Game Thread Desert of Desolation game - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Desert of Desolation series
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 29th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Half-Orc Fighter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7140
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Jaina Urthadar
left-aligned image
Jaina watched the water of the stream. The water rippled among the rocks that jutted above its surface. Traversing through the frigid water was not an option, at least not a pleasurable option. "I don't have any ideas for getting across the stream; however, I do have a spell that allows me to magically produce water, so we should be able to keep our waterskins filled once we get further into the mountains." Jaina paused as she kicked a small rock with her foot.

Last edited by Stormhammer; Sep 29th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6068
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Luinil Alqualond
left-aligned image
Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger | AC: 15 | HP: 38/38 | Status: Normal Passive Perception: 15 | Spell DC: 13 | Slots: 1st (2/2)

Luinil paused in his inspection of the tracks to glance up at Jaina, "Do you have a spell that could protect us from cold? The others were discussing staying overnight, perhaps you could prepare something against the temperature. I believe I can deal with the current, if you can keep us from freezing."

He went back to his tracking, scowling at the unfamiliar terrain. The ground is too loose here, he complained to himself, and it is too hot and dry. He found himself regretting every time in the past he'd cursed a tree or bush that interfered with his hunting...he would trade anything now to have every single plant back at this moment.

OOCLeonan, I apologize, I missed where you asked Luindil earlier if he favored the terrain. He would have shaken his head to the negative, mentioning growing up in the elven forests.

"The truth is, you're the weak and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." ~ Jules, Pulp Fiction
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2116
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Last night againAkmod responds to Kesh's questions, saying, "I have not seen the tomb myself, having not traveling far into the Desert of Desolation. As for the path, I suggest sticking to the caravan path, since it will avoid some of the worst terrain and is patrolled by the Lancers from Bralizzar."

Humpty follows Leonan and Kesh right to the edge of the water, having become fond of his new master Leonan and not wanting to leave his side. As they lean over to examine the marks discovered earlier, Humpty attempts to "pick Leonan's backpack" grabbing Leonan's evening rations before being caught in the act.

Camel die roll
Dice Sleight of mouth:
1d20-1 (10)-1 Total = 9

Leonan, roll a quick Perception check to see if you notice the thief.

Luinil, Kesh, and Leonan examine the prints in the soft ground near the ford. They determine that an unknown number of people and horses passed here. The people got close enough to touch the water (perhaps refilling their waterskins) and then horse hoofs trod the same ground to get across the stream. Apparently the animals are able to cross quickly without ill effects. They party does not need to resort to bridges, or Jaina's cold-resistance, or Wadjet's magical transport to get across.

The party takes turns at the bank dipping their waterskins and barrels (for the camels) in the rushing water the replenish their supply. The water is icy cold, and it numbs the fingers despite the precautions taken by our heroes. They are all thankful that Jaina has a water-creating spell for when they can't find fresh water such as this.

The stream is deep enough that the belly of a camel comes dangerously close to the foaming water. Nef keeps her eyes peeled, scanning the shadows of the banks in the fading light. Although the camels huff and steam at the cold water inundating their legs, they are trusting of their owners and carry the party across with no damage to their riders or themselves. After their struggles, the cadre travels for another hour or so before camping.

The next morning, the group travels all day to reach a solid wall of rock 300 feet high crossing the way ahead, the only route being through a narrow gorge. The axe stroke that created Northknife Pass is carried down through the wall in a narrow gorge that climbs the 300-foot height in its quarter-mile length. To the left of the trail, winds the turbulent mountain stream. The trail is so narrow that single-file passage is required, probably afoot. This is a perfect place for an ambush.

Last edited by fromthe1980s; Oct 1st, 2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 03:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 959
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard

As the company had their fill of water and continued on their way the footprints made him wary of wha could be ahead of them and didn't enjoy being in terrain that he was not completely familiar with. The path that now stood before them made his stomach hurt, a space that small was a good place for bandits to get them.

"Eh, I don't like this, this pathway is to narrow for more than one to be going through it at a time. Ripe for the picking as they say." He said to the group behind him as he got off the camel.

"Barfik, can you use your contraption again and get high enough to see what is over on the other side? Also Jaina, are you able to detect beings with evil intent? Does anyone? I could go and sneak over there and take a look myself, I am crafty with some illusion magic either way if we can scout ahead, the better of a plan we can come up with." He asked the dwarf and the cleric as he looked again to the path, before looking back to the others.

Dice Rolls:Dice Rolls Here

Mechanics:
HP / AC: (38/38) / (18)
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:

Character sheet and short stats:

I do not strike with my hand; he who strikes with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I strike with my mind...I do not kill with my sword; he who kills with his sword has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 02:12 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 338
Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm
Wadjet
right-aligned image

"I could come as well, or I could send my familiar with you," said Wadjet, lighting up an intricate smoking-pipe. He thought the narrow pathway before them reminded him of how serpents could swallow their prey whole, the carcass squeezed down the gullet in a single mass. "Either way, we would do well not to get too far from the rest of the group. I don't like the idea of getting shot out of the air or cornered by marauders."

OOC

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
Luinil Alqualond
left-aligned image
Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger | AC: 15 | HP: 38/38 | Status: Normal Passive Perception: 15 | Spell DC: 13 | Slots: 1st (2/2)

Luinil frowned at the current plan being suggested. "I would advise against any sort of flying, at this point," he said, glancing at the sky. "The sky here is very clear, with no cover. Anyone aloft may or may not be able to see what is on the ground, but they will most certainly be visible to everything for miles around."

He adds, "If advance scout is needed, I offer to go ahead of the group. I may be unfamiliar with desert landscapes, but some things in nature are constant." He felt fairly sure he could remain more silent and unseen than the others, illusions or not, but shrugged noncommittally, accepting whatever the group decided.

"The truth is, you're the weak and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." ~ Jules, Pulp Fiction
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 06:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2116
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s

As the heroes reach about mid-way through the gorge, discussing preparation for an ambush, a voice echoes off the canyon walls: Halt! You are required to pay toll of 10 gp per person and 10 gp per camel before you proceed! Leave the gold bags at the stream's edge. We are armed, all of us, and will allow no unpaid passage. We are watching from hidden locations, so no funny business. No one in the group can see the source of the voice from this vantage point but the voice came from in front of them somewhere.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 11:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard

Kesh heard the noises coming from above and the sound of "Toll" made him shake his head and put his arms up.

"Dammit! This is all we need. A bunch of bandits trying to take our gold." He said under his breath and rolled through the number of spells that he had available. He needed out of this confined space.

"Hey, what should we do? I don't think he has that many guys with him if we rush we can get out of here and position us better." He whispered to his companions that were behind him. He then quickly surveyed the walls above them, using the cover of his hood to take a look up. He hoped the others responded quickly in order to not be killed by a hail of arrows.

Dice Rolls:
Dice Insight to see if he's lying:
1d20+3 (11)+3 Total = 14
Dice Perception:
1d20 9

Mechanics:
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:

I do not strike with my hand; he who strikes with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I strike with my mind...I do not kill with my sword; he who kills with his sword has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
Luinil Alqualond
left-aligned image

Luinil eased to a halt as the voice echoed through the canyon. He doubted that the claim was true...any sizable force would be impossible to hide in the narrow crevasse. Probably only a few, or even a single person, trying a bluff. Still, even a few could be dangerous, with everyone in the open like this.

The desert may not be his preferred terrain, but he'd dealt with canyons and echoes before. He listened carefully, trying to pinpoint the location based on the pattern or echoes. His eyes also searched the terrain, looking for telltale signs like shadows, footprints, or different patterns of dust blowing in the wind.

Old Oct 4th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 783
GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis GMAnjis
Barfik
left-aligned image
As soon as Barfik hears the voice call out to them he again takes to the skies to get to a hight that he can Perception check to find the "bandits"
Dice Roll:
1d20+0 (14)+0 Total = 14
see the surrounding area to see if the claim is true. While he ascends he casts sanctuary on himself to give himself a little protection if they decide to shoot at him from their vantage points.

calling out to the voice, "Don't shoot I have halted my forward movement. we just need to asses our situation to best comply with your wishes."

Actions & Rolls

Stat Block

Old Oct 4th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 338
Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm Captain Sarcasm
Wadjet
right-aligned image

Wadjet raised his hand and summoned out of thin air a large bullhorn, one that appeared to be made not of any common material but of flames, frozen in a hand-held shape.

"LISTEN!" he shouted, his voice radiating back over the canyon walls. "WE'RE JUST GOING TO DISCUSS IT AMONGST OURSELVES AND TRY TO POOL THE MONEY TOGETHER!" he said, hoping that Barfik's actions didn't set them off.

"How many people do you think he has in there?" he whispered to the rest of the party, Kesh and Luinil in particular. "Plus cantrips, I've got fireball, haste, scorching ray, phantasmal force, misty step... Plus I have the high ground, I could take out a few of them."

"LISTEN!" said Wadjet, turning back to the canyon and trying to stall for time. "HOW DO WE KNOW YOU'LL PLAY FAIR? WHAT ASSURANCES DO WE HAVE THAT YOU'LL GRANT US SAFE PASSAGE?"

OOC

Last edited by Captain Sarcasm; Oct 5th, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2523
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Leonan - Eldritch Knight 4 / Paladin 1 | AC: 19 | HP: 44/44 | Status: Normal
Fighting Style: Defense +1 AC | Second Wind | Divine Sense | Lay on Hands | Action Surge
| Weapon Bond: Long Sword | Weapon Bond: Shield | Feat: War caster

Having paid attention to Barfik and Wadjets tactics, giving the party a few moments to react, Leonan played on the cautions side... for now. He whispers to Wadjet "Fewer than he, or they would hope us believe. As a tactician looking for an easy pay out I would perform the same act" Leo slowly puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, like shaking the hand of an old friend. Comfortable and reliant. "Im not much good at a range. I can hurl a simple firebolt, and not accurately might I add, but get me up close and personnel and I have yet to be bested" Leonan tightens his grip around his favored sword, squeezing beneath his palm the power of an Eldritch champion. "A cheap bandit is my guess" Leonan looks around as he moves his other hand towards his coin pouch, furthering the charade set forth by Wadjet, in secret readying a fire bolt if the opportunity were to present itself.

"Luinil...hope you are good with that bow..."

Old Oct 5th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
Luinil Alqualond
left-aligned image
Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger | AC: 15 | HP: 38/38 | Status: Normal | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell DC: 13 | Slots: 1st (2/2)

Luinil spared a wry smirk toward the Eldritch Knight at his comment. "I've fired an arrow or two in my time," he snarked. Likely before your grandparents had been spawned, human... he thought to himself.

Flicking a glance up at the elevated dwarf, he shrugged inwardly, figuring if the dwarf drew fire, at least they'd know where their opponents were, and how many. He doubted adding his voice to the conversation would contribute much...dwarves were better suited toward making noise than elves were...and simply scoured the terrain for signs of movement.

Last edited by Andor; Oct 5th, 2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

"Alright, if we are going to do this, we need to be fast I am versed in some illusion magic, as well as charm, also armed with a shortbow." He whispered to the others.

"That fireball might come in handy, game changer is what I like to call that one. But I worry about the camels, if we can get them to back up to the entrance we stand a better chance." He said as he tried to form a plan.

Dice Rolls:Dice Rolls Here

Mechanics:
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:

Old Oct 6th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
Luinil Alqualond
left-aligned image
Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger | AC: 15 | HP: 38/38 | Status: Normal | Passive Perception: 15 | Spell DC: 13 | Slots: 1st (2/2)

Luinil nodded to the dwarf, and spoke a brief spell. He then turned to whisper to the camels, gesturing toward the way the group came, giving them a reassuring pat.

The camels turned and shuffled back toward the entrance, and Luinil said, "They will wait for us, out of harm's way."

Last edited by Andor; Oct 6th, 2017 at 12:03 PM.