RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
Misc Post Drafts

Arrowhead EpiphanyStrange melodies filled his ears like song birds heralding the morning sun as dawn crept its way into a sleeping world. He felt a warm caress on his face and felt the lazy morning rays trace their fingers across the smoothness of his cheek as he lay there with his eyes closed. The warmth spread from his face and traced lines down his shoulders and across his abdomen in soothing waves of comfort and filled his mind with smooth serenity. The feeling brought him back to a time in childhood where he lay in bed cocooned in a warm womb of blankets and awakened to a dawn exactly like the one caressing him now.

A sudden roar filled his ears, startling him. A thousand tiny wings taking flight all at once, blackening the sky with their frenzied flight. He tried to open his eyes but found them sealed shut. His entire body went cold and he began to tremble.

He wanted to moan but could only scream, silently.

He felt himself fall suddenly away from the warmth, away from the solid fabric of his seat, away from the cold confines of his stiffening flesh. He fell deeper into darkness and felt whispers all around taunting him, his only companions in the abrupt void. He felt himself falling now, faster and faster and faster. The panic in him rose and threatened to choke him and he struggled to grab at unseen hands clutching at his throat...

Liam reached deep inside himself and found that strength which all his life he had drawn from to remain sane in his insane world. He stopped struggling. He felt an implacable calm rising to defeat the panic. His breathing slowed...

He opened his eyes.

Stars... The void around him was pregnant with a trillion trillion points of light, each one bleeding photons into eternity, slowly spending their lifeforce out into the aether and basking tiny specks of rock and gas which orbited every single one... creating life. Pulsing and convulsing in their wave-particle duality existing outside of time even as they gave birth to it. The points of light coalesced into pockets of galaxies which all swirled and orbited their super-massive black holes where space and time spun, curved and sank into their singularity.

He felt his heart contracting in his chest, matching their infinite rhythm exactly. He tasted of the beauty of the universe of felt himself begin to weep. They were dying. Their own mass pressing down on itself fusing Hydrogen into Helium unleashing unimaginable heat into the cold dark void... He felt his own mass crushing down on him, squeezing him, heating him up, burning him...

Liam opened his eyes with a gasp, feeling Annalina's hand nudging him gently, insistently.

"The sun star of our birth..."Kizos Aalakws Nionakiya Alnobanogan...

The words erupt from his mouth, but before he can fully grasp that he has just spoken in a tongue he does not actually understand for the second time, he spots the dead man from the hospital.

"I saw you die, Traveler. I sang my song and heralded your spirit home. Why have you returned to us? Will you tell us your riddle again that we may yet solve it?"

As if speaking the words proved to be too much effort for him, Liam dropped his head once more onto Anna's comforting shoulder and wrapped his one remaining arm around her, both to find some comfort in her closeness, but also to protect her from this being that was not quite anchored to this world.





__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
Guardians of the North | Haunting Echoes | Become an Upper

"Why should I play the roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives, the gashes do better upon them." - Macbeth, William Shakespeare
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 11-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2017, 08:24 AM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
Raven Knight
left-aligned image
Raven Knight

Race: Human (Netherese descendant)
Class: Paladin 1
Alignment: Lawful-Good

 

 

 

 
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 11-24-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
Dice Test:
5d6 6, 6, 3, 2, 2 Total = 19
5d6 2, 2, 5, 2, 2 Total = 13
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-09-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
Dagal'Shodar
 

 
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-24-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
 

 

 

 

 
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 01-24-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
Proto-Shoggoth - Surprise Round, D'Agni, Lei; Round 1 Proto-ShoggothAs if their own interests aligned with the fate of those currently engaged in that eternal struggle for life and death, the wildlife of this Duskan springtime evening fell completely silent as the battle began for true. While the newly anointed Wanderlord struggled to keep his airways clear as the amorphous predator threatened to ensnare them with its viscous flesh, Lei Zhang opted to offer words of comfort while he stepped back to avoid being grabbed himself and proceeded to call upon his inner reserves of Chi to bolster his flesh against injury and attack.

