twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 31st, 2020, 07:10 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 111
diannemariz18 diannemariz18
long running campaigns, short arcs, or one shots ?

Do you prefer long running campaigns, short arcs, or one shots when you run or play a game? Is your answer different for when you are a PC as opposed to when you are a GM, and if so, why?

Cheers
d
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 04:01 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
I prefer short arcs, definitely as a player. I want to play for a few weeks, whether that is every day, for a few hours, or once a week, for a few hours, I do have a tendency to get restless playing in the same campaign.

When I played first edition, I was happy to get to fifth level, and then move on to something else. From 1988 to 1992, I played a number of different games, so we'd play a game for a week or two, and then switch to a totally different system. Some of those games didn't have any material available, at least not that we knew of. The game master would develop their own plan. D&D was the only one that reliably had prewritten modules, so I'd use those, even if I worked on adapting them to Rolemaster, Palladium, or MERP. Other people ran Shadowrun, Traveller, Star Trek (battles), Cyberpunk, Cyberspace, RIFTS, Ninjas and Superspies, Marvel Superheroes...and more.

I'm happier today to run a campaign for a LONGER time, because apparently, the books are longer and more costly. Not five dollar modules anymore, they are overarching books of a couple hundred pages, hardcover, and about as much as any of the other books (about $30). That makes me want to "get my money's worth" from a book that I buy, as a DM.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 02:54 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Just an aside, this topic would probably get more traffic in general discussion or gaming advice. Talk to an admin about moving it to a better forum.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69469
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I prefer the combo... A longer running campaign, made of smaller arcs. Gives people places to pop in and out, or even abandon an idea (PC they fell out of love with) and still come back in with something new... just do it between stories.

It also allows a wide variety of story styles, I believe... so you can do a little horror, and then do a hack and slash, then a puzzle quest, then a dungeon crawl... and let everyone get a bit of fun and shine in the spotlight.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 601
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
I prefer long campaigns with an over-arc throughout with several smaller arcs (themes). Some have started to refer to these as seasons given the switch to doing it online/streaming.

I like one-shots to try a new system before investing in it.

Last edited by Yamaneko; Jan 7th, 2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2417
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
I agree with Admin Dirk and Yamaneko, where you have a long running campaign made up of shorter arcs and even one shots that all tie together. I think that is why mercenary groups or adventuring guilds work so well. In those settings you have a base organization for the players to join and move around through different kinds of adventures. That allows Dm's to create a number of different scenarios to keep the game lively and players interested. A player can also drop a character and bring a new character to play and have some familiarity with what has already happened.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 233
Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr
I like the idea of long running campaigns made up of smaller arcs as well. I think it can be especially useful in the PBP format since it gives players who are getting bored with the game an out without ghosting and newly recruited players a good jump in point.

Last edited by Goldmyr; Yesterday at 01:01 PM.