Game Thread Episode 3: Bannock Cave - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > What the Forest Holds
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM
broseidon broseidon is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-06-2018
RPXP: 131
broseidon broseidon
Posts: 49
Leorm's first thought upon seeing a four-foot-tall nature creature was "hey, Swilton's back!" But then, upon closer inspection and meditation, Leorm's Mind Eye ability did not reveal a connection to the creature, unlike with Swilton. This, Leorm's powerful brain (which, unlike regular brains, which are made of grey matter and white matter, is made of red matter and redder matter) captured within the first four nanoseconds of the creature's approach. The Mind's Eye ability is instinctive and opens the way to some mysterious powers. Leorm's eyes were a bit slower in recognizing that the creature did, in fact, look nothing like Swiloon, other than the relative size and nature-ness. Once Leorm's eyes had caught up, his mind started racing.

I have definitely never seen one of those before. Should we chase after it? Is that the Briarvex? Is it a baby Briarvex? It looked like a baby Briarvex. Also, what's with these thorns? It's like someone lived here but then got dragged out. Was that Ulfric? Or maybe the little girl Demure?

Leorm realizes that his mind is babbling in excitement, then decides to decide upon a course of action. Leorm moves towards the storage room exit and sticks his attractive crimson head out, staring down the hallway towards the chief's quarters, holding his torch out in front of him in the hopes of seeing something. Turning back into the room, he asks Karl:

"Karl. Everything in this cave has seemed menacing so far; I've had the impression that one false step would lead us to horrible deaths instantly. That twig goblin looked curious, wouldn't you say? Like it was the one afraid of us, and not the other way around? Once you're done making piles, should we go after it and see if we find something interesting?"
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 PM
HQD HQD is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-14-2019
RPXP: 486
HQD HQD HQD HQD HQD
Posts: 942
Karl kneels, bearded mouth agape, blinking in disbelief. After a moment, he closes his eyes and mouth, taking a very deep breath, and slowly letting it out. This day is... I think simply too much for me.

Shaking his head, Karl calmly returns to his sorting, his eyebrows high in resignation.

"You know what, Leorm," he slowly intones. "Sure. Sure, let's do that." He calmly continues his prior activity, almost as if trying to convince himself he had seen nothing.
__________________
One space marine may fall to a hundred foes, but ten may conquer thousands.

GM of A Name in the Stars, ffg WH40k Black Crusade. Semi-open recruitment. PM for details.

Last edited by HQD; 03-26-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Qrious's Avatar
Qrious Qrious is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-26-2019
RPXP: 168
Qrious Qrious
Posts: 68
Karl crouches down to sort through the remains of the stored gear. The majority of what he finds is broken: splintered wood from the shelves, arrows snapped in half, and tatters of leather and canvas packs. A few items are unbroken but effectively useless, including a ten-inch length of chain and a small, roughly whittled pipe. Karl finds no weapons - at least, none that aren't broken, although he sees the remains of a few bows that were snapped like twigs.

A few small bags survived the ransacking largely unscathed. They seem to be empty, but after Karl finds a crushed and inedible pouch of dried meat in one pack's side pocket, he looks briefly inside the other few bags to see if they hold anything more useful. He finds nothing in most of the others, but inside a shoulder-carried bag made of tanned hide with a single red stripe down the front, he finds nothing. Not the inside of the bag - just darkness where he would expect its interior to be.

All told, the sorting process takes three or four minutes. As Karl stands and turns to Leorm, whether to share his finding or to leave it be, the cave shudders around them. With unexpected speed, a few thick roots along the ground lurch into motion and begin to whip around blindly. When they make contact with the adventurers' legs, they purposefully begin to wrap around the lower halves of their bodies. Leorm uses his shield and a well-placed kick to knock away the roots before they can constrict around him, but Karl isn't as fortunate. His legs are completely bound by three or four stout roots. Just as quickly as the roots animated, they now fall still, and the ones Leorm escaped are frozen grasping at the air. While the pair assesses their current situation, a sound echoes from further in the cave: multiple sets of footsteps, only moments away.

SetupKarl is currently considered grappled and doesn't have access to any weapons/gear he carries on his belt, if he has any; this includes the dagger he took from the barracks. Leorm has his shield out from when he inspected the forge, and if he wants to equip a weapon, he'll have to put away either the shield or the torch.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 PM
HQD HQD is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-14-2019
RPXP: 486
HQD HQD HQD HQD HQD
Posts: 942
Karl grunts and gasps while squirming and straining at the roots constricting him.

"Gah! Leorm!" he calls out. "Now might be a good time to test that torching idea of yours!" He curses himself, his eyes glancing to his hammer where it lies next to the void, red-striped bag. Sloppy... Stupid... Clumsy!
__________________
One space marine may fall to a hundred foes, but ten may conquer thousands.

GM of A Name in the Stars, ffg WH40k Black Crusade. Semi-open recruitment. PM for details.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 AM
broseidon broseidon is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-06-2018
RPXP: 131
broseidon broseidon
Posts: 49
Leorm rushes over to Karl, picks up his fallen hammer, hands it to him, and says,

"I'm not going to risk burning you. Break the roots off while I defend our position so you don't get flanked. If we're attacked, I'll use the torch to be the eyes and the shield to protect us, you provide the offensive with that hammer of yours. I'll be waiting at the door. Hurry!"


The Scarlet Demon rushes to the door and crouches in a gladiatorial position - shield in front, torch poised over the shield, hoping the flames would ward off any wood-based invaders.

Last edited by broseidon; 03-27-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Qrious's Avatar
Qrious Qrious is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-26-2019
RPXP: 168
Qrious Qrious
Posts: 68
The footsteps grow louder, and the adventurers see two humanoids fill the entrance to the storage room - looking much like the one that fled minutes before. They seem taken aback that one of the intruders is not restrained, but they nevertheless crouch down and prepare to fight.
Roll Initiative!
Dice Initiative for Leorm:
1d20+2 (17)+2 Total = 19
Dice Initiative for Karl:
1d20-1 (1)-1 Total = 0
Dice Initiative for Needle Blight A:
1d20+1 (18)+1 Total = 19
Dice Initiative for Needle Blight B:
1d20+1 (14)+1 Total = 15
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-06-2018, 05:37 AM
broseidon broseidon is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-06-2018
RPXP: 131
broseidon broseidon
Posts: 49
Leorm, realising the difficult situation he and his trusty sidekick find themselves in, resolves that it is time to think strategically. He attempts to set alight Needle Blight A using his torch, aiming to cause some chaos among the two blights, then continues to block the door to give Karl more time to free himself from the thorns.

Dice Scarlet Flame Attack:
1d20+6 (13)+6 Total = 19
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by broseidon; 06-08-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB