Old Jan 7th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
A hard part of building and playing a multiclass warlock is keeping your warlock Pact Magic slots completely separate from the spell slots that come from ANY other class (which all have the "Spellcasting" ability, rather than "Pact Magic"). A 13/7 Bard/cleric would have 9th level spell slots but no 9th level spells known (p 164 & 165 of the PHB) since both classes have Spellcasting. A 13/7 warlock/cleric has the Pact Magic three 5th level slots, and the standard list of 7th level cleric spellcasting slots (4/3/3/1).

I've noticed people saying multiclass warlocks get ALL their spells back on a short rest, not just their warlock spells, but I didn't think that could possibly be right. This was good information for a multiclass warlock, but my multiclass option was with wizard for that sweet polymorph spell.
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4478
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
I've noticed people saying multiclass warlocks get ALL their spells back on a short rest, not just their warlock spells, but I didn't think that could possibly be right. This was good information for a multiclass warlock, but my multiclass option was with wizard for that sweet polymorph spell.
Just throwing this out there, but Polymorph is not restricted to just Wizards. As a 4th-level transmutation spell, it's available to Bards, Druids and even Sorcerers.

Of course, Druids can always Wildshape into a horse, without wasting magic slots (alternatively, just buy a bunch of scrolls if you're only multi-classing just to get access to 1 spell?)
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20453
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
You go off of the class mechanics. PHB p.165 describes how you are allowed to cast spells using either pact or spell slots from either class, but doesn't cover recovery of them - that is because it is covered in the individual class mechanics themselves.

So upon any rest you regain the slots provided by Pact Magic, while upon a long rest you regain all provided by Spellcasting. I can understand where the misunderstanding stems from since in Pact Magic for spell slots it states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg.47 of 5e SRD
Spell Slots
The Warlock table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your warlock spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.
For example, when you are 5th level, you have two 3rd-level spell slots. To cast the 1st-level spell thunderwave, you must spend one of those slots, and you cast it as a 3rd-level spell.
People just hone in on that 'regain all expended spell slots' but neglect the very first sentence that states you are to use the warlock table for Pact Magic instead of the spellcasters table.