twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 9th, 2024, 11:49 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 704
Red Leper Red Leper Red Leper Red Leper Red Leper Red Leper Red Leper
Just to make sure I have things prepared for the game and it doesn't take more time to get started, Sandari, Fey and Rii are starting from the werewolf hunting together or separate and Cask and Iohanna are starting from the meeting with Lady Morwen?
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
NostraDomus NostraDomus NostraDomus NostraDomus
That’s sounds good to me. That’s what I was thinking.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:26 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Vespers
Yes. Iohanna enjoyed a certain amount of upper-class interaction at the abbey with the knights, so calling on the nobility is within the social parameters of the Hand. Plus a roof and a bed would be nice to have tonight. Chase off some weirdo squatters? No worries.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:30 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24068
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Is there still room for one more? I’ve been looking for a TSL game for a while.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:36 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Vespers
I believe Red was indeed looking for another character.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Rhaiber: Of course there's room for one more!
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 01:46 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
@Red Leper: I have a quick question about the tone for this game. Is this meant to be a classic Ravenloft gothic horror flavour, but just using TSL rules? Or is it more of a deconstruction of the genre, mixing it with some of the tongue-in-cheek quirkiness of TSL?

I ask because I have two different character concepts in mind. One would use the Chosen playbook to build a magical girl (somewhere on the scale between Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica), a warrior princess with a tragic past that drives her to fight against monsters and injustice. The other would use the Sunhand playbook to make an incorrigibly optimistic ingenue with a bit of Miyazaki cottage-core flavour who is hyper focused on her ambitions for a successful food cart business and who serves as a support character for the more adventurous types.

Would one of those be a better fit for this game than the other?
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:33 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Rhaiber: I try to find a flavor based on the type of characters that are in my games rather than deciding on the flavor myself and I'm getting a more serious gothic horror flavor so the first suggestion might fit best.

I have my plans but I try to be a flexible DM.

Last edited by Red Leper; Jul 10th, 2024 at 04:35 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 12:18 PM
Gealdricge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7141
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
@Rhaiber
Could be some interesting dynamics between a Chosen playbook character and Llamacorns' Legion character who is essentially a (repeatedly) failed chosen one. Also might be interesting to explore the differences between being "Chosen" and "Devoted".
Otherwise, Sunhand is just super cool! I was thinking about playing one reskinned as an alchemist before I settled on my current concept.

Last edited by kanly; Jul 10th, 2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:50 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
Princess Luminara StarshimmerName: Princess Luminara “Lulu” Starshimmer
Gender/Pronouns/Orientation: Cis-female / she, her / demi-sexual
Age: I guess 18, maybe even a shade younger if that works.
Playbook: The Chosen.

Archetype/Concept: Magical Girl, somewhere on the spectrum between Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica: an ordinary girl who is granted mystical powers by an outside force and transforms into a magically empowered hero.

Aesthetics:
left-aligned image
Lulu
Lulu is a fairly ordinary young girl - at least she never thought of herself as anything special. She always lagged behind her peers in height, and physical development in general, often causing her to be mistaken for younger than she is - a misconception her softly rounded cherubic face and her wide, guileless eyes do little to dispel. When she can get away with it, she prefers to dress simply, in a common peasant dress made of plain cloth, and heavy well-worn boots far too big for her that give her a somewhat clownish appearance. There is a brightness to her smile that can be infectious, though.

right-aligned image
Princess Luminara Starshimmer
When she calls upon the magic of her ancestral calling, all of that changes: she no longer looks anything like a simple peasant farmgirl. Instead Princess Luminara Starshimmer appears as a tall, robust warrior encased in ornate gleaming magical armor. All her bumbling clumsiness is suddenly replaced by majestic grace and power, and her typically unruly hair grows longer, and yet manages to stay out of her way far better than when she is “just herself.”

Fears: duty and position getting in the way of personal connections; never being able to live a “normal” life again; imposter syndrome
Backstory:

Bullet form:
  • Many generations ago, a demon horde invaded Lulu’s homeworld. In order to defend against them, Lulu’s ancestor, Queen Lucia, summoned a powerful outsider and bound it to herself.
  • When Lucia grew old, the spirit-guide passed on to her heir and daughter, beginning a long line of hereditary mystic warriors.
  • Though powerful enough to fend off demon hordes, Lulu’s great-grandmother was unable to defend her family against the sort of standard political intrigue that allowed a usurper to steal the throne.
  • Lulu was raised secretly in exile, as a simple farmgirl, with no knowledge of her family heritage.
  • When Lulu’s mother was killed, the ancestral spirit was passed on to Lulu, along with the mantle and responsibilities of the Mystic Knight, protector of her home land. It has been a steep learning curve for her since then.
  • Although Lulu (and in fact most of her ancestors) always believed their family spirit to be celestial, Nyxx is actually a rogue devil who sought to break away from his archdevil overlords, largely because Hell is just a really terrible place to spend eternity. After centuries of “pretending” to be good, the innocence and purity of his mortal hosts has begun to rub off on him. Though not particularly evil (he wasn’t that bad to begin with, just too much a hedonist to cut it as an angel), he is still far from being redeemed since his motivations are primarily selfish.

Hook: could go with either the fog or the hunting, whichever works better for the rest of the group.
Posting capabilities: I typically check in on the site daily, but posting rate is often a bit slower based on the constant battle between inspiration and writer’s block. I can reasonably post 2-3 times/week, but which days those are may vary from week to week.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 07:45 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Rhaiber: I noticed some indecision with your character's hook. I am planning on starting the party in two separate groups that are going to meet in Barovia so you may choose either or you can wait until you read the opening game post and decide then. You'll either be with Sundari and Cask Sharplance, if you choose the hunting or with Fey, Rii and Iohanna if you choose to work for Lady Morwen.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 08:06 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright! I'm calling it! You are all invited with your amazing applications.

A Twisted Curse

Post your applications in the Disaster Lesbians thread and say 'Hi' in the Buxom Boudior!
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 08:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4504
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
do you still need your co-gm bossman?
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 11:57 PM
Gealdricge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7141
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Congradulations everyone!
Hmmm ... I thought Fay and Rii were starting with werewolf hunting and Cask was working for Lady Morwen.

Last edited by kanly; Yesterday at 12:00 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I didn't put names in the starting post so wherever you start your character. I might have had a brain fart there