RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jun 29th, 2024, 12:23 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50065
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Talia Dawnstar
left-aligned image
Talia rubbed her sore shoulders… ogre bones were quite dense and heavy. She was all set to delve below into the darkness the Tegan had revealed but then she heard a voice. Talia looked around, having heard someone thank her, she wanted to be polite and say you're welcome… but she did not see anyone paying much of any attention to her.

"A kender? I never expected a kender to be the one to come to my aid. Then again, it makes sense. Who would be brave enough to face such darkness but a kender?"

That is when Talia saw the spectre and she quickly overcame her initial shock as she saw that the spirit was not only friendly… but talkative.

"I mean… like… really? Who else could it be but me? I'm not even surprised in the least," Talia said in reply as she bowed back.

As the spirit continued to speak, Talia waved her hands to try to get him to slow down a bit as she quickly grabbed her journal. "Hold on… I'm trying to get this down… DON'T SMASH SKULL… yet. Okay… two more below… top dog up above… got it. Wait… what?"

Talia looked up from her writing and began to giggle to herself. If anyone else was looking they would have seen her talking to herself and then walking over to the large skull as she tried to see if she could lift it… or even wear it.

"It could be like a breastplate really… if I can get my arms in the eyes… I'm not sure. Okay let me write this down. SKULL = INVISIBLE."

Talia felt bad for the bound spirit and she smiled at the spectre as she patted her hoopak. "Don't worry, my friends are really good at killing things… even dead things. Just wondering, but… is there anything your friends below and above don't like… you know… so we can, like, re-kill them?"

Talia looked up at the ghost, her impish grin irresistible even to the dead. As she stood poised to write, the spirit answered her query.

"Okay… what's that? Slow down a sec… okay… bright light downstairs… like sunlight… yeah? Ok… got it enchanted stuff? I think we have some? My hoopak makes ice balls! Now upstairs… jump him? Oh… no honor stuff… like sneak attack before he gets all evil and unholier than thou art. I hate that. Okay… I think we are good. Stay here in case I have more questions. Thanks!"

OOC Persuasion: 19 (Talia will explain everything to anyone who asks)
(No Aoo - fancy footwork and she has alert)

Stat Block

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Jun 29th, 2024 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 07:14 AM
He/Him

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27769
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
As the others rested, Devari played, the recently acquired kimanjah singing in her hands. The instrument produced a hauntingly sweet music, turning nearly any ditty into an emotional elegy. As she played she left the valley of Hurim, with all of its troubles and travails, behind, sinking back into her childhood and those barely-remembered happy times with Mama and Amare. There had been so much laughter in their home back then, so much hope and joy! Amare was going to be a sailor, she was going to captain a ship and discover distant lands, having adventures enough to fill a hundred volumes! It had seemed so believable back then. Anything was possible. Fear was an abstract concept when your belly was full and your mama was there to wrap her arms around you.

Even when they had struck out on their own, it had been Amare's relentless confidence and optimism which had driven them ever forward, and Devari realised now that since she had lost her sister she had simply been drifting from one place to another with no real plan and no intentions beyond finding another meal and bed. If Amare had lived would they both be here on this adventure now? It seemed doubtful. If they had been planning their next steps they never would have decided to journey into the Khurish desert. So had the gods taken Amare so that Devari would end up on this path? Could they be so cruel?

Devari realised that she had stopped playing a while before, her hands closing the song without the aid of her mind, and now the others were getting ready to enter the watchtower. She sat there for a few moments more, centring herself back in the here and now. She would need to be alert for whatever they might face inside, any break in focus could mean the death of her or one of her friends. Amare was gone but she still had people counting on her.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," she grumbled as she stood, putting the instrument away and readying the crossbow instead. "Don't go killing all of the monsters without me, okay?"

The tower was pretty much what she should have expected; a dark, damp, decrepit old building filled with dust and bones, and yet somehow she was disappointed. Well, not disappointed, but not relieved like any sensible person would have been. It was more like an anticlimax.

Hope reminded them all that the bones they found could reanimate at any moment, which was just the spur that Devari needed to keep her guard up.

"Well… if they don't have legs…" said Talia, dragging two huge bones past, "they can't be much of a problem!"

"I dunno," she replied with a smile, "II would probably take their arms instead. Or their head." She looked at the massive skull sitting in the middle of the corridor and something about it sent a chill up her spine. "Okay, maybe not the head."

Their search of the floor turned up four trapdoors, two leading up and two down, and Tegan was already hard at work heaving one of the lower ones up.

"That's kind of weird, don't you think?" she observed as they all watched the squire at work. "Why are the trapdoors directly over each other like this? Unless something is supposed to go straight down through them. Or up. Could the Istarians fly?"