Meanwhile, Donato embraced the challenge currently facing him and marshaled his will and vowed to test himself against this creature and relent only once it lay dead or defeated. He felt the vow heighten his resolve and drew upon unspent reserves of Stamina to draw upon even greater strength to break the creature's suffocating grasp. For the briefest moment, D'Agni feared the creature would get the better end of the struggle but a last second heroic heave saw him creating the merest opening in its grasp allowing him to slip free. The Paladin then drew upon the dweomers enmeshed within his corset to speed his actions and managed to draw upon the holy energies within himself to mend some of the damage the creature's mighty grip had inflicted on his bones and sinew. He stepped back from the creature and adjusted his stance and hand placement so as to slash at his foe at the next earliest opportunity.

The Creature, now fully freed of the now cooling husk of the soldier's body, expanded and roiled until it filled the space around it with boiling sloshing flesh which left sizzling lines of goop wherever it contacted the ground beneath it. D'Agni's nose recoiled from the fumigating stench which emanated from the creature, but the smell was not so much as to cause him any real discomfort. Several green orbs peered from the folds of black gooey flesh, blinking ominously at D'Agni as the creature closed the gap between them and manifested two elongated pseudopods which stretched violently from the mass of protoplasm and threatened to grasp him in its clutches once again. This time, however, D'Agni was ready for the onslaught and deftly evaded both attacks. The creature roiled and puffed in rage, releasing one long effusion of gas which sounded obscenely flatulent and which brought an appropriate waft of effluvium which had D'Agni scowling in involuntary disgust.

A noise from a south-westerly direction drew most gazes that way and highlighted in the pale moonlight were five silhouettes which seemed engaged in a desperate chase. As those who sought to look gazed on, three of the rear silhouettes closed the distance to the two desperate front-runners and lashed out with long malleable limbs which betrayed their identity as more of the ghastly oozes currently standing against Donato and Lei nearby. D'Agni saw from his position closest to them that the creatures now falling beneath the flailing tendrils were two orcs. As D'Agni gazed on, he saw one Orc decapitated by a squeezing pseudopod, while the other's neck snapped audibly as he flailed forward and smashed his face into the cold hard ground of the training field.

And then there were four.


OODM
 

 

 

 
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; Today at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:32 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
The Opening of the Way

The angelic man stood tall and radiant as he slowly turned towards the gargantuan Troll things which now threatened to block the Guardians' final steps to their long awaited destination. His long dark hair rose slightly with the wind of his movement while his gleaming breastplate whispered softly as his enormous white feathered wings unfurled and cusped mightily at the air to lift him suddenly high above the valley floor. Delvron raised one sword above and before him as he let his second blade ride low between his ankles to serve as a sort of makeshift rudder which helped guide his flight while his wings focused entirely on propelling him up and forward as swiftly as they possibly could carry him. Bright holy light gleamed from his weapons, dispelling the shadows which recoiled from him as he surged forth towards battle. He spun once clockwise as he reached the crescendo of his upward momentum and seemed to hang for the briefest moment as he turned to face the Guardians and saluted them with his high sword by bringing it briefly to his brow between his shining golden eyes. He smiled the broadest of grins which showed in no uncertain terms that Delvron, in the midst of war and chaos, surrounded on all sides by every possible grade of evil, was in his element and was having the time of his life.

His wife Helena, clad from head to toe in a resplendent suit of shining mail, wore a grin to match her love's and her perfectly chiseled face positively gleamed with glee as her own angelic wings thrust her skyward a bare breath behind her lover. Her long mane of golden hair flew loose and free behind her as she rose, the perfect banner for the ardent fury blazing from within her warrior's heart. Her hand-and-a-half swords burst into sudden flame blazing pink and purple in a coruscating maelstrom which gyrated from hilt to deadly point as she held them splayed to either side as she flew. Not sparing a glance back at those she left behind, she surged beside Delvron and caught up to him so that she flanked him evenly as they flew towards their foes.

