Game Thread Act 2, Scene 3: Travel by Starlight - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Chosen of the Elements
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 18405
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 6,007
Act 2, Scene 3: Travel by Starlight

right-aligned image
The seaborne journey takes another 2 weeks, mostly uneventful. The winds grow colder, but Captain Russ, healed of his wounds, assures you that this is standard. "Wind comes out of a different quadrant on this side o' the sea. One reason travel stops. Stormhaven gets the storms, Meathesport gets the cold. You can use the seal skin coats below decks, if you like. Keep em, if you need em.".

Russ knows that the goblins have been talking. He's not interested in having them as slaves or sailors. But neither is he keen on releasing them to the Meathesport is the great city and capital of the country of BotheBothian authorities. They'll be hung as pirates, surely. It would be a greater mercy to do the deed at sea, if that's the plan.

Finally, the sheltered harbor of Meathesport comes into view. The rooftops and tree branches, seen from afar, are covered with a dusting of snow. The Kind Lily becomes a hive of activity, as the fussy business of navigating shoals and docking a ship takes the full crew's attention. After a few hours of that slow transit, the Chosen are again affixed to the land.

It is dusk. Porters and roustabouts scurry below, ready to unload the ship. Further down the pier, a well-bundled crowd moved back and forth, to their homes and stores and taverns.

"Well, this is it," says Captain Russ. "I'll make sure that your Gran gets a good price, and her fair share of the take, Miss Thornhill. Now, if you'll take Let's not think about who transcribed this map, back in Stile . Perhaps it was Jasmine all along? Romundo?your map you'll remember that your Rhyll is a good trek inland, up into the foothills of The neighboring country. Think of Meathesport as being London, Bothe as England, and Gealdom as Wales. Except they're part of a larger continent.Gealdom. I suspect you'll need to figure how to arrange transport. Maybe see if there ain't any news of your friend's visions." He offers to shake everyone's hands, and makes it clear that you're welcome to spend the night on the ship, of that's easiest.
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
  #2  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:03 PM
GryffinSong's Avatar
GryffinSong GryffinSong is offline
Dreaming of Dragons
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-22-2018
RPXP: 2657
GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong GryffinSong
Posts: 1,876
The remainder of the journey is a balm to Tyrnan's spirit. Though her terrible wounds heal remarkably swiftly, the pain and memories linger. So deadly, in such a short span of time. This is likely what their lives will be like, as heroes. Fighting evil wherever they find it, being harmed nearly to death, and only surviving due to the diligence and teamwork of the Chosen, their elements, and their powers. Her new family. She smiles at the thought, though she misses Gran.

The following morning she ventures to the room with the goblins in it and casts her spell. She asks them their names, what their lives were like before becoming pirates, and asks what they think she should recommend for them. They're small, like her, and she's occasionally heard of goblins becoming allies. But their reputation for sneakiness concerns her. And, she thinks, wouldn't they simply betray their masters at the first opportunity? But to murder them? She sighs. Perhaps it would have been better for them to have died in battle, rather than for all of them to be faced with this moral dilemma. She sits across from them, head in hands, listening to whatever they have to say for themselves. And she wonders if she can trust what they say.

But in her heart, she feels pity.
__________________
Trill & Val

Here be dragons ...
On indefinite hiatus from gaming ...
  #3  
Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 5632
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 6,453
The Kind LilyThe fight had been short but brutal. The pirates had suffered the most losses, but the Lily's crew had not gone unscathed. While they took care of the fallen and the wounded, Vissandra helmed the ship. Her side ached horribly, her other wounds comparatively were merely scratches. She held fast to the wheel. From her perch the young chosen watched her friends move about, tending to their duties. Jasmine and Romundo escorted the goblins, Christia bounced about helping with the sails like an expert Dux and Tyr were about as well. Such beautiful bonds they had created.