She realised that she was chattering nervously and stopped herself, clamping her lips tight while Tegan finally managed to pull the trapdoor all the way open, releasing a horrible stench and an unholy chill.

"Great," she said, leaning forward to peer into the dark hole. "So now I have to choose between holding the crossbow or a torch. You know, under the circumstances, I think I'm gonna go with fire."

Before they were able to start their descent, Talia returned from wherever she had been and described an encounter with a spirit which had been released when she moved the bones. It claimed to be a guard, and that an ogre mage had killed him long ago and that now it wanted to help them. Brow furrowed she turned to Isandril and Hope, who she supposed would be the most likely of the party to have some kind of answer here.

"Does this make sense to you guys? Why did this 'Brumik' spare the spirit of some lowly guard? And why can he now appear after the mage's skeleton gets moved?" She rubbed her bristly scalp in thought. "In the stories, spirits are usually tricky. They try to fool the living and eat their souls, or something. This just feels like that. And I like my soul where it is."

Old Jul 4th, 2024, 02:55 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8828
FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor
Isandril Moonsilver, Wizard of High Sorcery
right-aligned image
Peering into the darkness beneath the now opened trapdoor, Isandril took a sharp breath. "There are an awful lot of bones down there," he shared with his companions as he drew his sword, its silver moonlight making their surroundings at least somewhat brighter. "And the stench..." He paused then, taking a step back from the opening and reaching for something in one of his belt pouches. What he took out was a small jar containing what looked like a black pyramid. With the hint of a smile, he unsealed it carefully, almost as if what was kept inside was his most valuable possession. Then he brought it closer to his nose and took a quick whiff before once again tightening the lid and putting it back in his pouch. An expression of disgust marred his features, one he was unable to suppress entirely. Yet his smile widened. "I am afraid whatever is down there has got your little "gift" beat, my dear sister," the mage muttered softly before once more composing himself and returning his focus to the matter at hand.

"This place is...," Isandril began, his attention diverted by Devari's questions. "Well, cursed," he finally said. "I have to say, some poor guard's spirit becoming trapped because of whatever magics this ogre mage unleashed would not be that far-fetched. Much like it would not be far-fetched for others to have become similarly trapped and then corrupted as the years passed." He raised a slender finger. "Yet, you make a good point. If it were Brumik that persisted after death, his powers diminished but not gone, he might try to trick those that find themselves here into helping him. Ogre mages can be particularly cunning. And if he were as powerful as this Maasin seems to claim, an illusion of an innocent guard should be a simple matter." The elven wizard sighed. "What if destroying the other lingering wraiths actually empowered Brumik, if we are indeed dealing with him in disguise?"

Isandril glanced at the open trapdoor. "If we are not to take the spirit's words at face value, then we do not have enough information to make an informed decision, I think. Yet, I fear we have little choice in the matter. If this is all true, can we really turn our backs to the trapped spirits? And even if it is Brumik who wants the others gone, should we not investigate further? Perhaps grant them the rest denied to them for so long? And in the process we may shed some more... heh... light into this whole situation."

Action Block

Stat Block

I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by FCastor; Jul 4th, 2024 at 03:19 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 11:41 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40340
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Shadowy Encounters
There were few places, even in the cursed valley of Hurim, that appeared less inviting than the gaping hole in the damaged floor of the watchtower, a place full of darkness, cold and the stench of death. And yet, the companions were determined to explore every dark corner of the tower in their search for the truth.

right-aligned image
Brumik’s magic skull
The skull of the ogre mage stared at them, or at least that was the impression the companions got each time they turned their heads to look at it. Without eyes, the skull’s dark eye sockets seemed to glare at each and every one of them with a hatred that made even the bravest of them uneasy.

All but the kender, of course.

Talia was thinking of creative ways of ‘wearing’ the skull, like a breastplate, or perhaps a backpack of sorts. If Maasin the soldier were to be trusted, the skull’s residual magic could render the kender invisible! That didn’t mean that Talia was a fool. Devari’s words of caution still rang in her ears. Spirits were tricky, she had claimed, always eager to fool mortals and eat their souls, which was, all in all, not a particularly pleasant experience, Talia gathered. Then again, kender were also often regarded as thieves and liars, which was most definitely untrue, as both Talia and the god Gilean could testify. What if the spirits were victims of slander too? What if Maasin truly required Talia’s help to free himself and the others doomed spirits from the influence of the ogre mage?

