Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
He stares into your soul

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6
Amadameus
Speculation...

I love playing RPGs by forum. It allows me to spend time describing important details and does not require me to meet others at any appointed time.

Unfortunately, forums do not allow for rapid-fire conversations or events that require close interaction, like combat. Combat and conversation are two major slowing agents of a PbP RPG.

So. What am I talking about? I'd love to coordinate some kind of live roleplaying, and I'm wondering how feasible it is. Here's how I see it:

1) Time zones. I live in Wisconsin, which means my time zone is GMT -5. Is anyone else in a dramatically different time zone? New Zealand, Germany, or Moscow, for example?

2) Scheduling problems. I am holding down a part-time job, and I also have to spend some time every day devoted to a hobby called Sleeping. Does anyone have dramatic requirements on their time? Is anyone unable to adjust their schedule for a few hours some evening?

3) Hardware problems. I have: Skype, MSN, AIM, YIM, ICQ, and a webcam I can borrow from a roomie. Is anyone suffering from a dial-up connection? Is anyone unable to get access to a microphone or network connection?

For reference, here's how to contact me.
AIM - amadameus@gmail.com
YIM - Novotov07
MSN - amadameus@gmail.com
ICQ - 403513287
Skype - Amadameus

As you can guess, my email is amadameus@gmail.com - and I keep it open almost 24/7, so I'll probably get your emails within a few minutes of sending. If you have any specific times you can suggest (My schedule is free on Sunday after 2100 GMT - anyone have other suggestions?)
Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 AM
DnDOG's Mephistopheles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 594
Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus
Time zone 10+. That could be a problem
Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 187
Kyojin Kyojin
I'm also in GMT-5 so that will work, don't have school starting for another week or so so I'm pretty open atm.

There was some discussion about this type of thing in another game I'm in and they talked about some websites that help with all this like chat and maps and different things to help with gameplay.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Snord
I on in the EST zone, and if you want to try and put together live sessions the way to do it is definately with Ventrilo, a free downloadable voice communicaiton software. . I can prolly find us a server to use if you want to go this way. Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
He stares into your soul

Tools
User Statistics
Amadameus
I am unfamiliar with Ventrilo but am willing to give it a shot.

Oh, by the way - I stay "Invisible" on my messenger addresses, but that's mostly because if I'm actually Available I get swamped with a bunch of random friends talking to me while I'm trying to work.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hairball
Atm, I only have access to internet at libraries, so no instant messaging for me. I'm in the process of moving, so that's why I havn't been posting much lately. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I'll be able to post more, but for now, I think I'm only going to be able to do maybe 1 post/day.

Sorry I can't post more right now, but I'll try to get on tomorrow, or Sunday at the latest.

Last edited by Hairball; 08-08-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 PM
He stares into your soul

Tools
User Statistics
Amadameus
@Hairball:
I understand your position, I was in one similar a few months ago. If your situation ever changes, let us know and we can start making plans for an RP via Ventrilo!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
He stares into your soul

Tools
User Statistics
Amadameus
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

Just asking for everyone to check in again. Do you have access to an IM service with any reliability, do you have Skype, do you have a webcam?

Trying to put together some kind of real-time game session. I'd really like to do it via Skype, but IM services are also acceptable.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hairball
My situation has improved from library only to school computers, but I still won't be able to do anything real-time.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Reynardine
The idea sounds fun, I am GMT +1 though, so that might be difficult.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
He stares into your soul

Tools
User Statistics
Amadameus
Understood. The +1 GMT doesn't much bother me, as I keep up all hours of the night anyway. I'm more concerned with the hardware (Hairball looks to be in a bad way, someone send this man a laptop!) and the availability. Looks like things aren't too available, as Tara is also in a rather extreme time zone.

*sigh* Ah well, such is life.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
DnDOG's Mephistopheles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 594
Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus Vetinarus
Yes, and Tara also has to use the university computers to get online. My laptop is broken.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 PM

Tools
User Statistics
EverBrett
hmm I live in Wisconsin.. just thought I would say HIYA Amadameus, thanks for showing me the site.