Closed Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Viktor Von Vox
Alternate Critical Rule [Pathfinder]

I like to run an alternate critical hit which eliminates weak critical hits. I never liked confirming a critical hit that's weaker than a normal attacked. Since two or more dice are rolled on a successful critical, I tell my players to roll one less die and treat that die as if it were maximized.

Example Longsword Attack with 12 strength (Default Rules)
2d8+2 slashing damage

Example Same Attack with Alternate Rules
1d8+10 slashing damage
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 12:44 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8123
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
One of the alternate methods I have seen is that a crit is automatically max damage.

-me
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6336
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Well, one method I've considered, if you're not afraid to get into some basic location damage, is to set up a table of body locations and apply a -2 circumstance penalty to enemy actions (or something similar) based on the location. It's not more damage, but it does make the critical strictly better than a normal attack and it kind of fits the flavor, as someone's not going to be fighting at full capacity after a heavy war hammer hit to the ribs.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 04:44 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I also have some crit and fumble charts that I use, but they can cause some power balance issues but I think they are fun. I have mine filled out to require 2 d100 rolls and can do from regular crit damage to insta-kill.

I use a modified one against the PCs to avoid insta-killing them - that bit isn't fun for anyone.

-me
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38980
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
I wrote out a critical hit deck that we use in Pathfinder. 21 cards, and each one has a simple description on it "regular critical", or "critical at +1 multiplier" or "artery blow, critical +1 multiplier plus 2d6 bleed". You get one for a crit, choice of one from two on a natural 20, and an additional draw if they roll a natural 20 on their critical confirmation roll.

Each card has slightly different effects for melee, ranged, and magical saving throw - three sets of seven, with seven cards having 'regular' critical effects of one kind, improved critical effects of a second, and amazing critical effects of a third. And my friends added a 22nd card that is stellar in all three varieties.

And, on a player's birthday, I always give them a draw from the deck at the start of the session that they can save and play instead of rolling a dice.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:15 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7505
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
I have found this chart to be both fun, realistic, and very entertaining!
Crit and fumble chart
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Half Ratling. All honor.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 456
Sagira Sagira Sagira Sagira Sagira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanzen View Post
I have found this chart to be both fun, realistic, and very entertaining!
Crit and fumble chart
It seems like fun, but I like the idea of having total creative license to roleplay causing some unique mayhem if my critical deals enough damage to be a killing blow. And I like the idea of a DM being creative about my fumbles, too. If the outcome is predictable, is it really fun for everyone?
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 12:07 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
I created one that takes a few extra rolls, but takes character size into account.
The table goes from -30 to 130 on percentiles, but each size increase is -15.
The crits are then arranged with the lower numbers be lower on the body (feet, legs) and the higher numbers further up (head).

Ex: halfling crits a human then rolls 48, the final number is 33.

-me
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Half Ratling. All honor.

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, because halflings taking a Small Weapon damage roll penalty in the first place clearly hasn't nerfed them enough. We need them to be totally worthless so nobody ever plays them.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:25 AM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
It isn't in place to nerf things, but to adjust the location to make it more realistic-ish.
Small size creatures can easily reach the chest of critters up to Large and Huge, but chopping off a leg and causing them to bleed out or puncturing a lung is worse than taking out an eye in most cases. Also, ranged weapons don't take the penalty to adjust location.

-me
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 07:19 AM
Half Ratling. All honor.

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, I see the point now. You know, even severing the Achilles tendon can be worse than taking an eye now that I think of it. Without that thing, a mob could end up kneeling or even prone.

Last edited by Sagira; Aug 31st, 2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
PowerOfTheUrn
I feel like severing a tendon shouldn't happen unless the character is at 0 hitpoints and useless in the fight anyway. Even if an enemy isn't technically 'dead', changing them so severely in such a way should be a big deal.

But that's just me.
Closed Thread