OOC The Whistling Poke - Player OOC & Socializing - Page 15 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2022 > Reluctant Heroes
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 31st, 2018, 08:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19549
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and good evening to all, before things get too out of hand.
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 10:42 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11232
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
~*~*~*~ Have a safe and Happy New Year ~*~*~*~
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 06:10 AM
Procrastinator

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6376
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Happy New Year, all
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 01:27 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Happy New Year everyone!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Hmmm.....Well, here it is. I am initiating a new rule that if a player hasn't posted anything in a ten day span, I am going to move the thread along, regulating the player's character to NPC status. I hate having this rule, but I think it is only fair to other players in the games. Now, if someone is going to be out for awhile or is not able to post for whatever reason, just let the DM's and other players in the game know you of your absence. That will allow us to continue gaming and give the Dm's a chance to plan for what your character would be doing during that time. A simple, I will be gone for a few days,is more than enough. Players can give more of an explanation if they want, but it is not necessary. Just giving the rest of us notice is enough. Thanks everyone, and as always, if you have any questions, just ask.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11232
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
R & U 13 Jan 19

I have an Away thread in my games for that. I found that when it was posted in the OOC thread, it would get lost by all the miscellaneous OOC postings.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Oh good. I've just realized my post didn't go through again. I've literally written one three times and every time either the internet freaks out, or my dying tablet does and it doesn't go through. Let's hope fourth time is the charm. Sorry about making people wait.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2859
donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr donsr
I remember , slightly, reading the Santuary books, they were a great read, in that other authors culd use other writer's characters.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I have to finish up some chores, but I will be back in a couple hours...

I thoroughly enjoyed the first few Thieves World's books. I am glad to see you enjoyed them to Donsr. They are hard to find now, thankfully I held onto my collection. I think I have the first five or six plus one or two of the novels.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
yeah. I lost a lot of stuff in the 77 flood ( near Johstown PA).. I have most of my FR books and such, but lost a lot of my Sci-Fi and 'other ' fantasy books like Conan , had almost all of them.. Micheal Moorcock books of 'the etera; champions" my favoire was Corum and the sword trilogy
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Male drow
Dice male drow attack:
1d20+14 (19)+14 Total = 33
1d20+10 (2)+10 Total = 12
1d20+5 (7)+5 Total = 12

Dice male drow damage:
2d4+3 (4, 4)+3 Total = 11
2d4+3 (1, 2)+3 Total = 6
2d4+3 (3, 2)+3 Total = 8

Last edited by Rasgorn; Jan 13th, 2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Procrastinator

Tools
User Statistics
I was a big fan of the Thieves World books; it's where I stole my character Critias' name from (having no imagination). But I don't feel too guilty about it, given Janet Morris nicked it off a Greek philosopher in the first place

Still got (almost) all the books somewhere. There were some "new" ones released in the early 2000s by Lynn Abbey, these were really good. I can thoroughly recommend the new ones if you haven't read them; the original ones rather lost their way after the first six.

Last edited by Gibbon; Jan 14th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Gibbon, I was reading Sci-fi and what fantasy struck me when I was younger and into to college..Edger Rice Bourghs, I had all the John CArter Books, my brother and I even made a Jetten Board and play MArtian chess!... I read a lot of real old 'pulp sci-fi" that my brother had which started me on my path to invent my own worlds and such.

I was searching for books after I read Tolkin.. there was another author who had, more or less, the same type of world he hand 'Buckin' which were his Hobbits..( they wore boots) as well as humans.. there were underad type creatures that served as the main bad guys..that was a good series...another series was one, that a professor who ran a D&Dish game, sent some students through a portal and they ended up in a real 'fantasy ' world, with all the dark dangers that came with it... the series built on them.. lives deaths, and the introduction of tech that the characters brought with them in the form of teaching ( made gunpowder frged better steel ect ect).. one neat take was, a Kid in a wheel chair became his character ( a dwarf) and was strong and able to walk around...he refused to leave the land when they found a way out... and served as a starting point for when the kids would be 'summoned back'..the kids were all in thier 20's or so..but in the land? they were what thier character was in thier game.

now days I have been reading FR Books..have aroud 5 I haven't read yet..and maybe 50 I have?... I have Honor HArington space book, as well as the Illaid and the Oddesy, that one of my daughter's got me for a -day, because its written like the poem? ( 'the dawn comes rosey fingered) ..if you never read the 'real' story, its great.. I have read some 5 or 6 versions, but the original one had scores of heroes on both sides, as well as every god who took part.. the interactions between them,.there are so many heroes left out of newer books, or movies, and the lack of the gods taking part.. that makes it a crime...

anyway?.. I started reading sanctuary ..about the same time I found FAher and the Grey Mouser, and Michael Moorcock's Corum
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 03:24 AM
Procrastinator

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds like you and I were reading all the same books, donsr Leiber and Moorcock were right at the top of my list, too. Didn't read much sci fi back then, mostly fantasy, but I've been catching up with sci fi since - old and new. Last year I discovered John Scalzi (about a decade after everyone else) but my favourite sci fi author by a long way is Becky Chambers. btw did you ever read William Gibson's Neuromancer? I couldn't get into that. it is supposedly one of the scifi classics these days, but I just couldn't get into it at all.

Last edited by Gibbon; Jan 15th, 2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 03:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I remember reading the "The Thomas Covenant," series and so liking all the secondary characters and some of the monsters they fought, but the actual 'hero' Thomas Covenant himself was a bit whiny and uninteresting to me. I don't remember who wrote "The Tales of Mithgar," but I liked those as well. Robert E. Howard was one of my favorites then, and not just Conan, but King Krull, Solomon Kane and then there were all the pulps, "Doc Savage, The Man of Bronze," "The Blackhawks," which was later made into a comic book and Modesty Blaise fighting Nazis, and he is not consider a fantasy or Sci-Fi guy, The Shadow stories from the pulps. And of course, Michael Moorcock and his Elric of Melnibone series. I had a question, would consider the "Nine Princes in Amber," series fantasy or Sci-Fi, just curious.