RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16053
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Misc Post Drafts

Arrowhead EpiphanyStrange melodies filled his ears like song birds heralding the morning sun as dawn crept its way into a sleeping world. He felt a warm caress on his face and felt the lazy morning rays trace their fingers across the smoothness of his cheek as he lay there with his eyes closed. The warmth spread from his face and traced lines down his shoulders and across his abdomen in soothing waves of comfort and filled his mind with smooth serenity. The feeling brought him back to a time in childhood where he lay in bed cocooned in a warm womb of blankets and awakened to a dawn exactly like the one caressing him now.

A sudden roar filled his ears, startling him. A thousand tiny wings taking flight all at once, blackening the sky with their frenzied flight. He tried to open his eyes but found them sealed shut. His entire body went cold and he began to tremble.

He wanted to moan but could only scream, silently.

He felt himself fall suddenly away from the warmth, away from the solid fabric of his seat, away from the cold confines of his stiffening flesh. He fell deeper into darkness and felt whispers all around taunting him, his only companions in the abrupt void. He felt himself falling now, faster and faster and faster. The panic in him rose and threatened to choke him and he struggled to grab at unseen hands clutching at his throat...

Liam reached deep inside himself and found that strength which all his life he had drawn from to remain sane in his insane world. He stopped struggling. He felt an implacable calm rising to defeat the panic. His breathing slowed...

He opened his eyes.

Stars... The void around him was pregnant with a trillion trillion points of light, each one bleeding photons into eternity, slowly spending their lifeforce out into the aether and basking tiny specks of rock and gas which orbited every single one... creating life. Pulsing and convulsing in their wave-particle duality existing outside of time even as they gave birth to it. The points of light coalesced into pockets of galaxies which all swirled and orbited their super-massive black holes where space and time spun, curved and sank into their singularity.

He felt his heart contracting in his chest, matching their infinite rhythm exactly. He tasted of the beauty of the universe of felt himself begin to weep. They were dying. Their own mass pressing down on itself fusing Hydrogen into Helium unleashing unimaginable heat into the cold dark void... He felt his own mass crushing down on him, squeezing him, heating him up, burning him...

Liam opened his eyes with a gasp, feeling Annalina's hand nudging him gently, insistently.

"The sun star of our birth..."Kizos Aalakws Nionakiya Alnobanogan...

The words erupt from his mouth, but before he can fully grasp that he has just spoken in a tongue he does not actually understand for the second time, he spots the dead man from the hospital.

"I saw you die, Traveler. I sang my song and heralded your spirit home. Why have you returned to us? Will you tell us your riddle again that we may yet solve it?"

As if speaking the words proved to be too much effort for him, Liam dropped his head once more onto Anna's comforting shoulder and wrapped his one remaining arm around her, both to find some comfort in her closeness, but also to protect her from this being that was not quite anchored to this world.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Guardians of the North | Haunting Echoes | Become an Upper

"Why should I play the roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives, the gashes do better upon them." - Macbeth, William Shakespeare

Last edited by LeoByron; 11-11-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Raven Knight
left-aligned image
Raven Knight

Race: Human (Netherese descendant)
Class: Paladin 1
Alignment: Lawful-Good

Last edited by LeoByron; 11-24-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Dice Test:
5d6 6, 6, 3, 2, 2 Total = 19
5d6 2, 2, 5, 2, 2 Total = 13

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Dagal'Shodar

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-24-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-24-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
A Pet Perhaps?
left-aligned image
It was Aamon's turn now to allow his ire to escalate. He felt the years between them stretch and and coalesce like a dying star being shorn by the obliterating force of some swelling black hole and understood now that Celeste had not evolved so much as soured. Had he thought she had ascended? Had he? Aamon shook his head.

"It is not games I play, Celeste. Have you not known me? Have you not made measure of the import of my words all those years ago and felt the edge of their precision? Did you not hear the banter in my mien or the innuendo in my speech? Did you verily ask to take charge and assume command or did you merely request that you be the one to choose the direction of our fate and blaze the trail before us? Was I truly not to be who I am and take charge of our encounter with the tinker? Celeste, it was a misunderstanding. Nothing more. You cannot in all fairness expect me not to fall into habits which have been wrought into me over a lifetime. I apologized. It is time to move on. I have no more time for tears now than I did all those years ago. Let us see what your fickle goddess has contrived for us ahead. As for the Tinker, he should, as you should well know, treat us with no more deference than he would a pair of friends whom he holds in high regard. The man is charmed, not dominated. Let's go."

Aamon pushed on ahead, caring not a whit what else might happen, allowing Celeste to take initiative and direct her questions to the tinker and subsequestly lead them to the pagan village.

As they came upon the town, Aamon did, in passing, note the lack of temple but did not let such register its import in his mind, so engrossed was he in the sterm machinations of father time and pondered all that was lost. He saw the man, pompous and replete with pride, all huffing and so liberal with his gospel and his preaching, and noted the boy who by all appearance seemed condemned to die.

Aamon did not care.

[TAB][/TAB}One life less or more upon this wretched earth [he did not care. He tossed the merest glance towards Celeste and then his eye but grazed the likeness of the boy as he bowed his head perhaps resolved to what fate had spun for him.

He saw it.

The Archstar. Most revered of Glyphs most paramount and sublime sigil of his Lord and Master. Aamon's hand flashed to his bow and his fingers gripped its haft to knuckle whiteness. He stopped himself. He turned his gaze towards Celeste and turned his face to marble. He heard the scorn in her devastated voice and saw her tears cascade in his mind's eye. He released his weapon which, in truth, he had never really handled. A mere adjustment so that it would not blithely slide clumsily from his shoulder. He turned his back on the boy and strode into the nearby tavern.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-15-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
A Rude Awakening
left-aligned image
Veronica started when Wuzruz began to pontificate to the "orcs" around him and shuddered to think how such as these might react to a sermon so dedicated to the old god's that seemed to be the object of the large befuddled orc's worship. Veronica herself paid a passing respect to the Traveler of the Six but she was nowhere near as dedicated or interested as Wuz professed to be. She enjoyed travel and so spared the occasional prayer to the purveyor of chaotic travels but little else. Vivian, however, delighted in the Orc's impromptu sermon and clapped giddiliy once more flew from her perch behind her mother and landed on Wuzruz's giant shoulder. She still maintained her peasant child appearance but there remained a glint in her eyes that remained unsettling to most. Sensing perhaps that the worshipper of the old gods was a degree less unsettled by her strangeness than others might have been, she felt comfortable in his presence and giggled as she grabbed playfully at his ear.

"Wuzruz, who is Khraz'Rankor? And what are the endless pits of Rak'Nagath? Can we go there? Mama! Can we go to the pits of Rak'Nagath with Wuzzy? I wanna see them! Can we?

She touched Wuzruz's ear again but this time she Vivian activates the Meek Facade Mesmerist Trick on Wuzruzunleashed a font of her power and allowed it to trickle into his ear in a dark blue swirl of smoky magic.

"There Wuzruz. The bad peoples will think you're not strong and will leave us alone now."

Veronica jumped forward and grabbed Vivian and gave Wuzruz an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry about that Mr Wuzruz. Vivian is easily enlivened and is somewhat prone to undue levels of exuberance. She is rarely so forward with strangers though. She must really like you."

Vivian nodded emphatically.

"Ido, Mama. I marked Wuzzy with the Meek Facade! Baddies will think he's puny and try to kill him! Hi hi hi!"

Veronica seemed embarrassed slightly.

"It's just a trick, Mr Wuzruz. A glamour that Vivvy can activate to make you seem meeker than you are if she activates it. It's harmless in itself but it may make hostiles focus on you if we run into any trouble. Do you want me to get her to take that off you? You know, Vivvy , you really shouldn't be doing that to people without permission."

The girl sighed in exasperation and lifted her hands dramatically.

"It's ok, Mama. Wuzruzz is strong! Duh!
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-20-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Khole sat perched upon the naked branch of a nearby tree, having stood watch for some time in Oota's forlorn proximity. Something had been plaguing the silent Gathlain and he knew he could not entirely blame the grim sights of this blighted land. A sense, forboding and pregnant with dire menace seemed to hang over him and it gnawed at him as he stood his silent vigil. He had felt the song within his soul grow silent and felt naked now without it. Mitah knew to keep his distance when his friend was in such a mood and so had rested with the others in Kurrhaaagn's shelter. When Nolia woke the forest with her frantic cries, Khole strung back his bow and made his eldritch missile hiss its threat into the now noisy morning, but slowly let up and felt it vanish when he saw the disturbance was but a sleeping
one. He turned his gaze outward once more, watching.

Leilani woke, as did the others, intertwined within her bedroll with Mikhaela's limbs and warmth when Nolia woke them all with her distress. She sat up and watched with sympathy as the Dryad ran to the white-haired sorceress, putting her hand gently in her love's hair as if to soothe her. Mikhaela woke and seemed alarmed at first, but settled at Leilani's touch and opted to observe silently. Leilani payed close attention as the Dryad recounted her recent trials at Oota's urging and especially noted the fiends' descriptions.

"It is Baatezu you describe, Nolia! The red bearded ones are Barbezu! All that you described can only be creatures spawned from Hell itself! All but the tentacled Trolls, which, as Winter pointed out, we've faced before. I do not know precisely what those could be except to say that they must, as have their fiedish allies, spawned from some deep pit of Baator.

When Oota pressed his questions upon Kurrhaaagn, the friendly Troll shook his head sadly.

"Kurrhaaagn have no tribes. Kurrhaaagn born of tribe of dumber troll but born different. Ancestors had better blood and Kurrhaaagn born with that blood too. But tribe reject Kurrhaaagn. The tries in chaos with the foes that eat all things. No Goblins here no friends to call. Only Kurrhaaagn. And Delvron and my friend Greywolff! They come. Soon! Kurrhaaagn knows this."

Leilani seized upon what was said, after careful consideration as she softly stroked of Mikhaela's hair.

"I think Winter's plan is not a bad one, though flying may be risky since it would rob us of all this tree cover. It might be best to go on foot and find Nolia's home to see if it is stil infested. Once there we will have a better view of what we face and can better plan. I do think making some run at the holy cavern might be a decent ploy but we should scout and see. It may be that we must needs to sacrifice ourselves and seal out fate within those stony walls as Winter has suggested and face what evil we might find, but we should learn first and decide after."

The angelic woman seemed eager suddeny, now that some course of plan had begun to seed. She carefully extracted herself from Mikhaela and gathered what things she had used the night before and what remained of breakfast as she had eaten quietly while they spoke.

"She's right. We need to Scout."

A voice erupted in their minds and movement from the entrance to the little magic hutd drew their gaze. Khole stood looking stern and cold and resolute.

"We should leave immediately."

Time flowed as the wayward Guardians traveled to what could very well become their final destination. The rain had not let up and now everything was wet as well as cold, though dweomers were to be had aplenty for their comfort. They did little, however, to improve the dampening view. Soon, Nolia began to feel a sense of agitation as she felt a low thrumming flow into her from the ground and recognized the distant sickly pulse of the Life tree as it spread its now dark pulse across the dying forest. They climbed a final rise and Khole lifted a single fist above his head as he scouted a ways ahead in flight.

"I hear something!

Now everyone heard the unmistakeable sounds of battle. A few more steps to reach the highest point and now they all saw clear across the Dryad Grove a single Treant surrounded by a Dozen Fiends which Nolia recognized instantly as the creatures Leilani had named Barbazu.

Leilani, drawing her bow, immediately recited her battle tactics:

"These are Bearded Devils. They are immune to Fire and resistant to cold, acid and all magic, though spells can affect them if you pierce their shield. Beware their wicked beards they can afflict you with a horrid disease that will weaken you over time. You can use lightning to attack them or hit them hard with weapons though Good or Silvered weapons would be best to hurt them. This should help."

Leilani pressed one finger to the small butterfly at her neck and whispered her prayer yet all could hear:

"Desna, lend us this day your strength of good and bless our weapons with your godly essence!

Leilani then touched each weapon in turn, including her own, and caused them to spring with holy light.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-12-2019 at 10:51 PM.