While Talia was still considering whether or not to make use of the magical, oversized skull, she and the rest of her companions decided to follow Maasin’s advice and use light against the lost souls waiting for them in the basement. Even if the spirit was trying to deceive them, bringing light into the darkness appeared to be the most logical thing to do. Kiri-Jolith’s blessing imbued Kanna with divine light, Isandril’s moon-touched sword emanated the silvery radiance of Solinari and Devari put her faith in more mundane, but no less efficient equipment - a torch, every poor adventurer’s light source of choice since the Age of Dreams.

Hope and Redwaters offered to stay behind, to make sure that the trap door wouldn’t suddenly close shut and imprison their friends inside and also be certain that the ogre skeletons wouldn’t just rise from the dead to ambush them and finish their bloody work. Talia and Tegan, followed by Devari, Isandril and Xihue, cautiously descended the stairs, allowing the light to flood the underground chamber. What they saw turned their stomachs.

Bones.

Unlike the remains at the floor level of the watchtower, these bones were mostly intact, even with pieces of skin and hair still sticking on them. An Investigation check may offer more informationOne could easily picture the individuals they had belonged to, huddled together to await their horrible fate.

left-aligned image
The shadowy denizens of the watchtower’s basement
As the light rapidly conquered the darkness, the shadows inside the underground chamber shifted. And then they moved, retreating from the sources of light, whether mundane or magical, arcane or divine. Though they made no sound, the companions’ minds were invaded by thoughts that were alien and primitive in nature, thoughts that repeated themselves constantly and conveyed an inhuman hunger unlike any the travelers themselves had experienced.

Light… Warmth… Hunger… Light… Warmth… HUNGER!

These were no ordinary shadows corrupted by the valley’s curse. These were creatures that had been born in darkness, feared the light and existed to feed off the warmth of living beings. It was as Maasin had claimed.

The shadowy creatures clearly hesitated. Was this the first time that they had been touched by the light? It wasn’t actually sunlight, anathema to many of their kind, but even so, they were reluctant to allow the light to define and restrict them. And yet, their hunger could not be denied. It was stronger than fear, it was the core of their existence.

Soon enough, they would attack. Soon enough, they would feed.

And the companions would join them in the darkness and the cold.

Forever.

Calendar23rd Day of Aelmont (Winter) 422 AC / 38 SC, Noon

Solinari: 17/36 (High Sanction)
Lunitari: 26/28 (Low Sanction)
Nuitari: 7/8 (Waning)

Boons/Penalties:
White Robes +1 spell DC, ADV on spell attack rolls | Red Robes -1 spell DC, DIS on spell attack rolls | Black Robes -

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 12:06 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Talia Dawnstar
left-aligned image
Talia wrangled with the oversized ogre skull as she moved it closer to the stairs leading down into the dark. As she reached the edge, it became apparent that the only way the kender would get the skull below would be if she stowed her hoopak, something she was in no way keen to do. Instead, Talia placed the skull down and stared into its empty eye sockets until she saw an almost imperceptible mote of light within. She stared at the light and it seemed to speed toward her until the light sprang from the eye sockets and surrounded her. The light felt kind of warm… a bit fuzzy.

Talia then loaded a bullet into her hoopak and ventured downstairs into the area illuminated by Tegan's sword. Talia watched as the swords of light stabbed into the thick darkness. It may have been her mind playing tricks on her but she swore she saw the shadows recoil from the light. Talia looked at the dead all around her, the stench threatening to make her gag… something that an invisible person would certainly not want to happen.

She wanted to inspect the corpses, not really, but she thought she should, but as she tried to do so she saw the shadows moving independently… threateningly. There was no sense in waiting and so Talia darted across the room and sent a stone whistling into the nearest shadow.

OOC Attack purple with advantage

Stat Block

Old Jul 8th, 2024, 03:01 PM
The Lord is my shepherd

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12596
Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382
Unnerving Undead Underfoot
right-aligned image
Tegan led the way down the stairs, hearing his friends conversation behind, but needing to press on into the dark cellar before he lost his nerve. The light of Kanna shown before him as he held the sword forth as a torch. The darkness itself seemed to shrink back, but there in front of them were two forms.

The idea of trapped souls of undeath hungering after their warm blood chilled Tegan. With frozen joints he marched forward, leading the way towards the foes. As he looked at the disfigured and twisted images of soldiers, he couldn't help but think of those who were lost on this world, their souls trapped in their afterlife. Was this what their ultimate end was if the companions failed?

Struggling with the despair of the thought, Tegan swung his sword, but it lacked the usual discipline. There was a ringing sound as his downward cleaving strike struck stone. Sparks flew, but Kanna, being of powerful magic, appeared no worse for wear. A normal blade would have become a khurish scimitar with a blow like that, but this was no ordinary blade. Steeling himself, Tegan shook his head and attempted to bolster his friends. "Advance! We can defeat them. Stay close to me so I can try to protect you!"

