Notices

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18532
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posting an Ad in Holiday Season

I'm almost done getting a game set up and ready for players. However, with a couple major holidays coming up, I'm a bit concerned about the timing.

From experience, it feels like most games open up really strong from initial excitement and slow down a bit as people settle in. I'm a bit worried that between holidays, busy work schedules this time of year, and people traveling, that slow down will become a stall. Either that, or we won't have that initial period of excitement that solidifies people's excitement.

Are any of these concerns legitimate? Would it be best to wait until the new year?

Sorry if this is a silly question. Thank you!
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
In my opinion, it varies.

For some people, the holidays are busy, and their posting slows, down to a crawl.

For others, the holidays aren't even holidays. We might be used to celebrating X on Y day, but not everyone does.

For more folks, the holidays are times when work slows down, and their free time opens up even more. If they aren't into Football, or don't have family nearby, they may have days or more open up, and want nothing more than to have a game or two to post in.

My advice: if you have a game idea, go for it. Waiting for "the best" time means that you are not taking advantage of the now time. And you'll never achieve best time anyway, so... why wait?
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 05:07 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame GM 2021

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18532
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Fair points! Thanks for the thoughtful response

I'm not quite ready yet, but hopefully I'll have it up soon

Last edited by DaysUntold; Nov 13th, 2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6336
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Another thing to consider is the time needed to actually get applications and whittle down players which, judging from the ads I've seen, usually takes two to three weeks. Even if you posted the ad right now, you'd likely end up starting after Thanksgiving in the United States.

Really, the big thing is picking a time that you can commit to, as I think all but one game I've been in dried up after the GM stopped posting, not from lack of player involvement. Usually, if you build it, they will come.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:20 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1583
Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius
Something I've noticed as an RL DM but a Online RPGX Player, is that a lot of people seem to get excited at the start of a game but then seem to taper off, due to forgetting about the site or becoming busy. In MY opinion, if I were to create a game (one day I will) I'd be taking a mix of people who are active regularly and post regularly who haven't been away for extended periods and also people who have interesting ideas. I had a DM of mine, Choc, just shut down a Hoard of the Dragon Queen game and a Xmas oneshot due to the fact that people just disappeared even with the oath of Sangus. Luckily I convinced them to carry the Xmas Oneshot on as a potential 2 player game, the other 2 people and I seemed keen on this, so we're back up and running. But I think the MAJOR thing that I've noticed in both Jim's game and Choc's is people who were initially keen but then disappeared, disrupting the flow of posting and thus really stunting the forum as other members who arent aware the player has bailed, are waiting for a reply.

I hope this is helpful in some way!