Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Okay, I've read half the entries, and I got to agree, nicely done everyone

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Victree-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26814
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
So, IDK if PIG's post means that we have to stop doing discussion of the entries / ingredients now... I think the whole point of putting things in spoilerbuttons was to avoid biasing the judges. Inem?

I see that there are a ton of (Infinity Engine?) Shadowrun videogames available on Steam. Any recommendations on which one is good to start with?
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Phial of Babel
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13765
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
I think Pig responded after all his judging was done.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Victree-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
You could be right. I don't see his post in Match 3, but it might be done just not posted yet. Or he may not be judging that round, since the opposition had their leg(s) broken!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50680
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Shadowrun returns Dragonfall is a good place to start.

Hong Kong is technically newer, but Dragonfall has the better story and if you play Honk Kong first you'll miss all the quality of life improvements they made.

Then they have community made adventures for both including complete remakes of the SNES and Sega games. It's good times and they go on sale rather often on multiple platforms

The Shadowrun returns games have been a gateway drug for many new players. I started with the novels myself. Burning bright by Ton Dowd is a great one that's not part of a series. There are more books about the main runner, but the stories aren't connected

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 02:06 PM
BigPiggyPigBigPig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39721
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
@Unko: Yeah I had assumed that it was okay to talk with you guys because I already judged but, to be safe, I'll avoid it.

PIG is always putting his snout in the wrong places ~~
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Victree-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
IDK, maybe it's okay if the judging was done! I'm just nervous is all, haha.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23344
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Shadowrun returns Dragonfall is a good place to start.

Hong Kong is technically newer, but Dragonfall has the better story and if you play Honk Kong first you'll miss all the quality of life improvements they made.

Then they have community made adventures for both including complete remakes of the SNES and Sega games. It's good times and they go on sale rather often on multiple platforms

The Shadowrun returns games have been a gateway drug for many new players. I started with the novels myself. Burning bright by Ton Dowd is a great one that's not part of a series. There are more books about the main runner, but the stories aren't connected
I really liked Dragonfall and that game was why I used Feurschwings in my Round 1 entry And Hong Kong wasn't too bad and used what I learned in that game to make a character for Phettberg's game from the Walled City

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Last edited by Silk; Nov 13th, 2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 03:26 PM
BigPiggyPigBigPig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39721
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
IDK, maybe it's okay if the judging was done! I'm just nervous is all, haha.
No no! You're fine lol Keep up your discussion, I don't need to be nosing around anyway. I'm just over eager with Iron DM sometimes. I used to read entries of past years for fun. Now at least I'm getting paid to do it now...

Last edited by PIG; Nov 13th, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 02:33 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6336
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991

Last edited by Auron3991; Nov 14th, 2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2160
Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17711
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul

Old Nov 15th, 2019, 02:02 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28745
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
As you are all readily discussing entries (which I'm glad to see seems to be working out well) and our judges are hard at work judging your works from this round, I need to address something that came up last round. Specifically, I will point you to rule 10:
Quote:
All judgments are final.
Judgments can be direct and honest and can often come off as harsh. Contestants scenarios may be picked apart. Be prepared for it: it is not personal, it is just part of the fun. If you do well, you will also get gushing praise, but a poorly used ingredient will be pointed out like a gigantic glistening yellowed zit on someone's nose in home economics class.
Now, I'd say that in the past few years most of are judges have actually been very mild and friendly about pointing out things that were done poorly and not nearly as aggressive as this has been done in the past. That being said, everyone who has signed up for this competition has agreed to be judged. If you don't like the result of a match, or the critique you hear from one or multiple judges you may either remain silent about it, or complain in private to your friends and family. You may not complain about comments you have gotten in a public forum (note that this does not mean you aren't allowed to comment on judgments in return (I don't want this to seem like censorship), e.g. "I disagree with judge X about the DC for that trap being to high, because most likely Y will happen, but I guess that just depends on the type of players in your group" is a respectful and legitimate comment) and you may most certainly not insult any of the judges. In the former case (public complaining), most likely you'll just be told to knock it off. In the latter case (insulting judges), I want to make it very clear that I reserve the right to disqualify people for that. This may mean for this year (if you are advancing), or for next year (if you had failed to advance and were insulting a judge after that), or even for both if I deem it very serious.

All that being said, while this post is in response to something that happened after last round's judgments, this is more of a preemptive warning so as not to set a bad precedent of behavior as mentioned above being tolerated. No one has been disqualified from this or next year at this point, and I certainly hope that I never have any need to change that.

Now, since I told you you aren't allowed to complain publicly about judges' comments, it's only fair that I also offer you an option of what you can do. If you really feel like a judge's comments I don't think I've seen this happen in judgments I've read, but this is for that first time if it ever happensare over the line, please direct your concerns to me via PM and I promise to look into it.

Last edited by Inem; Nov 15th, 2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 03:54 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2160
Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua Atua
Ok, now I'm expecting gushing praise heavily critical comments. Honestly, I was expecting/hoping for it last round as it usually helps me refine my next adventure if I do get through to the next round.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6336
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Can we assume if we have no clue what's being referenced that it wasn't us? I know IRL I can accidentally seem grouchy and I'd hate to think any of my comments here were coming across as such and apologize if they have.

Honestly, I was expecting critiques much harsher than I've seen both this year and last year.