1 Tim 1:12-17
There is no shame in defeat so long as the spirit is unconquered. - Praetor Fenix
A sword wields no strength unless the hands that holds it has courage.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 03:38 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor
right-aligned image
The smell was almost unbearable, but at the very least the light, both magical and mundane, that helped illuminate the darkness around them provided Isandril with comfort enough. That is, until the shadows themselves apparently sought their demise.

As the mage prepared for the coming fight, he glanced at what remained of those that had found their way in this place before. All in all, it seemed that around ten people had died in this basement, though he could hardly tell what exactly had killed them. Shaking his head ISandril once more turned his attention to the two shadowy creatures about to attack. Or rather, the one remaining after Talia's enchanted weapon had made short work of the other. Unlike the kender, however, the knight proved less successful at dispatching their foe, perhaps owing to the fiend's apparently ethereal nature. Luckily, such a trait mattered little to projectiles made of pure arcane force.

"Braacius," the Silvanesti wizard intoned and a trio of translucent orbs of magical energy briefly danced over the palm of his outstretched hand before speeding towards the shadow, each of them slamming into its dark form.

Action Block

Stat Block

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 06:50 PM
Truculent Troubadour

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33750
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
Xihue of the Alan-Atu
right-aligned image
Xihue
Each of his companions was fascinating in their own, unique way and Xihue was tempted to just observe the battle as a form of entertainment. That, however, would be considered irresponsible, cowardly, and maybe even selfish.

The dank, dark confines of the tower's compromised, corpse-filled Bailey screamed its witness to death and decay. Talia, ever the bravest of them had engaged in a productive conversation with the spirit of something helpful, even if dubiously friendly. Its explanation was plausible. Devari's abundance of caution mirrored Xihue's own, unsubstantiated concerns. Devari spoke her thoughts almost as if they were read from his own mind. It made him feel strangely closer to her.

Truthful or not, the subsequent activities proceeded accordingly, in fulfillment of the "guard's" recommendations. The door downward was flung open to reviel an even more fetid chamber of bones and bodies. It stunk worse than the midden heaps used to fertilize the gardens and winter farms. Yet, into this they depended.

Battle was quickly enjoined with Talia's hopak spitting a deadly bullet and Isandril's arcane missiles following with mirrored precision. Xihue had a clear line of sight that exposed moving shadows, briefly repelled by the light of Tegan's sword. The monk snapped his limbs into kinetic motion, a series of swift, starts and stops that drew a static charge from the dry air. Every hair upon his body was soon perpendicular to its location on Xihue's skin. It was a strange and stimulating sensation, one of pent-up potential. The dracinic connection became stronger as Xihue shouted toward the one remaining form at the edge of light and life.

The "shout" emerged from Xihue's open mouth as an energetic beam of sparkling lighting that sizzles the intervening distance between the dead and the living but the discharge was too close to Tegan. If it connected with the metal of the squire's armor, it would likely do more harm to his friend than to the shepherd's foe. Xihue clamped his lips closed, swallowing the remainder of the charge and reformed the energy into motion.

As a blur that rivaled the lightning that had preceded it, Xihue's open hand hand snapped beneath the apparent chin of the cold shadow that still glowed from its unwilled introduction to Isandril's missiles. Acid splashed from the dragon monk's unarmed strike to sizzle into the undead being that was now sandwiched between Tegan and himself.

Become a Community Supporter.
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 10:49 AM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Darkness Parted
left-aligned image
All that remains after death
Like another Huma Dragonbane, Tegan uth William charged, his blessed sword giving off the radiance of heaven. The darkness parted before the light, as it had done since time immemorial, since the High God had entrusted Paladine and Takhisis to embody these antithetical elements of creation.

Even as they evaded the Solamnic squire’s attack, the living shadows shrank back before his unyielding valor, trying to hide among the dusty slabs of the floor, the forgotten bones lying around and the hard stone of the columns supporting the roof. The light, however, left them little choice. They shifted and grew less distinct, but still their outlines remained visible, the shadowy beings remained vulnerable.

Talia, confident in her skill and the veil of invisibility the magical skull had granted her, aimed carefully before letting the stone fly. The missile flying through the air sparkled like a crystal in the light of Devari’s torch, the layer of ice covering its surface growing thicker the longer it lay in contact with the hoopak. Though the shadowy creature had few if any discernible features, the kender had little difficulty imagining where its head would have been, had it been a living creature. In her mind, she painted bulging eyes, a large nose and a big, frog-like mouth to the mass of darkness, adding scars, freckles and a beard for good measure. Her target was the creature’s forehead, a target her stone hit with great precision. The ice fought to devour the darkness and though the battle of the two elements appeared to be inconclusive, Talia’s missile must have hit some vital shadowy organ, for the presence turned nonetheless into smoke that disappeared through the cracks of the ceiling.

Realizing that elemental magic was rather weak against the creatures, Isandril attacked the remaining shadow with missiles of pure magical force that pulsed like living hearts. Once, twice, thrice they struck the fell being and even though no cry of pain was heard, the darkness became slower and less solid than it had been.

Taking advantage of the creature’s diverted attention, Xihue unleashed from his mouth a great bolt of lightning that made the hair on the back of everyone’s hair stand on end. At the very last moment, the shadow shifted without warning and Tegan was forced to deflect the electric bolt with his shield, keeping him safe from harm, though it left his entire left arm numb.

Losing not a single moment, Xihue quickly closed the distance between himself and the shadow, attacking it with fist and elbow, foot and knee. Each time his blows hit their target, the dark essence of the creature sizzled as if having come in contact with acid. Though this form of attack too appeared not to cause the harm the warrior-shepherd had expected, his sheer determination was enough to break whatever bonds were keeping the shadowy being tethered to the basement. After several hits, the second shadow turned into smoke too and its dark tendrils disappeared through the cracks in the roof to join the first one in oblivion.

Within moments, stillness once more ruled inside the basement of the watchtower. Warmth reluctantly returned, though the terrible smell and the darkness persisted. The remains of the ones that had lost their lives there weren’t affected in any way by the destruction of the dark spirits. Could they be harboring other shadowy creatures like them, waiting for the light to go out before they dared attacking the living?

The companions were now free to investigate the tower’s deepest chamber, try to properly honor the remains of the humans that had been killed inside the basement or reseal the trapdoor in the hope that the petrified wood would be enough to keep any dark presence inside before attempt to climb the watchtower to its top.

Whatever they did, they had to hurry. The shadows outside were already growing longer. What would happen if the companions were courageous - or foolhardy - enough to spend the night inside the cursed valley?

Calendar23rd Day of Aelmont (Winter) 422 AC / 38 SC, Afternoon

Boons/Penalties:
White Robes +1 spell DC, ADV on spell attack rolls | Red Robes -1 spell DC, DIS on spell attack rolls | Black Robes -

Old Jul 15th, 2024, 09:20 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Talia Dawnstar
left-aligned image
The shadows quickly dissipated… dissolved…disappeared? Talia wasn't sure what the correct term was but the inky murderers were gone and that was a good thing. Talia was sure that the shadows were the spirits Maasin had spoken about and so she mentally checked off step one of her mission. She looked, sadly, around the rest of the chamber, at the bones of the unfortunate enough to be entombed here but then smiled.

"Okay… well… now we have to get the commander upstairs," Talia announced happily as she made her way back to the ground floor.

She shifted the ogre mage skull closer to the ceiling trap door and she contemplated standing on it to reach the door but quickly decided against it. Her clothes were a bit snug after traveling with the nomads and she didn't think Maasin would take kindly to an accidental breakage of the skull.

Instead Talia stared at the wall leading up to the door. She walked closer and checked the depth of any hand and toe holds she could find. The kender then began to slowly pick her way up the wall like a gecko until she reached the ceiling. Then Talia arched her back backwards and gripped the seam of the trapdoor. As dust fell from the ceiling, Talia swung herself free, thinking in her kender mind that gravity and her own weight would bring the door down.

Instead, gravity worked only to send Talia plummeting to the floor. She landed with a bang and a groan. She slowly stood and dusted herself off, shaking her tiny fist at the offending door.

"Ouch… that did not work."

OOC 13 acrobatics to climb: 5 investigation, 8 arcana

Stat Block

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Jul 15th, 2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2024, 08:04 AM
He/Him

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27769
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
The companions descended to the lower level and made short work of the spectral inhabitants they found.

"Didn't that seem a little too easy to anyone else?" she wondered, still sceptical about how friendly the spirit in the ogre skull really was. "Obviously you were all very heroic, I'm not saying you weren't, just… they didn't even attack anyone. Something is definitely off."

She poked around the basement for a while, hoping to find some kind of clue so that everything would suddenly make sense, but turned up nothing but dust and debris. Not even cobwebs. Climbing back up to the main level she cast a suspicious look at the skull as its empty sockets watched Talia acrobatically trying to get the upper trapdoor open.

I should just smash it, she thought. What harm would it do? And if I'm right it could save us so much trouble.

But hadn't Talia said that the spirit wanted them to smash it? Was that just a bluff? Or was she just being paranoid? She had to know!

Sitting cross-legged in front of the skull, she leaned forward and knocked on its cranium.

"Hello? Maasin, was it? Show yourself! I want answers!"

Old Jul 18th, 2024, 06:53 PM
The Lord is my shepherd

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12596
Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382
Abyssmal Abnormalities Above
right-aligned image
With a sudden surge of attacks, their foes were dispersed, passing like chaff in the wind. Tegan felt a calm come over him, replacing his previous fear of the undead as he realized just how powerful they had become. Even with his failed strike, the allies had quickly dissolved their foes into nothing... unless... Devari's word echoed in the dark basement.

"Didn't that seem a little too easy to anyone else... Something is definitely off."

Tegan nodded in agreement as he scanned the interior of the cellar-level. Devari was right, there was something fishy going on. Regardless, they had to press on - the truth would come out one way or another. Examining the skeletons he could tell they were humans, but that was about it. No more ogres downstairs. With a pointed toe, he nudged a small pile of bones, turning it over and crouching to examine it closer. Praying to Kiri-Jolith, Tegan closed his eyes, took a deep breath, opened his eyes and looked around the remains. There was, to his surprise, no signs of desecration. He wasn't a true paladin of Kiri-Jolith, but his intuition told him that these bodies weren't defiled and that there weren't additional evil spirits lurking nearby. As for what to do with the remains, he didn't know. On instinct, Tegan waved his gauntleted hand around the room. "Kiri-Jolith, if it is within your power to maintain the peace in this room, I ask that you would do so. Reveal to us the true events that happened here, and guide us to the source of this corruption, that we may cleanse it."

His ideas were exhausted and his senses were screaming at him to escape this death-ridden basement. With a final glance to ensure no further foes were presenting themselves, Tegan marched back up the stairs. As he stared at the ceiling, wondering how to reach the trapdoor, the spider-kender scaled the wall quickly. She hung by the handle of the door and wriggled her body in a vain attempt to move the fossilized wood. Eventually, she came crashing down, with only a cloud of dust to reward her efforts.

Isandril approached. "Perhaps, this will aid your efforts." The mage began some kind of ritual as he presented a small vial of silver liquid. He chanted words in the language of magic and as he finished, a disk, maybe a meter in diameter, found itself floating in the air beneath the door. It was not thick, but Isandril gestured from Tegan to the disk, as if to say "go on".

Shrugging, Tegan slung his shield onto the base of the disc, several feet off the ground, sheathed his sword, and performed a pull-up, lifting his armored body quickly from the ground to the base of the disk. Tegan had expected this focused "force" to be unstable and wobbly, but it felt as sturdy as solid ground as the soldier heaved himself up.

Tegan stood on the disk, inspecting the trapdoor, now just at the apex of his reach. Tegan rubbed his gauntlets together, wiped his forehead with the corner of his tabard, and grabbed the handle with both hands. Again the warrior flexed his muscles, and again the tower yielded to his strength. With a massive heaving pull, the dust began to pour from above as the door slowly began to swing. As the door's inertia slowly increased, the inching door suddenly, aided by gravity, opened with force. Tegan ducked to avoid it hitting him as its arc passed the point where his head just was.

Tegan listened for a moment as he reattached his shield, then lifted the lit Kanna to investigate. He knew that as he entered, the others would be right behind.

1 Tim 1:12-17
There is no shame in defeat so long as the spirit is unconquered. - Praetor Fenix
A sword wields no strength unless the hands that holds it has courage.
Old Jul 20th, 2024, 01:11 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
The Skull of Fistandantilus
Some stories were never told, but were lost in the mists surrounding the River of Time. So it was with the story of the watchtower’s basement and the ones who had died inside it. The dead kept their secrets well and even if their tale had somehow been written on the walls and the floor of this dark room, none of the companions could read the words of that tragic and forgotten language.

That didn’t mean that lack of understanding also meant lack of compassion.

Kneeling before his sword, which served as a suitable altar to the god of honor, justice and righteous battle, Tegan prayed to Kiri-Jolith. His words were few and simple, but from the heart, and even in that dark, desecrated place they swiftly reached their intended recipient.

Nothing happened to indicate that the deity was willing to intervene on his follower’s behalf. The bones didn’t crumble to dust, the darkness didn’t part before the light of heavens, nor did the ground shake to signify Kiri-Jolith’s presence. And yet, Tegan knew, as he turned his back to the dusty bones and emptied-eyes skulls to climb the stairs that led back to the ground floor, that the god was there, beside him. He knew it with certainty because his heart felt light and the hilt of his sword fit in his hand perfectly. What more could he wish for other than the strength and courage to deal with whatever lay ahead?

Aided by one of Isandril’s spells, this time one of utility, designed by some long forgotten archmage to carry their earthly possessions, the squire managed to open the heavy trapdoor leading to the floor above, strength of body and mind overcoming the ravages of time. Talia, whose acrobatic prowess had proved incapable of achieving the same result minutes earlier, skillfully climbed on the Solamnic’s shoulders to reach the opening, bravely disappearing into the hole in the ceiling.

