twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21289
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
You both swear to the demon knight, willingly taking it as your lord and master. "So let it be done", it says in conclusion. All at once your heart skips a beat and if you could feel your soul you would feel it twinning as it was bound by magic from the creation of time itself. The daemon takes the now unholy weapon and cuts the palm of your right hand. The first sensation is warmth, and then pain..unholy searing pain.

You both look to your hand and see the blackness of the daemon blood as it travels from the wound up and around your arm. As the black trail snakes up your arm you see your skin start to burn and you start to lose feeling in your hand. The blackness you realize is in your blood and is corrupting you. With each beat or your heart you feel as if your veins are on fire and leaving behind ash and sinders as they burn. You look up to the daemon and its knightly illusion is gone, in fact the unholy fog and undead are also mostly gone, clearly much of them were illusions. About twenty skeletons and ghouls stalk around a light fog still.

As this revelation skinks in, your new lord takes the unholy weapon and walks onto the path. It is a goat legged small creature, about the size of a kobold. It has red slime covered skin that looks a bit like fish skin but is dark blood red. It has wings but no wing material, as if the webbing has been cut away, like a plucked chicken wing. It has a horned head with a bird like beak and eyes that burn with red fire. It seems bird-like and nervous. Gone is the aura of power, the authority and strength. It glances around like a prey animal might around predictors. It has many wounds that bleed black blood, many you realize you have caused. It was probably very close to death.

With each step the holy path's light starts to recede. Then as if talking to someone else it says in a quick snappy voice with a lisp, "You thought your pitiful spellths could hold ME?!" It drops the old common form of speech. Your arm aches and burns and you writhe on the ground from the pain."500 mortal yearths I spent here planning and waiting" it says a bit louder as it walks forward then pauses at the glowing hole.

"I wasth trapped here and only your preciouth weapon could free me." It laughs a jackal-like mirthless laugh and looks back at you both with bemusement as you scream and thrash on the ground. The pain is more than you can bare and you cry out for death, yet you do not die. "Then you send these naive innocenths to me in hopeths that they would do what you could not..in hopeths they would destroy your weapon and thusth keep me from thith plane! Look what they have done! They have freed me!" It laughs again, but as if it was fearful of drawing attention to itself it lowers its voice, Further, they have given themselveth to me as thrallths and now I will bring your followerth to their KNEETHS! They will know their god is powerleth to stop the hell I shall unleash!"

The retched daemon takes the holy weapon and holds it over the now dimly glowing slot. The air starts to hum with palpable tension as the demon smiles and sinks the weapon into the slot. There is a blinding flash of light the emanates from the slot and then all at once the path explodes into a million shards of light. All at once a wave of energy emanates from the hole and the forest starts to burn yet the trees are not consumed. "Thith will be the location of my Kingdome! Thith vile land will be the seat of my power" It draws the sword from the hole and you swear that it is even blacker than it was before. Looking into it you think you can see shards of light mixing with the blackness of the abyssal maw. In your pain you realize you cannot look away from the weapon, it consumes you. There are things in the blade far older than time itself that speak to you, speak secrets, speak of power and wealth. It is like a arrogant child but one with a relic of power. Before you pass out from the pain you realize that everything the daemon said it was and promised is a lie.

After an unknown amount of time has passed, you wake to the darkness. You look around and see nothing but trees that are eternally burning. Snow falls languidly, coating the ground in a dusting of white. Looking down you see your hand. A dark back brand extends from your palm down your wrist up your arm and in a spiral and ending on a stain across your cheek stopping just under your eye. You feel the flesh and its cold, dead, and slightly bluish. A dark black liquid pumps through your veins as you wonder what have you gotten yourselves into. What have you promised..eternal servitude..and for what? TO what? To avoid smiling jacks displeasure? A life of hard work to achieve your goals? You are broken away from your thoughts by a hot whirlwind. The daemon having shed its illusions stands over you. Its a short squat visage of scaly skin and prodigious claws and its hind and fore feet, and long, narrow tattered wings behind it. You look at the creature and you feel you feel your mind scream and break. It looks around nervously. "Good..you're awake" it says in a voice of nightmares. You both sit there with tears streaming down your soot covered faces as your minds splinter with insanity.

"Now then we have work to do, much work to do and you will be my heraldths." You look past the daemon and see the lady Barlow naked and strapped to a tree. Her clothes are tattered and her swollen breasts and stomach glisten in the light of the burning trees. Blood flows freely from her back and she appears to have been scalped. "You must take thith breeder back to your old master, the one you know as thSmiling Jack. She holdths within her the key that will topple the priesth of Heironeouth and her child must thurvive the coming age. After you deliver her you will continue to work for thSmiling Jack and through him we will rest control of the city."

The daemon lord continues to lay out your many tasks and you start to feel a familiar feeling. The feeling as if you're not in control anymore. As if you are no more than a play thing for this creature and that you no longer have any choice. Although a familiar feeling you realize this time, however, your leash and collar are linked to your very soul. You feel it on you, like cables binding you to the will of this pathetic and vile creature. You will do anything it asks without question and you know you have no choice. Your complete lack of liberty and free will is terrifying.

----------------------------- The End --------------------------

ooc
And thus ends this chapter of our story.

You have gained a few levels of prestige classes, (Character wise both your characters go up two levels in a demon prestige class. Sinnar = Disciple of asmodeus and Cant=disciple of baalzebul. Both these classes are from the book of vile darkness near page 58 if you have the book. ) However, because the game is over there is no need to spell it out for you.

Your characters may go on and escape the wrath of your new master, or continue to amuse it and thus continue to live. I can see you meeting with a grizzly death on the morning or living for years and becoming powerful lords of darkness in your own right. Regardless, pretty much everything hates you now. Demons might hunt you for status, to challenge Naberius for power. Non-demon creatures will hunt you because you are the lowest of the low and are marked in such a way that they feel nothing but hatred for you. Humans and other civilized beings will shun you, but you may be able to manipulate your way into power structures eventually. Your dreams of power and wealth may come to pass, but it won't be easy. In the end, the future is for another game.

To become a thrall of a demon is to be something that is utterly depraved. It goes past evil and into something rather disgusting really. By the book creatures who are evil will do what they can to avoid you or kill you. A Mindflayer might say "Oh geez..sorry mate..just passing through..sorry to disturb you. No problem here." Hell you're so depraved at this point that even evil creatures hunt you down to rid the world of your kind.

The reason I DM is to play with the idea of a hero (good or evil). Sometimes that hero is an anti-hero and sometimes they are the reluctant hero. If we went on from here though the adventure, in my opinion, would lose the essential aspect that is fun for us to DM. It would turn into you using limited powers and subverting the town, spreading plagues, death, killing innocents, murder, mayhem, and trying to gain more power from a daemon who in the end will string you along for its own twisted amusement. Further, you have no free will so you can't really role play that - you might as well be and NPC at that point. Also, this site is pg-13 (more PG), so depraved evil games can't really be run here because the content would be too gruesome. I could try to be vague, but that is a bit lame. I actually edited this ending post for just this PG-13 reason, I had some nasty bits I had to cut out for the children.

Unfortunately In the end you guys made the unwise choice by siding with the daemon and pledging fidelity to it. I feel like maybe I should have given you a little clearer choice of action but I think it was clear that you didn't have to chose the path you chose. If I were to continue the game, I know I could still work with it, but I don't really want to. We, (Gir and I) are more interested in allowing you the players to be heroes even if that means reluctant/evil heroes. Being a thrall to a daemon and role playing out Holocaust level acts and atrocities does not really offer that experience for either of us and in the end wouldn't be much of a game.

We have really enjoyed having you as players. Your posting speed and loyality have been outstanding! How you embraced the characters and the story with all its twists and turns has made it very rewarding for me. And honestly if Gir and I start up a game in the future you both will be top of the list of people we ask to join. I really am sorry if the ending isn't to your liking. I for one feel a game is an organic thing, and I find it interesting how this one unfolded. I would have liked to have you guys win the day, leave rich and with the future wide open, however that didn't happen. Demon thrall is a bit of an end-game deal-breaker, just like a character's death. I tried to leave the game suggesting that your characters may have a future full of danger but could emerge victorious from it. It may not be the ending I envisioned, but it is what it is. They may be doomed, but then again they may find some clever way out of this situation and when they are old and retired, they might muse about it in a celestial bar reserved for epic level heroes only.

So I enjoyed the game, even the unplanned end really, and I hope you did as well. You were awesome players! Thanks again for staying the course! Thank you for helping me meet my goal of actually finishing a game on this site! That's a first for me. See you around the forums.

Last edited by Still_Pond; 11-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Infidel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
Lethe Lethe Lethe
OOCThanks again guys. I wasn't expecting to play out the razing of a continent (or a hamlet for that matter), so I'm not entirely surprised that it ended abruptly after joining with a demon. Sorry that it didn't end with use completing any of the actual objectives of the scenario

If I had my time back Sinaar would have just jammed the sword in the slot and that'd be that, or perhaps more combat would have worked. It seemed like the choices were die in combat, jam the sword in the stone and die in slightly less bad of a way, or join a demon. In the end, we were both running on a few hit points and I did what I thought my character would do in that situation, but I guess I just mucked everything up for you guys and Jessylynn :P My neutral evil character made a chaotic evil decision to become lawful evil and the universe imploded. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

But all of these things put aside, it is nice to have finished my first game on here. I'll probably look for a new one soon. I won't be evil! And I'll do whatever I can not to break the game! Also, if you do DM again and you need some characters I'm sure we'd both play. Again, sans evil char and game breaking.

