RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 01:15 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 51595
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Leaving the DM screen!

Hi all,

I played AD&D back in the 80s, but after I DMed in college I never got to play again. I currently DM for a couple of kid groups -- I am a literature teacher and I use RPGs to teach storytelling, character, symbolism, plot, and just to get the kids' writing unleashed. I also have a couple of adult campaigns in various stages of progress, but I'm looking for an opportunity to play again!

I love text-based gaming, and was a very enthusiastic player of text-based RPGs (MUDs etc) twenty or so years ago! Hoping that PBP will be my answer.

Cheers,
LC
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 01:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4723
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
I love you already, as someone who went to school to teach (and did a project using music to teach english). Welcome from someone else new to the site~
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50680
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

It's great to see you sharing your passions with the next generation. What game do you guys play? I've had a lot of luck with No Thank you Evil, a derivative of the Cypher system, that a has complexity level directly tied to the players' ages. It's nice because it's rules-light, but still enough crunch to work on some basic math skills as well.

Feel free to invite your adult campaign friends here too. The more the merrier!

Any good stories to share from your time with AD&D or your MUDs? Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know idf there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

if you love text based gaming, you are in the right spot!!!

Cool idea you have, to use RPG's to teach. I wrote a paper in my High School English class about expanding your vocabulary through comics, and surprised my English teacher. I think it's cool when teachers think outside the (school) box, and find fun ways to get lessons learned!

Happy gaming!
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:27 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35991
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodmorning lostcheerio,

- that's a sad username, hehehehe -
Looking at your profile image I assume you must own/love/play the boardgame Wingspan a lot? (if not, I can really recommend it ;-). Really love the fact you are teaching kids D&D, I believe that it can be so powerful to use fantasy and writing in a very cool adventure guided by a teacher so thank you for that.

Have you been checking the site yet and found a game you would like to make an application/character for? What are you going to make? (race and class). Almost forgot again, welcome over here :-)

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
MBlackmer
Welcome, lostcheerio, I too am newly signed up here. Like you I began playing DnD in the 80's in high school. Might have actually started in 78 or 79. Our DM was our music teacher. You had to fight the dungeon as much as any creatures. He was a great DM. I am still looking around at the general posts here but will likely be trying out a game soon.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18532
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Welcome!

I wish I had teachers who taught writing using RPGs. I thought I hated writing until I was an adult and got into doing it for myself rather than for strict academic prompts. Now I love it, but I wish I had found an interest in it (and rpgs) a lot younger.

I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for here! Hope to see you around.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4606
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Cheers, LC:

We're in a very similar position! I've been stuck behind the DM screen ever since I filled in for a friend back in college, and I haven't been able to escape. I'm so desperate just to be a player, for once.

I also happen to DM for kids groups, and I used to be a high school ELA teacher many moons ago. I'm teaching at university now, in a completely different subject, but I loved my time as a lit teacher. Using RPGs is a great way to stir creativity and reinforce important skills.

I hope you find what you need!
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 04:29 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
MoroseFireball
Hi LC,

Sounds like you've got a bunch of experience. Awesome to see that so many of you are teachers and take the time to spread the positive experience you've had with DnD or other d20 based games to new generations or as a teaching tool to get students engaged in learning. Hope the site provides you and me (new member too ) with some fun stories and interesting plot twists!

Have a good one!
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Welcome to the club chummer!

It's great to see you sharing your passions with the next generation. What game do you guys play? I've had a lot of luck with No Thank you Evil, a derivative of the Cypher system, that a has complexity level directly tied to the players' ages. It's nice because it's rules-light, but still enough crunch to work on some basic math skills as well.

Any good stories to share from your time with AD&D or your MUDs? Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know idf there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
I've heard great things about No Thank You Evil! When I started using D&D in the classroom I was teaching middle school lit, and 4e was what we learned. I still use the at will / encounter / daily mechanic for spells and skills when they're starting out. I have found that they tend to get better at rules than I am pretty quickly, and the kids with supportive parents spend a lot of time reading their game books! We switched to 5e last year but I make my own modifications.

Most of what I remember from AD&D involves pencils and graph paper and a lot of numbers! You'd move, map your squares, check for traps, move, map your squares, check for traps, heh. In terms of MUDs, I played on ROM based games a lot, like Carrion Fields and Mirkwood. I miss it!
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
welcome!

if you love text based gaming, you are in the right spot!!!

Cool idea you have, to use RPG's to teach. I wrote a paper in my High School English class about expanding your vocabulary through comics, and surprised my English teacher. I think it's cool when teachers think outside the (school) box, and find fun ways to get lessons learned!

Happy gaming!
I have loved watching how games like Minecraft, WoW, etc. have changed language for kids! And the way that text-based communication has exploded the lexicon and opened up so many new expressions and shortcuts. Progress.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Goodmorning lostcheerio,

- that's a sad username, hehehehe -
Looking at your profile image I assume you must own/love/play the boardgame Wingspan a lot? (if not, I can really recommend it ;-). Really love the fact you are teaching kids D&D, I believe that it can be so powerful to use fantasy and writing in a very cool adventure guided by a teacher so thank you for that.

Have you been checking the site yet and found a game you would like to make an application/character for? What are you going to make? (race and class). Almost forgot again, welcome over here :-)
Thank you! I'm in the queue for doing a solo game first so I can figure out how things work and not embarrass myself! And I'm trying to read some games to get a sense of how things work. Thanks for the recommendation on the board game! I'd never heard of it actually.

I did make a character -- not sure about games yet. I've seriously not played as a player in so long, I almost wonder if I can even do it! Heh.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Vökva Reykur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6612
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcheerio View Post
Thank you! I'm in the queue for doing a solo game first so I can figure out how things work and not embarrass myself! And I'm trying to read some games to get a sense of how things work. Thanks for the recommendation on the board game! I'd never heard of it actually.

I did make a character -- not sure about games yet. I've seriously not played as a player in so long, I almost wonder if I can even do it! Heh.
Welcome, lostcheerio! Hope you find your cheerio home here with us!

Looks like you're on the right track already in reading games and such. If you haven't yet, I'm sure the New Player Solo Game (check out @chocoladevla's signature ) can get you up to speed on both the format and feel as a player; maybe even as a PbP DM. And if you're interested in playing on 5E, there's a folder around here that contains Continuous Recruitment Games, who never turn down an interested player! There are other game systems that use that recruitment style as well, plus a whole plethora of games looking for players.

Take your time, see the sights, say hello, and play with you soon!