Her newest toy and most precious possession, the skull of the ogre mage Brumik, remained behind, too large and too fragile for the kender to take along as she climbed. Devari eyed it with undisguised suspicion. No matter what powers it granted the one willing to deal with it, she found it particularly hard to put her faith in the words of a spirit housed inside an evil skull.

right-aligned image
Any and all similarities between the two skulls are purely coincidental…
How often had her mother performed the ‘Curse of Fistandantilus’, a tragedy in three acts where a young adventurer came upon the skull of the ancient archmage in the ruins of Skullcap? Devari had been too young to participate as an actress on stage, but after much pleading and cajoling she had been entrusted with the important role of playing Fistandantilus himself or at least voicing the mage as he tried to seduce the young man holding his skull.

"I can give you what your heart desires", she had whispered, making her voice appear deep and otherworldly. "I can give you what you have been dreaming about ever since laying your eyes on her pretty face. Nothing is beyond my reach…"

It was all lies of course. The skull only cared for the return to life of its true owner. The young adventurer realized this too, though it was too late by the time he did. His beloved, the daughter of a great Solamnic lord played by Devari’s mother, had already been claimed by the archmage and slain her entire family. Smashing the skull banished the evil spirit, but Fistandantilus only went after claiming the girl’s life force for himself, feeding off her youth and beauty.

For a moon or so the play had been a great success, but interest waned soon afterwards and the troupe decided that a comedy, ‘The Unknown Adventures of Fizban the Fabulous’, would stand a better chance at keeping the people laughing and the steel filling their coffers. This time, young Devari had been in charge of the chicken feathers and had to shout "Pveatherfall!" as loudly as she could.

Sitting down in front of the skull, Devari frowned before leaning forward and knocking on it like she would have knocked at a door. If that didn’t catch the attention of the spirit dwelling inside it, nothing would.

She didn’t have to wait long for the spirit to appear, exactly as Talia had described it, still armored and helmeted as one of Hurim’s ancient defenders, visible only to her.

left-aligned image
Maasin, defender of Hurim
"A human", Maasin exclaimed in surprise, but seemed to be gladdened by the sight of Devari leaning towards him.

"Welcome, daughter of Paladine! I sense that you and the kender have been successful in freeing my brothers kept below. Now only the commander remains inside the tower, forever bound by his oath and duty. Help him, please! He has suffered long enough. The darkness of this place has twisted him. He sees enemies everywhere! He will allow none to appear before him, welcoming all invaders with death. He was a great warrior in life. Now, he is even more formidable."

There was conviction in the spirit’s words, genuine care for the fate of the man under whose commands he had willingly served so long ago. It was said that the bonds of brothers in arms were even greater than those of blood. Maasin could have asked Talia to break the skull that kept him a prisoner to this place, but he didn’t. He wanted to see his commander freed first. He wanted to know that he too would be allowed to travel towards the light.

Devari pursed her lips, unsure of what to make of Maasin. He seemed to be telling the truth, asking for nothing that could benefit him. He didn’t make any empty promises, didn’t offer her “what her heart desired”. And yet…

Talia’s voice and the sudden appearance of a rope reaching all the way to the floor caught the companions’ attention. The kender was talking about more empty rooms on the level above, rooms filled with even more bones, rusted pieces of weapons and armor and petrified wooden splinters. It seemed that the ogres had reached this place too and left none alive. There were more trapdoors in the ceiling as well, Talia informed them, fifteen feet off the ground and without the trace of a ladder. This time, Isandril’s little trick wouldn’t work. They would need wings to reach them!

One by one, the companions climbed the rope, some with great skill, others with difficulty. Only Redwaters stayed behind, volunteering to look for something the others could use to reach the trapdoor, a table perhaps, a chair or even a boulder to step upon. He hoped that Chislev would show him the way and that she would work one of her miracles through him. Even in such a place, he could hear her whispers, feel her presence in his heart. She wouldn’t abandon him, not now, not ever, just like he would never abandon her.

One floor above, Talia rushed forward, ready to explore the room, but was stopped by the mage’s firm grip on her shoulder. There, the elf indicated, and there. The wood was rotten and fragile, making the floor unsteady. The companions would have to avoid these places or risk falling to the ground floor and breaking an arm or a leg.

But there was more than just timbers made frail by time that Isandril spotted. His eyes were instantly drawn to two places next to the thick columns supporting the ceiling where the shadows appeared to be thicker, the darkness more unwilling to give its place to the light streaming inside the room through the small windows. There was something disconcerting about them, something that made his heart beat faster.

Was the room truly empty or did it only appear so? And if there was danger inside, why had Maasin not warned them about it?

Calendar23rd Day of Aelmont (Winter) 422 AC / 38 SC, Afternoon

Boons/Penalties:

Old Jul 21st, 2024, 02:24 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
Having dealt with the shadows lurking in the tower's basement, Isandril and the others were finally free to ascend to the first floor of the structure, a bit more secure in the knowledge that at least nothing would come at them from behind. As far as they knew, at least.

No sooner had the mage stepped through the trapdoor, which now stood open thanks to a combination of his magics and Tegan's strength, than he looked up. More trapdoors, but those were even higher up than the previous ones. He shook his head; their trick would not work a second time and a new way to reach them would have to be found. With a soft sigh he then started looking around for hazards and points of interest. Of the former, he found two places where the wooden floor would easily give way were one, even one as light as a kender, to step on them. Of the latter...

Next to the columns supporting the ceiling there stood two spots of darkest shadow. Unlike the rest of the room, these did not so easily give way to the light of torches and magical swords. They appeared deep, deeper than they had any right to be were they of a natural origin. What is more, they also seemed to completely absorb the light. Isandril took a deep breath and a step forward at the same time. There was only so much he could discern about them from a distance, but was it wise to approach them? Another tentative step. On one hand, keeping a safe distance was certainly prudent. On the other, he could not deny that his curiosity was piqued. If it were an enemy, one like the shadows below, would it not have attacked them already? And if it was some sort of magical effect, should he not investigate it further? Certainly Aldarin would agree that sometimes one should choose the riskier path. The Silvanesti wizard smiled thinly to himself. Even so...

Isandril reached into the magic within himself. If he were to take the riskier path, he might as well prepare as best he could. After casting several spells in succession in an attempt to better examine the areas of darkness, his efforts -and his decision to not simply charge blindly into the unknown- appeared to bear fruit.

"These shadowy spots beside the columns," he finally said, "are not of a natural origin. They give off an aura of powerful conjuration magic, magic used to more or less call creatures or object into being, as well as transport them to other places. Yet we have not been attacked and it appears we are, at least for now, alone in this floor." He paused for a moment before continuing. "Furthermore, a magical... well, hand I conjured to try and interact with those pools of darkness from afar appeared to vanish as soon as it touched the shadows. My conclusion, or rather my educated guess, is that those two dark spots may be gates of sorts. Portals utilizing the essence of shadows to work. If I am correct, then we are presented with several options depending of whether we want to block them, or at least try to, or investigate further and perhaps see where they lead." He raised one finger. "If we want to attempt the former, then a sufficiently strong spell that conjures light should be enough to weaken them enough so that they stop working. Or we could try to block the area in front of the portal through magical or physical means." The mage then raised a second finger. "If, however, we want to investigate where they lead and perhaps close them from the other side, we could try going through them." He cleared his throat. "I will admit I am more than curious and would indeed be willing to attempt such a... heh... leap of faith, but they could lead anywhere. They could lead to the floor above us or to a cell. I suppose at least, seeing as they probably need shadows on both ends to function as a conduit, they probably do not lead to, say, a thousand feet in the air." He smiled. "By the way, there being two of them could mean there are two possible destinations."

Having shared all he could with the others, Isandril sighed and then turned to Talia. "I do not suppose your new spectral friend has anything to share about those shadowy pools?"

Action Block

Stat Block

Last edited by Elanir; Jul 21st, 2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Talia Dawnstar
left-aligned image
Talia was less than thrilled that Devari decided to interrogate her new undead friend. It's not everyday that one gets to meet a ghost and a nice one at that and Talia did not want Devari's sour attitude to ruin her fun. The kender frowned at the bard but left her with the ogre skull as she instead went above with Isandril to scout out the next floor.

A quick inspection of the room unveiled nothing much different than the floors below. In fact… Talia looked around… a bit bored. Isandril dutifully pointed out the weak points on the floor but the small thief was hardly worried about falling through… some of her heavier colleagues though?

As the rude thought crossed her mind, Talia turned her attention to the dark shadows that Isandril was in the process of inspecting. Her attention was quickly perked when the mage mentioned that the shadows could be magical portals and it took all of her willpower to stop herself from rushing through to see what was on the other side.

"I do not suppose your new spectral friend has anything to share about those shadowy pools?" Isandril asked Talia and the kender shrugged her shoulders as she looked down through the trapdoor at Devari concluding her conversation with Maasin.

"Hey… if you're done harassing my friend down there, can you bring my skull up here. Isandril wants to show Maasin something important."

OOC If the skull is brought up, Talia will relay the questions about the portal.

Stat Block