RPXP: 50
spiderinteacup
Been listening to Nightwish's End of an Era concert, a nice trip to the past
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 03:08 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37945
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Meg White singing "In the cold, cold night.'
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 02:27 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
I didn't bring my speaker. Which means I'll be listening to Christmas music tonight. Not that I really want to, I think it's much too early.
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 03:38 PM
Unkillable Rock

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2691
Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder
I listened to Black Stone Cherry's new album yesterday because a podcaster I sometimes listen to raved about it. (I somehow missed it when it came out). Meh. Never was a huge fan of the band, and Human Condition didn't convert me. Not sure what the fuss was about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
I didn't bring my speaker. Which means I'll be listening to Christmas music tonight. Not that I really want to, I think it's much too early.
I gave up on Christmas music a few years ago. I just can't listen to the same dozen, 40-80-ish year old songs anymore. I'll put on classical Christmas playlists sometime about a week prior to the day.
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 01:19 AM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4861
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Can never go wrong with some Lindsey Stirling.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Dec 7th, 2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 03:50 AM
Avid proCRAFTinator

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1046
meilandru meilandru meilandru meilandru meilandru meilandru meilandru meilandru
I agree on Lindsey Stirling (except Christmas...I get enough Christmas music doing craft shows)

This year I have been obsessed with The HU Band... Mongolian metal-heads...really neat stuff. They just came out this week with their cover of Metallica's 'Sad But True', and it is just as epic as the original.
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Unkillable Rock

Tools
User Statistics
I don't usually do prog rock, but Through Shaded Woods by Lunatic Soil is just...sublime. It's mostly acoustic and Norse-folky, and one of my favorites of the year.

Speaking of sublime and Norse-folky, another of my faves is Jonathan Hultén's Chants from Another Place. He's a death metal guitarist, but you would never know it from this haunting, beautiful album. His harmonies give me chills every time.

Last edited by Baxder; Dec 7th, 2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 224
The Pirate Batman The Pirate Batman The Pirate Batman
At the moment, the Lickerish Quartet's new single. Music fans may remember these guys as 3/4 of the band Jellyfish, who put out two of the greatest albums of the early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hoKq2u9w6s

Last edited by The Pirate Batman; Dec 8th, 2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 10:11 AM
Unkillable Rock

Tools
User Statistics
Today, The Apocalypse Blues Revival released their self-titled first album and it's quite diggable. Mostly consisting of Godsmack members, the Revival is the Apocalypse Blues Revue with a new singer. He has some Phil Anselmo vibes from the En Minor album, which I also strongly recommend. It's weird, moody, and makes me think of Rango.

Edit: Just got to "Enjoy the Ride" on the ABR album; hands-down favorite, with a groovy '70's funk vibe. And the final track of the album is straight from a Brian Setzer disc. (The first half, anyway, as I'm just finding out). Great stuff from these normally hard-rockers...Much preferred to Bulletproof!

Last edited by Baxder; Dec 11th, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Unkillable Rock

Tools
User Statistics
Another really interesting release today is Burn, by Foxy Shazam. It's a piano-driven straight rock album that channels artists as diverse as Billy Joel, Queen, Cinderella, Panic at the Disco, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, and Imagine Dragons. In the first three songs.

It turns out that the last few songs of the album are much more "commercial," so it ends on a low note IMO.

Last edited by Baxder; Dec 11th, 2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 11:40 AM
Unkillable Rock

Tools
User Statistics
Far and away my favorite song of 2020 is Kreator/Destroyer by solo guitarist Jason Kui. Hits all the right buttons for me, and that hook is just amazing!
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 05:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5747
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
In my car I'm listening to Unleash the Archers new album Abyss, a follow-up concept album to 2017's Apex which is probably my favourite album of all time. Awakening is their best-known song so far, and has a ton of 'reaction' videos, but the new album has some spectacular stuff, including my favourites Through Stars, Legacy, and Faster Than Light.

On YouTube I've got a much wider variety, since I'm not stuck with CD's, so the current crop of musicians includes Oceans of Slumber, In This Moment, The Pretty Reckless, The HU, Dead Sara, Gunship, Jinjer, Of Monsters and Men, Highly Suspect, Royal Blood, Covet, and Above & Beyond.
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Unkillable Rock

Tools
User Statistics
New year, new playlist.

The first two albums on it this week are Hearts and Hand Grenades "Turning to Ashes" and Alta Reign "Mother's Day."

Both of them surprised me a little. Alta for how little they sounded like their cover would imply; more like a straight-up rock band than the "battle rock" such covers usually denote, and HHG for how little they sounded like their supposed "similar artists" at the album's outset. Frankly, I found the first couple-few songs a bit amateur-ish and cheesy but decided to stick with it. By the end of the album, I found myself hearing more of those similarities and was glad I did.

The albums listed so far that I'm most looking forward to this year are from Grey Daze, Soen, The Pretty Reckless, Evergrey, Alice Cooper(!), Demon Hunter, Rob Zombie, and Greta Van Fleet.

For the more immediate future, (and God knows I need this distraction), I'm super-stoked about the series of Avatar concerts that begins tomorrow! Hail to the king!

Oh, and apparently Insane Clown Posse is still around! Who knew?

What releases are you excited for this year?
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 04:42 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Demandredd Demandredd
Nightwish and Within Temptation are my two poisons of choice at the moment.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 08:45 AM
Play Other RPGs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6527
orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandredd View Post
Nightwish and Within Temptation are my two poisons of choice at the moment.
Tarja, Anette, or Floor-era Nightwish?
Do you love the challenge of creating a new, exciting character in response to a game prompt, but don't necessarily want to commit to playing that character over the course of an actual campaign? Then you should try the Monthly Character Application Contest!