Kurrhaaagn, grinning that pie-eating grin of his, drew his unbelievably oversized sword until the weapon, too large even for his massive girth, rested easily on one muscled shoulder. He shrugged then took off at a sprint, his magical anklets causing him to run easily on top of the messy melting sludge which covered the beleaguered valley floor.

Greywolff watched the trio streak off towards battle and shook his head, grinning nearly as wolfishly as Kurrhaaagn had as he shrugged.

"They do like to show off, don't they?"

He laughed to show that he meant the jibe to be no more than teasing and turned to Nolia, a more serious look overtaking his somehow boyish face.

"Don't worry, pretty lady. Adeledane will be just fine. We'll keep the Troll-thingies off you. Good luck everyone!"

His focus switched as he said these last words, including all the Guardians in his well wishes before turning northward as his comrades had mere moments before. As he launched his hulking form into a sprint behind Kurrhaaagn, he turned his head in a south-easterly direction and bellowed:

"Badwanis! Are you coming or what? I'm not leaving any for you so you better catch up!"

As he said the words, Greywolff's face began to break and melt as fur sprang from the collar of his breast plate and his arms began to stretch and bend at unnatural angles. His back arched violently backwards as he ran and grew visibly as the armor he wore seemed to dissolve into his fur and flesh. Greywolff's ears rose to near the top of his head and elongated until they became too pointy as fur erupted to cover him even there. His head had become a wolf's head and his entire body was a hybrid of wolf and man but which stood twice as tall as Greywolff had stood before. All that remained of his worldly possessions was a large Orcish Double Axe which had appeared seemingly from thin air in his wolf-like hands. He threw his head up as he ran and unleashed a howl which curled the blood and caused the hackles at the back of the neck to tingle as they rose along with goose flesh.

"AAAAAAAAAWWWWWOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

An answering howl rose from the depths of a nearby scar upon the land and a moment later a massive wolf leaped from the depths of the earth and landed near the half-wolf Greywolff and sprinted alongside him as they streaked towards the Troll-like abominations.

Badwanis had arrived.

Greywolff leaned forward as he put all he had into his mad dash across the valley and soon ran past Kurrhaaagn who took a half-hearted swipe at him with one wicked talon as he struggled to keep up. They made a game of it as Badwanis nipped at Kurrhaaagn's heels to goad him forward, causing the Troll to giggle as he ran.

And then, they were upon them.

The Trolls already had grown to impossible size when the companions reached them, standing more than fifty feet high as long tendrils whorled and whipped about them as they advanced to face the streaking heroes.

Delvron reached them first. Dozens of tendrils whipped at him as he closed in, but the Half-Angel wove and spun around them and below them while his blades began their spinning dance of death. He flew between the legs of the left middle one, aligning both his blades side-by-side as he furled his wings for a moment and reopened them with a violent thrust as he passed, cutting one of the Troll's legs completely off. The creature bellowed when its limbs lurched violently to the side causing it to lose its balance and begin to fall. Half a dozen of its tentacles flailed and shot suddenly downward into the ground near where its leg had been and tried to catch its fall, but Helena zoomed in behind her husband and spun as she followed him beside its one remaining leg and lashed out with her blades at the holding appendages, cleaving every one of them with her spinning blades.

The creature slammed hard into the ground in a great splash of slush and ice.

Dzidvidzias flew in next, riding atop his giant Dragon Fly steed, his long metal shaft crackling now with sputtering sparks and flares. He went to the right and passed between two of the grasping Troll-things but the grasping tendrils bounced uselessly against a sphere of static force which the Dzid leader had erupted around himself. He raised his staff suddenly and a violent purple streak of blazing lightning flew from it and slammed straight through three of the massive things, creating a gaping hole he could have flown through were he so inclined. The creatures screamed as their every tendril convulsed with agony and turned in on themselves as though to hold their insides in as green and black sludge spurted from the gaping holes the lightning left behind.

