RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-13-2020, 11:49 AM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3039
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
John Stavropoulos' X-Card

Has anyone successfully adapted the X-Card for a game here on RPGCrossing (or a PbP concept in general)? (It's a device for players to signal if they are uncomfortable with something in the roleplaying.)

I suspect this might be a case where PbP is inherently better equipped than live-play to address thorny issues (through PMs or secret texts, etc), but I'm curious if anyone has used some form of the X-card concept and I don't want to dismiss it for PbP only because I haven't realized that it might be able to do something that private conversations can't.

(Also, I realize some people will probably dismiss this concept as a "trigger-card," which is fine if you think that; but I really don't want to debate the concept, just curious if anyone has found a benefit to using it and, if so, how it was applied.)

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-13-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:22 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36898
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Might just be a glitch on my end, but the link you provided leads to a search error. Thus, I can't see the specific card you are referring.

With that said, I think that between a PM to your GM, or the Report Post function, problematic posts can be properly addressed for issues where an open ooc conversation might not feel suitable.

How would you think the X card could be implemented in pbp?

Last edited by zevonian; 06-13-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:33 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Apologies. Link should be working now.
I'm not sure how the card would work best in PbP.
One of the benefits and drawbacks of using it in live play is that tapping it is public, so in PbP terms that would mean having the PM option plus a public signaling.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:41 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36898
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Ok, now the link goes to a Google doc.

Seems like it could be approximated by an ooc thread post stating you are putting up the X card.
But to make sure it is noticed before play continues, maybe post in IC thread a link to that OOC post. Players could then decide if any IC post they have in mind can go forward immediately or if they should wait for ooc to be sorted out.

The GM would need to be up front with card usage, possibly as early as initial game ad.

Last edited by zevonian; 06-13-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:47 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
I like that IC—>OOC link and pause approach.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone else if they have actually used something similar to good effect.

And I appreciate your idea of converting the zero-hour "this is an x-card" conversation that the Google doc recommends into a statement in the initial game ad (and probably also in the intro OOC thread, I imagine as well).

Thanks for taking time to respond!

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-13-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 271
Thaco Thaco Thaco
As a new member of this site, it's heartening to see this topic brought up for discussion. RPGs are, I think, widely considered to be an avenue to escape the trials and tribulations of "real life"...but I do think it's easy to forget that "fantasy situations" can carry with them real-world impacts. Especially considering the current state of the world, anything that can be done to make this place more welcoming can only be a good thing.

In my short time here, I've already noticed more than one game advertisement come with notifications that certain topics would be strictly off-limits, or explicitly inviting players to come forward to privately (or publicly, if they prefer) discuss any topics that they may be uncomfortable with. It's really refreshing to have found what appears to be one of the few corners of the internet where people actually seem to be trying to be nice to each other...
Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the input. Trying to do the right thing and doing the right thing aren't the same ... but it's a start, right?
On another note, it's cool to see you are already going through the game-advert threads. Hope you find one you like and are able to apply soon.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11363
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Thanks for bringing this up, bananabadger. I had seen the X-Card referenced somewhere (Facebook?), but I haven't had any serious urges to GM lately, so it fell by the wayside.

I appreciate the concept of increasing communication about what works for players, especially without needing to publicly air the exact reasoning. Even if this exact mechanism isn't adopted, I highly encourage GMs to publicly encourage their players to become and remain vocal about the aspects of the game that detract from desire to participate, but also the aspects that increase that desire. I'm not of the belief that the game should bow to every whim of every individual, but steering towards mutually enjoyed content and away from sufficiently undesired things is a worthy goal for any game, as I'm pretty sure the point of the game is to have fun and maintain involvement.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziether View Post
I highly encourage GMs to publicly encourage their players to become and remain vocal about the aspects of the game that detract from desire to participate, but also the aspects that increase that desire.
Oh that's a good point. I think that document I linked also talks about the "O" card, which is exactly that--a card to tap for "more of this, please." I've never seen that used in real-life, but I think on RPGx the XP system pretty much does that. Remember folks, tip your wait staff and XP your hard-workin' GMs, right?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11363
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Oh that's a good point. I think that document I linked also talks about the "O" card, which is exactly that--a card to tap for "more of this, please." I've never seen that used in real-life, but I think on RPGx the XP system pretty much does that. Remember folks, tip your wait staff and XP your hard-workin' GMs, right?
RPXP is a fun tool to use, but it can be insufficient for some members. With the daily cap of five hits and the inconsistent rhythm of post arrivals, it can fall short or require bookkeeping to go back and hit posts that strike while all of one's uses are on cooldown. Whether it's RPXP, a note in a Private Thread, an OOC thread post, or even a direct Private Message, keep people in the loop.

Just don't let RPXP become an expectation. I've seen that happen, and that culture is oppressive.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:00 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziether View Post
Whether it's RPXP, a note in a Private Thread, an OOC thread post, or even a direct Private Message, keep people in the loop.
I like that. Good point.
As for the oppressive side of RPXP, I haven't seen that, but I think I understand what you mean. Maybe there is some merit in considering the O-card. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Last edited by bananabadger; 07-12-2020 at 12:44 AM.