Beam me up God!

Last edited by Lethe; 11-06-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
ooc - You didn't muck a thing up! You played your character well. No game breaking here at all. It was supposed to end at the temple. I had thought you'd take the sword rather than give it away to get out. I also figured that when push came to shove, you'd not join the demon. No big deal though, I presented you with choices and you made them. That isn't breaking a game, thats PLAYING it.

This game is over because it is time, not because you ended it. If I wanted, I could continue it. I can see several story ideas. One to get out of this crappy contract you just agreed too. If your characters didn't want out though, then just more adventures doing the demon's bidding. Maybe taking down Smiling Jack wouldn't be so easy. Maybe the infant you are supposed to protect is stolen or is rumored to be demon-spawn and is to be killed. I can see lots of plot hooks that can springboard from where the game is now. The demon thrall part would just be the hook, but you'd be off doing basically what you did before, only with a demonic prestige class twist.

So don't regret your game choices. It is a game, you made choices based on what I gave you and so did I. It is what it is, or was what it was. I have really enjoyed it. I think this game has had some epic moments. There were some rocky parts too, the end is one, but over all I think it was quite fun.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Infidel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
Lethe Lethe Lethe
I had fun too Now I get to be jaded by a long string of DNF games like jessy, I imagine. See you around guys
Old 11-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1488
jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn jessylynn
Ha, I am a bit jaded. My games keep dying, it's nice to have finished one! I really enjoyed this one, Still. You're an excellent writer and were patient with my newbie mistakes. The awesome maps and pictures of what we faced really made the game, too.

I just wish we hadn't lost two players. I made the decision to join the demon because Cant was low on HP, hadn't rested in forever and saw few options. Plus his greed at the thought of a continent's worth of riches overwhelmed his good sense.
And all other events are pending...
Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
I understand your frustration, Jessylynn. Games here are tricky and most end prematurely. Your method of getting into lots and lots is a good way to find a few good ones. Sooner or later you will get to know who some good DMs are or good players who have stayed here a while who are now choosing to run a game. Often the players make the game. This game would have been dead long ago had you two not stayed in. It is a team effort. So often when you get into a game, if the players are long time members with lots of posts, lots of RPXP, admins, or CSers the chances are good the game will be good provided the DM is decent.

Game death is probably the most frustrating part of playing DnD this way. You invest all this time and excitement on a character and get going in the game only to have it die for some reason or another. DMing your own game is a great way to have a good solid game - it is good because you make it as good as you are able. I'd encourage you to try it. I don't know what noobish mistakes you are talking about, you seemed like a great player to me. You maybe didn't try to get as many sneak attacks as a normal rogue, but that's ok.

I understand why Cant chose what he did. I was wondering at Gir about why you guys didn't rest up. We just shrugged and kept things going. I thought the peaceful underground beach would have been a good spot to rest, that or the storage room with the well in it.

Swearing to the demon wasn't the wrong thing to do, just unexpected and a bit of a deal-breaker for your characters. It really is like becoming a slave on purpose. A slave might still be powerful though, so one never knows what the future holds for them.

I wish the other two players had stayed too, especially Redoak as I really liked him as a player and a character.

Anyway, don't let dead/lame games frustrate you too much. I'll try to let you know if I see a good game, (or what I think might be a good game), open up. Sometimes I get PMs from DMs looking for good players, and I can point them to you if I don't want to play. In time, you'll find some good games. Enjoy them while they last and move on.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1364
Gir Gir Gir Gir Gir Gir Gir Gir Gir Gir
There was essentially 3-4 endings that Still and myself came up with. First was you go back to smiling jack, Second was you go with Newt, Third was you go to smiling jack and give the weapon to Newt, and fourth, and what we thought was less likely was that you would go with the daemon.

In the end you both did great and i really enjoyed playing and helping out with the game. Sure the daemon was not the best choice but as still pond mentioned it is a choice ripe with options. The way i see it all playing out if we had the time or want to run it would be to have the daemon running you on petty tasks and giving you small bits of power for a short time.

Essentially you guys would get tired of being jerked around and go to someone for help..maybe smiling jack..maybe newt..but whoever it was it would be with the idea that you realize you made a bad choice and dammit if you dont want to get out of it and be free again..heck maybe you go to the church even..

Heck maybe you guys gain secret power or items and take the daemon out on your own..sure you sever the connection and loose the power but you keep your souls and are not in service to a small time operator...

Anyway..good luck with your games. Im sure well be asking you back in time to run with us again
Closed Thread