Before the Rightmost middle one could recover, Greywolff slammed into it with his spinning Axe, leaping high to catch it clean within its abdomen, causing it to lurch violently into its compatriot so that both came crashing down towards the east creating the opening the Guardians would need to move past them to reach the cradle. Kurrhaagn slammed into another one, his massive greatsword singing loudly as it clove and chopped and cut at appendages as he closed in, until he, too, leaped and clove the creature in the midriff causing its inside to bathe the cackling troll in gore as he pulled his weapon free.

Next the Dragons joined the fray, circling and unleashing their devastating chilling breath upon the reaching creatures, turning flesh to ice and smashing into hardened tentacles, breaking them off so that they exploded into icy shards which flitted almost slowly to the valley floor.

The Guardians ran behind Badwanis, who never stopped to aid his battling companions, opting instead to remain close to the sprinting guardians as they passed the flailing tendrils of the mutant Trolls to eventually reach the small path which would lead them behind the roaring waters of the waterfall to the entrance to Gaia's cradle.

They had made it.

When they reached the dark opening behind the rushing waters, Badwanis curled in on himself in his overly large wolfen form and began to shrink swiftly as the bluish silver fur which covered his body retracted into his flesh until a much smaller elven man crouched where the wolf had been a moment before.

Badwanis was a handsome male elf, with blue hair pulled back into a neat and tidy braid and eyes which gleamed with penetrating intelligence when he turned to face the Guardians. He wore shiny elven chain mail and his hands drew an Elven Curve Blade and silvery mithral shield seemingly from air. He moved with a grace and precision which belied a level of training which spoke of thousands of hours on the practice floor and field of battle and his weapon moved through the air as though it were an extension of his arm.

"I do not know what we will find inside, but know that I will die to save Adeledane. She will not die."

Badwanis turned and went first into the depths of Gaia's cradle.




The opening to the cavern seemed innocuous enough, a simple wide fissure in the mountainside behind the waterfall, like a small scar which bled lichen and moss along the wet stony edges of the entrance. As Badwanis marched brazenly forth in his elven form, the sides of the tunnel leading down towards the heart of the Cradle progressed from a scant wet vegetative coating to more solid roots and vines which grew from soft earth which seemed to coat the hard rock in each rounded corner of the passage. The Lithari had barely progressed a dozen steps down the passage when Winter noticed something not quite right with the dangling herbage which flanked their passing. They seemed to thrum with Badwanis' passing and as she looked on, she saw the stalks twitch and move subtly towards his form as he passed.

"Wait!"

It was all she had time to say before a dozen stalks shot out suddenly and violently towards Badwanis and grasped him in several places, holding his arms, legs and torso as they whipped around him and began to pull. He opened his mouth to scream and a stalk shot into his mouth turning his scream into a gurgle before it could even manifest. His eyes grew wide with horror as he now faced the Guardians and the twines began to pull at him causing terrible tearing sounds to erupt from his joints as his eyes rolled back into his head from the agony. Meanwhile, the twines and vines which flanked the Guardians began to twitch...

 

__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 03-31-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is offline
Dungeon Master
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 17280
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 3,858
The Orange Menace
left-aligned image
Veronica shakes her head when she sees Wuzruz stalk off in the wrong direction mumbling of murderous intent towards Orange and squirrels but continued to concentrate on piercing the veil of Trever's thoughts to see what truth could be found within. Vivian, meanwhile, squeezed Wuz's ear and giggled before saying:

"Where you goin' Wuzzy? The playin's not over there! It's over here! See?"

Vivian tugged gently on his ear to turn his head back towards the smoke and fire and caused orange lights and shimmerings to appear among the leaves and branches just beyond the scope of their immediate surroundings. She Vivian takes 10 on Bluff for a 33 Bluff total to hide her casting of the spell Silent Imagemasked her casting as best she could to evade any suspicion the large Orc may harbour that her own powers might be responsible for the offending pigments.

"Let's go fight the orange, Wuzzy! That's where the playin's at!

Vivian giggled quietly once more and pointed excitedly as she caused the orange infestation to coruscate and shimmer goadingly to entice her friend to go play in the direction she wanted him to.

 
__________________
"Why should I play the Roman fool and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives the gashes do better upon them." ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

Last edited by LeoByron; 03-17-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB