote:
Old 06-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Code for tacos

Tools
User Statistics
Questions answered above. Still working on things, sorry for the slowness.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
I'm baaaaack. And I have a character.

Decided the sniper would be more fun, running with it if that's okay.

HORNET is a highly developed rifle, firing a laser projectile contained using a magnetic field. Has an alt-fire designed to incapacitate personnel, computers, even possibly vehicles.

So, my backstory leaves off just after the weapons attack. Judd's just gained his powers, doesn't know he has them yet. Depending on how much time passes between the weapons attack and the story beginning, he may or may not know when the story begins.
Quote:

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Code for tacos

Tools
User Statistics
Gathering up Panda's stuff from the players looking thread:

Name: Samantha Warren
Codename: Epitome
Power Profile: Paragon-style hero. Flight, Super Strength, Super Speed, Super Toughness, Force Projection
Background: Samantha Warren was born and raised on the East Coast. She never left her home in the middle of the big city, thus making her a city girl through and through. Samantha wasn't a particularly rebellious child, setting her apart from her youngest sister, Abigail, who was a considerably more independent child. Samantha didn't get her powers until a terrorist attack on her city saw a number of chemical weapons set off, killing many and hospitalizing many more. A few people, like Samantha developed powers. It was shortly after that Samantha took on the name Epitome, and began to act as a superhero.

Samantha is relatively decent in school. She's a solid B student at the very least. She's not super popular, but it's not necessarily because she's part of the 'uncool' crowd. She's just not a cheerleader or jock type, so doesn't get a ton of attention.

Outside of school, Samantha doesn't do a ton of studying. What good grades she gets, she gets by virtue of simply understanding the material. She instead spends her time helping out around the house, or with her parent's little mom and pop style business. Alternatively, when she doesn't have work to do, she hangs out with friends, most notably Cynthia Progan, a girl who could theoretically be considered her 'bestie.'

Cynthia is a girl around Samantha's age, currently going through her goth phase. She's got the sort of sense of humor that leads her to play a bunch of practical jokes, and suggest outrageous activities. She's active, but isn't any particular sort of athlete. Rebellious in that she likes to sneak out at night -- and occasionally pressure Samantha into coming along. She's not much of a partier, but doesn't mind hanging out in loud places bustling with activity.

As for Samantha... She's a 'good girl' type. She's not especially rebellious, and feels a certain obligation to her family. Outside of her circle of friends, she doesn't go out of her way to meet new people in most cases. She has a bit of a hero complex in that if she CAN do something to help someone, she usually will -- even if helping them inconveniences her or puts her at risk. She's probably been scolded once or twice for being too reckless or naive... which is probably why her parents made her sign up for self-defense classes at some point.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by 'involved'... I figure less-gifted types wouldn't be much use in the actual fighting -- but they might be really useful for RP surrounding the mechanical aspects, and could be great hooks to get me into the action. So... I guess closer to CW Superhero shows, probably.

Typical mundane existence for Samantha. She's a high school girl, so... Wake up, go to school, hang out with friends, go home, do homework, etc. That's the most mundane of the mundane. Now, to keep things interesting, I assume there would also be particular things that she does with her friends that may or may not involve her eventually using her powers in some capacity. Probably. Or at least things that tip her off to something she can do when she gets a free moment.

I sort of think of it in terms of how the Persona game series works. The characters have what basically amounts to a superpower -- but they've got to juggle their normal lives, ordinary responsibilities, relationships, and the use of those powers to work toward some goal before it's too late.

I imagine that there probably IS something deeper to the terrorist attacks -- probably something for the GM to determine. But even if there isn't, It could just be the first domino in a chain of events that bring about other baddies.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:31 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16709
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Hey Beast?

Yeah, I kind of have an idea that also involves guns. Sneaky sneaky.

It's still your call, but that information seems like that might be relevent for your call.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Bibs!

Wait, no, that's not right. Dibs!

Joking aside, I think I'll stick with my character, should graven decide it's mechanically sound and allowable.
Quote:
Old 06-03-2017, 10:42 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16709
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
That's fine. Just giving a head's up.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Code for tacos

Tools
User Statistics
Considered that but I am guessing that your builds will be different enough.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Backstory's up.
Quote: