RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > Gath's Gameboard > Ibinel
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 02:22 AM
Another Gath Original

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25660
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
As Declan fell over onto his back and began shouting, the bard was suddenly encased in splendid golden chain mail that just appeared from thin air. His insides were still aflame, though his tear ducts were no longer spewing water.

The horned toad looked on at Sable and flicked out its tongue, though as it spoke it made no movements with its mouth. As Sable heard the words, he perhaps began to question whether he was hearing them or receiving them through some mental transmission.

”We have been here since the beginning. You are the ones who have appeared suddenly. To throw dirt in our face is an affront not unlike hostility or violence. You are right that this is a hostile country. Is this which you bring upon us? We have done nothing by being here. But we can do something about you being here. This it is certain.”

These words were seemingly heard by no one else.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14351
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
"What's this armour?" Declan asked. "I don't think it's mine. Heavy, though. Still burns. Going swimming!"

And, with that, he began rolling down the bank towards the river. Without intervention, he would reach it in a few clumsy seconds, and then... well, he might sink.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3223
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
The Swasardi cleric is beyond confused now. Sable seems engaged in a conversation with a large toad of some kind, although Saddas can hear nothing at all from the toad itself. And now Declan, encased in armor that came out of thin air, is now rolling down the hill headed towards the water and possibly drowning in his frantic state. "At least dis," he thinks, "...is something I can handle."

Waving his right hand in a criss-cross motion as he strokes his amulet, Saddas whispers under his breath. Normally a spell he would have to touch the other person for, Saddas is surprised that his powers have grown and now it is a simple matter of just waving his hand at Declan. Three lines of magical dark blue energy glow on each of Declan's neck as Saddas blesses him with the grace of Ziyabisk to breathe underwater like a fish. Smirking, he thinks "There. Go in de water all you want now, eh?"

He then turns his attention back to Sable and raises an eyebrow at him, waiting for some kind of explanation. Was he going mad too?

Last edited by Grouchy; 01-09-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Shield of Knawing

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10795
Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort
Sable swallowed his rising frustration and tried again, answering the toad out loud. He didn't consider how one-sided this conversation might look to the others.

"Sir, we are at a disagreement as to who insulted whom. We were offended by your sudden appearance, made hostile by your subsequent disappearance. We were only acting in self-defence, with tensions heightened by the uncharacteristic behavior of one of our own." He paused to gesture to Declan, unaware of all the goings-on that had gone on while his focus was on the horned frog. The sight of the golden-armoured man rolling towards the river tripped Sable up a bit, causing him to verbally stumble while he re-gathered his thoughts.

"uh, ... er,... that is, his condition is -- most unsettling -- and we only came here to solve, er heal, yes, heal his, uh, ... condition."

Still clutching his swords point-down, the swordsspokesman blinked a few times before finally regaining his focus on the toad and continuing, keeping his voice even and non-threatening.

"Maybe you might recognize that which afflicts him and causes him to lose all rationality. If so, we would be prepared to compensate you. We just want to help our companion, and then we will leave. Regardless, we intended no insult and I apologize if I have offended you and yours."

"Perhaps we can come to amicable terms, if you permit us to clean off the dirt that affronts you, in an inoffensive way." He turned his head, still keeping the toad within his field of view, and called out: "Saddas, Tinker. Does one of you have something to clean this offending dirt away from these good ... people?"

Without waiting for a response, he faced the toad again, finally adding a bit of iron to his words to show he would not be intimidated.

"Thus, you have my word of life. Here, in my swords, and there in your companions, you have my word of death. We did not come here to be hostile to your kind, but if you insist on conflict, we can oblige. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that we and your kind can live together without butchering one another.*"

Vort's Verbiage (2017/04/30) Anyone want a Tuco? ~Grogg Tree
Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57363
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Tinker broke his gaze from Declan, frowning that the water dump didn't do anything for the bard, and looked at Sable. His eyes blinked, twice, then three times as the youth processed the question, before he answered.

"You mean, like a broom or a cloth or something? "His face scrunched up in thought, as he turned his slingpack around, and started digging inside for a clean rag.

"Maybe..." he said, attention already diverted into the search.

Last edited by Admin Dirk; 01-11-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Another Gath Original

Tools
User Statistics
It was at this most spectacular of moments that Declan rolled toward the smaller toad with spines protruding from its back. It turned and launched a few spines at the oncoming Declan, but they either missed or got foiled in the fancy gold chain mail that the bard was wearing. It seemed that Declan was not to be stopped, and continued tumbling down the bank toward the river. The spiny toad was surely in the way and made to exit, but Declan came dangerously close and the creature simply went limp and collapsed to the ground in a lifeless heap.

The horned toad watched in silence, then turned to face Sable once again. ”You were saying?” It said in Sable’s mind.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:29 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Declan was oblivious to the potential for conflict, and just gently continued rolling down the bank to the river. He barely even noticed the spines flying at him, and assumed they were just... something. Probably bits of a tree falling off at the wrong moment, and sideways.

OOCDeclan is voluntarily taking Initiative 0 (he's not really with it) and will roll towards the bank unless interrupted. He's also unarmed and largely unarmoured.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Another Gath Original

Tools
User Statistics
Suddenly present of anatomical water breathing apparatus, Declan continued to roll enthusiastically into the bubbling brook beyond. Safely encased in gold chainmail, the bard thought nothing of the towering toad-like creatures surrounding the river bank. Instead he continued heedlessly, intent, in fact gleeful at the chance to finally quench the burning thirst consuming his mind and body. He plunged deep into the river and as he rolled in place, he let out a sigh of relief, as a clear, nictitating membrane closed over his eyes for the first time. He saw the feet and legs of several of the creatures that had appeared at the river, as well as a number of fish; trout, a few salmon, some grayling, and even a pike lurking about with his own nefarious fishy plans, to be sure. It felt good to breathe water. In fact, it felt like it was the thing to do. His body still burned, but less so. It had become a dull ache at this point and he was able to start focusing on other things, like how did he get into this suit of armor and what were these toad things anyway? There was an uncertain awareness of awkward unease before he made the plunge. Perhaps a sonnet would do well to ease the insanity of whatever was happening topside. Poetry had served him quite well in the past, if memory served.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 AM
Shield of Knawing

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10795
Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort Vort
Quote:
"Your impatience will get you killed one day. You must learn to control it, or it will control you."
Master Ito had said the words calmly, as if talking to a simpleton, while Sable was squirming under the weight of the master's foot after being thrown abruptly to the floor. It was not a pleasing memory, but it always came to mind when the swordsman was about to let go and allow action free reign. Which usually always ended in regret.

The toad and frog creatures hadn't actually attacked yet (Sable did not witness the attempt by the spiny toad to impale Declan) so he was still unsure whether or not they were foes, or if he had blundered in and created the situation. He finally decided to take action, and damn the consequences.

Slamming both swords into their sheathes he responded to the toad: "There. A gesture of goodwill. Now, can we collect our companion and leave in peace?"

Sable glanced around at a sound, and noticed Tinker rummaging through his pack. Exasperated, he lashed out. "Tinker! Saddas! Rain cloud or bath or cleaning spell on the toads, NOW!"

Vort's Verbiage (2017/04/30) Anyone want a Tuco? ~Grogg Tree
Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
"Cleaning spell, sure, I can do that." Tinker's mind quickly selected the proper cantrip, and prepared to release the gathering energies into the spell. "I can do that all day."

Rain cloud might be cold, and no one would want that, right? Cold and wet, and... Tinker trailed off, his mind thinking about the amphibial creatures. If they are not really hot blooded, like we are, that would be even worse, right? Cold, icy water, not only wet and cold, but chilling and slowing. Might make a decent spell if they are unfriendly, but right now, only Sable is really unfriendly, shouting at everyone for some reason.

Shaking his head to clear the thoughts, Tinker waved his hand quickly, the easy motion of the cantrip locked into muscle memory. "Voila," he said. And just as easily, the grime and soot from the first of the toad creatures began to lift, and the stains disappear, from their skin and armor.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 PM
Dogs like to read too

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34865
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight
Suddenly Declan had stopped spouting water, sprouted some sort of gold armor, and rolled like a runaway long away from her, down the terrain, and was already in the lake before the open-mouthed dragon had a chance to speak again. "That was really strange." She shook herself, coming back to reality.

She turned to Sable. "Why are you shouting?" She asked in surprise, before moving towards the water. "Tinker, you're a wizard! Use a cantrip!" She chuckled as she passed the searching young man. She put on the brakes as he did just that, pausing near the collapsed toad. "Yeah, like that!" She told Tinker, as she peered at the toad. Had Declan run it over? Or was it playing dead? She was fairly sure some species deflated, but it was usually because they were spitting ink and running away. She had never seen a flat toad before. She didn't know it could do that.

"Oh, good heavens." Cael muttered in the treeline, giving a sigh and rubbing at her head with a few fingers. This was turning into a long and loud delay. Plus, now they had to fish their bard out of the water. She stayed where she was. There was enough people down there to go rescue the foolish human, and they still needed someone to watch over them. The dragon was oblivious to everything but the flat toad. The bard was in the water. Sable and Tinker were doing who knew what with the toads. What if something crept up on them? Or tried to eat the dragon?

Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 AM
Another Gath Original

Tools
User Statistics
The toads shifted their eyes as they looked out at the people gathered on the riverbed. A gentle wind blew through the gulley of the river. It heightened, and with it came a laughter born of the damned. A woman appeared out on the river. She was dressed in robes made of supple white doe skin. Her head was shorn on the sides, flames of red and orange hued hair extended from the center line of her scalp all the way down to the nape of her neck in wild fiery lengths that smoldered at the tips. The sides of her head were ashen white, perhaps even treated with a powder made from crushed bone. Her forehead and the tops of her cheeks were black and greasy, as though they’d been doused in tar. Indeed, it dripped and boiled its way down her face in rivulets of steaming gooey black. The black substance oozed down her face and dripped onto her otherwise immaculate white leather robes.

Of course, her eyes glowed green, a penetrating gaze from beneath the inky mask of boiling tar. If she had painted the sides of her head in crushed bone, one might wonder if the tar-like substance was not really tar at all. Perhaps it was actually the blood of her enemies. The tarry blood of her enemies turned to liquid by the time it reached her mouth, which seemed appropriate because her lower jaw was completely devoid of flesh.

The woman floated just above the water with her toes pointed downward as she approached. The cackling laughter permeated the gulley and she came to a halt between two of the toad creatures. ”Leave. Leave now and be spared the wrath of the undying. Leave now, or be sentenced to eternal torment and damnation at the hands of an undead force so expansive… Just leave now or die.”

Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Tinker spent but another moment, giving his cantrip more mental direction, to clean the remaining frog-creatures, knowing it would do so without his attention for a long while.

He turned, and nodded quietly at the pale woman.

"Okay," he said, and plastered a sickly smile on his face. "Bye-bye."

With that, he began to take slow, careful steps backwards.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
Declan had been merrily rolling underwater, enjoying the cool liquid over his burning body. He'd even been thinking of a poem; the syllables floated strange and burbling to the surface, though at one stage he broke out into the air and declaimed:

"Fair river! In thy crystal, wand'ring water..."

The next line was lost as he sank beneath the surface again, rummaging for the right words.

The next time Declan appeared above the water, he saw something that shocked him thoroughly into sobriety. Floating above him, almost directly above him, was a woman even scarier than his memories of his childhood nanny. The undead (probably), smouldering (definitely), woman told him to leave; or at least she told someone to leave, and Declan was not going to argue semantics with her. He swam, efficiently and directly, back to shore; then he climbed out the river, said "Excuse me, please: I am leaving, as requested," to the toads, stooped to pick up his (rather muddy) trousers and shirt, stuffed the clothing down the front of his mysterious armour for better carrying, and set off away from the river.

Almost in passing, Declan remembered to ask Cael: "Did anyone pick up my sword? I was sure I had a sword."

OOCApologies: slightly belated credit to Edgar Allan Poe, whose poem To the river I have heartily bastardised here.

Last edited by HenryLockwood; 01-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Another Gath Original

Tools
User Statistics
Maybe it was the gills, maybe it was the strange tendencies surrounding the bard, but ever since he popped up out of the water his voice sounded like his vocal cords had shrunk to the size of a tiny wee little thing, carrying on in a squeaky, high pitched, slightly softer version of himself.