The assimar thinks fleetingly about the items she still had in her pack. The items she had been carrying around since leaving Tyrnan's home. She had held on to them thinking that there would be time to deliver them later. But as her mother often told her, "It's always later." The blue-eyed sailor used to think it was merely a complaint of her mother's whenever V begged off of doing one thing or another. Now she knew what those three words had actually meant. The former daughter of a baker and cleric finally understood the just like "tomorrow", "later" never came. Only "today" ever arrived.

Feeling decisive, V silently promised to deliver her items as soon as the storm passed and she could leave her post. But first, we have to get through this storm. The skies were dark, the leading edge of the storm had begun dropping rain on the ship. Within a fifteen minutes V was soaked, but it didn't bother her as much as it did others. This was her element. She felt at home with the water and so she used that connection to bolster her resolve and focus.

--~~~~---~~~~--~~~~~--

The sky was clear; finally. The stars were bright and gleaming against the dark of the night. Romundo was on deck somewhere enjoying the air and his element. The others were below either asleep or busy somewhere. Vissandra looked at what lay in her hands. Six simple bands of gold, expertly engraved with skilled stylized renderings of the elements. Simple, but meaningful. She had had them made while they were in Tyr's village. Gifts for her friends to show how much they meant to her and how much being one of the Chosen meant as well. In her hand now the bracelet that bore the single filled circle that Red once said represented Dark. Beneath that was the very short note she had written in case her friend was asleep. It simply said: "Thank you for your friendship. Always- V". A single drop of water was drawn next to her initial.

Clenching the items in her fist, she went about the task of finding the Chosen of Dark. His would be the first delivery. Then the others, each with their own bracelet and identical note.
LandTalk of travel afoot left V with a little bit of longing. Still aboard ship the knowledge of that ache, being so far from sea, caused her naturally cheery disposition to mellow a bit. Her hair settled a bit more about her shoulders. It had been Think Captain Salazar from Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Only not so creepy. More celestial-ish.floating about her all these weeks as if she had been sailing IN the sea and not ON it.

When Captain Russ offered to allow them one more night aboard ship, she wanted to jump on the chance, but knew it wasn't fair to the others. Especially Jasmine or Tyrnan. This is why she remained silent of the subject.

"How will we be able to check on news from Red? Is there a way for messages to arrive faster than we did? I don't understand. Magic?" Vissandra, sad and distracted, could not focus enough to really see how such a thing was possible. "You guys decide, ok? And I think, Captain Russ, you should have the final word on the goblins. Your ship, your choice. But maybe you can consider releasing them far from town. Let them manage on their own. Maybe?"
OOCV gives her friends some very simple gender neutral gold bracelets. Do with them as you will. She probably said something like, "Wear them, sell them, keep em in your pack. Whatever, it's cool." Or the equivalent. lol Anyways, that's her main action. That and not knowing how Red would send word of any vision updates.
__________________
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
  #4  
Old 02-06-2018, 05:57 AM
chocoladevla's Avatar
chocoladevla chocoladevla is offline
breathsunflower450rainbow
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 21693
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Posts: 25,912
left-aligned image


The weeks that passed were soothing to Christia's soul, and maybe even a bit boring. She started to count the days that passed but after 'three' it was getting difficult and Christia did not like things getting difficult and accepted the fact that days could pass without having to be calculated. She had nowhere to go or nowhere to be, she was with friends and the Captain provided food for labor, that was fair.
Adjusting her coat she grabbed a blanket out of her backpack and added it to her clothes, she was cold. The Captain had said it was to e expected and nothing out of the ordinary but the Dwarfette was confused how winds could originate from different quadrants. There were clouds and there was wind, but now there were quadrants? In her head, it sounded like giants and she could envision giants blowing the wind from a different direction, it was funny despite the fact that the cold affected her mood.

She had listened to Captain Russ his opinion about preferring to kill the goblins and Christia felt wise, for having said this before. She had been more than willing to grant them safety and a painless death instead of being hung like a pirate without honor, but she was hesitant to offer it once more. She felt sorry for the goblins but knew she wasn't a high ranked clever person who was allowed to decide upon someone else's fate.

It was time to say farewell and goodbye and Christia was almost feeling sad to leave the sea and wind to go on land. She did not look at the map and trusted others to deal with it, she only tried to remember the issue of trying to find transport and Rhyll and Gear... already forgot, why am I even trying?'
Quote:
"How will we be able to check on news from Red? Is there a way for messages to arrive faster than we did? I don't understand. Magic? You guys decide, ok?"
'is she asking ME? Is she talking to... me???' Almost in panic Christia looked to the left and to the right, and wasn't sure what to answer. Is was rare she was asked for advice and this matter about how to commun.. communi... talk with Red was as much a mystery to Christia as it was to V. "I only know that one can talk and one can listen, and I even know our Clan sometimes used birds to pass a written message, but no one ever told me how birds know who to deliver the message to. I sometimes saw them fly and wondered how they would know... Maybe they are born with a map in their wings? Or are bright to have the map of the worls insode their tiny heads. Birds do not have big heads so maybe they have big brains stuffed in a small brainy room?"
distracted by her own bird-rant Christia pretended to look at the map
"is there a big X on it????"

OOCAll birthdays have passed and finally up to speed again, apologies for the delay

 
  #5  
Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 18405
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 6,007
Tyrnan TalkThe goblins certainly talk like miserable wretches, though Ie., an Insight check suggests: 'don't believe it all'Tyrnan is not sure how much to believe. They introduce themselves as Gim and Crackle-Jaw. They speak of poor homes with bedraggled spouses and many needy children, all desperately awaiting the bounty of their seaward parent. They talk about wanting honest work, but finding only the beatings of a hobgoblin press-gang. They like the sea - it is warmer than their cold hard tunnels and sod huts. But as dutiful family folk, they need to return home.

"But home need much gold. Or silver, much silver." says Crackle-Jaw. "Raiders with no ship have no gold no silver. Your captain has gold and silver? We be good sailors and fighters for your beard-captain! We trained well, in sailing and fighting. Your tall sailors did not use arrows, we shoot straight and pierce enemy hearts!

"Or..."
adds Gim "Nice beauty Tyrnan finds gold? We follow her? Work for our freedom, and take generous small share north to our hungry child-bellies waiting?"
On the decks, debating the next moveCaptain Russ, sober again (once sailing began to go smooth, his cask flowed more generously until the hard business of landing approached) still looks unhappy about the fact that he might have to decide the fate of the prisoners. The sailors bustling around, coiling ropes and folding sails, listen carefully, and clearly do not like the idea of freeing the prisoners - most would prefer to hand the goblins over to the local constable. But they know better than to gainsay their captain. "Sure, it'll be my decision if no one else makes it," the capitan replies to V. "Casting them loose a day's sail north might be the least cruel option. It's better than they deserve, no doubt. I suppose it's your charter, as much as anything else, so if you think that's for the best, we could hire out an idle fishing boat. I don't expect to take the Lily back East until the season turns."

Christia asks about the map - is there a big X? Well, it's not big, but their destination is indeed clearly marked. The map was reproduced custom-purpose for the journey. Most of the path to Rhyll will take the Chosen along a boldly-drawn line labeled "The Duke's Road" - presumably a well-trodden path that appears to cut through the heartland of the country. Only near the border of Bothe, where a series of telltale upside-down "U"s indicate hilly terrain, does the main road end. A tentative squiggly line traces from there to Rhyll. It's not clear if this indicates a smaller road, or if the person who transcribed it in Stile just meant to indicate 'here will be a jaggedy walk west'.

Yta, the first mate, looks at the map over Christia's shoulder. "I'm from just south of Meathesport. There'll be regular wagons along the Duke's road. A faster coach could be rented, too, if you're flush with cash. 4 day's ride? Could be a week on foot. Transport would stop here," she points to the end of the bold line, "at Mercyshill. I don't have much to tell you of what's beyond. It's mostly rustics and hill people, from what I've heard."

No one has answers about V's concerns about communicating with Redenius. Russ shrugs "Such is the sailing life. You don't hear from people for months at a time. There's no way another ship beat us across the sea, save the Dragon Turtle. And they're not carrying messages for you." He looks around for Captain Fran's ship, but it's too dark to see who else is moored. "Mages and Clerics would be your only bet, I suppose. Sounds expensive. I've never bothered with that. But from what you say, your business is more important than mine."
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
  #6  
Old 02-07-2018, 04:13 AM
Zubene's Avatar
Zubene Zubene is offline
The Gingerbread Man.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-08-2019
RPXP: 2542
Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene
Posts: 2,302
Romundo Kaarcora - Human Augur | AC 17 | HP: 16/16
Lucky 3/3 | Arcane Recovery 1/1 | Elemental Bond Channeling 2/2 | Portent 12, 10


After the fight with the pirates, the journey went pretty much uninterrupted. One night when the sky was clear, Romundo decided to climb up to the main deck and do some stargazing. Viki took off from the boy's shoulder as soon as they stepped under the open sky. Her black body almost disappeared instantly in the darkness - only her dark silhoutte could be seen whenever she flew in front of the moon. Romundo wacthed his familiar with glee. The confine of the ship had started to wear on him and he could not wait to hit land. At least, Viki could fly free.

Romundo heard footsteps behind him. Turning around, he saw V walking toward him. "Beautiful, isn't it? The moon, the stars... Still, I find the darkness most compelling. All the mysteries hidden behind its shroud... Don't you agree?"

A faint smile adorned the augur's face. It was apparent that the Chosen of Darkness was at peace. When V extended her hand out, Romundo turned to find the Chosen of Water offering him a bundle. "Huh? What's this?"

Romundo accepted the gift, his heart pounding. He had never received a gift before. He had accepted many offerings at the temple but those were for the Raven God, not him. His hand was trembling slightly as he opened it. A bracelet and a note.

After reading the note, Romundo cleared his throat before saying his gratitude but despite the effort his voice came out shaky. "Th-thanks, V. This... this means everything to me."

***

Romundo shook his head when Captain Russ suggested letting the goblins loose. In his mind, that course of action would only lead the two goblins back to crime. Honest work, like Trynan suggested, would probably be better. "Captain, perhaps you can use the extra pairs of hands? They're seasoned sailors if a little undisciplined. Still, I believe they will be more useful than I was. And plus, they are pretty handy with bows..."

Turning to the other Chosens, Romundo added to the discussion, "Let's walk around the town for a little bit. Ask around if someone is willing to give us a ride. Maybe we can even get some clues about what is happening in Rhyll."

 


__________________
Apothecary - Bard - Enchanter - Bounty Hunter - Swordmage

Last edited by Zubene; 02-07-2018 at 04:14 AM.
  #7  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:39 AM
Bella Lightfoot's Avatar
Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-03-2018
RPXP: 1263
Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot Bella Lightfoot
Posts: 505
Jasmineís mood was low for the first week or so after their fight. She busied herself with day to day activities below decks, trying to ignore the two captive goblins that were still tied to the beam near to the galley. Jasmine avoided the conversation of what to do with them as much as possible; she was still so conflicted about it that she left it to the others, somewhat selfishly. She knew that Tyrnan had spoken with them, but didnít really want to know the outcome. The thought of them having lives and families somewhere just drove home the fact that Jasmine still needed to get used to the responsibility of being a Chosen, and what she would need to fight for.

The weather turned colder as they drew closer to Meathesport. Jasmine kept herself warm by tapping into her element, and her hands often glowed red with warmth. She frequently conjured Cinder as well, for comfort as much as warmth. She would invite Christia to play with him too, intrigued as to whether her element would do anything to her little familiar.

The present from V was unexpected, but very welcome. The fact that her elemental opposite would think to include her was touching to Jasmine, and she wore the bracelet with pride.

A few days out from land, Jasmine began to study the map that she had brought along from Stile. She was grateful that Yta had some insights about their journey, and was enthusiastic about the possibility of renting a coach; she didnít fancy the idea of another long trek on foot, but the thought of actually having her feet on dry land again filled her with such happiness that a long walk would probably be a welcome change.

At Vís thoughts of contacting Red, Jasmine interjected

"Should we try and find a mage in the city to send a message to him? I am afraid itís a bit beyond my magical capabilities at the moment, although I hope to be able to learn spells like that in the future. And we could do as Romundo suggests and try and find out a bit more about Rhyll. We donít really know what weíre walking into there."
__________________
With great power comes a great electricity bill
  #8  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 5632
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 6,453
right-aligned image

Litening carefully to what everyone was suggesting, V felt a sense of quiet relief when Captain Russ suggested releasing the goblins elsewhere and when Jasmine suggested finding a mage to contact Red. "That sounds good. Hopefully all is well back in Style and Red has further news for us. Anything that could help us. Should we take care of that in the morning? It would give us more time to get everything we need doing done."

Removing the blue bandana from her hair she began to weave the mass into a simple braid. Surprisingly, the strand cooperated. It was a nervous gesture and perhaps that's why the nearly sentient tresses obeyed for once. The aasimar's kept going back to Red and what he might be able to tell them. Their mission was still fairly unknown. The path ahead was a giant question mark except for a few details and she was worried they wouldn't be ready for whatever lay ahead.

"I like the idea of leasing a wagon. Or at least some horses. Which ever we can afford most. I think that'll have to wait until tomorrow. We also need supplies. Food. I can handle water. Refilling our waterskin is fairly easy for me now. But we should probably bring some any way. We don't know what's ahead. Or if I'll be in any shape to use my element when we return." Worry turned her words dark. But then she shook her head, shaking the thoughts out.

Grinning, she shrugged. "So, Captian, where's a good place to stay? Any suggestions?"

OOCKind of guessing it's too late to go rent a cab. If I'm wrong then I'll adjust my post.

 

 
__________________
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by lydklein; 02-08-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: fixed image link
  #9  
Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 AM
chocoladevla's Avatar
chocoladevla chocoladevla is offline
breathsunflower450rainbow
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 21693
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Posts: 25,912
left-aligned image


Quote:
"I'm from just south of Meathesport. There'll be regular wagons along the Duke's road. A faster coach could be rented, too, if you're flush with cash. 4 day's ride? Could be a week on foot. Transport would stop here, at Mercyshill. I don't have much to tell you of what's beyond. It's mostly rustics and hill people, from what I've heard."
Christia liked walking, it would take time indeed but who would not prefer the fresh air instead of being locked up in a fast coach? Well, obviously Romundo preferred some ride and Christia thought it was clever to search for someone who would offer a ride, it would most definitely cost less if they could find someone. There was obviously some suspicion about Rhyll, Jasmine was sharing the same need to investigate and find some clues as Romundo was saying but any danger was, in fact, NO danger to Christia. If you should worry about any danger to come you could better stay at home.
Almost hypnotized by V braiding her hair Christia kept silent and listened to the others, and she was confused when V talked about a need for food and shelter. 'Does she not know you can do without food for a very long time if only you knew how to distract yourself? There had been days where I just entered a state of awakened sleep, and it did not kill me...'. "How much gold do we need to find a place to stay? And a wagon or a horse, or food? If we try and find some day's work we might be able to save some but I do not mind to walk as well. It will only take a bit longer... "
It was odd for Christia to notice the need for gold was such an issue to get some luxury but she kept silent about her opinion. 'Maybe they had a different past, maybe I should accept, observe and learn and not judge...'

 
  #10  
Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-20-2020
RPXP: 18405
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 6,007
oocScene closed. Please see OOC thread.
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB